Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IĂŤÂ̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓gĂŤÂ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
No

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

this is the worst kind of discrimination!

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Like you have to be an actual artist making actual art but of course art is very subjective but if you're, like, an electronic producer you can probably apply for a grant to buy you a cool mixer or some poo poo

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

I don't know what perler art is but maybe, it can take a few hours to write up your proposal and provide samples of work and stuff so if it has some actual artistic merit and you don't think you're wasting your time go ahead.

I do know that sometimes they have more money to give out than applicants so they give it to literally everybody.

Imgur is being dumb and not letting me upload photos of the non-gift stuff I made, so here's a picture I stole from Chokes' Gold Box LP of a clock I made for them using perler beads (melty beads, whatever you want to call them) and a wood clock face.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

You just have to be able to explain and justify how you owning a cool mixer is an important contribution to Canada's standing in the art world

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I do know that sometimes they have more money to give out than applicants so they give it to literally everybody.

:thunk:
Thank you for this information. I'm feeling creative

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

You just have to be able to explain and justify how you owning a cool mixer is an important contribution to Canada's standing in the art world

I mean... I just like making pretty pictures out of stupidly tiny beads that get melted with an iron (and then either glued onto a canvas or with a few clear beads on the top to make a loop to hang it with). I dunno how that's an important contribution to the art world (... this is why you end up with more grants than applicants, isn't it). I guess my big concern is "what is expected of me and how long do I have to do it in" if I apply for a grant and it's approved.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Fashionable Jorts posted:

do poorly playtested tabletop wargame rules count as art?

What scale and time period are we talking about?

Please say WWII in 6 and/or 15mm.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Like you have to be an actual artist making actual art but of course art is very subjective but if you're, like, an electronic producer you can probably apply for a grant to buy you a cool mixer or some poo poo

time to throw a bunch of lovely metal tracks up on soundcloud and ask the government for a mesa boogie mark v

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Guest2553 posted:

The only acceptable conflict for an arts grant is The War of 1812, sorry

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Kazinsal posted:

time to throw a bunch of lovely metal tracks up on soundcloud and ask the government for a mesa boogie mark v

If you get it you have to use part of the grant to buy me a Matthew Lesko suit

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Rutibex posted:

The only acceptable conflict for an arts grant is The War of 1812, sorry

Most of the casualties in that fight were Indigenous, so yeah, checks out for Canadian interests.

Guest2553 posted:

28 because thats the minis i have to proxy with, and low-tech sci-fi

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
the Canadian media fund owns and your an idiot if u disagree

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Actually, just as a dumb question and because I dunno where else to inflictshow pictures of the stuff I made... would anyone be interested in seeing stuff I made for friends and family (and one thing for myself)?

...At some point I might actually do a thread in the creative board for bead art, it actually isn't hard... just very time consuming.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

DariusLikewise posted:

the Canadian media fund owns and your an idiot if u disagree

For reals. People that say cancon sucks need to turn off the radio and stop watching CBC sitcoms. If that's the sum of your exposure to Canadian artists then no wonder you think it's all terrible.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

EvilJoven posted:

stop watching CBC sitcoms

I like the one where a French guy and another guy make jokes to eachother and none of the jokes are ever funny and it's extremely poorly written though

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

the 90s canadian rock that survived the 90s intact is actually good, you will not change my view on this

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Kazinsal posted:

the 90s canadian rock that survived the 90s intact is actually good, you will not change my view on this

Actually, Nickelback sucks

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Actually, Nickelback sucks

blasphemy. everything but dark horse and here and now are good albums

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
lmao.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Gonna apply for a grant for a thesis on the cultural significance of Treble Charger's "American Psycho"

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

You can't use creation grant money for capital expenses. You could buy that mixer and then apply to get 6 months off work being paid to make something on it though. If you get a grant you have to produce something substantial, you can't just go buy something.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Most of the casualties in that fight were Indigenous, so yeah, checks out for Canadian interests.

In the sense that between British-Canadian betrayal and American conquest they lost their political objectives which hugely curtailed their sovereignty, yeah.

But if you mean in literal combat/civilian casualties they're at the lower end of the estimates. Both because they had smaller pop to begin with and because indigenous warfare was generally in the bushwack/raid style, as opposed to the 'form square out in the open to absorb direct fire until one side cracks or runs out of grape shot' kind of lunacy.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Virtual Russian posted:

You can't use creation grant money for capital expenses

Sure

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Is Air Farce still on? I imagine all the original people must be dead

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Roger Abbott died about 10 years ago.

They came back with a new year's special for a few years after the TV show was cancelled but I think someone put that thing out of its misery in 2017? 16? The TV show was mostly dreadful, but the radio bit was solid

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

https://twitter.com/CANADALAND/status/1390471505834823684

lol

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
wait i thought those people were all about free market and capitalism and getting rid of regulations that strangle business? seems to me like they should just take their business to another payment processor or show some initiative and start their own. or maybe don't violate the terms of service you agreed to in the first place and you won't have any trouble, hmm?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Pray for me; I read the comments

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
you did this to yourself, don't expect any sympathy

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
https://twitter.com/NoLore/status/1390495677898240003?s=19

those drat students, always partying and making the pandemic worse

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

I thought Toronto was following peel in closing down any outbreak sites.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

ghosthorse posted:

https://twitter.com/NoLore/status/1390495677898240003?s=19

those drat students, always partying and making the pandemic worse

Can't wait til they build one here and we start reaping benefits like this

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

These computer viruses are getting out of control! :dadjoke:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

EvilJoven posted:

For reals. People that say cancon sucks need to turn off the radio and stop watching CBC sitcoms. If that's the sum of your exposure to Canadian artists then no wonder you think it's all terrible.

its legitimately a good thing to put time and effort towards building a cultural identity even if it's fake and stupid, especially with the worlds largest exporter of dumb poo poo right below us

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

the grift continues. every couple of weeks he gins up another fundraising drive by crying about being cancelled somewhere, how much it's hurting their bottom line, and vowing to fight it, if you'll just help them with a few dollars.

it must be working, because he keeps doing it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

wait i thought those people were all about free market and capitalism and getting rid of regulations that strangle business? seems to me like they should just take their business to another payment processor or show some initiative and start their own. or maybe don't violate the terms of service you agreed to in the first place and you won't have any trouble, hmm?

it's a scam.

it's the same scam he's been doing for months because subscriptions aren't what they used to be and buddy's gotta eat, you know?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
is it really though? under normal circumstances it's all about getting money by telling right wingers exactly what they want to hear and how they're being oppressed by liberal marxist corporations, while this is getting money telling right wingers what they want to hear and that he's being oppressed by liberal marxist corporations

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yes. it's a scam in that he very likely hasn't been banned, cut-off, or deplatformed from anything. so in the sense that he's lying to drive donations, it's a scam.

if he has been, the timing is incredibly regular.

i have no idea why canadaland keeps reporting on it.

infernal machines has issued a correction as of 17:42 on May 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

is it really though? under normal circumstances it's all about getting money by telling right wingers exactly what they want to hear and how they're being oppressed by liberal marxist corporations, while this is getting money telling right wingers what they want to hear and that he's being oppressed by liberal marxist corporations

cashing in on Cancel Culture™ is the hot new business model