Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I just slap on poison/fire resist decos on the sets that have space for them when fighting Cham/Teo. Feel like the full sets need a bit more thought to use as counters?

Also, there's always layered for dressing up. Does anyone know if there's a way to tie layered loadouts to normal gear loadouts? Or do you need to swap manually?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Layered Armor has its own loadout menu. Which I like a lot better than World tying it to your current real armor set, personally.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Has anyone built the rock paper scissor armor sets for fighting the elder dragons? I kinda wanna put away my max smashing builds and dress up as a purple wizard.

I used the Chameleos set with a poison SnS for fighting Kushala. It was fun, I don’t think he ever got to use his powered up moves since he was constantly poisoned.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Alxprit posted:

Layered Armor has its own loadout menu. Which I like a lot better than World tying it to your current real armor set, personally.

I would like the option to tie layered to armor loadouts instead of having to manage both independently

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I would like the option to tie layered to armor loadouts instead of having to manage both independently

It works both ways in Rise, actually. If you've got layered armor on and register a loadout, then it remembers the layered armor (and color pigments) that you had on. You just also have a separate layered armor loadout menu just in case you want to make a bunch of outfits to switch between whenever you feel like it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Likewise. I'd like to have my IG set look one way, and my Horn set to look another, and my gunner set to look another. Involving a second swap isn't the end of the world, but it's bit of an extra hassle.

e: Whoops, missed the post above. Will have to try that out.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Plasbad posted:

It works both ways in Rise, actually. If you've got layered armor on and register a loadout, then it remembers the layered armor (and color pigments) that you had on. You just also have a separate layered armor loadout menu just in case you want to make a bunch of outfits to switch between whenever you feel like it.

Do people not know that World also has this Layered Armor menu or something? You can save a layered loadout whenever you're customizing layered armors, just like (and separate from) customizing a gear loadout. I had a bunch that I used to swap between.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 3, 2021

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013

Kokoro Wish posted:

Do people not know that World also has this Layered Armor menu or something? You can save a layered loadout whenever you're customizing layered armors, just like (and separate from) customizing a gear loadout. I had a bunch that I used to swap between.

I had forgotten about it, since I didn't mess around as much with layered armor in World as much. It might have even been the same way back in GU.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Nah GU was transmog. You had to fuse your layered armor and actual equipment into a single piece. Was a pain if you wanted to used the same piece of transmog equipment in two different sets because you couldn't change the appearance between the two sets without making a 2nd piece.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Has anyone built the rock paper scissor armor sets for fighting the elder dragons? I kinda wanna put away my max smashing builds and dress up as a purple wizard.

I made them all. I had the most success against Kush because poison just shuts her the gently caress down hard. I also made the Chameleos layered armor cuz hell yeah who wouldn't want to dress up like a purple wizard?

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Nah GU was transmog. You had to fuse your layered armor and actual equipment into a single piece. Was a pain if you wanted to used the same piece of transmog equipment in two different sets because you couldn't change the appearance between the two sets without making a 2nd piece.

Oh yeah, I remember now. I used it to make my hammer build into the sailor outfit to go with my giant anchor. Man I miss that hammer.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i am not good at this game but i fought (village) goss harog yesterday afternoon and man he had a really bad time. so many shields to the face. i used a lot of healing items though.

then i fought HR great izuchi and he also had a really bad time due to a surprising number of shields to the face. his little izuchi followers seemed to be immortal and were annoying. right before he died, i just kept getting pounced and it was frustrating, but then he died so it was ok. im pretty sure the reason i kept getting knocked down out of nowhere was all the little fuckers that were around him

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009
Rise is the first monster hunter game I have played and I am absolutely hooked. At this point I've put about 160 hours into it. I've been thinking about dabbling in World on the pc but I would like to get it on sale. Unfortunately the base game isn't on steam sale but Iceborne is. I was thinking about picking up Iceborne now while its on sale and waiting for world to go on sale. My concern though is that I might not like World and investing in the xpac before trying the base game increases the entry point cost. Should I just pull the trigger on getting Iceborne on sale or just wait and get base world on sale to make sure I like it?

