Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Going through the moralist political vision quest. I've already met Sunday Friend, so the smoker told me to find him on the coast. He's not at the execution site.

Any other pre-requisites needed for him to appear?

Also, the Mysterious Pair of Eyes with full voice acting. Pretty bad, but I guess most people haven't encountered it, so worth showing off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE_Mf5syq0I

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/steakbentley/status/1388603524242628612

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Always go heavy on Half Light.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
So I managed to knock out measurehead and hit the button. I assume I go see evvart now?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

So I managed to knock out measurehead and hit the button. I assume I go see evvart now?

If you want. You could just get drunk and read about cockatoos instead.

More helpfully though, it will have unlocked the door so you could go see what is there. Go be a cop or something crazy like that.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Electrochemistry [ Trivial: Success ] - Sure bud you could go talk to the boss but why not treat yourself to some hard earned drugs after that exertion?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Mr. Evrart is helping me find my gun - final cut version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlNUAo5YCbA

Playing through the game without cheating, aiming to maximize xp and $$$ - 70 levels and 694 real (having purchased everything in the book store) upon meeting Ruby.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Xander77 posted:

Mr. Evrart is helping me find my gun - final cut version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlNUAo5YCbA

Playing through the game without cheating, aiming to maximize xp and $$$ - 70 levels and 694 real (having purchased everything in the book store) upon meeting Ruby.

You're not even scratching the surface of being a High Networthy individual lol Talkin' ~220,000 real lol

e: I'm surprised there isn't an achievement for avoiding the final nightmare with Dolores Dei/your ex.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 3, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Tylana posted:

If you want. You could just get drunk and read about cockatoos instead.

More helpfully though, it will have unlocked the door so you could go see what is there. Go be a cop or something crazy like that.

i mean i have been reading the communist magazine. yeah i know the game is legit "gently caress around and find out" but i usualy like to go through straight the first time and see whats what.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Honestly the first day of the playthrough is so tense for me because I feel like I'm racing against the clock. I know I'm not and I can literally leave anything for the second day but I don't want to leave that body up and disappoint Kim.

At least not until the playthrough where I forget about the body completely.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean i have been reading the communist magazine. yeah i know the game is legit "gently caress around and find out" but i usualy like to go through straight the first time and see whats what.

you might be playing straight but the world is still magical realism and gives no fucks

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

sean10mm posted:

e: I'm surprised there isn't an achievement for avoiding the final nightmare with Dolores Dei/your ex.

I’d imagine it’s the same reason that you don’t get an achievement for knifing a reaper to death in Subnautica — it helps you move forward with your life, but it isn’t engaging with the main themes of the game.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Roctavian posted:

I’d imagine it’s the same reason that you don’t get an achievement for knifing a reaper to death in Subnautica — it helps you move forward with your life, but it isn’t engaging with the main themes of the game.

I'm reminded of a friend whose first run in Subnautica was spending an hour or two knifing a Stalker to death, and then he asked what he can do with the body, and I told him.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Roctavian posted:

I kind of disagree with this analogy. Knifing a reaper leviathan in Subnautica is something the game outright tells you not to do, the databank straight up says AVOID IN ALL CIRCUMSTNACES or something like that, and the game makes it such a tedious grind that most people won't try or will ragequit halfway through doing it.

In Disco Elysium your skills routinely tell you not to do things that make you remember her, and if you follow their advice you get praised within the game for doing the right thing and placing yourself on the road to recovery.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Somfin posted:

the only reason people are hyping up space colonisation is because those billionaires pay them to do so. Zero gravity kills us, every other planet in existence- Mars included- kills us, terraforming other planets is a nonstarter if we can't even terraform Earth

The first part definitely isn't true, there's lots of other reasons people hype up space colonization. It's an incredibly, fundamentally human impulse to want to go settle past the frontier, the fact that realistically the only frontiers left are completely and totally inhospitable sucks but it's not really an urge or popular fascination because billionaires want it to be, and to the extent they promote it, it's just awakening a feeling many people already have. And we absolutely could terraform earth. I mean, we already have accidentally to our detriment, if we really wanted to it wouldn't be all that difficult from a technical perspective, the problem isn't ability, it's will. There's no *technical* reasons stopping us from fixing the atmosphere on earth, and mars is probably well within our technical abilities too. It's a lack of political will (and in the case of Mars its unlikely the political will is ever going to be there barring a major change in the zeitgeist)

But the overall point is true, we aren't exactly on either a road to fix things here OR setting up a sustainable colony elsewhere.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

you might be playing straight but the world is still magical realism and gives no fucks

oh i know and i love it for it. i dont mean like that, i more mean i don't want to wander into some weird insta fail moment.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

sean10mm posted:

I kind of disagree with this analogy. Knifing a reaper leviathan in Subnautica is something the game outright tells you not to do, the databank straight up says AVOID IN ALL CIRCUMSTNACES or something like that, and the game makes it such a tedious grind that most people won't try or will ragequit halfway through doing it.

