Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Earwicker posted:

i thought areas 1 and 2 were really beautiful and had some of my favorite "zones" in open world games in recent years. tho yes i agree the mongol camps themselves were a bit samey. i found area 3 kind of a drag

there was a second mongol invasion of tsushima and other islands a few years after the one in the game, which seems like an obvious setting for a sequel, tho i really hope they go somewhere else. korean peninsula or something maybe

Personally I would avoid any scenario putting Japanese invaders on to the Korean peninsula, seems a bit yikes.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

We know they are going to make more than two of these games

Do we know? I'd like more information on that if so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Epi Lepi posted:

Personally I would avoid any scenario putting Japanese invaders on to the Korean peninsula, seems a bit yikes.

i didn't say anything about japanese invaders :confused: just that the korean peninsula could be a good setting

the protagonist doesn't have to be japanese and, even if they are japanese, they don't have to be an invader. the kingdom of goryeo was part of the mongol empire at that point anyway, there are all kinds of stories that could take place there that aren't about "japanese invaders". they could make a whole series of games about different occupied parts of the mongol empire fighting back against that occupation in different ways. or they could make a sequel in which the protagonist is mongolian! lots of possibilities, i dont think a sequel necessarily needs to focus on the story of jin himself

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 5, 2021

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Earwicker posted:

i didn't say anything about japanese invaders :confused: just that the korean peninsula could be a good setting

the protagonist doesn't have to be japanese and, even if they are japanese, they don't have to be an invader. the kingdom of goryeo was part of the mongol empire at that point anyway, there are all kinds of stories that could take place there that aren't about "japanese invaders". they could make a whole series of games about different occupied parts of the mongol empire fighting back against that occupation in different ways. or they could make a sequel in which the protagonist is mongolian! lots of possibilities, i dont think a sequel necessarily needs to focus on the story of jin himself

I mean, it doesn't have to be Jin, but I would assume you'd have a samurai protagonist in your samurai game and I'd still not have them go to Korea.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Epi Lepi posted:

I mean you really can't just not make 2 Ghost 2 Shima and Ghost of Tsushima: Tokyo Drift.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Epi Lepi posted:

I mean, it doesn't have to be Jin, but I would assume you'd have a samurai protagonist in your samurai game and I'd still not have them go to Korea.

just because the first game is a samurai game that doesn't mean a hypothetical sequel (or especially, hypothetical later entries in a series) need to be samurai games, such a series could also inhabit the larger category of "sword/stealth based open world games" and still keep to the spirit and flow of the original while not strictly being about samurai. like i said they could even flip the original story and have a mongolian protagonist in the same conflict (or during the second invasion) and that would also be interesting, though i'd still rather they went to a different location entirely

imo what makes GoT special is the very naturalist way they handled open world design, the little quality of life improvements, the minimization of "gamey" elements in the world, and the smooth feeling of the swordplay. not the fact that its about samurai, which are one of the most common subjects in video games. so thats what i would be most interested in seeing evolved in a sequel

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 5, 2021

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I would rather Ghost of not become an Assassin’s Creed clone. Jin might be a little milquetoast but I genuinely prefer growing with a protagonist who still has a lot to learn than meeting a new person every game.

Like, for me personally, every AssCreed after 2 was a letdown, partially because no one in the series is more fun to be around as Ezzio

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I'm a good way into Act 2 on Hard+ and there's been either a sudden massive jump in enemy difficulty or a sudden massive decline in my hand-eye coordination. My already barely competent parry timing has gone to poo poo and I'm struggling in fights I would normally crush.

I always struggle a bit around this phase. The (mid Act 2) Straw Hats are no joke with their fast draws and staccato rhythm

Captain Hygiene posted:

A vidyagame movie I can have the slightest hope for? :monocle:

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

You have to think that at the very least, we're going to get stupendous action scenes. Whether he handles the rest well is up for grabs.

I expect the cinematography to be fantastic, too. I liked the camera and lighting work in the John Wick movies as is, then I read a thoughtful piece about 'em that, among other things, outlines how so many of the scenes are basically Caravaggio paintings. Plus Stahelski adapting Ghost might be an opportunity for Hiroyuki Sanada to reunite with him; both were sad Sanada had to drop out of JW3 due to an injury

isk fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 6, 2021

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Epi Lepi posted:

It hasn't been announced but there's two reasons we can be reasonably confident that one is coming.

First, it made a shitload of money. I mean, do I even need to say anything else? I don't think a company that put out a hugely popular game that is a natural for further stories is going to say, "Nah, we're moving on." They did multiple sequels/stand-alone expansions for their last franchise, so it's not like the concept is foreign to them.

