Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Lockback posted:

To that point, the same arguments were made to blow up the Raptors for the same reason and then they got a lucky trade break and won a title.

They are not the Raptors, this is not a team running into a superstar that is just better than them. This is a team that they had to change the rules to let into the playoffs last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Nurk kind of was their lucky trade thing.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Nurkic has to be one of the weirdest trades in recent NBA history, where one side gets objectively the far far far better deal (trading a good starting center and a first for a backup center and a second round pick) and it made the team on the losing side of it way better.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/lakeshowyo/status/1390372192064458755?s=21
the silence feels a little weird but lol

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Dexo posted:

lol Reading up on Nate Bjorkgren and he is just literally Jim Boylen

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2942713-inside-the-turbulent-tenure-of-indiana-pacers-coach-nate-bjorkgren

This is just all Jim Boylen stuff

I never get tired of reading about sports organizations with all this money and time just making hiring decisions by asking their friends and friends of the guy they're interested in what they think.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1390390328499310596

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Yeah Simons, Kanter, Melo, Hood, Trent Jr and Little are hard to watch on defense.

Most of the issues stem from the fact that Olshey was given a bad hand to start when Aldridge left and all he had to build around was Lillard and McCollum. But his hits haven't been big enough (Nurkic, Harkless, Trent Jr, Kanter, Powell, Seth Curry) and the team has been weighed down by his mistakes (Evan Turner, Simons, Zach Collins, Crabbe, Meyers Leonard, Stauskas, Tolliver, Hezonja, Bazemore, Ariza, DJJ)
Other than whiffing on Meyers Leonard these mistakes are pretty justifiable to varying degrees imo. Turner and Crabbe are what happens when you're expected to use cap room and no one will come to your small/rainy/white city. Zach Collins was not considered injury-prone coming out of college. Everyone else was either dirt-cheap or on a totally-manageable contract.

I don't count Ariza as a miss, he was part of flipping Bazemore, he generally met expectations and was actually pretty good on defense, plus we flipped him into Covington (who obviously has not transformed the defense, but if you think they're bad now try taking him off the court and watch the tire fire). I'm not big on Simons but feel like the jury is still out, he's only 21 and should hang around as a scorer.

I'm unapologetically pro-Olshey: his draft credentials are good, the fact that he gets anyone to sign here at all is commendable, he's been as important as Dame in establishing roster continuity, he's restored front office credibility, and he hasn't pissed off Dame. His ability to find rotation players in the second round is ridiculous; going back to 2012, literally every single 2nd-round pick he's brought in has stuck in the league

2012: Will Barton (40)
2013: Allen Crabbe (31)
2014: No 2nd-round picks
2015: Pat Connaughton (41)
2016: Jake Layman (47)
2017: No 2nd-round picks
2018: Gary Trent Jr (37)
2019: No 2nd-round picks

That's...really important when you play in Portland.

The problem here imo has been a) injuries and b) Stotts is a below-average defensive coach. While I salute the playoffs streak, I think it's a whole lot to do with Dame is Awesome and the roster is talented. I would support an offseason shakeup.

The one that interests me is whether they'll manage to convince Norm Powell to re-sign. Olshey has maintained from day one that CJ is effectively untouchable, but that was before Powell was on the team. I love CJ's game but think Powell is a better fit next to Dame. I don't know what the advanced stats say but I think he's a better defender and it seems like he gets into the paint so much more often. However I don't see how they can fit Powell without moving another big piece. Nurkic won't do it, plus he anchors the "defense"; good luck getting anyone to take on CJ's contract. Regardless they seem focused on keeping him around. Recent Athletic piece:

quote:

Norman Powell was still getting over the shock of being traded from Toronto to Portland when he found himself on the phone with members of the Trail Blazers’ organization. He couldn’t believe his ears. They asked the oddest of questions, Powell thought.

