Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Two Beans posted:

I love how British people talk about "foreign invaders" being a bad thing for them, when the only things noteworthy about their history and culture came from foreign invaders (including the times when they begged foreigners to invade them).

Boudicca was foreign? And I'm not sure that dismissing Celtic/ ancient British culture as "non-noteworthy" would work well in Wales, Cornwall or Scotland.

Plenty of culture and folklore derives from Celtic/ ancient British people who've inhabited the British Isles for a drat long time. I see a lot of it and the effects it has on modern culture every day, and I think it's pretty offensive to dismiss it.

And I don't think that saying foreign invaders, such as the Romans, Vikings, Angles, Saxons, Jutes, Normans et al did their utmost to suppress and destroy that culture is actually untrue.

In fact I'm not sure this wasn't a pretty racist statement, all things considered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

tight aspirations posted:

Boudicca was foreign? And I'm not sure that dismissing Celtic/ ancient British culture as "non-noteworthy" would work well in Wales, Cornwall or Scotland.

Plenty of culture and folklore derives from Celtic/ ancient British people who've inhabited the British Isles for a drat long time. I see a lot of it and the effects it has on modern culture every day, and I think it's pretty offensive to dismiss it.

And I don't think that saying foreign invaders, such as the Romans, Vikings, Angles, Saxons, Jutes, Normans et al did their utmost to suppress and destroy that culture is actually untrue.

In fact I'm not sure this wasn't a pretty racist statement, all things considered.

Celtic culture came from the gauls, who hailed from what is now france and europe

The picts were a native people, so were the welsh, iirc, and thats about it

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Racist against Celts and Picts? Or their ancestors?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

I wish I could find it but the best twitter reply I have ever seen was someone posting an upside down smiley face emoji to Mussolini's descendant's twitter rant.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

It's a day that ends in "y", so here's another round of Amy's BBQ Company.

What is kind of amazing about this is that those reviews are saying that some of the food actually tasted good. Compared to other reviews where people are just being snarky and jerks for the sake of it, those reviews are actually for good at critiquing and saying some good stuff about the place. The owner, unable to take any criticism whatsoever, just goes full stupid.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Also, Parliament literally did beg William of Orange to invade and depose James II for the crime of being a Catholic, although in true British fashion that’s not technically considered an invasion.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

RFC2324 posted:

Celtic culture came from the gauls, who hailed from what is now france and europe

The Gauls were a subset of the Celts, not the other way around.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

Makes me wonder what cultural vulnerability the US has like that...

Ice cream.

quote:

By 1943, American heavy-bomber crews figured out they could make ice cream over enemy territory by strapping buckets of mix to the rear gunner’s compartment before missions. By the time they landed, the custard would have frozen at altitude and been churned smooth by engine vibrations and turbulence—if not machine-gun fire and midair explosions.

The U.S. Navy spent $1 million in 1945 converting a concrete barge into a floating ice-cream factory to be towed around the Pacific, distributing ice cream to ships incapable of making their own. It held more than 2,000 gallons of ice cream and churned out 10 gallons every seven minutes.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2017/08/ice-cream-military/535980/

US submarines were equipped with their own ice cream machines as well.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Sinteres posted:

Before the Iraq War I definitely would have put my money on the UK, since they were still making an effort to punch above their weight class in terms of projecting military strength. They've cut their military a lot since then though, once they saw how that strength just got them sucked into stupid wars that didn't do them any good, so it's a close call and France might even have a slight edge now.

France is the only country other than the US that has meaningful overseas power projection and engages in colonial foreverwars.

Also stop being racist against the british folks

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Byzantine posted:

Ice cream.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2017/08/ice-cream-military/535980/

US submarines were equipped with their own ice cream machines as well.

That's almost adorable.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

France is the only country other than the US that has meaningful overseas power projection and engages in colonial foreverwars.

ancestry.com says I am 80% british, I'm allowed

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I don't think France and Britain are going to declare war but it sure would be a nice early birthday present.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I'm told the enemies in World War 2 would flee in terror from the bloodcurdling screams of American soldiers on the search for ice cream.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

RFC2324 posted:

ancestry.com says I am 80% british, I'm allowed

94% british :sun:

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Push El Burrito posted:

I'm told the enemies in World War 2 would flee in terror from the bloodcurdling screams of American soldiers on the search for ice cream.

