Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Alan Moor is gonna write a five volume fantasy series that depicts an alternate reconstruction of post-WW2 London

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gripweed posted:

Alan Moor is gonna write a five volume fantasy series that depicts an alternate reconstruction of post-WW2 London

How many of the female characters will be pre teens he over sexualizes?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Rhyno posted:

How many of the female characters will be pre teens he over sexualizes?

the article didn't say. Was that a problem with Jerusalem? I've only read Moore's comics, I don't know how how he is as a novelist

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Reading some old comics, I came across this ad for the millionth time:

(here's another version)

and it occurred to me that despite that ad's ubiquity, I'd never actually seen the lessons therein. I did a little looking around and by god, that company (which appears to be just one person) is still around and selling how-to-draw books in 2021.

https://drawsupercharacters.com/gallery-of-books/

They're certainly something.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Every image on the How to Draw Human Heads cover is misshapen in the same way, even the skull and the one drawn in profile.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

John Paul Leon dying is really bumming me out.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Watching the movie Neon Maniacs from 1986, and I’m amazed to see someone in a Mister Miracle Halloween costume.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Question about a CGC book - a comic I got has a sort of pressure splotch in the center, from where the book is pressed, and moves if you push on it. It is kind of noticeable, but does this detract from its value? It wasn't apparent in the eBay listing, and I don't want to nitpick, but I don't want to be the bagholder if I try to re-sell it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Vulpes is writing the Iron Man annual this year, it's part of a crossover kinda it looks like between annuals.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
How is iron man not a villain considering he doesn’t give his free energy away to the world

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Tabletops posted:

How is iron man not a villain considering he doesn’t give his free energy away to the world

Wakanda has a cure for cancer they don't share with the rest of the world.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Skwirl posted:

That’s loving evil

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Tabletops posted:

That’s loving evil

people don't talk about reggie hudlin's black panther run in nice terms for a reason

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Tabletops posted:

He is.

It comes up from time to time here, but superhero comics have a real problem where any world with people and technology in it like they have should be unrecognizable. An ongoing series, however, can't follow the implications of this stuff to their logical conclusion because if you do then the heroes are monsters. And when they do try to pick at these things, it usually makes it worse by drawing attention to these problems. For the sake of having something familiar to the reader, they gloss over those things.

There are plenty of other comics that do poke at how hosed up the morality of big two superhero comics is. They can't do it, though. At least, not well.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That's why I'm interested in knockoff superhero settings because they usually are more willing to have society totally transformed by the existence of supertech, aliens, etc. Even if they're not super well written and the characters mostly feel like k-mart versions of known superheroes, they're free to explore what it would mean for society if there really was a superman or an iron man or dimensional portals. Instead of having new york be exactly the loving same and people being more concerned about the loving mets and immigration than Galactus existing.

Do you have any idea how much Galactus existing would gently caress up society.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

clearly you've never been to new york

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Supervillains actually existing would be a pretty big deal. I mean, my god, can you image what America would be like if every day there was another news story about a deranged man committing indiscriminate violence in public?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

That's why I'm interested in knockoff superhero settings because they usually are more willing to have society totally transformed by the existence of supertech, aliens, etc. Even if they're not super well written and the characters mostly feel like k-mart versions of known superheroes, they're free to explore what it would mean for society if there really was a superman or an iron man or dimensional portals. Instead of having new york be exactly the loving same and people being more concerned about the loving mets and immigration than Galactus existing.

Do you have any idea how much Galactus existing would gently caress up society.

Lay off the Mets

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Skwirl posted:

There was an old FF comic that claimed Reed was paid off by the big companies who'd be out of business if he released his inventions to the world.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Angry Salami posted:

There was an old FF comic that claimed Reed was paid off by the big companies who'd be out of business if he released his inventions to the world.

That's at least realistic but makes Mr Fantastic even more of a monster for taking money over helping humanity, doesn't it?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

A Strange Aeon posted:

That's at least realistic but makes Mr Fantastic even more of a monster for taking money over helping humanity, doesn't it?

Yes, yes it does.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

It’s such a weird thing to me because, from a narrative perspective, why not say Reed Richards and T’Challa cured cancer? There’s hardly a good reason in-universe that cancer has to be a thing that still exists. (Mar-vell’s death aside.) Trans-dimensional travel is fine, but curing cancer is a bridge too far in terms of realism?

I’ve always felt that Stan Lee’s idea of “the real world” was based more on superheroes behaving like real people than making sure the telephones worked the same way as ours. So yeah, it’s totally fine to me if everyone in Marvel has a StarkPhone that lets them call a parallel universe, so long as Hawkeye’s still a dickhead.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The idea of the Marvel world being mostly like ours but with a couple weird things in it is deeply anchored into editorial policy going back decades. It's why the Marvel public at large constantly comes across like the dumbest, most ungrateful people in the world because they're always complaining about realistic mundane problems and get mad at superheroes for interfering with traffic or whatever even though the earth is nearly destroyed by aliens 200 times a month.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Splint Chesthair posted:

It’s such a weird thing to me because, from a narrative perspective, why not say Reed Richards and T’Challa cured cancer? There’s hardly a good reason in-universe that cancer has to be a thing that still exists. (Mar-vell’s death aside.) Trans-dimensional travel is fine, but curing cancer is a bridge too far in terms of realism?