What laundry detergent did he use, and what scent? What was his mom’s favorite color? What snacks did he like? Did he have pets? Did he prefer red or white wine? What size bed did he sleep on?

“They asked literally everything,” Powell said.

One week later, when the Blazers returned from a four-game trip, bringing Powell to Portland for the first time as a Blazer, it all made sense. Powell had been in Portland for less than a day, but already he felt like he had a home.

The Blazers had arranged for Powell to rent the vacant house of former player Kent Bazemore, located on the banks of Lake Oswego. And inside the home, Powell found it was stocked with all his favorite necessities, from a California King size bed and big screen TV, right down to the lavender-scented laundry detergent and Welch’s Berries-N-Cherries fruit snacks. The organization even arranged for a service to drive his two Pomeranian Huskies — Apollo and Odin — from Tampa to Portland. Waiting for them were dog beds filled with toys.

“It was amazing,” Powell said. “And I mean, AMAZING. They went all out. They did everything you can think of to make sure that I’m comfortable.”

Much of the personal detail was made with Powell’s impending free agency this summer in mind.

“We have a very brief time to make a strong and lasting impression on Norman,” said Neil Olshey, the Blazers’ president of basketball operations. “That doesn’t just mean on the basketball court, but also for life off the court for himself and his family.”

The Blazers want to give Powell a window into what life can be like in Portland long term. It’s why they decorated in colors that would appeal to his mother, furnished rooms to make his girlfriend comfortable, and directed him to a home with pristine views of the lake and Northwest foliage.

“The first step to getting a ‘yes’ on a contract is getting a ‘yes’ on the market and town, so we want to show the best possible version of ourselves,” Olshey said. “We hope he wants to be here, and if he doesn’t, then it won’t be for lack of information.”

Stuff like this is why I think moving on from Olshey would be a really big mistake. There are a lot of similar stories over his tenure that demonstrate his philosophy re: small-market challenges.

anyway, prognosis: Move on from Stotts, sell out to keep Powell, keep Nurk if you can, hope for no more season-ending injuries :xd: yeah right, be happy with 2nd round because realistically anything more is gravy

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The Crabbe thing wasn't great but it was also partly because New Jersey and Sean Marks were in straight up gently caress it trolling mode and you're kind of over the barrel at that point

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

rivetz posted:

I would support an offseason shakeup.

What does that look like to you?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

rivetz posted:

The one that interests me is whether they'll manage to convince Norm Powell to re-sign. Olshey has maintained from day one that CJ is effectively untouchable, but that was before Powell was on the team. I love CJ's game but think Powell is a better fit next to Dame. I don't know what the advanced stats say but I think he's a better defender and it seems like he gets into the paint so much more often. However I don't see how they can fit Powell without moving another big piece. Nurkic won't do it, plus he anchors the "defense"; good luck getting anyone to take on CJ's contract. Regardless they seem focused on keeping him around. Recent Athletic piece:

Stuff like this is why I think moving on from Olshey would be a really big mistake. There are a lot of similar stories over his tenure that demonstrate his philosophy re: small-market challenges.

anyway, prognosis: Move on from Stotts, sell out to keep Powell, keep Nurk if you can, hope for no more season-ending injuries :xd: yeah right, be happy with 2nd round because realistically anything more is gravy

this is really cool

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

rivetz posted:

I think we're both on the same page that Olshey has done a good job considering his constraints. But so far he has only been able to hit singles and a double/triple (Nurk). To compete for a title the team really needs more results like that or better.

I also agree with your suggestion for what the team should do next.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kingcobweb posted:

Nurkic has to be one of the weirdest trades in recent NBA history, where one side gets objectively the far far far better deal (trading a good starting center and a first for a backup center and a second round pick) and it made the team on the losing side of it way better.

there was a point where I kinda thought Utah dumping Kanter for nothing so they could fully commit to Rudy at center was like this but it doesn't look that bad now since Kanter kinda stinks.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
This is kind of nebulous since we don't know the backroom negotiations and all that, but I feel like Olshey missed on selling high on McCollum. Maybe his value was never there on the trade market though, idk.

