Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

MikeJF posted:

A couple of days ago I got bored and decided to rip a bunch of assets out of the TNGTMCD and other ones and make them digestible online: it's rushed and probably buggy, but it's still neat to take a look at:

STARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR TREK IN THREE HUNDRED AND SIXTY DEGREES

Well, if this isn't just the coolest thing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

MikeJF posted:

A couple of days ago I got bored and decided to rip a bunch of assets out of the TNGTMCD and other ones and make them digestible online: it's rushed and probably buggy, but it's still neat to take a look at:

That's real nice.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

MikeJF posted:

this is amazing!

Do you have 360 renderings of the exteriors? I think it'd be real cool if 1) the default landing page was the Ent-D in space instead of just empty space, and 2) you could click on the name of the ships on the left menu and get the external views.

Out of curiosity do you know what the outer space shot is supposed to be? is it from anywhere specific or just a generic image?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The outer space shots isn't from one of the Trek sources, it's a shot I just used as a neutral landing page: it's from NASA. https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/4851

To do a rotatable version of the ship from outside I'd need to do a different system; the old tech manuals let you rotate the ship along a single axis by basically having a video of the ship rotating that you'd move back and forth through as you dragged. The interior panoramas are effectively just a single image stretched onto sphere.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 4, 2021

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

neato, thanks!

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

MikeJF posted:

This reminds me a lot of that old Star Trek Captains Chair 'game'. https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Star_Trek:_Captain%27s_Chair

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The non-Enterprise-D bridges are ripped from that.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MikeJF posted:

(It may be that paramount is planning to scan all the old masters as part of a long-term archival process anyway, since they're getting on in age. If that's the case then it's much more justifiable.)

The odds of this are pretty low. Among the major studios, historically Paramount has probably been the least forward-thinking when it comes to preserving its library, both with television and film, and this isn't just with regard to Trek, I'm talking about their entire film library. They've always been very slow when it comes to making high-quality masters, and a lot of movies just flat-out don't get them. Part of that has been due to cost, as Paramount went through a long stretch last decade during which it was really hurting financially, and part of it is that no one in upper management has really been champion preservation of the library. They're starting to come around a little bit, but very slowly.

The only Trek movie that has even gotten a 4K master (outside of the Kelvin movies) is Wrath of Khan, which feels criminal.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

And the only way to watch the 4k version is on digital, they never released a disc.

It looks really good, but it could look (and sound) better.

TMP is apparently being worked on, but they really missed the boat on the 40th.

I suspect they'll finish remastering TMP, they already have TWOK done, then they'll take the 4k masters they made for the blurays for the rest of them, do a quick HDR grade, and shove out a box set.

It's a shame too because the masters for the others are pretty bad (VI especially looks far worse than it should.)

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I'm shocked that III through V weren't just shot on tape.

The films... don't look good.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The thing that hurts most about Picard is how unimaginative so many things looked compared to TNG, despite the massive budget.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

jeeves posted:

IV is just pure rear end. It looks like poo poo, the score is garbage, and there’s three or four dozen things in it that just date it worse than any other TOS film. Yeah it’s got character moments people love and remember, but everyone conveniently forgets that those moments are sprinkled throughout an otherwise weirdly stale and generic 80s meet-cute comedy that just happens to have Star Trek people in it. For my money, it’s easily the worst TOS film.

I’d rather watch TMP and V on a loop for a week than listen to the godawful pop score you’re subjected to during that first downtown San Francisco scene.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

OldSenileGuy posted:

I don't know what the difference is between the two Trek threads so forgive me if this is the wrong thread:

I recently started watching DS9 for the first time. It's ok, but I'm only at the end of the first season so far. Then I saw this:

https://www.thevulcanreporter.com/exclusives/star-trek-deep-space-nine-remaster/

Is this a legit website or is this bullshit? I would think that legit news of a DS9 remaster would be everywhere, as opposed to really only reported on by one site. If it's true, I'll probably wait and continue my watching once the remaster is out.

I've been following this person's trek leaks for a while and they've been largely accurate.

Definitely has an insider as they've shown me some leaked casting videos before.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

jeeves posted:

II, III and IV were produced by the television division of Paramount. It shows.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

IV is just pure rear end. It looks like poo poo

Somehow, for some reason, Don Peterman got an Oscar nomination for his cinematography on IV.

In contrast, Charles Correll never worked on another movie after shooting The Search for Spock.

bull3964 posted:

TMP is apparently being worked on, but they really missed the boat on the 40th.

I suspect they'll finish remastering TMP, they already have TWOK done, then they'll take the 4k masters they made for the blurays for the rest of them, do a quick HDR grade, and shove out a box set.

It's a shame too because the masters for the others are pretty bad (VI especially looks far worse than it should.)

Daren Dochterman claimed in 2019 that he had been approached by Paramount about doing a 4K remaster of The Motion Picture and having him provide 4K material of the CG work that he had done for The Director's Edition, but that appears to have been bullshit.

Also, the 2009 Blu-rays were from 2K masters and even some 1080i bullshit, there have been no other preservation works done on the first ten movies. (Besides, again, Wrath of Khan, which got a semi-slapdash but still relatively good 4K master done that Paramount is sitting on.)