Hans do you hear somezing?

ice cream Ice Cream ICE CREAM

UNT poo poo IT'S THE AMERICANS

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah, France still has colonies. People tend to forget that.

lol my mom is french and she's usually fine but she hates Cinco de Mayo because the mexicans "brutally" killed a bunch of french people and I'm just like "so why were the french there, mom? :)"

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Push El Burrito posted:

Call the roller of big cigars,
The muscular one, and bid him whip
In kitchen cups concupiscent curds.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

The picts were a native people, so were the welsh, iirc, and thats about it

No it didn't, it's the other way around. And why are you trying to tell me who you think the native people are? Are you saying the Picts and the Welsh had no culture?

You are aware the Welsh language is still a thing that exists, right? And so is Cornish, for that matter.

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Racist against Celts and Picts? Or their ancestors?

Saying ancient British culture was non-noteworthy and the only worthy culture came from invading foreigners is incredibly reductive, dismissive and - I'm pretty sure - racist, yes. And it's "my ancestors" tyvm.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

So much to unpack about this post.

First off, I wasn't talking about the Iceni or any of the ancient cultures that inhabited the islands prior to Romanization. I was talking about modern gammon assholes bitching about foreigners coming into their country and taking over.

Also, last I checked the nations that identified their history and cultures coming from the celtic peoples the most (Welsh, Cornish, Scots, Irish) were not fans of being called "British". Britishness is more of an English concept, that they took from the Romans.

In fact, the modern concept of Great Britain was first pushed by James I, who for all intents and purposes a "foreigner" who "took over" England. James IV of Scotland couldn't wait for Elizabeth I to die off so he could inherit via his ties to the House of Tudor. The Tudors were also Welsh "foreigners who took over" when they married into the Plantagenet family (french foreigners who took over).

Also, I find it funny the idea that an American (me) would be found as being racist against the British. As if the British were a race, rather than a concept invented by elitist aristocrats for the purposes of nationalist propaganda. Also that white limeys could ever be victims of racism. Jolly good. Pip-pip. Wot.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It’s not reductive it is what happened, very little of pre Anglo Saxon Britian survived. Historians can only be so sure do to there being very little records but the general agreement is the natives acclimated pretty much completely to their new masters.

Weird nationalism aside this is just what happened

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Saying ancient British culture was non-noteworthy and the only worthy culture came from invading foreigners is incredibly reductive, dismissive and - I'm pretty sure - racist, yes. And it's "my ancestors" tyvm.

Reductive, dismissive and ignorant yeah, but not racist. They're my ancestors too, it's why I'm ghost white. You can't be racist against white people.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
We can all agree that a nation that once controlled so much of the world they would openly brag about "The sun never sets on the British Empire" bitching about foreigners is pretty loving hilarious though, right?

British Nationals who'd retired to southern Spain being forced to go back to Britain because they voted leave is also funny.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Skwirl posted:

We can all agree that a nation that once controlled so much of the world they would openly brag about "The sun never sets on the British Empire" bitching about foreigners is pretty loving hilarious though, right?

British Nationals who'd retired to southern Spain being forced to go back to Britain because they voted leave is also funny.

How dare you criticize the legacy of Boudicca?!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

joylessdivision posted:

Hans do you hear somezing?

ice cream Ice Cream ICE CREAM

UNT poo poo IT'S THE AMERICANS

This vid also acts as a convenient metaphor for the US in WWII.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXaoi6dz59A

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Daaaamn that boudi don't quit

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Whiteness is 100% bullshit.
I challenge you to find a population as ghostly pale white as irish people, and we weren't considered 'white' until it was useful. Until that point, we were considered apelike, sub-human dimwits.
Whiteness is an infinitely flexible barrier that has nothing to do with complexion and everything to do with power.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Two Beans posted:

How dare you criticize the legacy of Boudicca?!