OH WORD SON
Apr 21, 2006
I think a team looking for an iverson could use mcollum.

Also as an aside, this is the most the squad has talked about the blazers in years and every time I go 'i wonder what SAS thinks about my team I love', I usually don't get it. I live in a portland centric echo chamber and don't get true opinions on the subject.

My team stinks lmao

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The highest value I think McCollum might have had was when Philly had that last high pick and I don't even know if any sides were serious about that or if it was just sports media doing a Bill Simmons

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Lockback posted:

My only concern is if the Warriors knock out the Lakers Monkeu is going to be pretty irritating.

Yes, I just came to that terrible realization recently. GSW possibly defeating LAL in the play-in tournament.

AD can still assassinate GSW players in video games though. AD ate too many large bags of ruffles potato chips. :rip: 2021 Lakers.

Spacebump posted:

The Mavs have added an additional mascot, Mavrello Ballovic.

The NFT of that will sell for hundreds of thousands of American dollars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrvGdNu55dU

The skills required to lead the league in DRtg and DWS simultaneously.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

OH WORD SON posted:

I think a team looking for an iverson could use mcollum.

Also as an aside, this is the most the squad has talked about the blazers in years and every time I go 'i wonder what SAS thinks about my team I love', I usually don't get it. I live in a portland centric echo chamber and don't get true opinions on the subject.

My team stinks lmao

at least the blazers are cool, though.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Coffee chain yanks Louisiana man’s franchise over crude reply to LeBron James post
https://www.yahoo.com/news/coffee-chain-yanks-louisiana-man-181440262.html

Nikola Vucevic being #3 in hero points this year seems like an oddity. The third most coveted Avenger recruit in 2021.

a new study bible! posted:

I'm asking if the league ever differentiated between the situations.

Governments, ruthless dictators and c-level executives can be illogical and show partiality so too can the NBA.

The Glumslinger posted:

I miss the Daily Dime, it was such a great recap of all of the games the previous night and what you should be excited to watch the next night.

I miss Woody Paige and Jay Mariotti arguing on TV. Jay Mariotti has not been on TV since a domestic violence incident in 2010.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 6, 2021

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The Blazers are at a weird point where they're good enough at their best that they should be winning games but bad enough on a regular enough basis that you can't trust them to be good. They're a hot and cold team that are exciting and frustrating in equal measure.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Four New Positive COVID-19 Tests Among Players Since April 28
https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2021/05/four-new-positive-covid-19-tests-among-players-since-april-28.html

League Fines Kyrie, Nets $35K Apiece
https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2021/05/league-fines-kyrie-nets-35k-apiece.html

Lockback posted:

I thought Big O's triple-double season was completely untouchable and Westbrook did it 4 times on 2 different teams. Nuts.

I doubt anyone will ever replicate his actual averages of 30.8/12.5/11.4 from 1962.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Zogo posted:

Coffee chain yanks Louisiana man’s franchise over crude reply to LeBron James post
https://www.yahoo.com/news/coffee-chain-yanks-louisiana-man-181440262.html

Good. PJ’s has great granitas.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Zogo posted:

Nikola Vucevic being #3 in hero points this year seems like an oddity. The third most coveted Avenger recruit in 2021.

Makes sense to me. Vooch is one of the most all around players in the league. It's a straight up one point for every point, rebound, assist, steal or block and one deducted for misses, misses at the line, or turnovers.

