Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Criterion is doing 30% off for the rest of the month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

CPL593H posted:

Criterion is doing 30% off for the rest of the month.

gently caress

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
that what the bleep stuff rules, i used to wonder what happened to all of those people, turned out the director was conned into joining NXIVM

who could have guessed thinking that stuff was interesting would predispose you to being indoctrinated into a cult

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Managed to get my hands on a steelbook copy of Speed today. I am triumphant.

Seriously though I was a bit worried because Amazon has it as out of stock already.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

This is a weird question in general, but not for this thread:

My Arrow sale shipment from Grindhouse came in and three of the cases are blue. Some quick research is saying Arrow had some trouble sourcing their regular clear cases, which is what it is, but does anyone know a site where I can find clear replacements?

Arrow artwork looks super weird in a blue case.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Criterion sells replacement clear cases in their online store and I think they’re the same as the Arrow ones.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
https://www.casetopia.com/category_s/1477.htm

I've considered this place for replacing a 9-disc and 8-disc set... and POSSIBLY EVERY drat NEW CASE THAT HAS A lovely MIDDLE.

V annoyed that it seems like I've had a rash of cases where the middle spoke is like... a couple millimeters of depth short of actually catching the disc. So they fall right out when you open the case.

It's awful.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Biff Rockgroin posted:

This is a weird question in general, but not for this thread:

My Arrow sale shipment from Grindhouse came in and three of the cases are blue. Some quick research is saying Arrow had some trouble sourcing their regular clear cases, which is what it is, but does anyone know a site where I can find clear replacements?

Arrow artwork looks super weird in a blue case.

The usual supplier of the thick cases generally used by UK labels went out of business or something, so they had to switch. Some opted for Criterion Scanavos (Masters of Cinema) while Arrow had to use the blue cases. Indicator had to do the same on the non-limited editions.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I'm just... speechless. How does this place still exist?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9TSQmiYSGc

edit--> The website is exactly what I thought it would be.
http://www.videostation.net/index.html

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Lol they have a section of the site for CBD oil

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Boinks posted:

The website is exactly what I thought it would be.

oh god, the jingle...

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Boinks posted:

I'm glad he didn't waste time figuring out what he wanted to show and just started filming. It's super neat to watch him read signs and fumble around with a bunch of tapes, asking questions that he has no intent of answering.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Reminds me of Bull Moose in Maine

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Boinks posted:

This guy always cracks me up. His videos are mostly just 40 minutes of him stream-of-consciencing while he digs through piles of lovely looking DVDs and Blu-rays.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Boinks posted:

Tempted to check this place out next time I’m in Austin.

Or maybe just drive straight there since it’s only three hours away and what the hell else am I doing with my life this year?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Guarantee that place is being run by a couple with ocd in their 60s/70s.

We still had a crown jewel of time capsule mom n pop video stores around here about 9 years ago before they finally closed shop a year later. They had been open since the late 70s, and it looked like the decor hadn't changed since about 1988. Neon, CRT TVs on the ceiling playing old trailers, Predator standee greeting you when you walk in, and a huge selection of tapes/DVDs for rent. They had an entire room still dedicated to laserdisc. I asked if they had a particular movie and the owner handed me this comically huge book of everything they had. I found what I was looking for listed as a Betamax, and she confirmed they had a few thousand betamax tapes in the back. And of course, the prices for stuff actually for sale might have made sense in 1995. The whole thing was pretty surreal.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I found myself wondering if the people who own/work the store were concerned about the crazy person spending half an hour talking to himself or if they recognized what was happening and that its like the store's primary advertisement.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna share my sad story of the Lost Arrow Shipment. I've mentioned some of it on the CineD discord, but there's been new (or not) developments.

Arrow's Easter Sale.

On April 1st, I put in order directly on Arrow's website for three blu-ray box sets. The Hellraiser Trilogy, Camera Obscura: The Walerian Borowczyk Collection, and the Phantasm Box with Phantasm 1-5. All cool releases, each for a great price. I bought them partially for the Horror Bracketology thread and the May Horror Challenge threads.