What’s funny is the only reason we know much about her is the son in law of the general who put her rebellion down was a historian . So he wrote a history to puff up the in-laws

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Pookah posted:

Whiteness is 100% bullshit.
I challenge you to find a population as ghostly pale white as irish people, and we weren't considered 'white' until it was useful. Until that point, we were considered apelike, sub-human dimwits.
Whiteness is an infinitely flexible barrier that has nothing to do with complexion and everything to do with power.

There's an Irish comedian who said (I'm paraphrasing) "bars used to have signs that said, 'no Irish, no Blacks, no dogs.' but honestly a bar that was just Irish and Blacks and dogs would be the best bar ever."

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Ware ye, ware ye. Recall what happened last time this thread discussed whether it was possible to be racist to the British.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
that one ben franklin quote about swedes and germans being of a swarthy complexion

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Kenning posted:

Ware ye, ware ye. Recall what happened last time this thread discussed whether it was possible to be racist to the British.

You can't be racist against white people.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s not reductive it is what happened, very little of pre Anglo Saxon Britian survived. Historians can only be so sure do to there being very little records but the general agreement is the natives acclimated pretty much completely to their new masters.

Weird nationalism aside this is just what happened

Lol what? Little of pre Anglo Saxon Britian survived? Maybe in England but that's not true for Scotland and Wales. The Welsh still speak a Celtic language.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Scotland and Wales are British colonies, that don't make Scots and the Welsh Brits.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Scotland and Wales are British colonies, that don't make Scots and the Welsh Brits.

They're British, but they aren't English (or maybe I have that backwards).

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Apologies, I just read some lovely, uplifting articles about how black GIs were astonished about how politely and respectfully they were treated in 1940's Britain, and that was a major driver for the US civil rights movement.
Those guys found out that being treated as lesser wasn't universal, and things really could be better.
My favorite part was when some US servicemen demanded that segregation be inforced in British pubs, so the pub owners said only black patrons were welcome. Because they were better mannered and better patrons than the white GIs

The Welsh and the scots are not British, they are Celts. The Welsh are especially remarkable since they managed an astonishingly successful revival of the language. Any culture that can revive its language after being extensively anglicized is impressive. Ireland got anglicized in the mid 19th century and it effectively killed the language. We all learn irish in school from the age of 5, but virtually no-one becomes fluent as a result.

A really weird thing I just learned today is that a varient of bloody middle English survived in Ireland until the early part of the 19th century. I had heard of it as Yola, but I thought it was just a few local words, when it was an entire dialect.

Pookah has a new favorite as of 20:11 on May 6, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Mega Comrade posted:

Lol what? Little of pre Anglo Saxon Britian survived? Maybe in England but that's not true for Scotland and Wales. The Welsh still speak a Celtic language.

None of pre-anglo-saxon Scotland survived. The lowlands were colonized by saxons who spoke what became scots and at the same time the highlands were colonized by gaels from Ireland. There aren't any picts or strathclyde welsh anymore.

The english then proceeded to colonize the new scots some more.

The language of roman-era Scotland was brythonic akin to welsh, cornish, and breton, rather than gaelic. People think these are all the same but they're two distinct celtic language groups.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 20:06 on May 6, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Pookah posted:

Apologies, I just read some lovely, uplifting articles about how black GIs were astonished about how politely and respectfully they were treated in 1940's Britain, and that was a major driver for the US civil rights movement.
Those guys found out that being treated as lesser wasn't universal, and things really could be better.
My favorite part was when some US servicemen demanded that segregation be inforced in British pubs, so the pub owners said only black patrons were welcome. Because they were better mannered and better patrons than the white GIs

Yeah, when fights broke out between white and black GIs at a bar in the UK the brits would usually fight on the side of black GIs

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Skwirl posted:

You can't be racist against white people.

Anglo-Saxons? White? Surely you jest

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Mega Comrade posted:

Very little was in common between those countries and when people say British they mean English.

Considering the Normans made no real attempts on Scotland and didn’t attempt to conquer Wales until the 13th century.

I have yet to see a Scottish person identify as British.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
They tested Cheddar Man who died in 7150 BC In Somerset and found his ancestors came from north east Europe, and he was black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Excuse me, I'm so white I bleed mayonnaise.