So the better question is, who does this system represent unfairly and I conclude, "Tre Young", who is gonna be dinged twice, and also despite being so high up, Giannis, because the ft penalty is ridiculous. In what universe is a missed free throw as bad as a missed shot?! If you get fouled shooting you get two, so if you split them, that's a way better outcome than missing a bad shot, and sure, it's worth one more hero point, but split pairs = 0 points, even though it actually advances the score? Get the gently caress outta here, Hero Points.

edit
In a vacuum, a split pair of free throws is more valuable than a block, steal, or rebound.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 6, 2021

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
But Hero Points sounds cool

much more than Herro Points which are only good at Subway

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

MourningView posted:

there was a point where I kinda thought Utah dumping Kanter for nothing so they could fully commit to Rudy at center was like this but it doesn't look that bad now since Kanter kinda stinks.
Kanter doesn't stink at all. His lateral mobility is nonexistent and the poo poo defense from the guards routinely forces him to do stuff he can't do (which does stink) but his 1-on-1 against post players is at least average, if only because he's 7'. On offense, he's a surprise honestly, soft touch and a ton of moves. As a card-carrying veteran of the Hassan Whiteside Experience I've had a real good look at zero calories at C; 2nd in the NBA in offensive RPG at only 25 min a night is objectively good. During Feb Mar when CJ and Nurk were out he saved this team's rear end again and again and again; in March he averaged 13/12 while shooting 67% from the floor and 87% from the line. I'm pretty sure Portland would be clinging for dear life to a play-in slot if not worse without his contributions.

Plus he's $5M/yr plus he's a cool guy plus we unloaded Hezonja for him, a value which frankly cannot be expressed in mere WS/48

OH WORD SON posted:

agree, it's nice every once in a while. It's cool when a team other than the usuals becomes the focus for a page, good reading

quote:

My team stinks lmao
Yes they do, but at least they score a lot and are super fun to watch when they're rolling. If you're not in the running for a ring it's seriously all you could ask for.

morestuff posted:

What does that look like to you?
~ Get rid of Stotts, bring in someone with a defensive pedigree
~ Get serious about moving CJ, and by that I mean stop telling the world he's untouchable. He's a very good SG and could help a team that could cover for his size and defensive shortcomings. It's very hard to see a backcourt this bad on defense even sniffing a Finals without somehow stumbling into an all-world defensive presence like the Dubs did. If I could move CJ for a middle-of-the-road SG + a C that can actually rotate while staying healthy + some cap wiggle room, I would probably do it, like if the Pacers got goofy and agreed to Myles Turner and parts. I feel like Jeremy Lamb would double his scoring average playing next to Lillard.
~Do pretty much whatever you need to do to keep Powell here on a 4- or 5-year deal. If you need to move Nurk, CJ or one of the young guys like Simons or Little to free up room, do it. That guy has toiled in obscurity thus far in his career, but he is really good and I think he can absolutely be a #2 option on a contending team
~ Sell high on Anfernee Simons to some desperate GM
~Keep Melo around as long as he wants to be here and doesn't mind coming off the bench

rivetz fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 6, 2021

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
if you can only play center and you suck at defense you stink unless you provide something really special on the other end like KATs shooting or Jokic's playmaking. There is a reason he keeps signing relatively tiny short term deals with a new team every year! He's very good at beating up on backup centers but if you play him heavy minutes you are probably going to be pretty bad.

E: Philly fans Jokic does not suck on defense shut up

MourningView fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 6, 2021

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Speaking of which, Denver has improved on defense so much recently they’re 10th overall in DRTG on the season. Their perimeter defense is so much better with a rotation of Shaq Harrison, Austin Rivers, and starter minutes for Facu.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

MourningView posted:

if you can only play center and you suck at defense you stink unless you provide something really special on the other end like KATs shooting or Jokic's playmaking. There is a reason he keeps signing relatively tiny short term deals with a new team every year! He's very good at beating up on backup centers but if you play him heavy minutes you are probably going to be pretty bad.