In Disco Elysium your skills routinely tell you not to do things that make you remember her, and if you follow their advice you get praised within the game for doing the right thing and placing yourself on the road to recovery.

Avoiding things that remind Harry of his ex is absolutely not placing him on the road to recovery. It's a temporary reprieve that is not at all sustainable considering even mundane things like the smelling the wrong flavor of gum or seeing visual representation of the most prominent religious figure in the world will set him off. He's going to need to actually confront things at some point.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

WrightOfWay posted:

Avoiding things that remind Harry of his ex is absolutely not placing him on the road to recovery. It's a temporary reprieve that is not at all sustainable considering even mundane things like the smelling the wrong flavor of gum or seeing visual representation of the most prominent religious figure in the world will set him off. He's going to need to actually confront things at some point.

The problem with this reading is the game itself presents not triggering the memories as a victory at the end. You can imagine that it's actually not 'really" a victory in some hypothetical future past the point where the game ends, but the text of that dream where you don't remember your ex doesn't really communicate that idea.

Conversely if you do have the Dolores Dei/ex dream it hammers insanely hard that you're turbofucked in the head forever, maybe just 1% less suicidally miserable in 20 years or something but you have horrible suffering indefintely.

Hell, in at least one playthrough the Phasmid straight up told me to forget about her and move on. "It doesn't take a three metre stick insect to tell you that." lol

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

sean10mm posted:

The problem with this reading is the game itself presents not triggering the memories as a victory at the end. You can imagine that it's actually not 'really" a victory in some hypothetical future past the point where the game ends, but the text of that dream where you don't remember your ex doesn't really communicate that idea.

Conversely if you do have the Dolores Dei/ex dream it hammers insanely hard that you're turbofucked in the head forever, maybe just 1% less suicidally miserable in 20 years or something but you have horrible suffering indefintely.

Hell, in at least one playthrough the Phasmid straight up told me to forget about her and move on. "It doesn't take a three metre stick insect to tell you that." lol

The text of the game also conveys that this is an unconvincing and unsustainable at best means of forgetting is the problem. Moving on is indeed preferable but relying on improbable luck to avoid ten thousand mundane every day environmental triggers to do so ain’t gonna last.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Captain Oblivious posted:

The text of the game also conveys that this is an unconvincing and unsustainable at best means of forgetting is the problem. Moving on is indeed preferable but relying on improbable luck to avoid ten thousand mundane every day environmental triggers to do so ain’t gonna last.

The gap between how morbidly depressing one dream is presented to the player vs the other really does not fit that reading AT ALL.

It seems like people are making their own extrapolations of how the endings "should work" rather than what they are actually presented to the player as.

Option A: You will relive this moment where you can only say wrong, bad and dumb things forever, you loving rear end in a top hat, you moron. Basically there is no hope except maybe a 1% reduction in seraing emotional pain over a period of decades. :smithicide:
Option B: Good job, have a nice nap for the first time all game. Feels good. :sun:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the alternative dream is basically a game-sanctioned sequence break. it's extremely unlikely for this to happen on a first playthrough, if only because the player lacks the context for why it should happen, but with that context it's a perfectly fine conclusion to the story. every character harry meets who knows about his past, including the phasmid, urges him to "turn away from the wreckage." if you go through the whole game without recalling dora, then you do exactly that, which just means that harry learned his lesson a bit earlier than he was supposed to

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Getting a restful night of sleep is not a total victory, but it is a victory. A restful night of sleep is good because you're a total loving mess. You're still going to have to confront your demons but now you can do with 8 hours of sleep.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I have an endgame RCM related question.

Where does the game indicate that the RCM are surviving communist army soldiers who were turned into the police?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
It's somewhere on the island IIRC. On the way up to the bunker but before you go in

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

sean10mm posted:

The gap between how morbidly depressing one dream is presented to the player vs the other really does not fit that reading AT ALL.

It seems like people are making their own extrapolations of how the endings "should work" rather than what they are actually presented to the player as.

Option A: You will relive this moment where you can only say wrong, bad and dumb things forever, you loving rear end in a top hat, you moron. Basically there is no hope except maybe a 1% reduction in seraing emotional pain over a period of decades. :smithicide:
Option B: Good job, have a nice nap for the first time all game. Feels good. :sun:

The point we are trying to make that you seem somehow incapable of grokking is that the material facts of the story undermine the presentation that you are fixated upon.

The feel good presentation of the no Dora dream is unambiguous. It also is not convincingly a solution if it is contingent upon never seeing, even for a moment, the iconography of the most popular religious figure in the world. Which it is contingent upon and that’s the problem.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

The point we are trying to make that you seem somehow incapable of grokking is that the material facts of the story undermine the presentation that you are fixated upon.

