Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

horchata posted:

Made focaccia

Looks great. I have to make some on my cast iron sometime soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
My sourdough starter has never tripled after feeding, it very consistently peaks at about 2.5x. I feel like the foodie blogger types all say it should be 3-4x if it’s truly healthy. Should I not worry about the difference? It’s clearly not like it’s dead or anything.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

fourwood posted:

My sourdough starter has never tripled after feeding, it very consistently peaks at about 2.5x. I feel like the foodie blogger types all say it should be 3-4x if it’s truly healthy. Should I not worry about the difference? It’s clearly not like it’s dead or anything.

no

volume will depend on so many factors:

- the specific microbial makeup of your starter
- the type of flour and where you source it
- the environmental conditions where it’s stored and where it proofs
- the precise percentage of water
- the size and shape of the container you use

personally i consider anything 2x and up to be good to go

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
So I've been working from this recipe:

280 g lukewarm water
2g yeast
350g or 2 1/4 C. AP FLOUR
50g or ROUGHLY 1/3 C. WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR
10g or roughly 1.5 TSP KOSHER SALT
Poolish (300g)

It tends to make one huge round loaf, but I'd like to split the dough and bake half tonight and half tomorrow after an overnight ferment in the fridge. When should I split it and how would using a smaller loaf affect baking time? I've been doing 500 for 12 min and 485 for 20ish.

edit: I think I found the answers, I was phrasing my search wrong. Cut the bake time by almost half, and chuck the dough in after shaping for anyone who was curious.

Guildenstern Mother fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 23, 2021

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

mediaphage posted:

no

volume will depend on so many factors:

- the specific microbial makeup of your starter
- the type of flour and where you source it
- the environmental conditions where it’s stored and where it proofs
- the precise percentage of water
- the size and shape of the container you use

personally i consider anything 2x and up to be good to go
Thanks. I sorta figured as much but felt like I should check. Just in case it’s hurting my rises or something. (I guess it’s just that I’m a bad baker :negative:)

Googling it is a little hard because there’s a ton of info about just starter in general, but falling into 2 different categories:
* your new starter is finally ready once it’s doubling after you feed it!
* your starter is healthy when it triples after you feed it!
Nobody wants to talk about the in-between!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

fourwood posted:

Thanks. I sorta figured as much but felt like I should check. Just in case it’s hurting my rises or something. (I guess it’s just that I’m a bad baker :negative:)

Googling it is a little hard because there’s a ton of info about just starter in general, but falling into 2 different categories:
* your new starter is finally ready once it’s doubling after you feed it!
* your starter is healthy when it triples after you feed it!
Nobody wants to talk about the in-between!

and it doesn't help that most of the information you find on line is, if not wrong, then at best misguided.

really the time almost doesn't matter as long as it's rising at all; when people talk about being "ready" or "healthy" what they're really saying is that they want a starter that will ferment their loaves quickly, almost like a commercial yeast if possible. if you're willing to go for a long, slow ferment (which also helps develop flavour), then sometimes it doesn't matter.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Hey thread, please remind me. If I use a glass jar for my starter, and it's got an airtight lid, that's fine, right? I know I should have it at least tightly closed, if not air tight, in the fridge, but what about if it's out on the counter?

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

neogeo0823 posted:

Hey thread, please remind me. If I use a glass jar for my starter, and it's got an airtight lid, that's fine, right? I know I should have it at least tightly closed, if not air tight, in the fridge, but what about if it's out on the counter?
I’m far from an expert but I think loosely covered is good/fine, e.g. a screw top lid that’s mostly unscrewed. If my lid is on too tight I can get a lot of condensation on the sides of the jar which feels bad to me.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

You probably don’t want it actually sealed for an active starter, it would be very happy to explode your jar I’m sure.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Nah you're not getting that pressure. 110g starter in a sealed Mason jar will never blow it and there is enough oxygen that you won't be going anaerobic. There's also the advantage of not always smelling your starter.

Ymmv if you're using an undersized container but I've always used delitainers or masons with no issue.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Full disclosure: I had asked that question after buying the jar and transferring the starter over to it. I had the starter in a much more open container until recently, and it nearly dried out completely when I accidentally forgot to feed it. I switched to the sealable jar two and salvaged some of the starter from the bottom of the old container to start again in there. The first day it didn't react much, but the 2nd day the starter was nice and bubbly, with tiny, almost foamy looking bubbles, with a good pungent starter aroma. Tomorrow I'll feed it and put it back in the fridge, since I'm not going to be baking for a while again. I hadn't considered the exploding jar angle though, so I'll make sure not to fill it too full. Right now the jar's less than a quarter full.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i always keep mine tightly covered tbqh

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Exploding glass scares the poo poo out of me so I use a plastic container but to each their own.

