Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

horchata posted:

Made cookie butter babka over the weekend...and immediately threw it up cause I had the bright idea of making it after getting my 2nd covid shot. Tastes good though now that I've recovered.

OMG YES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
sorry you were sick but it looks great!

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

You cannot post that without posting a recipe what the gently caress

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
High hydration goons: how are you getting a robust crumb in a high hydration, Dutch oven bread? I try to fold the sides into each other using scrapers until it has gotten enough flour to be handled. I then turn it 45 degrees and repeat four times around (full 360 degrees). This rests 30-60 minutes on a banneton before baking. It's a little flimsy so I think I need to handle it some more.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I make the double fed sweet levain sourdough bread from FWSY quite a bit.

My problem is it spreads out too much. I use two bannetons with one being slightly smaller than the other and I like how the bread is out of the smaller one. I want the bread to be more of a loaf useful for slicing than I want it to be this domed bread because while I get a good rise out of it, the middle pieces are huge and long and not great for avocado toast. Yes I can cut them in half but then it’s like the pieces are juuust a bit too small.

I use a 7 qt Dutch oven which means it has quite a bit of room to spread out as well.

I’m thinking the easy answer would be smaller bannetons? Maybe even an oval banneton?

nwin fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 5, 2021

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

High hydration goons: how are you getting a robust crumb in a high hydration, Dutch oven bread? I try to fold the sides into each other using scrapers until it has gotten enough flour to be handled. I then turn it 45 degrees and repeat four times around (full 360 degrees). This rests 30-60 minutes on a banneton before baking. It's a little flimsy so I think I need to handle it some more.

do you do any pinching and folding during the fermentation period? i find this makes a noticeable difference in the end result, especially if you aren't doing a robust primary kneading

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

mediaphage posted:

do you do any pinching and folding during the fermentation period? i find this makes a noticeable difference in the end result, especially if you aren't doing a robust primary kneading

No multiple rounds of pinching and folding with this dough. It's very wet. I'm doing about 85% hydration here. So it rises up, gets that treatment I describe, and then rises again in a banneton.

My primary knead is 3 minutes at speed #2 in a large, old Hobart. It's one turn a second. It's my typical kneading time for other doughs, but I don't know how well it works with really wet stuff. It isn't like it's grabbing on to the hook and getting a tour of the sides of the bowl. It's more like it's just getting spooled up while oozing back down into place. So I don't know if I should toy with that too.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Have you tried doing an overnight proof in the fridge?

Go from fridge straight into hot oven.

It'll hold the shape out of the basket better until it rises enough to hold its own shape.

I've found breads with an overnight proof get a darker crust while baking too.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Thumposaurus posted:

Have you tried doing an overnight proof in the fridge?

Go from fridge straight into hot oven.

It'll hold the shape out of the basket better until it rises enough to hold its own shape.

I've found breads with an overnight proof get a darker crust while baking too.

This is what I do, prove in the fridge overnight and straight into the oven

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

No multiple rounds of pinching and folding with this dough. It's very wet. I'm doing about 85% hydration here. So it rises up, gets that treatment I describe, and then rises again in a banneton.

My primary knead is 3 minutes at speed #2 in a large, old Hobart. It's one turn a second. It's my typical kneading time for other doughs, but I don't know how well it works with really wet stuff. It isn't like it's grabbing on to the hook and getting a tour of the sides of the bowl. It's more like it's just getting spooled up while oozing back down into place. So I don't know if I should toy with that too.

i find wet doughs pretty tricky. you might try the pinching and folding to build a little more structure for super wet doughs. it may or may not work on your doughs, but it's worth a try imo. i tend to do up to 40-50 folds (4-8 at a time) with like an hour between rounds.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

mediaphage posted:

i find wet doughs pretty tricky. you might try the pinching and folding to build a little more structure for super wet doughs. it may or may not work on your doughs, but it's worth a try imo. i tend to do up to 40-50 folds (4-8 at a time) with like an hour between rounds.

