Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

new kind of cat posted:

What skills should I focus on if I’m interested in building a Bow set? Any standout armor pieces? Looking to branch out from maiming CB.

Get the mighty bow earring from arena, you need the coins from 5*/6*.

After that, max your shot type (pierce, rapid, spread). Stamina management next (constitution/stamina surge to comfort, drink dash juice, eat the dango for stamina cost reduction). Then the rest of your standard damage up skills (attack, wex, crit boost, elemental attack).

Rampage bows are basically your best Rapid bow for almost every element in 2.0.

Spread shot in Rise spreads *really* wide, so a lot of your arrows end up missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Tetranadon is some kind of swamp hippo and I love them

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

Tetranadon is some kind of swamp hippo and I love them

Sumo swamp kappa owns and I really hope tetranadon gets a variant, and they give it E. Honda's headbutt. Just like banbaro it's too good of a monster to waste as just an early speed bump.

The hippo monster is odogaron.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

chumbler posted:

Sumo swamp kappa owns and I really hope tetranadon gets a variant, and they give it E. Honda's headbutt. Just like banbaro it's too good of a monster to waste as just an early speed bump.

You mean Dodogama?

Cause Odogaron is like, mostly dog. It's in the name.

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

That is exactly what the Defender gear is. If you want to play World the way it was intended to be played, don't use it. It'll still be there if you decide you want to rush Iceborne.

While Rise is my first Monster Hunter game I feel pretty comfortable with most of the systems even if World is slightly different. I'll skip it for now unless I want to rush to end game. I did just realize though that they start you with some 50 defense armor pieces by default called guardian gear. They really want you to skip the base game I guess.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

You mean Dodogama?

Nah, I'm referring to this old image. You can't tell me that middle one isn't odogaron. Though I will grant that odogaron is probably less dangerous.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

chumbler posted:

The Tetranadon Tetsucabra turf war in G Rank is going to own.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Wtf Geralt just showed up. Is this part of Iceborne?

Senator Drinksalot fucked around with this message at 04:36 on May 5, 2021

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Wtf Geralt just showed up. Is this part of Iceborne?

Nope! Base game content.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Oxyclean posted:

You mean Dodogama?

Hippo face sumo kappa

Congalala was a hippo baboon

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Tetranadon is a Platypus. :colbert:

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Nosthula posted:

While Rise is my first Monster Hunter game I feel pretty comfortable with most of the systems even if World is slightly different. I'll skip it for now unless I want to rush to end game. I did just realize though that they start you with some 50 defense armor pieces by default called guardian gear. They really want you to skip the base game I guess.

It's also because folks rebought Iceborne on PC and may not have wanted to play through content they'd already done 100s of hours in. World LR/HR has charm and the maps are really detailed with a bunch of cool stuff in them, taking your time is worth it if you have the time. The op gear isn't going to help you with the bad parts, just speed through the fun stuff.

Steiv
Oct 16, 2005

Sweet Jesus it's the fabled Mardi Gras Cat-bird!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Tetranadon is a Platypus. :colbert:

FATypus.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

new kind of cat posted:

What skills should I focus on if I’m interested in building a Bow set? Any standout armor pieces? Looking to branch out from maiming CB.

https://mhwbowbuilds.wordpress.com/rise-build-2-0/

Edit: tl;dr to answer your question specifically, bow is a constitution/stamina surge weapon, possibly marathon runner. It's all about stamina management. After that, wex, CB, CE

Guilty fucked around with this message at 10:27 on May 5, 2021

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

I was very proud of that joke

Edit: I miss Congalala.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Is there a place in Rise where you can see the monster you just captured, like in MHW?

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Dyz posted:

Is there a place in Rise where you can see the monster you just captured, like in MHW?

no, they send all the monsters to a farm upstate where they have plenty of room to run around and play with the other monsters you captured

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Dyz posted:

Yeah, there's a smithy in town named Hamon, he'll help you out. :v:

(No, sadly, there's no display spot for your last captured monster. Kamura's not doing research the way Astera is. It's kind of a bummer, I really liked that detail in World.)

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"
12 Almudron and no golden orb yet. I am swimming in plates. I could have a table set for 6 with leftover with all of my plates.

I just want my spinny tron dual blades, game!

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Is axe hopper VS counter peak performance the most difficult switch skill choice in Rise?

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011

Deified Data posted:

Is axe hopper VS counter peak performance the most difficult switch skill choice in Rise?
It's really easy one actually. If you're going for tryhard max effectiveness you pick CPP, no contest. If you're going for style/fun you pick Axe Hopper, no contest. :)

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

12 Almudron and no golden orb yet. I am swimming in plates. I could have a table set for 6 with leftover with all of my plates.

I just want my spinny tron dual blades, game!

I got one of his gems with little trouble. My current White Whale is Magnamalo Gems.

Except Captain Ahab had it easier than I do. He only had to find Moby-Dick once. I need several of Marshmallow's lousy gems.