I think a case in point is how over a year ago the X-books made a big plot point out of miracle medicine being distributed to most of the nations on Earth, curing a whole host of diseases and conditions, and it has absolutely not derailed the rest of the Marvel line because most Marvel books aren't about that stuff. They made that small leap of "this world is now markedly different from the real world in such and such a way" and it went fine. I really liked that.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

How Wonderful! posted:

I think a case in point is how over a year ago the X-books made a big plot point out of miracle medicine being distributed to most of the nations on Earth, curing a whole host of diseases and conditions, and it has absolutely not derailed the rest of the Marvel line because most Marvel books aren't about that stuff. They made that small leap of "this world is now markedly different from the real world in such and such a way" and it went fine. I really liked that.

It isn’t much different in my mind from early Iron Man comics constantly saying, “I can do this now, thanks to TRANSISTORS!” The difference might be that society has moved out of Jet Age optimism into climate anxiety or whatever defines today’s doom-centric attitudes.

Silver Age comics were no different than Popular Mechanics articles from the same time about the moon cities of 1995 or whatever. I think the attitude today is much more cynical, so the idea of a superhero doing anything beyond enforcing the status quo is seen as infantile.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

comic book writers like to use cancer as a shortcut to "here's a problem the hero can't possibly solve, a *real world* problem!" even though the hero has previously established that he can manufacture pants that can change shape, turn invisible, and be on fire basically on a whim. it always feels cheap when they try to go for pathos by having a little kid be like "but you can save my mommy" just to have Reed Richards rationally explain that there's some things even he can't fix, six issues after he cured Inhuman Terrigen Necrosis and ten before he cures Kree Lunar Cell Degradation, since those are space ailments/plot points and therefore outside the Marvel "world outside your window" purview

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

How Wonderful! posted:

It felt like Hickman carefully chose things which would be meaningful in a real-world sense but which wouldn't have to matter for plot purposes. The most relevant for stories would be the drug that "cured diseases of the mind (in humans)" but that's so vague it's easy to write around.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

A Strange Aeon posted:

Except it's not realistic. People don't pay to suppress inventions, especially ones where there are public disclosures on how to recreate them (that's what a patent is). If there was something as revolutionary are what Reed works out on the toilet, companies would be tripping over themselves to make all the money in the world by using it. If it would make you go out of business, you don't suppress it, you buy it and put all of your competitors out of business.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

How Wonderful! posted:

Tbh i haven't seen a single book acknowledge that that's even a thing

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i just think you're all really underestimating how hard it is to cure cancer

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

The idea of the Marvel world being mostly like ours but with a couple weird things in it is deeply anchored into editorial policy going back decades. It's why the Marvel public at large constantly comes across like the dumbest, most ungrateful people in the world because they're always complaining about realistic mundane problems and get mad at superheroes for interfering with traffic or whatever even though the earth is nearly destroyed by aliens 200 times a month.

Oh god, that issue with Sam Nova where his teacher doesn't believe in aliens that happened like 2 weeks after Infinity.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

Tbh i haven't seen a single book acknowledge that that's even a thing

Yeah, I've seen references to Krakoa being a thing in other books, but no direct references to their medicine outside of the X-books.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

Except it's not realistic. People don't pay to suppress inventions.

Supression of knowledge or inventions happen all the time. With money or violence. Why do you think the public knowledge that cigarretes are very bad for you took so long to take hold? Same with led in paint. Same with different types of energy.

It's the same thing when a small company makes a better product than a multinational, it gets bought up and then dissolved, THEN, years after the fact, the big company "comes up" with the "new and improved Product".

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Splint Chesthair posted:

I’ve always felt that Stan Lee’s idea of “the real world” was based more on superheroes behaving like real people than making sure the telephones worked the same way as ours. So yeah, it’s totally fine to me if everyone in Marvel has a StarkPhone that lets them call a parallel universe, so long as Hawkeye’s still a dickhead.

This is why Astro City is so good

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
was just reading a black widow story where she comes across this kid who had their arms cut off and she just calls up tony stark for some super prosthetics and it makes me wonder if the stark foundation does indeed just hand out free replacement limbs, because that would be a huge fuckin deal i would think

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

site posted:

was just reading a black widow story where she comes across this kid who had their arms cut off and she just calls up tony stark for some super prosthetics and it makes me wonder if the stark foundation does indeed just hand out free replacement limbs, because that would be a huge fuckin deal i would think

Yeah, Tony has been providing robot limbs for people for years but it is one of those things that doesn't come up too much since it makes things too sci-fi to have a bunch of people with robot limbs running around.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Pretty sure that's why Misty Knight has two arms.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I thought misty got hers because she knew someone who knows Tony

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

This is why Astro City is so good

Definitely not the only reason, but yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

People who actually work in comic shops, this is loving psychotic, right?

https://twitter.com/perpetua/status/1391042897768816641?s=19