Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Calling my gut "bulbous bow" from now on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

If my date tonight goes well maybe I'll be showing her my "bulbous bow" :heysexy:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Cockblocktopus posted:

If my date tonight goes well maybe I'll be showing her my "bulbous bow" :heysexy:

if it's that bulbous you should probably get it checked by a doctor first

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
This was a while ago and sorry for not going back and checking but thank you to whoever recommended "The Secret History of Western Esotericism"

It's been really fun trying to figure out if it's just interesting intellectual history or if he's slowly trying to convince me that magic is real.

Also, on Tides of History: the thing I really appreciate is that he actually talks about larger historical trends and forces ("tides", if you will) that span multiple areas and eras.

My complaint with a lot of history podcasts is that they present a very detailed, but also very "flat" and sequential narrative, and never really abstract into more general explanations and connections. The British History Podcast is especially bad for this I think.

Are there any others like Tides that are good for that (I guess the more Marxist, materialist side)? I've already done Revolutions and have started the Fall of Civilizations...

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

fuf posted:

This was a while ago and sorry for not going back and checking but thank you to whoever recommended "The Secret History of Western Esotericism"

It's been really fun trying to figure out if it's just interesting intellectual history or if he's slowly trying to convince me that magic is real.

Also, on Tides of History: the thing I really appreciate is that he actually talks about larger historical trends and forces ("tides", if you will) that span multiple areas and eras.

My complaint with a lot of history podcasts is that they present a very detailed, but also very "flat" and sequential narrative, and never really abstract into more general explanations and connections. The British History Podcast is especially bad for this I think.

Are there any others like Tides that are good for that (I guess the more Marxist, materialist side)? I've already done Revolutions and have started the Fall of Civilizations...

There's the small podcast Inward Empire, about American history. Its really quite good, the guy goes into good detail but also weaves a narrative and makes analogies without going full Batman boxing Clint Eastwood sorta stuff.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Scene on Radio goes through American history following a theme each season. I listened to the three most recent seasons (Seeing White, MEN, and The Land That Never Has Been Yet) about a year ago and they were all pretty good; you'd probably want to start with the most recent season.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Count Roland posted:

There's the small podcast Inward Empire, about American history. Its really quite good, the guy goes into good detail but also weaves a narrative and makes analogies without going full Batman boxing Clint Eastwood sorta stuff.

It’s quite good, but a fair warning that the pace of content is super slow. The guy has only managed 14 episodes in six years, which is slow even by Dan Carlin standards

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Inward Empire is so so good. That podcaster has the perfect voice, tone and style. Huge fan

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The Ambrose Bierce episode is a history podcast MVP. I've listened to it so many times

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The first series was superb. Really got me into early american colonial history

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

The Red Scare episodes were my favourite. The creator is/was a student, which I assume explains the show rate of production.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Inward empire is extremely good.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I agree with everyone piling love onto Inward Empire.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 25, 2021

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Inward empire is, frankly, someone wasting, or failing to be sufficiently recognized for, thier immense talents. They should write and narrate a book asap.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Honestly, yeah. Too Good For Podcasting.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

fuf posted:

The English history does this on between narratives, going back and giving a social history in between politics.

He also starts every monarchs reign by giving a history of how that monarch has been seen over the years and why

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

+1 for "literally every episode of Inward Empire is great." I knew a ton about some subjects and went in cold for others and both experiences were great.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
If anyone enjoyed the Blowback series about the Iraq War, the same guys are about to release season two, this time focusing on the October Crisis, aka the Caribbean Crisis, aka the Cuban Missile Crisis.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Any good podcasts on Bernie Madoff? (he died)

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

busalover posted:

https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/radiolab/articles/radiolab-presents-ponzi-supernova is probably the best

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

busalover posted:

I will never get over the fact that the dude's name describes what he did

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Theres a decent audiobook called No One Would Listen

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Violet_Sky posted:

I will never get over the fact that the dude's name describes what he did

arson.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm caught up on Tides of History, Revolutions, History of Byzantium, History of English, and Inward Empires. Where do I go next?

I like extended prose essay or academic interview format and dislike panel of talking heads podcasts.

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?
I like The British History Podcast (starts off a bit rough production-wise but improves) and Fall of Civilizations. Hardcore History really isn't my thing--the subjects he chooses aren't really of interest to me--but it also has a devoted fanbase.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Thanks! Ill check both out

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

CommonShore posted:

I'm caught up on Tides of History, Revolutions, History of Byzantium, History of English, and Inward Empires. Where do I go next?

I like extended prose essay or academic interview format and dislike panel of talking heads podcasts.

There are Robert Caro books, like the Robert Moses books or the LBJ trilogy, on audible, and they're extremely well written and "prosey" while also being thoroughly researched history I've seen other historians praise. They're what I turn to when the exact same podcasts you mention run dry.

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?

CommonShore posted:

Thanks! Ill check both out

I should forewarn you, the BHP is granular. It's currently on episode 370, and we mayyyy hit the Battle of Hastings around 400? It's unclear. Anyway, if that's not your thing, then it probably won't be your thing.

Also, if you're looking for interviews, Dan Snow's History Hit and History Extra are both good--usually interviews with academics about an upcoming anniversary of a historical event or who have a book coming out on a certain subject. They're both UK-based so they're primarily European history focused.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

JaneError posted:

I like The British History Podcast (starts off a bit rough production-wise but improves) and Fall of Civilizations. Hardcore History really isn't my thing--the subjects he chooses aren't really of interest to me--but it also has a devoted fanbase.