The feel good presentation of the no Dora dream is unambiguous. It also is not convincingly a solution if it is contingent upon never seeing, even for a moment, the iconography of the most popular religious figure in the world. Which it is contingent upon and that’s the problem.

harry still sees the imagery (it's impossible for him not to, the window is twenty feet tall), he just doesn't dwell on it and therefore make the connection between it and dora

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

On the other hand one of Inland Empire's tactics to avoid the ex-wife dream is telling you that you are too sad to jerk off and disco with Miss Page Three because drowning your libido may make you remember your libido when you still had your wife so NOPE GOTTA GO AVOID and that is completely unforgivable :colbert:

Also the dream is the only major point where multiple skills like Rhetoric and Conceptualization suggest something and immediately say they are sorry for making it worse and you should not listen to them anymore

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

sean10mm posted:

In my communist one it told me this and also that she was Middle Class :v:

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

"revachol detectives ain't poo poo!" -danny brown

https://www.twitch.tv/xdannyxbrownx

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Kalsco posted:

I'm playing through a second time and I'm trying to do the fascist vision quest. Problem is, I feel like I'm stuck.

I'm at the point where I'm asking all the local fascists about time travel. Gary, René, Lorry Driver, Measurehead. All nacht. I've managed to get René's story out of him, succeeded all checks and even got his medal. Gary is gone, Lorry Driver is exhausted of options, and Measurehead is just telling me to get a grasp of basic reality before coming back. Does this have something to do with Joyce's dialogue options? Day 4 so if it's René I'm basically at the end of the trail.

I believe if you didn't talk to Lena enough on day 1 to be confused on who you are, you'll never get the ability to ask Joyce about reality, so the fascism quest may be locked out

This is from what I read after I was stuck. I've never been able to complete it myself.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I just beat the game for the first time and I didn't get the dolores dream. Everything told me I should forget so I tried to. I didn't open the thing in the ledger until day 3 then shivers told me to throw the letter away and shivers was the skill I trusted most implicitly. Off to the wind it went.

E: I dunno if that actually affects it, just a guess. I didn't know about the dream at all until I finished and started looking through the spoilers here.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 5, 2021

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Ok, partially through a new playthrough, but doing it slowly. When does one get the chance to accept the political vision quest? I'm on day three now, but not seeing anything new... How does one trigger it?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Samovar posted:

Ok, partially through a new playthrough, but doing it slowly. When does one get the chance to accept the political vision quest? I'm on day three now, but not seeing anything new... How does one trigger it?
Go to bed on day 3.

You will get the option to engage with a particular philosophy as long as you've made at least 4 dialog choices supporting this philosophy (easily checked in your ledger) and haven't discarded the resulting thought. Internalizing the related thought is not necessary.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

NmareBfly posted:

I just beat the game for the first time and I didn't get the dolores dream. Everything told me I should forget so I tried to. I didn't open the thing in the ledger until day 3 then shivers told me to throw the letter away and shivers was the skill I trusted most implicitly. Off to the wind it went.

E: I dunno if that actually affects it, just a guess. I didn't know about the dream at all until I finished and started looking through the spoilers here.

Did you get any dream, or did you just not sleep when the game told you too? :v:

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

Kalsco posted:

I'm playing through a second time and I'm trying to do the fascist vision quest. Problem is, I feel like I'm stuck.

I'm at the point where I'm asking all the local fascists about time travel. Gary, René, Lorry Driver, Measurehead. All nacht. I've managed to get René's story out of him, succeeded all checks and even got his medal. Gary is gone, Lorry Driver is exhausted of options, and Measurehead is just telling me to get a grasp of basic reality before coming back. Does this have something to do with Joyce's dialogue options? Day 4 so if it's René I'm basically at the end of the trail.

Late to the party on this one but if you're still struggling I'm pretty sure you need to complete both the 'lowdown on reality' quest you get from talking to Joyce, as well internalising the Jamais Vu thought that lets you pass the conceptualization check that allows you to talk about the pale with her as well. Once you've completed both of them you unlock a tough Suggestion check with Measurehead which you need to pass to complete the quest.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

pablo gbscobar posted:

Late to the party on this one but if you're still struggling I'm pretty sure you need to complete both the 'lowdown on reality' quest you get from talking to Joyce, as well internalising the Jamais Vu thought that lets you pass the conceptualization check that allows you to talk about the pale with her as well. Once you've completed both of them you unlock a tough Suggestion check with Measurehead which you need to pass to complete the quest.

Bllllauauuaururougohogh

I got Jamais Vu and didn't bother. I knew it had to do with Joyce. That one dialogue tree seemed way too explicit a reference by measurehead. Oh well. I ended up finishing the game anyway to complete my "don't ever look at the body" run. Was hoping for a two-fer but knowing what is already said, roughly, in Measurehead's schpiel I think I won't try especially hard whenever I play my cheaty run in times to come. Thanks tho.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Discuss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
literally a galaxy brain take