Second, Sucker Punch has posted two job openings, the latest in January, that appear to point to a sequel or at least an expansion. The January posting is for a Combat Designer and in the requirements, "must have played Ghost of Tsushima and understand its core combat systems."

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

It hasn't been announced but there's two reasons we can be reasonably confident that one is coming.

First, it made a shitload of money. I mean, do I even need to say anything else? I don't think a company that put out a hugely popular game that is a natural for further stories is going to say, "Nah, we're moving on." They did multiple sequels/stand-alone expansions for their last franchise, so it's not like the concept is foreign to them.

Second, Sucker Punch has posted two job openings, the latest in January, that appear to point to a sequel or at least an expansion. The January posting is for a Combat Designer and in the requirements, "must have played Ghost of Tsushima and understand its core combat systems."

An expansion I could see but a sequel I don't know.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
The stealth stuff is easily the most boring aspect of GoT and I'd rather just have a sequel with more swordfighting.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Ghosts of Tsushima is one of the most "obvious first game in a series" games I can think of. It was a new idea that was presented extremely sharply and never lost its core focus, and presents a relatable protagonist at the very start of his growth as an interesting character.

Like I wouldn't be surprised if we saw another decade of GoT sequels until they eventually AssCreed the series and we get tired of it.

For now though, GoT remains one of the best open world games I've ever played, just because it's the culmination of all the best QoL features and mechanics that work of all open world games that came before it while trimming the excess fluff that made so many other open world games repetitive and and boring.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 06:16 on May 6, 2021

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

WaltherFeng posted:

The stealth stuff is easily the most boring aspect of GoT and I'd rather just have a sequel with more swordfighting.

:hai:

They could expand on “dirty fighting” skills/gadgets for the ghost stuff, and leave the stealth as is.

Also, let us do a stand off against a whole fort (or dozens of enemies) :black101:. Maybe add more mechanics, two enemies coming at the same time, more animations, etc

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
GoT 2: Shinobi following Jin as he becomes a ninja could be rad. Maybe on the Japanese mainland. I mean that's the direction he was going anyway wasn't it?

Or maybe Yuna's origin story instead.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
What I want more than anything is a Nemesis style system where a lone warrior is dispatched by the Japanese emperor to kill Jin and he inverts your playstyle, so a super Ghost Jin would get called out by a rampaging samurai every once in a while but an honorable Samurai Jin would constantly be getting harassed by a sick Ghost assassin.

I just want someone who I feel like can stand up to Jin and challenge him. He’s just unquestionably the most skilled warrior on the island and it’s not close. He needs a good villain if he gets a sequel.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Geo Fixer posted:

An expansion I could see but a sequel I don't know.

What makes you skeptical?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Skepticism might be warranted but Ghost of Tsushima was overwhelmingly popular and hugely successful AND has either the highest or second highest completion rate of any SONY first party title.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Give me more Legends.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I really just want another Way of the Samurai game with all of GoT's mechanics

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

What I want more than anything is a Nemesis style system where a lone warrior is dispatched by the Japanese emperor to kill Jin and he inverts your playstyle, so a super Ghost Jin would get called out by a rampaging samurai every once in a while but an honorable Samurai Jin would constantly be getting harassed by a sick Ghost assassin.

yeah i think the duels were one of the coolest parts of GoT and i was sad there were only a few of them. expanding on that and having them occur more dynamically would be great

also kind of surprised that they haven't incorporated dueling into the multiplayer, which maybe they are saving for a potential sequel. imo it would be awesome if there was a mode where you could duel other players or practice against any of the major npc characters in the game

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Earwicker posted:

also kind of surprised that they haven't incorporated dueling into the multiplayer, which maybe they are saving for a potential sequel. imo it would be awesome if there was a mode where you could duel other players or practice against any of the major npc characters in the game

master's katana with way of the flame meta incoming

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I think if I could make one change to the game, it'd be to add a re-duel option, even if it was just from the menu rather than in the world. I'm fine with most of the activities being one-and-done, but those are so perfect and distinctive it's a shame they're gone so easily.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

What I want more than anything is a Nemesis style system

Shadow of Tsushima would be so baller, I'd play it so much.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So, the way they did NG+ is really great. Every quest you already completed in the first playthrough gets changed to awarding you NG+ currency, which you then use to buy even fancier looking cosmetic items, or new charms that change up your build. Some of those charms make the game harder if you want, some make you OP if you want. Equip whatever, who cares, you've already beaten the game according to the developers' precious ~*~creative vision~*~ so go nuts!

I really love that kind of solution to the NG+ problem. Re-incentivize the experience without changing its core.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 6, 2021

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

What makes you skeptical?

