Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ass-penny

Manifisto posted:

the daikon and carrot slivers should be pickled

e: and if you're swapping in parsley for cilantro you're doing it wrong

Oh right cilantro is what I meant. I don't know anything about food. When the food chat is on in this thread it is all just :words: to me.

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
all posters post post

Manifisto

rear end-penny posted:

Oh right cilantro is what I meant. I don't know anything about food. When the food chat is on in this thread it is all just :words: to me.

haha no problem friend we're all just shitposting anyway

ty nesamdoom!

Zil

Satanically Summoned Citrus

cruft posted:

Okay do you feel like it tastes the way soap smells or would taste, or have you actually put a bar of soap in your mouth and cilantro tastes like that to you (that is, it tastes like fats and lye)?

Yes. I am one of those unfortunate few who get the soap taste when it comes to cilantro.

And yes, I have had my mouth washed out with soap before. Really strict daycare and I liked to talk back.

Doll House Ghost

I thought I was one of those cilantro/soap people but then eating a whole bunch of vietnamese and mexican food where ingesting cilantro is inevitable conditioned me to it. Now I even add it to my food voluntarily. It does still taste kinda soapy tho, but now I just associate the taste to good food.

Doll House Ghost

I have come to enjoy eating soap, is what I'm saying.

Zil

Oh I have tried, but its just such a strong taste for me that I get shivers of revulsion coursing through my body when I eat it. Just completely takes me out of the meal

more falafel please

forums poster

Doll House Ghost posted:

I thought I was one of those cilantro/soap people but then eating a whole bunch of vietnamese and mexican food where ingesting cilantro is inevitable conditioned me to it. Now I even add it to my food voluntarily. It does still taste kinda soapy tho, but now I just associate the taste to good food.

this might be me too, it's a slightly soapy flavor but still pretty herby/green? idk, but for the record i love it. my mom is allergic to cilantro so i basically never ate anything with cilantro in it until i was an adult, whcih might have something to do with why i like it

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Manifisto

count me in on the "slightly soapy but in a pleasant way" crew

ty nesamdoom!

take the moon

by sebmojo
i hope everyones having a super day

is this where we admit we eat soap? its not like its a problem or something its just something i do, get off my case

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Manifisto

take the moon posted:

i hope everyones having a super day

is this where we admit we eat soap? its not like its a problem or something its just something i do, get off my case

u2

and who among us has not at least thought about taking a bite of a fancy ornamental soap?

ty nesamdoom!

Zil

Fellow Byobers do I want to celebrate Cinco de Mayo and have tacos for dinner or do I want to be boring and have orange chicken?

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
ight but hear me out

pickles in a bread bowl

Manifisto

Zil posted:

Fellow Byobers do I want to celebrate Cinco de Mayo and have tacos for dinner or do I want to be boring and have orange chicken?

O D

ty nesamdoom!

Zil

The crowd has spoken, tacos it is.

Heather Papps

hello friend

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

cruft

Zil posted:

Yes. I am one of those unfortunate few who get the soap taste when it comes to cilantro.

And yes, I have had my mouth washed out with soap before. Really strict daycare and I liked to talk back.

Huh interesting.

Some friends of mine posited that when people say "cilantro tastes like soap" they meant "cilantro tastes like soap smells" and not "cilantro tastes like glycerin and lye" but here we have evidence to the contrary!

SRQ

Dog as promised. 1.5 year old rescue mutt. Was born in the cold and has lived every day of his life absolutely smothered with love and care.
He loves me and that makes me feel good. Outdated picture I'll take another later.

Friend made a portrait of them we have hanging up somewhere.

----------------

cruft

SRQ posted:

Dog as promised. 1.5 year old rescue mutt. Was born in the cold and has lived every day of his life absolutely smothered with love and care.
He loves me and that makes me feel good. Outdated picture I'll take another later.

good dog. looks warm. good dog owner.

cruft

SRQ posted:

Would you characterize this dog as "reddish, with a black muzzle and one or more white paws"?

People are always asking me what "kind" of dog Ruby is, which makes me rationally angry, because I don't go around asking people what "kind" of human they are, as though carrying ancestry paperwork were prerequisite to being human. But increasingly I'm of the opinion that "reddish, with a black muzzle and one or more white paws" should be considered a "kind" of dog, on account of there are so flipping many of them.

biosterous

xcheopis posted:

Grilled/pan fried fish is about the only way I can eat it anymore. Have tried baked (yet?) but if it doesn't smell heavily of fish and is crispy, then sure! Does your recipe work for toaster ovens?

no clue unfortunately! this was my first time making it so my entire experience is "this worked, i will not change anything about it".

i wouldn't call it crispy, but it probably would become so if it went longer than 15 minutes. it was soft and tender which is how i love it

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

cruft

cruft posted:

Would you characterize this dog as "reddish, with a black muzzle and one or more white paws"?

People are always asking me what "kind" of dog Ruby is, which makes me rationally angry, because I don't go around asking people what "kind" of human they are, as though carrying ancestry paperwork were prerequisite to being human. But increasingly I'm of the opinion that "reddish, with a black muzzle and one or more white paws" should be considered a "kind" of dog, on account of there are so flipping many of them.