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

I got one of these for my birthday a couple years ago, I love it
https://shop.kingarthurbaking.com/i...aRoCwzIQAvD_BwE

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Nah you're not getting that pressure. 110g starter in a sealed Mason jar will never blow it and there is enough oxygen that you won't be going anaerobic. There's also the advantage of not always smelling your starter.

Ymmv if you're using an undersized container but I've always used delitainers or masons with no issue.

Yeah I looked it up, sounds like the lid usually doesn’t let pressure build up very much (which makes sense, during canning you’re trying to drive out air so you can make a vacuum after it cools). So the lids must be designed to not seal well against positive pressure.

I’m always a pessimist so I think of the worst case scenario of like jar half full, freshly fed starter, close the lid really tight.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Yeast can go from aerobic to anaerobic depending on environment.

You can put the lid on as tight as you want. However, anaerobic processes are slower and generate more ethanol so at some point it will slow down and stop and eventually the ethanol will kill off the yeast.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I've gotten bad rises on my last few weekly loaves because of laziness with my shaping and stretch and folds. So gratified to see this rise and chonky ear this morning!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Murgos posted:

Yeast can go from aerobic to anaerobic depending on environment.

You can put the lid on as tight as you want. However, anaerobic processes are slower and generate more ethanol so at some point it will slow down and stop and eventually the ethanol will kill off the yeast.

this is probably not going to be a huge concern on the timeline of most of these starters, though

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

babby's first baguettes:

i followed the king arthur recipe using the sourdough starter option for the poolish, baked on a steel. shaping is obviously a bit wonky and i didn't lame deeply enough, but overall i'm pretty happy with how they came out. topped with homemade ricotta and olive oil makes a darn fine meal.

Chard fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 30, 2021

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

they look great!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Chard posted:

babby's first baguettes:

i followed the king arthur recipe using the sourdough starter option for the poolish, baked on a steel. shaping is obviously a bit wonky and i didn't lame deeply enough, but overall i'm pretty happy with how they came out. topped with homemade ricotta and olive oil makes a darn fine meal.

Would eat.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
i fucken love bread

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Made the king arthur english muffin toasting bread and holy poo poo it's easy. Mix stuff, put in loaf pan, rise and bake. Came out great and it's got a perfect crumb for toast. Lots of little pockets ready to suck up butter.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Made the king arthur english muffin toasting bread and holy poo poo it's easy. Mix stuff, put in loaf pan, rise and bake. Came out great and it's got a perfect crumb for toast. Lots of little pockets ready to suck up butter.

barkbell posted:

i fucken love bread

Honestly, a fresh loaf and a crock of butter and I'm good. Start a new fad, the fresh bread diet. It's bread and water (and butter) and as much fresh veggies as you want. Cheat days are a couple of ounces of prosciutto and bufalo moz.

I feel like I could make that work. Don't think I would lose any weight though.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

were it not for various health implications i could easily eat a loaf of hot buttered bread every day of my life and not be sick of it

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Murgos posted:

Honestly, a fresh loaf and a crock of butter and I'm good. Start a new fad, the fresh bread diet. It's bread and water (and butter) and as much fresh veggies as you want. Cheat days are a couple of ounces of prosciutto and bufalo moz.

I feel like I could make that work. Don't think I would lose any weight though.

“You won’t lose weight but you’ll be very happy!”

mediaphage posted:

were it not for various health implications i could easily eat a loaf of hot buttered bread every day of my life and not be sick of it

When I’ve baked a loaf and then eat some I have to stop myself at a certain point as I feel like I could go on to eat a LOT more.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I've settled into a comfortable bread routine of late: sourdough pain de mie and sourdough country loaf on alternating weekends. Both get sliced the day of and frozen. The pain de mie is for WFH sandwiches for lunch and the country loaf is generally for breakfast, either as toast for its own sake or as the base for a fried egg.

Don't need anything fancier really. Just bread.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I keep seeing bread cutting guides through targeted adds, anyone have any experience of them? Seem gimmicky.

What is your defrost system for the slices? Toaster? Or does it defrost ok at room temp to be like fresh?

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
I lost my no knead recipe I got from here years ago.

I am finally back in a bread making mood since my kids are finally semi people now. Can you all hit me with some no knead recipes?

I do have a good dutch oven. Or a couple cast iron skillets 10 and 12 inch respectively. Just looking for some basic crusty country'ish bread! House temp is usually 67F.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

One of the main go to no-knead recipes is from King Arthur Baking.

e: or sort of the OG by NYT Cooking, but may be paywalled, I dunno.

fourwood fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 4, 2021

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Kilazar posted:

I am finally back in a bread making mood since my kids are finally semi people now. Can you all hit me with some no knead recipes?

