Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I like the Capitals and even I think Tom Wilson sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

bewbies posted:

this is some fuckin embarassing goaltending

This is how Wayne Gretzky could score 90 goals a year

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

N: Not sure it's been discussed here, but five of the eight usual Metro teams have coaches who coached another team in the division at some point.

Barry Trotz coaches the Isles and is former coach of the Caps, who are now coached by
Peter Laviolette, former bench boss of the Flyers, coached at the moment by
Alain Vigneault, who took the Rangers from
John Tortorella, who coaches the Jackets until the end of the week (probably).

V: :lol: DoPS.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

bewbies posted:

this is some fuckin embarassing goaltending

Nobody actually knew how to play goalie until Patrick Roy invented it

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

AsInHowe posted:

This is how Wayne Gretzky could score 90 goals a year

Why couldn't the 300 other guys do that?

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Aphrodite posted:

Why couldn't the 300 other guys do that?

they were trash OP

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
So the AHL decided not to hold a post-season again this year. That didn't stop the Checkers from seeing the silver lining:

https://twitter.com/CheckersHockey/status/1389576545883148288?s=20

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Starsfan posted:

well i had sworn off this season, but god drat it this dumb rear end league found a way to pull me back in. I'll be watching the game *tomorrow.

**didn't they used to do videos on these types of incidents, explaining the reasoning behind suspending or not suspending? I want a video on how slamming the side of a defenseless player's unprotected head into the ice is not worthy of any disciplinary action

That was with Shanahan and, because hockey fans aren't allowed nice things, fate decreed that the Toronto Maple Leafs were more worthy of his somewhat competent management.

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life

Good soup! posted:

https://twitter.com/JimJPhilly/status/1389581521934327808

I remember being sad as a kid for not being able to stay up to see this

(also lol at the UPN 57 transition, man that brings back memories)

Fuckin UPN :lol:

I watched every minute of that game. Long OTs forever.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Nocheez posted:

So the AHL decided not to hold a post-season again this year. That didn't stop the Checkers from seeing the silver lining:

https://twitter.com/CheckersHockey/status/1389576545883148288?s=20

lol good on them

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

In non Tom Wilson Washington Capitals news:

https://twitter.com/TomGulittiNHL/status/1389619238302846983?s=20

Getting really tired of these two being knuckleheads.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Marklar posted:

Fuckin UPN :lol:

I watched every minute of that game. Long OTs forever.

So did I. Let me tell you, I was a loving grouch at school that day. And Keith Primeau can gently caress himself sideways with a chainsaw, now and forever, world without end, amen.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

pseudodragon posted:

Why does the league keep hiring goons to head DoPS? At least hire guys like Paul Kariya, Marc Savard or Steve Moore if the only required qualification is “played in the league”. Hiring dudes who’s standards probably include “I’ve done worse, that’s fine” seems counterproductive. Hell, hire Lindros if you want some goon perspective.

Yeah, but reminder on how Parros' career ended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8sclYxNv_M

Good ol boy respecting the code! (Adds +1 to the CTE draw)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

stay classy Barstool :rolleyes: https://twitter.com/ryanwhitney6/status/1389595061554450432?s=20

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

You know you are on the wrong side if you agree with this guy.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Top response is pretty solid though
https://twitter.com/s_stemberger/status/1389595520650330112?s=20

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/SlavaMalamud/status/1389387625740505090?s=20

he's right

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

CBJSprague24 posted:

N: Not sure it's been discussed here, but five of the eight usual Metro teams have coaches who coached another team in the division at some point.

Barry Trotz coaches the Isles and is former coach of the Caps, who are now coached by
Peter Laviolette, former bench boss of the Flyers, coached at the moment by
Alain Vigneault, who took the Rangers from
John Tortorella, who coaches the Jackets until the end of the week (probably).

V: :lol: DoPS.

Mike Sullivan coached the Bruins. Lindy Ruff coached the Sabres. Bruce Cassidy coached the Caps. The only coach in the division who didn't coach another team in the division is Don Granato, whose only head coaching job is the one he currently has.

I'm sure if we looked at other divisions you'd see a lot of this as well though. The NHL recycles coaches like no other league.

e: Also really glad Whits got traded for Kunitz because it got the Pens three cups and Kunitz rules and Whitney drools

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I like the Capitals and even I think Tom Wilson sucks.

not emptyquoting

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

I'm sure if we looked at other divisions you'd see a lot of this as well though. The NHL recycles coaches like no other league.

The North only has Maurice coaching the Leafs/Jets and if we count assistant roles DJ Smith on the Leafs/Sens. Tippett and Sutter have coached multiple Pacific division teams but no other Canadian teams. Green, Keefe and Ducharme were all Junior coaches who haven’t worked with other orgs in the NHL.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Was gonna defend Wilson saying that kind of crap happens in scrums all the time but sheesh now that bar stool is for him I just can't.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Caps are going to sit Ovechkin for the next Rangers game for more maintenance. I’m sure it has nothing to do with possible retaliation from the Tom Wilson scrum…

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Ovechkin has actually been hurt for a little bit now so it's likely legitimate

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Yeah, he tweaked something last night on his first shift and left for the game. But I still argue that if this was playoffs he’d be out there fighting through it. Just no need to do so in a meaningless game.