Timby fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 5, 2021

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Big Mean Jerk posted:

IV is just pure rear end. It looks like poo poo, the score is garbage, and there’s three or four dozen things in it that just date it worse than any other TOS film. Yeah it’s got character moments people love and remember, but everyone conveniently forgets that those moments are sprinkled throughout an otherwise weirdly stale and generic 80s meet-cute comedy that just happens to have Star Trek people in it. For my money, it’s easily the worst TOS film.

I’d rather watch TMP and V on a loop for a week than listen to the godawful pop score you’re subjected to during that first downtown San Francisco scene.

I'm going to guess that Nimoy had some stick up his rear end about not wanting to even show a phaser as a gun prop-- as they didn't even reuse the phasers from Star Trek II.

Or maybe Paramount just sold that poo poo long ago? I dunno, but I always remember how bad those loving phasers look in IV.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

jeeves posted:

I'm going to guess that Nimoy had some stick up his rear end about not wanting to even show a phaser as a gun prop-- as they didn't even reuse the phasers from Star Trek II.

Or maybe Paramount just sold that poo poo long ago? I dunno, but I always remember how bad those loving phasers look in IV.

Again: II - IV were produced by the television division.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

jeeves posted:

On the contrary, Nimoy was thinking things through. Consider:

It's what Scotty could kludge together out of parts on a Bird of Prey after the Vulcans confiscated their Starfleet-issue phasers and the contents of the ship's armory.

Kirk and the gangs are fugitives from Starfleet and Federation justice! They were on their way home to stand trial! They stole the Enterprise! They sabotaged Excelsior! They precipitated An Incident in the Mutara sector! Again!!

I would expect the Bird of Prey's weaponry was disabled too. They were lucky the Vulcans didn't just park them until Starfleet came to beam them directly to the brig of Excelsior.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The only phaser I remember from IV is the ridiculous Klingon one Chekov had that looked like an old tv remote.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The only phaser I remember from IV is the ridiculous Klingon one Chekov had that looked like an old tv remote.

Kirk has the same one when he melts the door lock in the hospital.

It’s like a prop made by someone who has never even seen anything scifi ever.

Also the phaser changes hands in the cut with the beam effect and then changes back on the next cut. Maximum effort!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I watched IV recently and actually, it's great.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I haven't watched IV since I was a preteen and I remember thinking it was fantastic. Maybe I should try again, see how I feel now.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
Another IV defender logging on. It’s even better after years of revenge fantasies.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
IV is fun, but it’s a pretty lazily made film. It almost feels like a made for tv sequel of a dying franchise that somehow lucked out into revitalizing the whole thing.

Oh that’s what happened!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

4 is ok but I think it’s become way too overrated over the years

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

TMP and The Voyage home own

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I like whales and demand more whales in trek and will not at all be happy until discovery busts out a 32nd century cetacean ops the size of an ocean moon

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

ST4 is probably the worst of the three even-numbered flicks, but it's still pretty good. Humor can work in Star Trek, but it really has to be used sparingly. They unwisely attempted to do comedy bits again right away in ST5, but of course they mostly ended up misfiring. Fortunately, they seem to have learned their lesson after that, as ST6 was right back to dead serious.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
When you think about it, the closest we've gotten to Cetacean Ops was the Xindi-Aquatic and their ships in Enterprise.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

I like whales and demand more whales in trek and will not at all be happy until discovery busts out a 32nd century cetacean ops the size of an ocean moon

Real missed opportunity on Disco's part not to have one of the future Fed ships be a floating ocean full of whale officers.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
In a recent rewatch of ST4 it was not quite as good as I remembered it. The humor is just dated. (I don't mind everything else that dates it because, well, it's explicitly supposed to be.) But it's definitely still pretty good. Perhaps more fun as a memory though. I don't know how much it's worth sitting down and really watching it. But I wouldn't turn it off if I happened to see it on TV.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Angry_Ed posted:

When you think about it, the closest we've gotten to Cetacean Ops was the Xindi-Aquatic and their ships in Enterprise.

They were cool, remember that shot where one of them gets smashed and the whole ship cracks apart with water spilling out into space? That was awesome looking.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The day Ginsberg died last year, I knew there was going to be a shitshow so I logged off of here, got away from all the news and watched IV. It's the perfect movie for calming yourself down when there's stressful stuff in the news.

IV is awesome. It's not as deep as II or VI but it's still a great movie.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Star Trek 4 has the advantage of being an easy fun movie to watch, I think it is a taste thing if that is a good or bad.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like the one that takes place in San Francisco, Star Trek II

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh that's neat, someone had a go at doing a CGI HD TOS gunning for full model-style accuracy

https://vimeo.com/300054946

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

MikeJF posted:

Oh that's neat, someone had a go at doing a CGI HD TOS gunning for full model-style accuracy

https://vimeo.com/300054946
That's not bad, but whenever anyone (including the people who did TOS-R) tries to redo the original effects, the lack of film grain and image degradation from going through an optical printer always ironically make it look less 'real'.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
About to watch Profit & Lace. I told my dad about it yesterday after the Red Squad episode and he immedietly started cackling, which means we had to watch it. I'm looking forward to it

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Besides Jake being written to do not much of anything again REDSQUADREDSQUADREDSQUAD is actually a pretty good episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

John F Bennett posted:

I haven't watched IV since I was a preteen and I remember thinking it was fantastic. Maybe I should try again, see how I feel now.