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Nosthula posted:

Rise is the first monster hunter game I have played and I am absolutely hooked. At this point I've put about 160 hours into it. I've been thinking about dabbling in World on the pc but I would like to get it on sale. Unfortunately the base game isn't on steam sale but Iceborne is. I was thinking about picking up Iceborne now while its on sale and waiting for world to go on sale. My concern though is that I might not like World and investing in the xpac before trying the base game increases the entry point cost. Should I just pull the trigger on getting Iceborne on sale or just wait and get base world on sale to make sure I like it?

You need World in order to play iceborne.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I think they're saying they want to play it and Iceborne is on sale but base World is not. So is it silly to buy the xpac on sale then wait on World base to go on sale so they have both but pay sale price on both.

To which I say, yes, that is silly. Just wait for base, buy base, play base, then make a decision re: Iceborne.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I'mma have to be the person on the other side saying if you like Monster Hunter Rise and the concept of the MonHun series, you will more than likely enjoy World and by extension Iceborne which is well worth the money investment. The Iceborne story final boss > World story final boss by a mile and for all that people complain about tenderizing the Clutch Claw added a bunch of cool moves to pretty much every weapon (a number of which got kept on to Rise because people liked them so much!) and tenderizing itself is in a fine place now with how long it lasts. Also wallbanging monsters is never not funny.

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009

Huxley posted:

Yeah, I think they're saying they want to play it and Iceborne is on sale but base World is not. So is it silly to buy the xpac on sale then wait on World base to go on sale so they have both but pay sale price on both.

To which I say, yes, that is silly. Just wait for base, buy base, play base, then make a decision re: Iceborne.

Correct, this is what I was asking. Thanks everyone for the input.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

Batterypowered7 posted:

Pretty sure you can overcharge your sword (phials glowing) and it attacks slightly faster, hits harder, and also adds phial damage to the sword, so good for KOs with Impact or just more elemental damage.

E: https://youtu.be/qpeG8ziEqTU

You can see a dude go HAM on a monster at around the 1:10 mark.

This is from yesterday, but just in case you're interested. It's not that the sword attacks faster when charged, its that attacks that bounce have no hitstop. You see in the video when he's going nuts with the sword it's overcharged into glowing red. So every attack wants to bounce, thus no hitstop, but since the sword is charged they won't. It does make a pretty big difference in number of attacks you can get in a timeframe.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Don't get me wrong, if you love Rise I am sure you are going to love World/IB. I've just learned the hard way that I personally save more money paying full price for something when I want to play it right away vs buying things I expect to like in the future because it's cheap, even though I'm not interested in it right that moment.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Apex Mizutsune feels like the toughest monster right now judging by carts in pugs, which is cool and good. Though that may partly be because the mission's at night and it's difficult to see well with the colors involved and all the critting LBGs (please tone it down Capcom) - it was actually difficult to see the tells as a GL. LBG don't care about tells. LBG just don't care.

But Apex Mizu has cool new moves and hits like a truck too. I didn't do the deviants in GU, so dunno if that moveset is from there.

The Elders are cool and good too, love the new Kushala. They've added cool new attacks to compensate for being able to hit it in the first place.

In general, this game has a lot of detail: the armors and weapon designs, the weapon reworks, the monsters themselves. Love it.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Honestly if there was an option to turn off allies hit effects and make their minions transparent in-combat I would use it because this game can be an absolute visual cacophony. FFXIV does it for spell effects and it can be a necessity.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Huxley posted:

Don't get me wrong, if you love Rise I am sure you are going to love World/IB. I've just learned the hard way that I personally save more money paying full price for something when I want to play it right away vs buying things I expect to like in the future because it's cheap, even though I'm not interested in it right that moment.

This is 100% the way to buy and play games. Only buy a game when you’re totally ready to play it. Otherwise it will likely sit unplayed for all of eternity.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Almudron is a right bastard. I don’t like you, filthdragon.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Huxley posted:

Yep, for every game I've played I have ten half-price bargains I barely touched.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Pierson posted:

Honestly if there was an option to turn off allies hit effects and make their minions transparent in-combat I would use it because this game can be an absolute visual cacophony. FFXIV does it for spell effects and it can be a necessity.

