Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Escaping to the fantasy video game world of getting a decent wage and having upward mobility in your job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cup Runneth Over posted:

i say again, if you couldn't find the fun in riding around on a horse blowing throwing dynamite into KKK gatherings and blowing the stragglers' heads off with a shotgun idk why you play videogames

dynamites great! if you blow yourself up 3 times you can skip all the bad missions

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1JgapHbquU

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Jazerus posted:

most of the other games that have been mentioned are huge, fundamental departures from the way their predecessor played, generally trying to chase then-current trends in FPS design instead of sticking to their niche and trusting that they had a good thing going. i think you can chase trends if you're starting a new series but it's a real mistake to do so with a sequel; like, red faction 1 is very extremely derivative of half-life, but it works. serious sam is very derivative of doom and quake, but it works. their sequels tried to be some weird middle ground between the original game and halo, and that did not work at all; same for turok 2 wanting to be quake 2

i will never forgive the developers of FEAR 2

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

someone mentioned pathfinder kingmaker and idk how you play it. looks like dogshit.

all the modern CRPGs that ape the infinity engine games look awful, with the exception of Disco Elysium.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

KaptainKrunk posted:

someone mentioned pathfinder kingmaker and idk how you play it. looks like dogshit.

all the modern CRPGs that ape the infinity engine games look awful, with the exception of Disco Elysium.

Divinity looks good

And tyranny was alright design wise

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I built a bridge and a stretch of road and logged on to over 7000 new likes. this is incredible. i can feel the oxytocin calming my every nerve.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Man the amount of fuckin barley end game food requires is no joke

5 whole barley plants for a single loaf of bread cmon. Bunch say it's too close to grow but do anyway because I can only assume rocks below the growth line which the current build ignores

Anyway linen weighs as much as stone and that is funny to me

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i will never forgive the developers of FEAR 2

Oh poo poo yeah, that first FEAR game was so good. I’m upset you reminded me of FEAR 2.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
it's post apocalypse and the boundaries between Life and Death are fraying and this mother fucker wants a pizza? flat? within 30 minutes? binch they dont call me Porter for nothing.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Divinity looks good

And tyranny was alright design wise

Looking back, the only thing I actually liked about Tyranny was the magic system.

Admittedly, it was a very good magic system.

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

Jazerus posted:

frankly GUN is still the king of westerns

Hell yeah, still have the disc

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

pentyne posted:

Good or evil, they both loving slap.

The entire thing is a massive middle finger to the canon bad/good morality concepts and the whole jedi as magic superheros.

"You were blinded. --"

"--...at last you saw."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__gLIyeQYDU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Half Life 2 is… fun

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Reality Protester posted:

it's post apocalypse and the boundaries between Life and Death are fraying and this mother fucker wants a pizza? flat? within 30 minutes? binch they dont call me Porter for nothing.

there's a permutation of that mission that is probably the most grueling experience in the game

Enjoy!

christmas boots posted:

Half Life 2 is… fun

ya i distinctly remember playing it in our computer lab after launch

and i dunno what people are saying about the weapons feeling weak. the crossbow was brutal and I still remember the first time I shotgunned a riot cop in the face and the wall behind him exploded with blood

Durf has issued a correction as of 04:05 on May 6, 2021

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I am shocked, frankly, SHOCKED! at how many people dislike Halflife 2.

That game was loving amazing. You had your car level, your boat level, your long range sniper bridge fight, your prison turret battle, your buzzsaw horror level, and, yeah, a lot of physics puzzles. But, goddamn, that was a good game. The level design was loving amazing and every set big battle felt memorable. I honestly can't think of a single level that was "bad" except maybe the final stage. A few too many physics puzzles, but at the time those things were pretty drat nifty.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

HL2 was very good, fond memories of staying up on a school night to wait for the midnight unlock. I think I got to the canals at like 3 am before it was time to go to bed. and of course all the weird poo poo in the leak that kept me occupied for a long time before that.

the pistol and smg did feel a bit weak but the rest were good. hm kinda wanna try a playthrough now and see how it holds up.

I do remember the AI being rather terrible compared to the scripted demos they showed which was unfortunate.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Durf posted:

there's a permutation of that mission that is probably the most grueling experience in the game

Enjoy!

ya i distinctly remember playing it in our computer lab after launch

and i dunno what people are saying about the weapons feeling weak. the crossbow was brutal and I still remember the first time I shotgunned a riot cop in the face and the wall behind him exploded with blood

the main problem with the weapons in half life 2 was that the combine rifle was the best gun and it was really boring

the first two guns, the pistol and the smg, which are all you have for a long time are also really underwhelming

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the combine rifle's alternate fire that was a bouncy ball that disintegrated people was pretty cool though

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Half Life 2 isn’t bad, but HL 1 was good enough that I played it the first time in 2011 and it still blew me away. I didn’t have a pc that could run HL until 2011, so it was Doom or consoles only. I moved to HL 2 shortly after and I finished like half of it.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Durf posted:

Enjoy!