I do have a good dutch oven. Or a couple cast iron skillets 10 and 12 inch respectively. Just looking for some basic crusty country'ish bread! House temp is usually 67F.

for what it's worth, there's nothing specific to no-knead bread that makes it much different from traditional bread. it's mostly about giving the dough time to hydrate and form the gluten structures in your dough. an average loaf might be 450 grams of flour (a pound), 70% of that weight in water, 2% in salt, and 1% in yeast. mix it together, put it in a greased bowl, and shove it in the fridge overnight. then you can bake it in a loaf pan or small covered dish, as you wish. you can make it bigger or smaller as you like by using whatever amount of flour you want and scaling the rest accordingly.

a good starting temp trial for a covered dish is to preheat to 450F, put in your dough, and decrease the oven temp to 400F. bake until the internal temperature registers at least 200F for a lean, unenriched bread.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

fourwood posted:

One of the main go to no-knead recipes is from King Arthur Baking.

e: or sort of the OG by NYT Cooking, but may be paywalled, I dunno.

I haven't read this whole thing yet, but Kenji Lopez-Alt breaks down that OG NYT Cooking no knead recipe here and I'm told by a couple of friends that it's a very interesting article.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

CancerCakes posted:

I keep seeing bread cutting guides through targeted adds, anyone have any experience of them? Seem gimmicky.

What is your defrost system for the slices? Toaster? Or does it defrost ok at room temp to be like fresh?

I bought a plastic one and it's fine, I guess. A sharper bread knife and more experience cutting loaves means I don't use it anymore though.

I usually want toast, so I go straight to the toaster from the freezer. I've defrosted at room temperature in my lunch bag when I wanted it ready for sandwiches, too, and it's fine. (I love toast so I don't do that much.)

Kilazar posted:

Seconding everyone above, plus adding in Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day. The basic recipe is free on the site. I don't use VWG mine, though.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

beerinator posted:

I haven't read this whole thing yet, but Kenji Lopez-Alt breaks down that OG NYT Cooking no knead recipe here and I'm told by a couple of friends that it's a very interesting article.
Oh man, that’s just from today even? Well you had me at Kenji Lopez-Alt, so thanks, I’ll give it a read.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
My Basic:

500g bread flour (any kind)
1/4tsp yeast
1tsp salt
350-400ml water (depending on flour - wholewheat and rye need more), enough for the dough to come together easily.
Leave to rise under a damp cloth for 12-18 hours.
Knock down, shape, cover to rise for about 2 hours or until it doesn’t spring back when poked.
Slash.
Bake at 230c for 25 mins covered and then for 25m uncovered at 190c.
Easy.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

CancerCakes posted:

I always toast. Setting 4 if it's a thick slice or I want toast toast. Usually a 2 or a 3 if I'm just making a sandwich.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
I've always wanted to keep starters in the fridge or do overnight rise in the fridge but I don't cause I have kids and very little time that is not at work or cleaning other areas of the house that is not the fridge..... and our fridge.. is often a science experiment in smells that get imparted to everything in there. So I'm just going with things I can let rise on the counter lol

Thanks for recipes though. I'll get them into my one note so I don't lose them this time!

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Kilazar posted:

I've always wanted to keep starters in the fridge or do overnight rise in the fridge but I don't cause I have kids and very little time that is not at work or cleaning other areas of the house that is not the fridge..... and our fridge.. is often a science experiment in smells that get imparted to everything in there. So I'm just going with things I can let rise on the counter lol

Thanks for recipes though. I'll get them into my one note so I don't lose them this time!
On the counter will get you basically the same thing, you just can’t leave it for as long. There will be differences, but they’re more minor. Basically if you see a recipe that says “stick it in the fridge for 24+ hours”, replace that with “let it sit covered on the counter for 8-12 hours” and you’ll be in the ballpark.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Kilazar posted:

fourwood posted:

On the counter will get you basically the same thing, you just can’t leave it for as long. There will be differences, but they’re more minor. Basically if you see a recipe that says “stick it in the fridge for 24+ hours”, replace that with “let it sit covered on the counter for 8-12 hours” and you’ll be in the ballpark.

this is mostly true but also, you can absolutely leave a dough on the counter for a full day with few to no ill effects; the only thing i'd think about modifying is to use a minimum amount of yeast for such a long ferment (think a gram or two tops).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
Made cookie butter babka over the weekend...and immediately threw it up cause I had the bright idea of making it after getting my 2nd covid shot. Tastes good though now that I've recovered.