Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Aesthetic criticism without acknowledgement of contemporary understanding is pretty useless, especially in something as tied to a given time period as entertainment.

Without the benefit of the cultural zeitgeist and understanding of what it lead to, what kid is gonna pick up pac man today and be like "oooh this is so important and fun"
To modern eyes pac man is loving poo poo garbage that one person could poo poo out of their basement in a couple of hours.

Like it's not "wrong" to say HL2 doesn't hold up to the same threshold it set when first released but what is the use of that's pretty shallow analysis.
and pac man was probably never fun anyhow
Dig Dug should've been the gaming hero of the 80s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
half life 2 was an fps with a largely unimpressive collection of guns that weren't all that satisfying to use (barring the gravity gun and the alt fire of the combine rifle), a fairly limited amount of enemy types, and an overreliance on the new whizbang aspects of its engine leading to way too many irritating physics puzzles. there were also multiple pain in the rear end vehicle sections which is a mortal sin in an fps. at release it was above average but the march of time has rendered it solidly mediocre.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

adds up, element #20, this is just science

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Aesthetic criticism without acknowledgement of contemporary understanding is pretty useless, especially in something as tied to a given time period as entertainment.

Without the benefit of the cultural zeitgeist and understanding of what it lead to, what kid is gonna pick up pac man today and be like "oooh this is so important and fun"
To modern eyes pac man is loving poo poo garbage that one person could poo poo out of their basement in a couple of hours.

Like it's not "wrong" to say HL2 doesn't hold up to the same threshold it set when first released but what is the use of that's pretty shallow analysis.
and pac man was probably never fun anyhow
Dig Dug should've been the gaming hero of the 80s

pac man rules gently caress you

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Kitfox88 posted:

half life 2 was an fps with a largely unimpressive collection of guns that weren't all that satisfying to use (barring the gravity gun and the alt fire of the combine rifle), a fairly limited amount of enemy types, and an overreliance on the new whizbang aspects of its engine leading to way too many irritating physics puzzles. there were also multiple pain in the rear end vehicle sections which is a mortal sin in an fps. at release it was above average but the march of time has rendered it solidly mediocre.

Not enough waifus either ....

Clearly not GoTY material.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

etalian posted:

Not enough waifus either ....

Clearly not GoTY material.

this problem is easily fixed with the cinematic alyx mod so it's not even worth considering in the rankings smdh

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Too heated in here, time to talk about Star Ocean again and how my main character is already a god who can stunlock everyone.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Pac Man couldnt be made today but now the reasons are institutional rather than technological

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Epic High Five posted:

Pac Man couldnt be made today but now the reasons are institutional rather than technological

I could see it being an indie game coming out of nowhere, but you wouldn’t get the physicality of the actual machine. Pac Man is universal, and while Bubble Bobble is more insane and fun for me Pac Man is distilled fun, and I assume it clicks with any child that’s seen a Pac Man machine in the wild.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

cancel culture

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Kitfox88 posted:

HL2 did make you use some terrible weapons at the start, but I loved it anyway and if you look at the other games at the time it was a masterpiece. The SMG and pistol felt bizarrely anemic and HL2 may have the least satisfying grenade ive ever used in a video game. On the other hand, the Magnum, the Shotgun and the Crossbow were pretty sweet because of the rag dolls. The gravity gun was amazing and crazy innovative. RPG was ok and the alt fire to combine rifle was unique and cool too. Honestly it was about 50/50 on the weapons.

And again, it has to be judged in the context of when it was released. What other FPS games were out that you can even compare it to in 2004? Everything was ugly and terrible in the early 2000s. Even now the only truly great FPS campaign I can think of is Titanfall2. I'm sure I'm missing a few, but great single player FPS campaigns are not common. I'd nominate Dying Light as well but it's not really a shooter for most of the game.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Norton posted:

HL2 did make you use some terrible weapons at the start, but I loved it anyway and if you look at the other games at the time it was a masterpiece. The SMG and pistol felt bizarrely anemic and HL2 may have the least satisfying grenade ive ever used in a video game. On the other hand, the Magnum, the Shotgun and the Crossbow were pretty sweet because of the rag dolls. The gravity gun was amazing and crazy innovative. RPG was ok and the alt fire to combine rifle was unique and cool too. Honestly it was about 50/50 on the weapons.

And again, it has to be judged in the context of when it was released. What other FPS games were out that you can even compare it to in 2004? Everything was ugly and terrible in the early 2000s. Even now the only truly great FPS campaign I can think of is Titanfall2. I'm sure I'm missing a few, but great single player FPS campaigns are not common. I'd nominate Dying Light as well but it's not really a shooter for most of the game.

I think most FPS developers are tempted by the idea they can just make some mechanics, maps, and multiplayer so they just either don’t have or half rear end the campaign.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Kitfox88 posted:

Perhaps the guns were made less than satisfying to use to encourage the use of the gravity gun?

