Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the 2000s was a major step on the ladder of america's plunge into hell, but it also had clone high and the entirety of the Playstation 2 library

on the other hand it had all those I Love the XX's shows and that really bad Get Smart remake

but it also had the batshit insane charlies angels full throttle

a decade of contrasts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

8one6 posted:

Just finished both of these and yeah, you folks might have been a bit nicer than he deserves.

I am going to now listen to the rest of your podcast because these two episodes were pretty good.

Well thank you very much, I hope you enjoy!

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Sydin posted:

Now the cartoons, the cartoons in the 90's loving slapped. Some good live action stuff too like Pete & Pete. It was also like the golden age of dumb as poo poo awesome toys. If you were a kid in the US during the 90's who was blissfully unaware of politics, it fuckin' ruled yo.

Every now and then I'll see kids on twitter talking about how cartoons in the 2000s (which I thought were terrible compared to 90s cartoons) were the real poo poo and cartoons nowadays just suck. pretty sure every generation of kids thinks they have the best cartoons.

I remember being 10 years old in 2004/2005 watching HiHi Puffy Ami Yumi and Camp Lazlo and just being miserable at how bad those shows were compared to Johnny Bravo and Ed Edd n Eddy.

lol in retrospect these shows seemed very far apart to me but they all debuted within a couple years of each other

Casey Finnigan fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 3, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Casey Finnigan posted:

Every now and then I'll see kids on twitter talking about how cartoons in the 2000s (which I thought were terrible compared to 90s cartoons) were the real poo poo and cartoons nowadays just suck. pretty sure every generation of kids thinks they have the best cartoons.

I remember being 10 years old in 2004 watching HiHi Puffy Ami Yumi and Camp Lazlo and just being miserable at how bad those shows were compared to Johnny Bravo and Ed Edd n Eddy.

i think the early/mid 00's cartoons were poo poo but the late and 2010s cartoons were overall pretty good. apparently alot of the disney cartoons now are really good on multiple levels.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Casey Finnigan posted:

I remember being 10 years old in 2004/2005 watching HiHi Puffy Ami Yumi and Camp Lazlo and just being miserable at how bad those shows were compared to Johnny Bravo and Ed Edd n Eddy.

Well, your problem is comparing 2 of the best 90s toons with 2 extremely mediocre and forgettable 2000s toons, which isn't really fair imo. A better comparison would be "The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy" and "Chowder" from the 2000s, which are both loving hilarious

Jamie Faith fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 3, 2021

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The 00s gave us Johnny Test and thus it can never be forgiven

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

The 90s gave us Yo Yogi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvEPZ5yLEDA&ab_channel=K.J.Norman

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Benne posted:

Can't that one be blamed on Canada?

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

At the end of the day, every decade has its fair share of gold and crap.

The best decade is usually the one you grew up in. Probably a coincidence :shepface:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Hot take the 2010s had better cartoons than either of those decades

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

yeah, people forget their was alot of dumb/bad cartoons in the 90s too. its just those were mostly in the early 90s.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Benne posted:

I mean yeah, Steven Universe, Adventure Time, and Gumball are 3 of the greatest, maybe even the greatest cartoons ever made so fair enough. I'm just saying it's very easy to point to bad cartoons of a decade and go "see? all garbage" or cherry pick good ones to make your case. :)

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Benne posted:

I know I'm several pages late on the Elfen Lied discourse, but I just wanted to say that Hazel did an incredible job contextualizing the era in which it came out, and just how a show that today is seen as embarrassing and dated somehow managed to connect with people at the time.

It's the type of show that could have only been popular in that very specific period of the early-mid 2000s, where anime, goth/emo, and online forums morphed into this weird Voltron of counterculture that I don't think has been replicated since then. Or maybe it has and that's my nostalgia talking :v: Either way, if you can carve out 2 hours the video is well worth watching, especially if you're of a certain age and remember what a thing that show used to be, even if we all agree it sucks now.

Which video?

VanSandman posted:

Can't that one be blamed on Canada?

