Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

hostile apostle posted:

There's a literal post on this page of someone sperging out how individual pixels are the wrong shade of purple

You can't even reply to that without lying. He said the color shift was not a Stadia issue but is instead a part of the game.

He was complaining about the tremendous macroblocking in scenes with fine grain or gradients, which Hotline Miami 2 is absolutely packed with.

hostile apostle posted:

yea, its not gonna stack up against your 3090

Hotline Miami 2 runs smoothly on phones. It's a 2D indie game from 2015. This is not an Elite Gamer™ showoff piece.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

LIke, attributing bad CS to something specific to Stadia is pretty dishonest :P. Google's CS is ALWAYS bad.

Nobody said or implied it was an issue unique to Stadia, but it is an issue with Stadia's parent company and so is still applicable to the topic at hand. Similar to how Facebook's news feed may not be relevant to Oculus users, but Facebook's data collection absolutely is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

hostile apostle posted:

And even still it the best streaming tech out there. The fact is streaming does make gaming more accessible for people, with lower upfront investment, ability to bring the devices they already have, and play in more places. Maybe that fact bothers the elitist gamer in you.

yea, its not gonna stack up against your 3090 - we've known that about streaming tech for the last year and half or more - whoopee

Play in more places? even when working literally as well as the stadia possibly can, even when working completely as advertised, that is absolutely false.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

hostile apostle posted:

There's a literal post on this page of someone sperging out how individual pixels are the wrong shade of purple

The image quality is noticeably poor, actually. And it’s worse in motion, and laggy. I guess it’s possible to overlook, if you are a credulous rube or corporate shill.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

hostile apostle posted:

yea, its not gonna stack up against your 3090 - we've known that about streaming tech for the last year and half or more - whoopee

And yet there's a whole subreddit full of Stadia cultists who would virulently disagree with you, and will proselytize at the drop of a hat about how Stadia gives them a top-of-the-line gaming rig experience without all the associated costs, so who's really telling the truth here :thunk:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Cool it with calling HA names please, I understand you are irate at him but please.

HA stop lying or advertising or shilling or making excuses for everything with more lies. People call you out because you do exactly this. They are fed up with your condescending handwaving of everything.

If you cannot do this simple stuff then I think you should remove yourself from the thread again or I will do so for you.

ATM Machine
Aug 20, 2007

I paid $5 for this

hostile apostle posted:

[...] anyone can play a hour demo of RE8 for completely free right now - there's still great games being added.

Hi I live in Australia how do I use Stadia to play these great games

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

quote:

Australia is one of four countries of the 13 with caps where 100% of plan options had download caps, and it ranked fourth in average download limit size (27 GB).

quote:

Resolution Data usage
Up to 4K (Stadia Pro only) Up to 20 GB/hr

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

veeg plz

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Not sure how I missed that! Thank you :)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Source? Because this seems to be pretty old data. Most non-mobile internet plans here have unlimited data nowadays.

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom
When google shuts down stadia then cultists can finally say something along the lines "Thank god finally, this is good for stadia. Google was holding it back".

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Stadia crawled so Google Cloud Messenger could run

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

The Kins posted:

Source? Because this seems to be pretty old data. Most non-mobile internet plans here have unlimited data nowadays.

This is mobile internet-specific, pretty sure. Though you're right it's old.

However, as a proud member of the 'NBN just did a copper line hook up to my place, lowest ping 300' club, has anyone actually tried Stadia in Australia?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

madfury posted:

When google shuts down stadia then cultists can finally say something along the lines "Thank god finally, this is good for stadia. Google was holding it back".
When Stadia does finally closes down and someone posts the news article here HA is gonna reply with "uhh actually everyone on the team was fired and the office doors locked months ago. Various janitorial workers have been filling in monitoring the servers since then. Just more rehashed old news by click bait sites"

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom

American McGay posted:

When Stadia does finally closes down and someone posts the news article here HA is gonna reply with "uhh actually everyone on the team was fired and the office doors locked months ago. Various janitorial workers have been filling in monitoring the servers since then. Just more rehashed old news by click bait sites"

gently caress, you might actually be right. First I read it as satirical reply but the more I think about the more it sounds plausible.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

hostile apostle posted:

And even still it the best streaming tech out there. The fact is streaming does make gaming more accessible for people, with lower upfront investment, ability to bring the devices they already have, and play in more places. Maybe that fact bothers the elitist gamer in you.

Just out of curiosity, have you gotten to try Geforce Now, because from comparison videos it looks like it blows Stadia out of the water. The fact that you get ray tracing support for Cyberpunk is pretty decent. Just curious if the Stadia team know what the competition are up to.