In any case, I don't think you can fully place it in the FPS category. Like, it combined FPS gameplay, puzzles, first person tactics and tower defense and driving in a surprisingly cohesive whole. Obviously if both driving and puzzles irritate you that's gonna sour you on the game quite a lot, but I feel like the overall mix works pretty well in terms of selling the world. Instead of just getting teleported to the next action set piece, you basically have to traverse the world in its entirety, resulting in an entirely different experience - one of a world that's slowly and undramatically falling apart before you enter the scene and spice things up.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Half Life 2 and its episodes were great gently caress the haters

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
HL2 is very much of its time. not every game is timeless and can be enjoyed decades after its release. but this is one reason why HL3 seems really unlikely to me, they've waited so long that if they released something similar to HL2 now it would bomb really hard so they have to totally reinvent it and i really doubt they have many veteran FPS designers at Valve anymore.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
Im ambivalent on HL2 but fear is such a better game that holds up. The atmosphere and gun plat are top notch

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Someday someone will try an actual demake and it will probably flop, but I will love it. HL 3 should be in GoldSrc.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I am playing Dishonored 2 and Arkane still makes cool levels for first person games where you can shoot stuff.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

uber_stoat posted:

HL2 is very much of its time. not every game is timeless and can be enjoyed decades after its release. but this is one reason why HL3 seems really unlikely to me, they've waited so long that if they released something similar to HL2 now it would bomb really hard so they have to totally reinvent it and i really doubt they have many veteran FPS designers at Valve anymore.

valve claims their intent with the half life series is to use it as a platform to push the medium, and i do believe them. so yeah, if we ever get half life 3 it’s going to be far from a standard fps or what we got from half life 2. this is why we got half life alyx (it’s the best vr game sorry haters), they saw the opportunity to do something novel with vr and they ran with it. who knows what their next gimmick will be.

(spoilers gabe newell is going to neuralink half life 3 into your brain and give you a real life seizure, goty)

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Lostconfused posted:

I am playing Dishonored 2 and Arkane still makes cool levels for first person games where you can shoot stuff.

Prey was really fun (especially the Mooncrash DLC) and I'm excited for Deathloop.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

The Blood remake is on sale. That’s a fun FPS, also FEAR is a dollar all the time and rules.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

So all of you nerds talking about old fps games, I am not seeing anyone mention No One Lifs Forever. I thought that was supposed to be good?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Lostconfused posted:

So all of you nerds talking about old fps games, I am not seeing anyone mention No One Lifs Forever. I thought that was supposed to be good?

no

NOLF2 was good tho

and NOLF3 will never come out due to coypright limbo hell

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Prey is great but Dishonored 1 and 2 are some of my favourite games ever, the tone of that world is just wonderful

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

playing Jedi fallen order and getting really mad at this rabid jotaz thing

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Just tuned into an REVIII stream and it's almost certainly going to be one of those games where all the protagonists are so dumb you end up rooting for the bad guys

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Lostconfused posted:

the problem with that is that no one really knows who owns the rights anymore and i guess no one cares enough to spend the money to find out, so you have to warez it to play it these days unless you have the actual physical media.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

HL2 isn't even in the top 5 of games that came out in 2004

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Epic High Five posted:

Just tuned into an REVIII stream and it's almost certainly going to be one of those games where all the protagonists are so dumb you end up rooting for the bad guys

My favorite stupid thing of RE7 was the cop who didn't question the barb wired window in front of his face when talking to the protagonist, gave him a knife and then didn't bother to turn his head all the way around when the garage door suddenly closed behind him.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

grieving for Gandalf posted:

HL2 isn't even in the top 5 of games that came out in 2004

Man I had to look up again what games came out that year, forgot how many incredible releases happened that year

Where the gently caress is my Psi-Ops sequel

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

SirSamVimes posted:

I'm very much enjoying the revisionist history of "actually HL2 was bad"

i think its reception at launch clearly shows how ground breaking it was but going back now its a lot of loving sewer to get through in that first 3rd of the game and clunky physics puzzles dont have the same impact.
some are going to look at it and disagree with the hype the way a movie goer would laugh at the idea of an early cinema audience ducking for cover when a train came at the screen.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Epic High Five posted:

Ah the famous "Far Cry" strategy

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Perhaps the guns were made less than satisfying to use to encourage the use of the gravity gun?

In any case, I don't think you can fully place it in the FPS category. Like, it combined FPS gameplay, puzzles, first person tactics and tower defense and driving in a surprisingly cohesive whole. Obviously if both driving and puzzles irritate you that's gonna sour you on the game quite a lot, but I feel like the overall mix works pretty well in terms of selling the world. Instead of just getting teleported to the next action set piece, you basically have to traverse the world in its entirety, resulting in an entirely different experience - one of a world that's slowly and undramatically falling apart before you enter the scene and spice things up.

Yeah, the level design was what really did it for me. Every level was completely different from the last complete with its own theme and pace. And somehow they all worked pretty drat well. I have particularly fond memories of speeding past 15 firing soldiers to jump a dirt bike through a glass window, and I dunno if I've ever felt the same level of animosity towards a boss as I did that loving helicopter that followed you through multiple levels on strafing runs. It felt so freaking good when they slapped that machine gun on your airboat and you finally got revenge.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

On the other hand you were going through a level and then randomly run into a long rear end level load break.

And they kept doing it in another games like Portal 2.

Source engine loving sucks.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
not having a shotgun right up until ravenholm ruled because it was just about when you'd quit and you finally get a sweet rear end sounding shotty
it's called edging

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

like an hour and a half in and I haven't seen one clock or light ray based puzzle, wtf has happened to this series since I last played it with RE2? Next you'll tell me they don't do things like put you in a police station where the jail cells are hidden behind an animal crest puzzle

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Lostconfused posted:

On the other hand you were going through a level and then randomly run into a long rear end level load break.

And they kept doing it in another games like Portal 2.

Source engine loving sucks.

This is way worse in alyx

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

At this point HL 3 might not be happening because it would be really weird if Valve had to license Unreal.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Epic High Five posted:

so it's an RE game, sounds good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

TheMightyBoops posted:

At this point HL 3 might not be happening because it would be really weird if Valve had to license Unreal.

HL3 is not happening because with valve's non-management style, devs end up spending months working on liquid shaders for bottles instead of making an actual game

they run their company like a research college with no publishing requirements