At least he's more enjoyable to fight than the mud dragon. I've taken to just doing Join Requests and getting 2-3 people with Bowguns who wreck him in under 10 minutes.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Not sure whether to bother keeping on with the meld rodeo, or just come to terms with what it’s given me so far: a 3/2 slot with fortify and a level of wire bug, which are at least universally useful and can be slotted with whatever a given build needs.
:effort:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/arismh10/status/1389845799446646786?s=21

Oh turns out I have no idea how to actually use GS lmao

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"

Silver Falcon posted:

I got one of his gems with little trouble. My current White Whale is Magnamalo Gems.

Except Captain Ahab had it easier than I do. He only had to find Moby-Dick once. I need several of Marshmallow's lousy gems.

At least he's more enjoyable to fight than the mud dragon. I've taken to just doing Join Requests and getting 2-3 people with Bowguns who wreck him in under 10 minutes.

I’ve gotten Almudron down to 8.5min with randos as long as we don’t have 3 bowgunners. He takes so much more damage from regular weapons that the fastest clears I’ve had have been with HH/GL/swaxe.

Almudron is the second in my list of “gems I need”. First was Magnamalo, next is Zinogre and then following that Rathian. Then I have to figure out what the best ice DB’s are.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

I’ve gotten Almudron down to 8.5min with randos as long as we don’t have 3 bowgunners. He takes so much more damage from regular weapons that the fastest clears I’ve had have been with HH/GL/swaxe.

Almudron is the second in my list of “gems I need”. First was Magnamalo, next is Zinogre and then following that Rathian. Then I have to figure out what the best ice DB’s are.

https://youtu.be/3oDDIL0MTk4

This is just plain wrong, and fire lbg has only gotten stronger in 2.0 with teostra blessing and the Rath LBG getting an upgrade

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Centzon Totochtin posted:

https://youtu.be/3oDDIL0MTk4

This is just plain wrong, and fire lbg has only gotten stronger in 2.0 with teostra blessing and the Rath LBG getting an upgrade

Ya. Bow whips his rear end too. I’m getting 80 damage per arrow on weak zones which I doubt any other weapon is dishing out.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I’m just posting to bitch about needing two great izuchi tails and they won’t drop. Hopefully this triggers the complaining-on-the-internet effect and I will be showered in tails the next time I play the game.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Monkeys paw curls, and you get nothing but tails from Izuchi, forever :drac:

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

Wildtortilla posted:

I’m just posting to bitch about needing two great izuchi tails and they won’t drop. Hopefully this triggers the complaining-on-the-internet effect and I will be showered in tails the next time I play the game.

Just make sure you're not like me and get Izuchi and Ibushi mixed up all the time. I've done so many rampages that I didn't need to bother with.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

chumbler posted:

Speaking of iceborne, what was the logic behind velkhana supposed to be again? Like it goes to the recess to absorb a bunch of heat, then generates ice by rapidly purging that heat?

I think the idea was that it goes down to the Elder Recess to molt and forms its hard crystal scales by flash-freezing magma

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
I just saw one of the nastiest things, some new person carted twice on apex Arzuros, sadly the last cart was right before we killed the Arzuros so the new guy had to run all the way back to carve. Some other dickhead GS user kept flinching the new guy so he couldn't carve when he came back. Poor guy. Hopefully he learns to always slot at least one brace :(

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

You can’t interrupt a carve in this game?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Maybe he meant he kept up swinging him before he even got to the monster?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
It’s pretty easy to just jump over a guy doing that with wirebugs

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
If a person dies to apex arzuros who has a move pool of like 5 attacks at most not once but twice, maybe they don't know how to wirebug

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Guilty posted:

I just saw one of the nastiest things, some new person carted twice on apex Arzuros, sadly the last cart was right before we killed the Arzuros so the new guy had to run all the way back to carve. Some other dickhead GS user kept flinching the new guy so he couldn't carve when he came back. Poor guy. Hopefully he learns to always slot at least one brace :(

lol

Guilty
May 3, 2003
I dunno what the exact specifics were it's hard to tell from third person. The new guy definitely got some carves in, but he was definitely in the middle of the carving animation when the game ended. Maybe the new guy was just poo poo at pressing A also, who knows. Anyways, the GS was definitely flinching him. But maybe the GS user wasn't doing poo poo.

Anyways, please slot 1 brace at least if you're going to pub.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Also the only reason anyone does Apex Arzuros is because you need exactly 1-2 lazurite jewels and want them in 5-7 minutes. So most likely that dude got what he needed anyway, at least.

This also just made me realize that the Like system that was designed to help shuffle players together who enjoyed hunting has turned into a de facto "thanks, good hunt" sign because I always hit all 3 people with it and always get 3 back. Just instead of the thanks sticker we all just get "liked you." messages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

For all the QoL changes Monhun has made over the years I hate that friendly flinching is still a thing. Just remove it for good so we can all stop paying the Brace Gem tax.