E: Philly fans Jokic does not suck on defense shut up
He kissed Dame on the top of his head after the OKC walkoff 3, the very definition of special

OH WORD SON
Apr 21, 2006

rivetz posted:

He kissed Dame on the top of his head after the OKC walkoff 3, the very definition of special

He also helped beat the jokic-led nuggets with one working arm, during Ramadan

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Veryslightlymad posted:

If you get fouled shooting you get two, so if you split them, that's a way better outcome than missing a bad shot, and sure, it's worth one more hero point, but split pairs = 0 points, even though it actually advances the score? Get the gently caress outta here, Hero Points.

edit
In a vacuum, a split pair of free throws is more valuable than a block, steal, or rebound.

going to the line denies your teammates the chance to gain a hero point off of the assist. it also denies your teammates the opportunity to earn their own hero points from a bucket. someone who doesn't take full advantage at the line by missing their free throws doesn't deserve to be called a hero.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
w/r/t the blazers, I thought maybe their dogshit defense might be due to scheme. Then I looked up the minutes played on the roster this year and Kanter is 3rd and Melo is 4th so yeah that defense is not Stott's fault lmao

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

kingcobweb posted:

w/r/t the blazers, I thought maybe their dogshit defense might be due to scheme. Then I looked up the minutes played on the roster this year and Kanter is 3rd and Melo is 4th so yeah that defense is not Stott's fault lmao
Stotts-coached teams defensive ranking

ATL 2003-04: 22nd
ATL 2004-05: 24th
MIL 2005-06: 23rd
MIL 2006-07: 29th
POR 2012-13: 25th
POR 2013-14: 16th
POR 2014-15: 9th
POR 2015-16: 19th
POR 2016-17: 22nd
POR 2017-18: 6th
POR 2018-19: 16th
POR 2019-20: 27th
POR 2020-21: 29th

There are absolutely a lot of caveats and asterisks in there, and a lot of injuries, and a lot of bad defensive players he's inherited one way or another, but also that is a lot of bad defense.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

OH WORD SON posted:

He also helped beat the jokic-led nuggets with one working arm, during Ramadan

one of the most insane things i've ever seen

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Veryslightlymad posted:

edit

It's not. Average team scores a bit more than a point per possession, 2 FTs uses a possesion so a team that does nothing but split free throws as their offense is the worst offense in the league. Half-court offense is a bit under a point so in that case splitting free throws is a positive, but not by much.

A steal removes a possession from the other team (robbing them of an expected point) and gives you a possession (granting a point) not to mention that steals result in a better than average PPP because you are more likely to get a fast break/transition opportunity. So it's way more valuable than splitting free throws.

Guys who shoot under 50% from the line are frequently fouled on purpose, to give you an idea on how little value there is to only splitting free throws.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

kingcobweb posted:

No one's forcing him to play Melo (that we know of). A lot of Melo's minutes have come at the expense of Derrick Jones Jr, who's obviously not a great player but on balance if you know you're trotting out Simons and Kanter in your 2nd unit, maybe lean defense at another position because lol.

I don't even dislike Stotts, I've been pretty happy with him overall. But his team consistently just seems lost defensively and it's not like it's a team of rookies.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
if u cant shoot FT's is anything stopping you from just bouncing off the glass real hard back towards you/ your team or is that just a convenient accident tactic

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

verbal enema posted:

if u cant shoot FT's is anything stopping you from just bouncing off the glass real hard back towards you/ your team or is that just a convenient accident tactic

It's a dead ball if it doesn't hit the rim. Trying to bounce the ball off the rim and into someone's hands is real hard.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Someday we'll have the next level Onuaku, who's transcended granny shot into automatic rim bounce to teammate rebound

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Kanter is an excellent back up center .

I’m being sincere. There aren’t many of them and they are valuable

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Lockback posted:

Trying to bounce the ball off the rim and into someone's hands is real hard.

Reminds me of this classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quB6qp_IQuQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
It's too bad that Michael Gallup didn't play basketball , or you could make a good Smog "Say Valley Maker" reference like so

Oh I Kantered out here
Now I'm Galluping back