4-8 folds totaling 40-50 folds? So is that folding once an hour over a 5-12 hour span?

I'm more inclined to try the cold ferment first just out of laziest, but it also seems to work out for pizza. However, I see hourly folding more in stuff I've done before and it makes me think I can't take a shortcut on it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

4-8 folds totaling 40-50 folds? So is that folding once an hour over a 5-12 hour span?

I'm more inclined to try the cold ferment first just out of laziest, but it also seems to work out for pizza. However, I see hourly folding more in stuff I've done before and it makes me think I can't take a shortcut on it.

more or less. really you can do it as soon as things relax a bit but i can't be bothered to, say, set fifteen minute timers just to fuckin fold some dough lol

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

CancerCakes posted:

I keep seeing bread cutting guides through targeted adds, anyone have any experience of them? Seem gimmicky.

Back in the 1970s, when my dad baked the household bread, we had a hand-driven rotary slicer, which we used for sandwiches. It worked. If you have the counter space, just clip it to the counter and leave it. Apparently those aren't made any more, neither is the electric one Rival used to make.

I got mocked in school for bringing sandwiches on "round bread". Ah, the joys of childhood.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Back in the 1970s, when my dad baked the household bread, we had a hand-driven rotary slicer, which we used for sandwiches. It worked. If you have the counter space, just clip it to the counter and leave it. Apparently those aren't made any more, neither is the electric one Rival used to make.

I got mocked in school for bringing sandwiches on "round bread". Ah, the joys of childhood.

An electric meat slicer? They're still pretty common here, unless it's something specific about that exact model. I have one that looks like that in my loft somewhere.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
Made some telera style rolls today for tortas later tonight. The recipe is from King Arthur Baking, but to get them to appear more traditional, you need to score them prior to final proof with something like a metal straw instead of using King Arthur's knife scoring technique. I learned that from deep in the comments. Someone mentioned techniques they saw on youtube so I did some searching and found this helpful video.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Aramoro posted:

An electric meat slicer? They're still pretty common here, unless it's something specific about that exact model. I have one that looks like that in my loft somewhere.

No, my parents' was hand-cranked, which was somewhat more controllable and safer, although I still got myself a time or two.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
The electric ones seem to go left-right. I'm trying to imagine a manual one. Is it more like forward-backward?

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Made the king arthur english muffin toasting bread and holy poo poo it's easy. Mix stuff, put in loaf pan, rise and bake. Came out great and it's got a perfect crumb for toast. Lots of little pockets ready to suck up butter.

It also makes truly superior cinnamon toast.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

No, my parents' was hand-cranked, which was somewhat more controllable and safer, although I still got myself a time or two.

Oh yeah I assume they don't make hand cranked ones now. But they still make electric ones.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

The electric ones seem to go left-right. I'm trying to imagine a manual one. Is it more like forward-backward?

Nope. It looked very much like the electric one, except there was a hand crank in the middle of the blade (on the casing side). Looked like this one, although I remember ours having a teak cutting surface.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

mdxi posted:

It also makes truly superior cinnamon toast.

Can confirm. It's just perfect for any toast related project

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Nooner posted:

I AM TRYING TO MAKE SOURDOUGH I MIXED 100 GRAMS OF RYE WHEAT AND 100 GRAMS OF LUKE WARM WATER JUST LIKE THE BOOK I HAVE SAID IT IS GOING TO TURN INTO BREAD AND I WILL BAKE IT AND EAT IT

I FINALLY MADE THE SOURDOUGH!!!!!!

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Nooner posted:

I FINALLY MADE THE SOURDOUGH!!!!!!