REDDISH, WITH A BLACK MUZZLE AND ONE OR MORE WHITE PAWS

BREED STANDARD

• Good dog
  • Eats food
  • Playful
  • Enjoys walksies
  • Cute little ears

Prof. Crocodile

SRQ posted:

what a stylish fellow!

xcheopis

SRQ posted:

:3:

SRQ

cruft posted:

It's more tan in reality, lighting can make it appear red, but yes that is quite fair! We've called his look "generic dog" a few times. He is dog, dog dog.
Tan overall, with a black muzzle, and white socksies on his paws that are adorable as all hell.

The most to the point way I'd describe him is "solid". Like holy heck this dog would be just fine if he had to live on his own he's built like a truck.

----------------

cruft

SRQ posted:

It's more tan in reality, lighting can make it appear red, but yes that is quite fair! We've called his look "generic dog" a few times. He is dog, dog dog.
Tan overall, with a black muzzle, and white socksies on his paws that are adorable as all hell.

The most to the point way I'd describe him is "solid". Like holy heck this dog would be just fine if he had to live on his own he's built like a truck.

:hmmyes: the kind of dog that isn't easily pushed around, because of Newton's first law.

SRQ

also related to doggo he survived Parvo but his siblings didn't so he has a few odd patches and patterns in his fur.
living in quarantine [not the human one] for a few months early in his life is part of why we think he's so smart and loves watching things and playing with stuff by himself in the yard. we have a little stool for him to watch outside the window and he'll do it for hours every day too.

we also got him the day Alberta's stay at home order was announced last year so literally snuck in at the very last minute and were incredibly lucky, nobody knew it was going be that bad yet.

----------------

xcheopis

Urgh. Trying to place a bulk order for gift cards with Safeway and they've just changed over to using a third-party to handle all that and it's so drat annoying.

Fifteen years taking prescriptions
Now a shrink like, "I dunno, maybe get a kitten"

xcheopis

Jesus, I'm surprised they aren't demanding finger prints. I do not like this change one bit.

FirstAidKite
got my second covid shot

saw some fairground food stalls set up in uptown, absolutely nobody manning them, just a weird sight to see an unmanned lemonade stand and a funnel cake cart in the parking lot of a dying mall

cruft

FirstAidKite posted:

got my second covid shot

saw some fairground food stalls set up in uptown, absolutely nobody manning them, just a weird sight to see an unmanned lemonade stand and a funnel cake cart in the parking lot of a dying mall

I have a feeling everybody's going to be seeing a lot more of this in the coming years.

xcheopis

"Please describe the marketing of this program."

Manifisto

FirstAidKite posted:

got my second covid shot

free funnel cake and lemonade I guess

they should offer this as an incentive to get yer jab(s)

ty nesamdoom!

xcheopis

FirstAidKite posted:

got my second covid shot

I've walked past a couple of unattended food carts in the past month and it's super weird.

FirstAidKite

Manifisto posted:

free funnel cake and lemonade I guess

they should offer this as an incentive to get yer jab(s)

I mean, that mall is where my fiancee got her covid vaccine stuff done so it is possible

found the ad for it tho as well as an ad for something a month out where I guess some dudes are gonna wrestle at the dead mall

Finger Prince

You want to know a fun fact about gift cards? They can be and are used to skirt taxation and ethics rules relating to cash gifts given to clients!

E- I don't mean to imply any impropriety is taking place and don't have anything against gift cards and their many useful, legitimate uses. I just think it's interesting that not just someone, but many ones looked at the innocent gift card and saw an opportunity for graft.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 5, 2021

cruft

Finger Prince posted:

You want to know a fun fact about gift cards? They can be and are used to skirt taxation and ethics rules relating to cash gifts given to clients!

E- I don't mean to imply any impropriety is taking place and don't have anything against gift cards and their many useful, legitimate uses. I just think it's interesting that not just someone, but many ones looked at the innocent gift card and saw an opportunity for graft.

We have all these gift cards lying around that my kid got as birthday presents and they're such a pain to use that she hasn't bothered. Some of the places are over 200 miles away from us.

Just send cash, is my advice, unless you really want to give Cold Stone $30 in exchange for nothing. Kid can use cash to get stuff she wants.

Gift cards are the gift that says "I can't figure out what would be a good gift, go get yourself something nice, but I want to limit your options."

xcheopis

Finger Prince posted:

Which is odd because they are essentially cash, which is why I don't put the dollar amount on the envelopes I sign out to people and I don't put more than 10 cards per envelope. We've had staff robbed of $500 in cards and transit tickets!

xcheopis

cruft posted:

We have all these gift cards lying around that my kid got as birthday presents and they're such a pain to use that she hasn't bothered. Some of the places are over 200 miles away from us.

Just send cash, is my advice, unless you really want to give Cold Stone $30 in exchange for nothing. Kid can use cash to get stuff she wants.

Gift cards are the gift that says "I can't figure out what would be a good gift but I still want to limit your options."

Um. These are for homeless people. They are paid for out of our annual budget and help clients buy food, sundries, prescriptions. We also have transit tickets to help them get to and from appointments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft

xcheopis posted:

Um. These are for homeless people. They are paid for out of our annual budget and help clients buy food, sundries, prescriptions. We also have transit tickets to help them get to and from appointments.

That sucks that it's so easy to have $500 stolen :(