Fall of Rome is the precursor to Tides of History and a bit rough sometimes but really really interesting. It doesn't have the music etc. like Tides so a lot of people might actually prefer it.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
In the Shadows of Utopia might be good for you, although it has yet to actually reach the subject of its podcast: the Khmer Rouge regime in Cambodia.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

JaneError posted:

I should forewarn you, the BHP is granular. It's currently on episode 370, and we mayyyy hit the Battle of Hastings around 400? It's unclear. Anyway, if that's not your thing, then it probably won't be your thing.

Also, if you're looking for interviews, Dan Snow's History Hit and History Extra are both good--usually interviews with academics about an upcoming anniversary of a historical event or who have a book coming out on a certain subject. They're both UK-based so they're primarily European history focused.

Granular and dry is extremely my thing. The more that a podcaster resists making things "fun" the more I'm on board.

I've listened to The Fall of Rome too. I forgot that it's technically separate from Tides as I just rolled straight from one to the next.

I might have to get Audible at some point.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

When diplomacy fails might be up your alley it can get really really in the weeds about certain diplomatic meetings. His treaty of versailles series is 85 episodes for instance. Most aren't nearly that long though, but just as well researched

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Gaius Marius posted:

His treaty of versailles series is 85 episodes for instance.

now we're talkin

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'll back up the Fall of Civilizations podcast recc, it's really well told. For history about a specific region/topic I really like both History of Ancient Egypt and History of English. If you want a digression from history, I can recommend Lexicon Valley for linguistics with John McWhorter, but note that A) he only takes over the podcast around episode 30 or so, before then its the talking heads format that you don't like and the hosts aren't the best, B) he sometimes pushes his own pet theories about linguistics, so it does help to read around a bit more to see other opinions and C) he sometimes has really dumb opinions about non-linguistics stuff off-podcast. If you're alright with that they don't really bleed into the podcast itself at least.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

CommonShore posted:

10 American Presidents might not be a bad fit for you; I'd start at the beginning because there's at least two Part One episodes that don't have Part Twos yet (Reagan and the Election of 1960).

American Elections: Wicked Game was fine if you don't know a ton about the elections but probably nonessential if you know the basics of the elections in question.

Infamous America is pretty fun if a little different from what you're asking for; it focuses on true crime-type stories from US History (the Black Sox, Bonnie and Clyde, Leopold and Loeb, currently the Miami Drug War) in a pretty straightforward narrative.

Lost Notes: 1980 is a pretty good history podcast about music from around 1980; the John Lennon/Darby Crash episode is really good in particular.

Noble Blood is pretty good for royal history; I hit my fill on Aaron Mahnke stuff a few years ago but I keep coming back to this one. (Whichever thing he did about the Salem Witch Trials was good too)

Very Presidential was really well-done; presidential history but focused on the flaws and shortcomings of its subjects.

You Must Remember This is coming back and focuses on Hollywood history; the Manson series is usually the one that gets recommended but all the seasons I've listened to have been great.

+1 for most of the recommendations in the thread as well; When Diplomacy Fails and The Shadows of Utopia are both excellent and run by recent graduate students -- they come across as passion projects by people who have done the reading and are up-to-date on the literature, so I mean this as a plus for both.

Edit: There's also the American Revolution Podcast (the one that has the Ben Franklin Join or Die cartoon for art). I've only listened to three or four episodes but it seems pretty solid. 200 episodes in and the French have just shown up in North America (within the context of the Revolution).

Cockblocktopus fucked around with this message at 04:21 on May 5, 2021

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Cool, looks like about 80% of the Tides of History back catalogue got nuked from everywhere that isn't Wondery Premium or whatever it's called. Guess I'll never finish learning about pre-history :v:

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

webmeister posted:

Cool, looks like about 80% of the Tides of History back catalogue got nuked from everywhere that isn't Wondery Premium or whatever it's called. Guess I'll never finish learning about pre-history :v:

Yeah wondery loving sucks and really ruined Tides for me. So many very obnoxious and loud ads. As someone who listens to podcasts to fall asleep I had to stop listening :(

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

fuf posted:

Yeah wondery loving sucks and really ruined Tides for me. So many very obnoxious and loud ads. As someone who listens to podcasts to fall asleep I had to stop listening :(

All of those big podcast providers (families?) come on big with promoting their other random and generic shows. I think it's IHeartRadio that always leads out with a set of aggravating ads that all sound like:

* "Hi, I'm CELEBRITY. Haven't you always wanted to know what it was like to be CELEBRITY? Well, on my new podcast ..."
* "What up people, here we're going to be giving you the _real_ news, the news that matters, the only news that you need"
* "I'm Sascha! And I'm Antonia! We're just two girls and we're going to be talking about dating! And murder!"

Like, it seems part of the economic recovery plan is to give everyone their own podcast

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

nonathlon posted:

All of those big podcast providers (families?) come on big with promoting their other random and generic shows. I think it's IHeartRadio that always leads out with a set of aggravating ads that all sound like:

* "Hi, I'm CELEBRITY. Haven't you always wanted to know what it was like to be CELEBRITY? Well, on my new podcast ..."
* "What up people, here we're going to be giving you the _real_ news, the news that matters, the only news that you need"
* "I'm Sascha! And I'm Antonia! We're just two girls and we're going to be talking about dating! And murder!"

Like, it seems part of the economic recovery plan is to give everyone their own podcast

Podcast ads have been getting really dire and I do not know how people think that “I’m Joey Joe Joe shabadoo junior!” “And I’m Bobby Butts!” “We talk about anything we want here!” “And we get a little crazy” is gonna make people want to listen to your poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
That History on Fire podcast moved to Luminary (?), a service that's not available in my country in Europe, and the subreddit is dead as well. Not sure if that was worth it, since afaik it's not his main income source. Very strange.