Oh yeah the one with the champagne, that was a bitch

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

TheMightyBoops posted:

Half Life 2 isn’t bad, but HL 1 was good enough that I played it the first time in 2011 and it still blew me away. I didn’t have a pc that could run HL until 2011, so it was Doom or consoles only. I moved to HL 2 shortly after and I finished like half of it.

Black Mesa is an incredible remake, they've been chipping away at it for years and it really shows.

I still really like HL2, the mood is incredible, the script is great, and the speed and glassy movement (and not having ADS) is like a time capsule from an earlier era of FPS.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Epic High Five posted:

Man the amount of fuckin barley end game food requires is no joke

5 whole barley plants for a single loaf of bread cmon. Bunch say it's too close to grow but do anyway because I can only assume rocks below the growth line which the current build ignores

Anyway linen weighs as much as stone and that is funny to me

the weights are pretty hosed up in general. barley wasn't great but the greater problem is there just isn't a good way to harvest en-masse. iirc you can use the spin attack from the altgier which harvests more/faster barley but it's still a pain in the rear end to hoover up. this goes for most crops though.

linen seems really unfinished because i had like 1000 linen after farming it like once and barely had to use it, so it was nice to just megafarm it once and forget about it ever again

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I wish there were more single player shooters inspired by Half-Life's largely unbroken linear journey from beginning to end. What else has done it?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i beat the dragons dogma dlc just now.
only took like 6 years to find out that you can drink a stamina potion to move again when the final boss sucks you into his vortex thing. thought you were just dead once it got you all this time but nope. get owned

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

pentyne posted:

The sheer disgust for the player tapers off pretty quick, and then comes back 400% for the last dungeon.

the second-to-last dungeon (which i assume is the one you meant) is so incomprehensibly awful that it's almost impressive

im not sure how much worse it could have been if they had tried to make it bad

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

snoremac posted:

I wish there were more single player shooters inspired by Half-Life's largely unbroken linear journey from beginning to end. What else has done it?

not a single game, they are the only one

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
I still like HL2 but man did it miss out on not having the wild weapon variety of HL1. You got a goddamn Ghostbusters proton cannon thing, grubs you could throw at people and an arm that you could shoot out loving bees with. And the best 2 could offer was a laser gun with a secondary fire that sent a bouncy ball everywhere that could just instantly kill you

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

snoremac posted:

I think Duke Nukem Forever was trying to do that (but much worse obviously.)

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I tried to play hl2 again last year and found the levels, at least the first two, to be just way too long. the first canal run sapped any desire I had to keep playing

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Half Life 2 is the exceedingly rare video game where what it accomplishes in moving forward the art of narrative storytelling in video games as a medium ultimately outweighs whether or not everyone "likes" it or even if everyone has "fun" playing it.

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
re: FEAR, my one sole memory of throwing a grenade at a dude in bullet time and the slow-mo "ohhh shiiiit" that followed is enough to rank that game as one of the best shooters of all time

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Pyrus Malus posted:

re: FEAR, my one sole memory of throwing a grenade at a dude in bullet time and the slow-mo "ohhh shiiiit" that followed is enough to rank that game as one of the best shooters of all time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEY0jXeWD2k

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Half Life 2 is the exceedingly rare video game where what it accomplishes in moving forward the art of narrative storytelling in video games as a medium ultimately outweighs whether or not everyone "likes" it or even if everyone has "fun" playing it.

I don't think letting you jump on top of boxes and throw things around the room while unskippable cutscenes happen is the narrative leap forward you think it is.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
halflife 2 is loving trash

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

half life 2 is pretty cool. not as cool as grand theft auto san andreas but pretty cool

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Half life is a brilliant videogame. Half life 2 also, just great and well presented worlds.

Half life 2 has a couple of slow sections but just 2 minutes ago i was reading people defending resident evil 6 as a good game

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
half life 2 was an FPS with crap weapons and awful vehicle levels filled with physics puzzles because our new engine

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i had fun playing it and i think people get a little too opinionated about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

[Gaming thread] i had fun playing it and i think people get a little too opinionated about it

edit to add actual content: I'm about a month late on Loop Hero, but what I remember people saying about it suddenly and immediately becoming uninteresting is 100% true. Absolute blast right up until the point I "figured it out," but man I went from playing it a ton to not at all overnight once I beat the last boss and did a couple resource runs to finish off the town.

Lugubrious has issued a correction as of 07:12 on May 6, 2021