I'm not really sure where to go with Jins story, I felt he had a truly complete arc. I'd rather SP made a spiritual sequel set somewhere else in Japan. Or heck, maybe make that long rumored western game.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Captain Hygiene posted:

I think if I could make one change to the game, it'd be to add a re-duel option

More games would benefit from giving you easy and fast access to missions and fights for replayability. There's almost always stuff I'd love to re-do without going through the entire game again.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Lobok posted:

More games would benefit from giving you easy and fast access to missions and fights for replayability. There's almost always stuff I'd love to re-do without going through the entire game again.

I feel like there have been at least a couple open world games that have managed to let you redo boss fights and even missions; Far Cry maybe? Am I just thinking of GTA?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Inspector Hound posted:

I feel like there have been at least a couple open world games that have managed to let you redo boss fights and even missions; Far Cry maybe? Am I just thinking of GTA?

After you finish FFVIIR, you can arbitrarily play any chapter you want from the menu. Not quite the same thing, but close enough for me.

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

I got the Sakai armor and immediately upgraded it cause I like killing dudes in standoffs. I then promptly got the yips and keep screwing up the first or second guy every time.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

thumper57 posted:

I got the Sakai armor and immediately upgraded it cause I like killing dudes in standoffs. I then promptly got the yips and keep screwing up the first or second guy every time.

hello past self.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

thumper57 posted:

Might have been exquisite tea who first told me but best advice I got for stand-offs was to look at an imaginary line on the ground between Jin and the enemy and only react once their legs cross it. They only fake-out with their upper bodies. Then again, it can just be a case of the yips and you already know this.

Inspector Hound posted:

As Proteus Jones said, a recent game that does this (kinda) is FF7R. It's pretty good to be able to re-do missions but if you're looking just for the boss fight them obviously you have to do the whole mission. It has VR missions for a few particularly tough enemies plus extra ones exclusive to VR. It's also not an open world game.

Miles Morales has mission select in contrast to the first game and I've made use of that to go back to some of the best fights. The thing I love though that both games have is the base fights re-dos. You step on a glowing circle in the middle of the base and can replay it like it's the first time but since you don't have to use old saves you can replay them with any upgrades and modifications and stuff you've earned along the way. 99% of all my time spent in those games over the years has been in the bases because it's more or less instant and constant combat you can access. The camps and forts and castles from games like Tsushima or AssCreed would be perfect for this.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Lobok posted:

Might have been exquisite tea who first told me but best advice I got for stand-offs was to look at an imaginary line on the ground between Jin and the enemy and only react once their legs cross it. They only fake-out with their upper bodies. Then again, it can just be a case of the yips and you already know this.

I dunno about the exact line but that makes sense in general. My finding was that I did a ton better by kind of unfocusing into the middle distance and reacting when there was big movement coming in. The window is more generous on the backend than you'd think, and doing that has the side benefit of making me feel like a jedi prodigy or something :v:

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah always look at the feet/shins. The arm movements are working really well to fake you into reacting.

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

Mother fucker, they killed my horse!

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

thumper57 posted:

Mother fucker, they killed my horse!

Didn't see that coming, huh?

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Watching my son play, how the hell did I miss that if you bow to a bear you've killed, Jin says, "Forgive me."

Anyway, thinking more about the movie, hopefully this wasn't discussed... I'm curious as to how much you all think the movie should lean into the supernatural stuff, if at all. Also, they obviously can't have most of the side character stories, which one(s) would you keep and which would you ditch?

I think I'd prefer losing the supernatural altogether. I think it's silly in John Wick (like the all powerful assassin's guild isn't goofy enough) and although it wouldn't be as out of place in an ancient samurai setting where mythology was still tightly interwoven into the culture, I'd prefer it be left out.

On the side characters, I'm torn between which ones whose story I like best and which ones would best fit into the movie's narrative structure.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Nah if Jin doesn't fight a dude in the middle of a thunderstorm to wield heavenly strike I'm not watching the movie.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

JBP posted:

Nah if Jin doesn't fight a dude in the middle of a thunderstorm to wield heavenly strike I'm not watching the movie.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
They would have to rewrite the script because a movie theatre of people are gonna watch Jin’s Uncle be like “ok obviously they are just mowing us down on the bridge, so our only hope is to sustain massive casualties for hours if not days in the hopes that eventually we persevere!”

Jin: “I just soloed the base with throwing stars”

UNCLE: nooooo Jin our Honor noooooo!

Like as gamers we accept stupid narratives much easier than film goers, but it’s still incredibly stupid.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I don't think I would mind "special attacks". You could do it as not literal Lightning strike but rather a super fast cut technique that makes a clashing noise or causes the blade to give of a flashing glint or whatever. After all that's how most myths are created, normal things with an unusual component that peole talk up into something supernatural.

No Oni or zombie Mongols though please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

You soloed the entire base? You're like some kind of Baba Yag-- uh I mean, some kind of ghost.