Not a Geforce employee, since that needs to be said on this thread.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
hold on, Hostile Apostle is a confirmed google employee? When did I miss out on that?

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
HA eventually revealed it and even offered some goon promo codes and such to try out Stadia. They ate a few bans for advertising on the thread and is back now since Stadia is featuring more in the news / Cyberpunk released on Stadia.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

PowerBeard posted:

HA eventually revealed it and even offered some goon promo codes and such to try out Stadia. They ate a few bans for advertising on the thread and is back now since Stadia is featuring more in the news / Cyberpunk released on Stadia.

His rap sheet is actually rather funny. Three probes for all of 2006-2018, then 9 in a row all for shilling Stadia.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
maybe the original HA sold his account and some google employee is using it now

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Tired Moritz posted:

maybe the original HA sold his account and some google employee is using it now

hostile apostle was fired in January, and not much love was to be honest. He was not very well liked by many people on the forums and many felt he held Games back from what the Forum wanted it to be. A lot of posting was deprioritized for his pet Threads.

Had very little customer facing shitposting experience prior and don't think he very much understood what gamers actually wanted.

There are other product managers stepping up to fill in apostles role.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

hostile apostle was fired on the way back to his home project

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

hostile apostle posted:

If you're talking about my post, the results I found at 210+ mbit should shock anyone.
Like the induced flickering is bad enough that I, someone who can stomach every form of VR I have tried, couldn't play long enough to complete the third level without risking a severe headache.

hostile apostle posted:

And even still it the best streaming tech out there
It's actually the worst, OP.
The encoder has obviously been tweaked by someone using an iPad outdoors in the sun, because I don't know how else someone could have looked at how severely it collapses in dark scenes and thought it looked ok.
GFN is a mile better at dark shades with less bitrate.

I also get 12ms ping to Google and 35ms ping to GFN, but GFN has lower input latency.
I wonder if both issues are predicated on your decision to go AMD and not use nVidia and NVENC?

Even really medicore encoders have found ways to disguise banding going on years. You can't eliminate it, but you can do a lot to stop it being very obvious. The banding regions in Jedi: Fallen Order are about as obvious as pre-x.264 single CD :filez: RIPs always were. Are you defaulting to very-fast preset or something?

And this isn't just me. Comparison shots of most games on GFN/stadia show such an apparent encoder difference, it's STILL visible when viewed through goddamn youtube compression.
As a positive I will say in the 2hrs I have tried it thus far, I have experienced close to zero connectivity events.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

hostile apostle posted:

Why with gaming so accessible with the stadia and so inaccessible for everything else is stadia drowning?.
You can buy stadia you cant buy a new GPU, or an xbox or a playstation. This is literally the best case scenario for stadia (pandemic where people are stuck in their homes, limited hardware availability) yet it's still a piss in the bucket. Broken games stay broken for way too long, execs leaving, stadia is failing and floundering.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

tater_salad posted:

Why with gaming so accessible with the stadia and so inaccessible for everything else is stadia drowning?.
You can buy stadia you cant buy a new GPU, or an xbox or a playstation. This is literally the best case scenario for stadia (pandemic where people are stuck in their homes, limited hardware availability) yet it's still a piss in the bucket. Broken games stay broken for way too long, execs leaving, stadia is failing and floundering.

If the Stadia team weren't so completely inept, they could've made an absolute killing by just tossing out a free month for everyone and anyone to try Stadia back in April/May to hoover up subscription when lockdowns and WFH really went into effect worldwide with the proper marketing campaign and there was a shortage on consoles from everyone trying to buy videogames just to stay sane at home. There literally has not been a better opportunity for Stadia to succeed than this past year, and they squandered it in such a way that borderlines negligence rather than ineptitude.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Oh they did try just literally giving it away.
It didn't work either.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Khablam posted:

Oh they did try just literally giving it away.
It didn't work either.

Right at one time I was able to get a free stadia setup for literally nothing not even shipping I Think for being a youtube plus subscriber or just like a person with a pulse.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Healbot posted:

hostile apostle was fired in January, and not much love was to be honest. He was not very well liked by many people on the forums and many felt he held Games back from what the Forum wanted it to be. A lot of posting was deprioritized for his pet Threads.

Had very little customer facing shitposting experience prior and don't think he very much understood what gamers actually wanted.

There are other product managers stepping up to fill in apostles role.
:golfclap:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

hostile apostle posted:

lol your service can't even do "purple" in a retro 16-bit game

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Shumagorath posted:

lol your service can't even do "purple" in a retro 16-bit game

Close enough who would notice the difference? This doesn't destroy the vision of the artist at all.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

pixaal posted:

Close enough who would notice the difference? This doesn't destroy the vision of the artist at all.