On April 7th, they shipped the package with all three film sets. I tracked it across the UK until it landed in NYC on April 11th.

On April 15th, it finally made it to my state. But then it sat as In Transit until April 19th, when the tracking number stopped tracking. Fifteen days later, and it's never updated.

After the first week I put in with USPS that the package was lost or compromised, and informed Arrow that the package was lost or compromised. The last response I heard from Arrow was April 27th. So they've at least seen the issue and responded to me to confirm my information.

On April 29th, USPS confirmed that my package has been lost, but because it is a UK product from a UK company, USPS can't/won't do anything about it. It's up to Arrow and UKPS to fix it. I responded to my e-mails with Arrow with this updated information to confirm it was lost, and never got a response. I waited two days and submitted a new customer service e-mail with my order number and the confirmation that my package was lost, just in case they don't check replies to old e-mails.

Anyways, it's been a week since I heard from Arrow. Every day I check for an update, and I get nothing. So I'm out my money and I'm out my movies and I've wasted hours with USPS customer services. I really like Arrow, they've fixed my issues swiftly in the past, and I'd like to think that this is just a timing thing.

But it sucks. I've heard nothing, and now I can't help but hesitate to buy anything from them directly ever again, since I have to pay $25ish for shipping from them in the first place.

edit: I've thought about calling them, but it's calling international, and that seems like another weird hurdle since I'm EST.

:negative:

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 4, 2021

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Daaaamn that sucks. I also ordered directly from Arrow for the easter sale and similar to you the tracking number just stopped tracking at a certain point. But my order randomly showed up last week.

Stay on Arrow's rear end about it.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

I would file a Paypal claim against Arrow and see if that changes anything. Worst case scenario is, you get your money back and Arrow bans you from buying anything from their website again.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

If I was rich enough and never had to work again, I would open a weirdo video store and use it to pass the time.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

About ten years ago, I walked into a non-chain dollar store and saw original 1982 Tron car air fresheners and stickers for sale, still in yellowed shrink-wrap, and I’ve regretted not buying them every day since then.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

If it helps we've just had a bank holiday weekend here in the UK so they probably only got back in the office today.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Vince MechMahon posted:

If I was rich enough and never had to work again, I would open a weirdo video store and use it to pass the time.

With a microcinema screening room, of course.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

I'm gonna share my sad story of the Lost Arrow Shipment. I've mentioned some of it on the CineD discord, but there's been new (or not) developments.

Arrow's Easter Sale.

On April 1st, I put in order directly on Arrow's website for three blu-ray box sets. The Hellraiser Trilogy, Camera Obscura: The Walerian Borowczyk Collection, and the Phantasm Box with Phantasm 1-5. All cool releases, each for a great price. I bought them partially for the Horror Bracketology thread and the May Horror Challenge threads.

On April 7th, they shipped the package with all three film sets. I tracked it across the UK until it landed in NYC on April 11th.

On April 15th, it finally made it to my state. But then it sat as In Transit until April 19th, when the tracking number stopped tracking. Fifteen days later, and it's never updated.

After the first week I put in with USPS that the package was lost or compromised, and informed Arrow that the package was lost or compromised. The last response I heard from Arrow was April 27th. So they've at least seen the issue and responded to me to confirm my information.

On April 29th, USPS confirmed that my package has been lost, but because it is a UK product from a UK company, USPS can't/won't do anything about it. It's up to Arrow and UKPS to fix it. I responded to my e-mails with Arrow with this updated information to confirm it was lost, and never got a response. I waited two days and submitted a new customer service e-mail with my order number and the confirmation that my package was lost, just in case they don't check replies to old e-mails.

Anyways, it's been a week since I heard from Arrow. Every day I check for an update, and I get nothing. So I'm out my money and I'm out my movies and I've wasted hours with USPS customer services. I really like Arrow, they've fixed my issues swiftly in the past, and I'd like to think that this is just a timing thing.