I also doubt New York does any kind of retribution on Tom despite the bloodlust of this thread. Somebody may ask him to drop the gloves but that’s it.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Yeah didn't he leave the game before the scrum even happened yesterday?

Though I'm sure they don't want him playing against rightfully angry Rangers players.

Tom Wilson really is a piece of poo poo.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

you know who I'd like to see fight tom wilson?

jake paul

e: actually nah that's just me wanting to see jake paul get his rear end kicked tbh

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

https://twitter.com/SamanthaJPell/status/1389688908187906050

Kuznetsov loving up again. He had a not-very-mild case of Covid earlier in the year, of course.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Ginette Reno posted:

Mike Sullivan coached the Bruins. Lindy Ruff coached the Sabres. Bruce Cassidy coached the Caps. The only coach in the division who didn't coach another team in the division is Don Granato, whose only head coaching job is the one he currently has.

e: Also really glad Whits got traded for Kunitz because it got the Pens three cups and Kunitz rules and Whitney drools

Sullivan was a Rangers assistant coach as well

Cartoon Man posted:

Yeah, he tweaked something last night on his first shift and left for the game. But I still argue that if this was playoffs he’d be out there fighting through it. Just no need to do so in a meaningless game.

I also doubt New York does any kind of retribution on Tom despite the bloodlust of this thread. Somebody may ask him to drop the gloves but that’s it.

In some ways I'm honestly surprised that when a guy like Wilson (or Cooke before him, etc) keeps crossing the line and the league won't do anything that some player doesn't just take things into their own hands and McSorely him in the head. Or at least throw a Bure atomic elbow.

Like I know WHY that doesn't really happen, players don't want to torpedo their careers, but still feels like a bit amazing someone hasn't just lost their poo poo and deliberately injured him.

lovely that the league protects players like Wilson and not the players that he hurts.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

caps past 24 hours:

- public enemy #1 tom wilson
- ovechkin re-aggravates(?) an injury
- tj oshie's dad dies (RIP :smith:)
- kuzy and samsonov healthy scratched for disciplinary reasons
- kuzy back on the COVID-19 protocol list

am I missing anything

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Levitate posted:

Sullivan was a Rangers assistant coach as well

In some ways I'm honestly surprised that when a guy like Wilson (or Cooke before him, etc) keeps crossing the line and the league won't do anything that some player doesn't just take things into their own hands and McSorely him in the head. Or at least throw a Bure atomic elbow.

Like I know WHY that doesn't really happen, players don't want to torpedo their careers, but still feels like a bit amazing someone hasn't just lost their poo poo and deliberately injured him.

lovely that the league protects players like Wilson and not the players that he hurts.

Keep in mind there are also a lot of other big strong dudes on the Caps team. Chara has already shown he will bash somebody’s face in multiple times if necessary. Brenden Dillon will. Hell the new guy Mantha is a beast as well. It’s a slippery slope of constant retaliation that no team or coach wants. I honestly expect it to be a quiet boring hockey game. Hell the Caps will probably lose it too.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Cartoon Man posted:

Keep in mind there are also a lot of other big strong dudes on the Caps team. Chara has already shown he will bash somebody’s face in multiple times if necessary. Brenden Dillon will. Hell the new guy Mantha is a beast as well. It’s a slippery slope of constant retaliation that no team or coach wants. I honestly expect it to be a quiet boring hockey game. Hell the Caps will probably lose it too.

Just sign the 5 gooniest players you can, and start the game with a line brawl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIcdbxzrtbI

problem solved!

As we found with Roussell, it's only a $5000 fine a piece if they don't fight back.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 4, 2021

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Derpies posted:

Was gonna defend Wilson saying that kind of crap happens in scrums all the time but sheesh now that bar stool is for him I just can't.

Literally nobody else in the NHL this season has grabbed the back of someone's hair and used it to Mortal Kombat throw them into the ice head first.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Wilson may be quick enough to dodge big incoming checks so just use your stick instead

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Tim Whatley posted:

Wilson may be quick enough to dodge big incoming checks so just use your stick instead

Make it a team building exercise, get all 5 skaters to pick up a net and clock him with it.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

romanowski posted:

caps past 24 hours:

- public enemy #1 tom wilson
- ovechkin re-aggravates(?) an injury
- tj oshie's dad dies (RIP :smith:)
- kuzy and samsonov healthy scratched for disciplinary reasons
- kuzy back on the COVID-19 protocol list

am I missing anything
The quickly deleted social media post

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Wilson's going to gently caress up anyone that comes after him and y'all will keep crying about him

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Kreider comes back and runs both goalies.

E: Rangers lose to the Zamboni driver and Quinn gets fired and we all get to laugh.

Win win win

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

mcvey posted:

Wilson's going to gently caress up anyone that comes after him and y'all will keep crying about him

I didn't know Wilson's kid posts on something awful

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

mcvey posted:

:thunk: Hmm, yes, imagine disliking the dirtiest player in the league (in a league with Matt Tkachuk and Brad Marchand) as he continues to get away with it, how bizarre

Can't wait until someone knocks him out and you cry foul

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Shinjobi posted:

I didn't know Ryan Whitney posts on something awful