:hmmyes:

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Khablam posted:

If you're talking about my post, the results I found at 210+ mbit should shock anyone.
Like the induced flickering is bad enough that I, someone who can stomach every form of VR I have tried, couldn't play long enough to complete the third level without risking a severe headache.

It's actually the worst, OP.
The encoder has obviously been tweaked by someone using an iPad outdoors in the sun, because I don't know how else someone could have looked at how severely it collapses in dark scenes and thought it looked ok.
GFN is a mile better at dark shades with less bitrate.

I also get 12ms ping to Google and 35ms ping to GFN, but GFN has lower input latency.
I wonder if both issues are predicated on your decision to go AMD and not use nVidia and NVENC?

Even really medicore encoders have found ways to disguise banding going on years. You can't eliminate it, but you can do a lot to stop it being very obvious. The banding regions in Jedi: Fallen Order are about as obvious as pre-x.264 single CD :filez: RIPs always were. Are you defaulting to very-fast preset or something?

And this isn't just me. Comparison shots of most games on GFN/stadia show such an apparent encoder difference, it's STILL visible when viewed through goddamn youtube compression.
As a positive I will say in the 2hrs I have tried it thus far, I have experienced close to zero connectivity events.

Couple things- google, for reasons that aren't clear, custom-manufactures their data center hardware. In many cases (almost certainly including this one), they partner with a hardware manufacturer to get it done. So while the stadia hardware is certainly AMD, it may not be AMD's fault if it sucks.

Secondly, google people like to write software that already has great open source alternatives, and they like to ask people with no experience with the type of software being written to do it. So for instance, between the main streamer-side encoders and the stuff running in twitch's data centers, all the video you watch on twitch was encoded end-to-end in real time using open source software that is readily available to google. And this is by and large the case everywhere. But google's encoding is almost certainly custom, written by someone who three years ago was writing web apps (or more likely, graduating college). So it's not even clear if the AMD hardware sucks.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
If memory serves, the Stadia hardware is a slightly cut down Vega 56 unit and a pretty bad CPU, probably of the Zen 2 persuasion. Even when they announced it, the hardware they were running on was in the 'low-mid range' of PC hardware. Now days, a 3600 paired with a 3060 would destroy it.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:

30.5 Days posted:

Couple things- google, for reasons that aren't clear, custom-manufactures their data center hardware. In many cases (almost certainly including this one), they partner with a hardware manufacturer to get it done. So while the stadia hardware is certainly AMD, it may not be AMD's fault if it sucks.

Secondly, google people like to write software that already has great open source alternatives, and they like to ask people with no experience with the type of software being written to do it. So for instance, between the main streamer-side encoders and the stuff running in twitch's data centers, all the video you watch on twitch was encoded end-to-end in real time using open source software that is readily available to google. And this is by and large the case everywhere. But google's encoding is almost certainly custom, written by someone who three years ago was writing web apps (or more likely, graduating college). So it's not even clear if the AMD hardware sucks.

VP9 was created by Google, Google is not creating alternatives to open source codecs. Google has a lot of institutional expertise with video compression - YouTube, Chrome, Chromecast. Video encoding was not built from the ground up by the Stadia team.

There is compute overhead to run game streaming, so the performance does take a hit from what you would get from a local equivalent of the same hardware.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

If memory serves, the Stadia hardware is a slightly cut down Vega 56 unit and a pretty bad CPU, probably of the Zen 2 persuasion. Even when they announced it, the hardware they were running on was in the 'low-mid range' of PC hardware. Now days, a 3600 paired with a 3060 would destroy it.

my 3600 with 1070 destroys stadia most games run at 1440p @~60-100 FPS. My GPU works pretty hard at it but no-mans sky runs well at 90FPS at 1440p

e: no one cares about your strawman Hostile.
e2: If streaming carries an overhead why did goggle pick old rear end GPU's and at best mid-grade CPU's ?

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 6, 2021

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/thedextriarchy/status/1390367001592225796?s=21

Weedle
May 31, 2006

hostile apostle posted:

There is compute overhead to run game streaming, so the performance does take a hit from what you would get from a local equivalent of the same hardware.

wow these blades must really suck rear end

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Weedle posted:

wow these blades must really suck rear end

While you were gaming locally, I studied the blade.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

gschmidl posted:

While you were gaming locally, I studied the blade.
No man they are fast blades how could they not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

the more i think about this the less sense it makes. is the processor that's encoding the stream the same one that's running the game? why wouldn't you give your custom streaming hardware a dedicated coprocessor for hardware encoding??? what the gently caress??????