Awesome, now on to step 2.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I neglected my levain for like, 3 days after making it up. The beads still rising but I may die from ergot poisoning.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

I neglected my levain for like, 3 days after making it up. The beads still rising but I may die from ergot poisoning.

nah that's fine

once you have a colony of microorganisms there's a protective effect against inoculation by other microorganisms to an extent

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

So I did not bake a weekend bread for two weekends because life happened. Tuesday my 7yo came up to me and said "When are you going to make one of those delicious breads again, dad?" So yeah, there is a levain happening rn and for good measure I will bake a second "normal" no knead. He will have all the bread.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Keetron posted:

So I did not bake a weekend bread for two weekends because life happened. Tuesday my 7yo came up to me and said "When are you going to make one of those delicious breads again, dad?" So yeah, there is a levain happening rn and for good measure I will bake a second "normal" no knead. He will have all the bread.

:unsmith:

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Keetron posted:

I don't have kids yet but that's like the dream right? Maybe if he cut the grass first.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
My son is coeliac which is such a drat shame because he loves bread, pies, cakes etc. The GF alternatives are not bad to pretty decent but rarely as good as the real thing. I’d love to bake gluten stuff for him.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

therattle posted:

My son is coeliac which is such a drat shame because he loves bread, pies, cakes etc. The GF alternatives are not bad to pretty decent but rarely as good as the real thing. I’d love to bake gluten stuff for him.

ricciarelli are a really delicious almond flour cookie that i believe* is GF. also, for whatever reason all of my youtube subscriptions have recently been pushing almond-based cardamom cakes that might work for your son.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I made those and they tasted like dust and sadness. I hope your results are better.

My in-laws visited and they always bring bread. I try not to be insulted but it's always white sliced so I have decided it's not me it's them.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

cookies are one of the things almond flour excels at imo, it doesn't make great bread.

therattle, you might want to check out ideas in food's book gluten-free flour power. i used their first what iif flour blend (which is not vegan but i think it's better than those that followed), which adds protein to the flour by adding quite a bit of instant milk powder. makes for a great chocolate-chip cookie base.

they have a good brioche in there that i've made for a celiac friend. it doesn't have the elasticity of actual bread but it tastes great.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
We made some almond-flour biscotti last weekend that was pretty tasty, especially straight out of the oven.

Like most stuff, I think the secret is butter.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

mediaphage posted:

cookies are one of the things almond flour excels at imo

Agreed. Neither my wife or I are gluten-sensitive, but we have friends and family who are, so she started going though a lot of GF recipes so she could make tasty things to ship people during the holidays. This KAF almond shortbread recipe was so good that it went into our regular rotation. It's just a great cookie -- and as they note, you can take it in a lot of directions. My wife's favorite is maple-pecan; my favorite is pistachio cranberry.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Huxley posted:

Like most stuff, I think the secret is butter.

We do some almond crescents although we might ultimately dump some flour in it. However, it is just an excuse to eat butter.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I had my wet dough knead for 5 minutes instead of just 3. Outside of that, I cold fermented and then dumped it straight in the dutch oven. It had much less rise but I think it was properly proofed regardless. Slices were more robust. I don't think it is entirely a done deal yet. I might rest it in a banneton for 30 minutes before baking or something.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

therattle posted:

Pao de Queijo is a Brazilian tapioca flour roll with cheese in the middle. They sell it frozen at Target if you want to try it before committing. Really hard to go wrong with starch + cheese.

And seconding all the almond flour cookie love! Fantastic stuff there.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I bought some indian wholegrain flour because it was very cheap at the local indian grocer

It's a different beast and can absorb s-i-g-n-i-f-c-a-n-t-l-y more water than I was expecting

That being said, it makes na'ans and other flatbreads make sense

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I had a gluten-free girlfriend at one point and I managed to make gluten-free brownies using Xanthan gum, which seemed just like normal ones. Otherwise, she loved mexican restaurants, because of the tortillas being made from corn and that being the only bready thing on the menu. I realise that's not the same thing as celiac but I think it's the same restriction (no gluten) ?

edit: yeah and almond cookies made with almond flour are pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I tried to make GF pastry with a composite of suitable flowers and xantham gum and it was the most frustrating thing. You could roll it out ok, but when it came to pushing it into the molds it was like cardboard. I gave up and made like 80 mince pies out of sheer joy of things working like they should.