This would be great.

Even restricting it to one crit effect per shot instead of showing individual crits for each pierce or spread tick works be nice. I know they're all rolling individually, but we don't need to know, Capcom.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

also if you're jonesing for more monster hunter after trying out rise then MHGU is actually an option on the switch as well and frequently goes on sale for 20 bucks. it's absolutely a bit harder to get into, but rise is closer to MHGU than it is world in terms of overall structure and switch skills are actually kind of like a spiritual sequel to the hunter arts and styles in MHGU.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Johnny Joestar posted:

also if you're jonesing for more monster hunter after trying out rise then MHGU is actually an option on the switch as well and frequently goes on sale for 20 bucks. it's absolutely a bit harder to get into, but rise is closer to MHGU than it is world in terms of overall structure and switch skills are actually kind of like a spiritual sequel to the hunter arts and styles in MHGU.

This makes me want to make a "So you loved RISE and are thinking of getting GU ..." survival post for the OP.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

If you're enjoying Rise and want something very similar, you should absolutely pick up Toukiden 2 when it is on the rare KT sale. It has weapons that have some similarity with MH versions, but a lot that are entirely their own thing, the demon claw in it is all but a predecessor to wirebugs and it did an openish world before MH world did, and you also get AI companions that are reasonably competent if the multiplayer is dead (which I assume it is). Monster designs are also pretty much all based on oni and youkai. Sadly you'd now have just missed a sale that was a couple weeks back. I think it got marked down to ~$20.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Almudron is a right bastard. I don’t like you, filthdragon.

I like almudron but if I would be lying if I said I ever had a fight with one that wasn't a complete mess of getting bonked by random attacks, chugging potions, and hitting the wrong parts.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 3, 2021

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Johnny Joestar posted:

I booted GU back up while waiting for 2.0 and it's both incredibly rough to go back to and incredibly good.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Which is Monster Hunter's greatest NEET: Almudron, Val Hazaak, or Nakarkos?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Phantasy Star Online has been the big old hook that got me to stick to Rise, if you want to dig really deep you can run PSO Ep. 1 & 2 on Dolphin and hunt for rare drops on Ragol.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Nosthula posted:

Steam has the Iceborne Master Edition on sale which is World and Iceborne for $35.
https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/13013/Monster_Hunter_World_Iceborne_Master_Edition/

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Johnny Joestar posted:

ehhhh

i tried GU after playing a ton of World and I bounced off of it so drat hard. GU doesnt have nearly as many quality-of-life stuff and it just is a death by a thousand cuts kinda thing where any one annoyance isnt a deal breaker, but they add up very quickly and it makes the game feel like a slog imo

I vastly prefer World over GU

tbf tho, the hunter arts are pretty drat cool

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

Saint Freak posted:

All of the blast, all of the partbreaker, all of the explosions. I call this 'gently caress monster parts get money'.

https://i.imgur.com/W7mXJQd.mp4

Looks like I have a new weapon to try. Tell me more about your build!

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009

PerniciousKnid posted:

Yep, for every game I've played I have ten half-price bargains I barely touched.
This is the sad truth for me too.

EDIT: Tricked into buying it because of the below mentioned pack!

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009

Oldstench posted:

Steam has the Iceborne Master Edition on sale which is World and Iceborne for $35.
https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/13013/Monster_Hunter_World_Iceborne_Master_Edition/

Nice catch, thank you!

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Icebjorne is fantastic, congrats

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Cats and dogs jumping into battle and making blue and yellow status fart clouds everywhere is ridiculous, ngl. Like I love it but it looks silly.

I get why they let you bring your buddy to 4 players hunts, so you can ride your dog around. They could have just left them off to the side to idle until you called them though. I get thats an option you can pick but no one will actually pick that.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
I really hate Bazelgeuse. Guess it's time to farm dung.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
If you look VERY CAREFULLY, you can see a Rathian underneath the light show. :v:

https://twitter.com/TaurusOxford/status/1389318439328616450