But it sucks. I've heard nothing, and now I can't help but hesitate to buy anything from them directly ever again, since I have to pay $25ish for shipping from them in the first place.

edit: I've thought about calling them, but it's calling international, and that seems like another weird hurdle since I'm EST.

:negative:

That sucks since I’ve hadn’t any problems with Arrow UK. Only time I had a UK shipment go missing was an Amazon UK order of some MoC discs (including Man with a Movie Camera) and they were relatively easy to deal with. Given that the UK is having to deal with Brexit bullshit on top of Covid restrictions, no idea how things are running. My Arrow UK order was just the King of New York and Crash UHDs, with zero issues.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
SecondSight confirms The Hitcher coming to Blu-ray:
https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1390325915264163844?s=19

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'd be curious to see a blu ray of The Hitcher because I thought it was pretty mediocre but I do think a proper blu ray might elevate it. I think I watched a pretty substandard version on Amazon Video or something like that.

Oh, and the fireball towards the end of Speed when the bus hits the plane is one of the best things yet to come out of the UHD format.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 6, 2021

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
I like watching movies with commentary tracks if they have them, but I'm kind of annoyed when some films in a series have commentaries and others don't. Most recently noticed this with the John Wick movies, the first 2 have commentaries but the 3rd one doesn't even though Chad Stahelski directed all 3 and Keanu Reeves starred in all 3. Why wouldn't they just record a commentary? Doesn't seem like that much extra work.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Hirsute posted:

I like watching movies with commentary tracks if they have them, but I'm kind of annoyed when some films in a series have commentaries and others don't. Most recently noticed this with the John Wick movies, the first 2 have commentaries but the 3rd one doesn't even though Chad Stahelski directed all 3 and Keanu Reeves starred in all 3. Why wouldn't they just record a commentary? Doesn't seem like that much extra work.

Probably it was an issue of both of them finding a time in their schedules to meet up and do it before the home video release.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The John Wick 3 blu ray came out in September 2019 and Keanu was filming Bill and Ted that whole summer so that could've been the issue.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Hirsute posted:

I was disappointed that Shout's SE BR of Escape from L.A. didn't have a Carpenter/Russell commentary. :(

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Davros1 posted:

I was disappointed that Shout's SE BR of Escape from L.A. didn't have a Carpenter/Russell commentary. :(

Yeah, the commentary on "The Thing" is great.

"There's Wilford Brimley..."

"Yeah, he's a long way from those oatmeal commercials... :lol:"

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

VoodooXT posted:

Well now I know I have to listen to it. Is it on the Shout! Blu? I have the older one too.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

VoodooXT posted:

The SE of Escape from New York includes commentary on the excised first reel, and at one point in it, Snake leaps over a turnstile, and Kurt says "Can't do that anyone."

Then there's the Big Trouble in Little China where the spend half the time talking about Kurt's kid playing hockey, so much so that at one point Kurt's like "I guess we should talk about the movie."

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Now Kurt’s kid doesn’t play hockey anymore.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Casimir Radon posted:

Well now I know I have to listen to it. Is it on the Shout! Blu? I have the older one too.

It's on the Shout Blu so enjoy.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

VoodooXT posted:

It's been years since I watched with the commentary, but The Rules of Attraction DVD has a random commentary with Carrot Top. He had absolutely nothing to do with the movie, and had never seen the movie before recording the commentary. I remember though, not even being a fan of his, being shocked at how funny his commentary was. That was also almost 20 years ago.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Yeah the Rules of Attraction Carrot Top commentary is legendary. His genuine shock and confusion at some of the scenes is hilarious.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Casimir Radon posted:

Now Kurt’s kid doesn’t play hockey anymore.

I've *just* watched Goon 2 so this made me do a double take

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The Escape from New York commentary features several instances of Russell and Carpenter pointing out how hot the other's ex-wives are (both are in the movie). It's great.