Hey the creator and several writers/voice actors (possibly animators too?) were american don't put that poo poo on us. :colbert:

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 3, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Benne posted:

id agree with that on various levels.. same with kids cartoons now. the writing is alot better as the humor and they arnt afraid to have stakes.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Acerbatus posted:

Which video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trwdaJA-6z8

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Whatever decade birthed total drama is automatically in last place

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Kids' cartoons peaked with art deco Batman

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
in 20 years people are gonna be arguing about which generation of minecraft youtubers was the best to watch growing up

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
No cartoon has surpassed Hey Arnold in terms of writing, shame that the creator's plans for the movies and their following into a Daria-influenced spin-off about Helga's HS life got derailed. That and their attempt to revive the series resulted in a thoroughly mediocre movie that completely ignores the emotional core of the original series in its search for huge bombastic stakes.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Casey Finnigan posted:

in 20 years people are gonna be arguing about which generation of minecraft youtubers was the best to watch growing up

The Yogscast, before the Simon and Lewis channel became the Lewis and other Friends and once every full moon Simon is there, playing Garry's Mod (Garry's Mod. STILL GARY'S MOD?? IN 2021??)

edit: Actually the best Minecraft youtuber is Danny Gonzalez

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Benne posted:

more like johnny testicles

cuz it sucked balls

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Sydin posted:

No cartoon has surpassed Hey Arnold in terms of writing, shame that the creator's plans for the movies and their following into a Daria-influenced spin-off about Helga's HS life got derailed. That and their attempt to revive the series resulted in a thoroughly mediocre movie that completely ignores the emotional core of the original series in its search for huge bombastic stakes.

His bedroom and the ambience of the show in general are just embedded into my brain.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

i like that she gives a shout out to people like me.

i only know it because of the puppy thing.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Sydin posted:

Arnold's Christmas was a hell of an episode to experience as a first-grader. And it's so great.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

justice league unlimited was in 2004
that show kicked rear end

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Chad Jihad posted:

Whatever decade birthed total drama is automatically in last place

There’s probably an interesting video to make on that weird spate of Canadian animation with TDI, that show at the mall and probably some more I’m forgetting.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcUB-3lud60

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I think we can at least agree that 70s and 80s cartoons were terrible with the exception for the Simpsons.

The 70s were just Scooby ripoffs and the 80s were the toy companies at their most transparent.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Pants Donkey posted:

I think we can at least agree that 70s and 80s cartoons were terrible with the exception for the Simpsons.

The 70s were just Scooby ripoffs and the 80s were the toy companies at their most transparent.

I like Jem, and I didn't even grow up in the 80s. I just like girly stuff and pop songs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkQE5wuBFeY

And it did try here and there for more serious, substantive writing.

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011

Pants Donkey posted:

The Simpsons is purely 90s. Nobody remembers that first season and the show started going downhill right as Futurama started airing.

englerp
Oct 13, 2011

Pants Donkey posted:

Original TMNT and Ducktales and some of the other Disney stuff from that era were not bad. (Even though the first 2 are surpassed by their reboots).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Archer666 posted:

Wouldn't surprise me. Women can have just as hosed up tastes as men do. In the fujo (girl otaku) circles, most of the popular gay romance manga/anime either start, or at some point just have, a rapey sequence. Or age-based power imbalance.
fujo has a waayyy more complicated origin than just 'girl otaku' and means a very specifci type of female otaku. also that was only really true in like the 90s or so, these days that kinda series isnt nearly as common.

also theres a ton of 'this girl/thing is cute but has hosed up stuff happen to it' type stuff thats hugely popular with women, elfen lied fits into that genre and also if youre a dumb 15 year old whos picked on at school it both feels how the bullying feels to you even if the bullying in elfen lied is actually ridiculously over the top, and is something foreign and weird that nobody would understand what it is much less make fun of it. its not really a surprise american girls loved it

Endorph fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 4, 2021

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Asuron posted:

His bedroom and the ambience of the show in general are just embedded into my brain.

Was there ever an explanation on why Arnold had such an awesome bedroom?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The episode about Mr. Hyunh's story in Hey Arnold hits me hard every time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ok--WYeBdc

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

mycot posted:

Was there ever an explanation on why Arnold had such an awesome bedroom?

arnold is an awesome kid

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You know what cartoon I never see anyone mention? The Cramp Twins. If I didn't have such vivid memories of watching it as a kid I'd almost think I made it up somehow. I didn't like it at the time, but I watched it anyway. Kids are idiots.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Whichever decade had mega babies is the worst decade

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dabir posted:

You know what cartoon I never see anyone mention? The Cramp Twins. If I didn't have such vivid memories of watching it as a kid I'd almost think I made it up somehow. I didn't like it at the time, but I watched it anyway. Kids are idiots.

i'm pretty sure you did make it up because i've never heard of it in my life

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Casey Finnigan posted:

people were already doing this at least a couple years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’ve seen the Cramp twins. It was a show that aired on Cartoon Network and my little brother watched that channel as much as I did when I was his age. It showed up. It was bad.

The boring dynamic of the brainy stuck up brother vs the rowdy trouble brother. I think they were gross people idk.