Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xcheopis

Prof. Crocodile posted:

well i'm barely 40, so now I'm going to be worried about shingles for like a decade. :ohdear:

I am sorry to tell you this but people can get shingles in their 20s. It's just that the risk increases once you hit middle-age. Do you have a regular doctor you can ask?

Fifteen years taking prescriptions
Now a shrink like, "I dunno, maybe get a kitten"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifisto

xcheopis posted:

She should keep trying. I was referred for the vaccine in November of 2020 and was told to start trying to call to get an appointment after January 2021 because they were booked and didn't have any more Shingrix in any local hospital. In September I was finally able to schedule my first shot, which was in late December, the day before my first Moderna shot. They automatically scheduled me for the second, which was helpful. Being on immune suppressants puts me in the high-risk zone for shingles, so I am feeling -very- relieved!

:toot: glad it worked out for you!

ty nesamdoom!

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

xcheopis posted:

Get The Shot! I've had four shots and three blood draws in less than six months and I, too, hate needles. But Postherpetic neuralgia (PHN) (a not-uncommon side-effect of shingles) can last for years after the rash goes away.

Was she still able to get the vaccine?
She got covid vaccine but idk about shingles.

Prof. Crocodile posted:

well i'm barely 40, so now I'm going to be worried about shingles for like a decade. :ohdear:

My sister got shingles in high school!!! And also one year swine flu, and one year mono. She had a sickly high school experience I guess. My dad got shingles in his 20s or 30s when he was really stressed about work. If you’ve had chickenpox, you can get shingles pretty much anytime I think.

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

cruft

Yeah, I'm under 50 and I'm gonna be asking if I can get this vaccine this year at the physical I just realized I need to schedule.

cruft

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

If you’ve had chickenpox, you can get shingles pretty much anytime I think.

The way this works is really interesting! Shingles is actually just Chicken Pox Phase 2. When you "get over" Chicken Pox, it just retreats into your spinal cord and hangs out for a while, until it comes back as shingles.

I find this super interesting, second only to how rabies works in terms of "unique virus infection vectors".

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I have two get my Shingrix because I've already had shingles twice and it blows, it can keep reoccurring

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

Bring your own shingles

Zil

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Hot shingles in your area!!!

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

Zil posted:

alnilam

Zil posted:

lol

xcheopis

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Bring your own shingles

Zil posted:

xcheopis

Teddy Thunders posted:

I have two get my Shingrix because I've already had shingles twice and it blows, it can keep reoccurring

Aaaaaaa!

Manifisto

Zil posted:

lol

ty nesamdoom!

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

I feel like byob is entitled to some federal funding for how much has been done today itt to raise shingles awareness

xcheopis

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I feel like byob is entitled to some federal funding for how much has been done today itt to raise shingles awareness

I'm doing my part in the war effort

Goons Are Gifts

hello good morning what's the shingle situation here

Escape From Noise

Zil posted:

Finger Prince

I've been watching a look mum no computer livestream (pre recorded, so I guess not actually live. But it was at one point).
God I don't remember the last time I went to any kind of gig or concert. I guess it would have been Jamiroquai a couple of years back at Le Mans. I don't really see myself as a huge go to see live music guy, but I somehow inexplicably see some really cool poo poo like once a year maybe.

Ass-penny

Zil posted:

Escape From Noise

My cheese came with an extra treat.

Abugadu

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Finger Prince posted:

I have seen an owl cafe. It's freaky. Those aren't birds that should be kept like that imo.
Also saw a hedgehog cafe.

I went to the Meerkat Cafe in Seoul last time I was there, they also had a raccoon, wolves, wallabies, and something that looked like a serval cat.

But the best part is having meerkats crawl all over you.

sb hermit

I need to know once and for all if I'm allergic to cats or if I'm just allergic to cats that haven't had a bath in awhile.

Escape From Noise

Just had a very minor earthquake. They seem very common here.

Rarity

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh sorry that must have been my booty-poppin'

I'm a pretty pony! Sig credits: How Wonderful!, Heather Papps, MAP20 Gotcha, Plant MONSTER.

Escape From Noise

Rarity posted:

Oh sorry that must have been my booty-poppin'

Sounds like you may be ready for a career in the FBI

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Zil posted:

This reminds me of my favorite spur of the moment joke I made up.

I drove past a pub called "the horse and groom", and I said I was disappointed that they didn't have one of those hangy pub picture sign things with a picture of a horse in a veil and a guy in a tux and top hat.
The person I was with said "you mean a shingle?"
I said "well he wouldn't be shingle after he married the horsh."

(Apparently those pub signs are also called shingles.)

Finger Prince

sb hermit posted:

I need to know once and for all if I'm allergic to cats or if I'm just allergic to cats that haven't had a bath in awhile.

Probably cats. It's their saliva.

xcheopis

roomforthetuna posted:

I drove past a pub called "the horse and groom", and I said I was disappointed that they didn't have one of those hangy pub picture sign things with a picture of a horse in a veil and a guy in a tux and top hat.

Terrible. Just terrible. ;)

Prof. Crocodile

Abugadu posted:

I went to the Meerkat Cafe in Seoul last time I was there, they also had a raccoon, wolves, wallabies, and something that looked like a serval cat.

But the best part is having meerkats crawl all over you.

this sounds like a recipe for disaster. what if the animals work together to steal my bang bang shrimp?

Barking Gecko

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."
It's a good morning to wake up to bad jokes. :sun: :yaybutt:

xcheopis

Barking Gecko posted:

It's a good morning to wake up to bad jokes. :sun: :yaybutt:

Before I had my first sip of coffee, too.

Beef Of Ages

Your dumb is leaking.

roomforthetuna posted:

:golfclap:

Twenty Four

Escape From Noise posted:

My cheese came with an extra treat.

I swear there was a byob thread about "don't tell me not to eat the silica packet" or something a while ago! not sure where it is

cruft

Finger Prince posted:

Probably cats. It's their saliva.

Right. Odds are you're allergic to cat spit. If you're visiting someone with cats, ask them to please not vacuum for a few days prior, so the microscopic cat spit particles will be mostly settled on the floor, instead of flung into the air and suspended at nose/eye height. This can make a huge difference.

Escape From Noise

This thread should be goldmined imho
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3953394&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

cruft

I never got around to posting there that this maple syrup heist actually happened in Canada where the maple syrup cartel (which is a real thing that actually exists) lost massive amounts of syrup from their containers. They were refilled with water.

Finger Prince

cruft posted:

Right. Odds are you're allergic to cat spit. If you're visiting someone with cats, ask them to please not vacuum for a few days prior, so the microscopic cat spit particles will be mostly settled on the floor, instead of flung into the air and suspended at nose/eye height. This can make a huge difference.

My allergies aren't too bad with them, but once I learned about the cat spit, I make a conscious effort to always wash my hands immediately after petting or playing with one, before I go touching my face or rubbing my eyes or nose. It makes a huge difference.

Escape From Noise

Twenty Four posted:

I swear there was a byob thread about "don't tell me not to eat the silica packet" or something a while ago! not sure where it is

Yeah, some jerk posted it
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3950575&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Goons Are Gifts

I was, like, 80% certain I goldmined both that thread as well as the syrup smuggle one, because they've been on my sniper goldmine spreadsheet but apparently I was extremely wrong, so now I have to attone for my sins and do it now

I mean, when I'm on a computer in a bit, that is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty Four

lol nice of course it was one of yours, surprised I didn't post in it but remember it fondly