Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Johnny Bravo posted:

I didn't know until today that Pujols only racked up 5.7 fWAR over his entire Angels career (1181 games) which seems insane to me. Like I knew he was really bad since 2017 or so, and not very good for the 5 years before that, but 5.7 fWAR in nearly 1200 games really hammered home how awful that contract was.

Teams always eat poo poo on the back end of huge contracts. The Angels surely expected that. But they couldn't have known he was going to be poo poo the second he put on the uniform.

edit: looked it up and he had an ops+ of 113 as late as 2016. Since then has been brutal, though.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

There is only one enduring image I associate with Albert Pujols

Still the most amazing thing I've witnessed live.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Super Jay Mann posted:

Cards youtube account put up a pretty cool video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuB3HgM9LMw

Video of the home run that you've seen 100 times, but then loops through the entire sequence from what seems to be every camera angle.

Cool to see other shots from the same moments.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

abelwingnut posted:

i remember that day when he signed. i think it was at the winter talks, possibly shortly after. we knew something was about to happen, and almost everyone that morning thought he was going to re-sign with stl. and then anaheim came out of loving nowhere.

there was some other team rumored to be in on him. miami? like he was going to be miami's way of getting latino fans back to the stadium? i think columnists also had sf wanting him?

that was a weird and blessed day.

I bet it feels nice to be able to escape from Pujols

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Pujols declined because Trout is a talent vampire. He fed on Vernon Wells before Pujols got there. Hamilton is another of his victims. With Pujols gone Ohtani better watch out. :drac:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Super Jay Mann posted:

This is the moment where I first learned the agony of October baseball

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Chamale posted:

He's been playing in constant pain since 2013. He's said it hurts to walk or put on his shoes, but it especially hurts to step into a swing or run. I remember when I was a kid I did the math on his 40 home runs per season and figured he could break the home run record if he played for twenty years. Makes you think how lucky you have to be to be an all-time great.

Yeah, plantar fasciitis is a degenerative disease: It does not get better over time, it gets worse, especially as you continue to put stress on the plantar fascia. I mean, that's the same condition that ultimately derailed Donovan McNabb and put a premature end to his career.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Timby posted:

Yeah, plantar fasciitis is a degenerative disease: It does not get better over time, it gets worse, especially as you continue to put stress on the plantar fascia. I mean, that's the same condition that ultimately derailed Donovan McNabb and put a premature end to his career.

did a number on jo noah as well

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

No one who isn't an Astros fan could probably tell you without having to stop and think about it for a bit that the Astros won this series

Lidge's next appearance was giving up a walkoff dong to Scott freakin' Podsednick. He was a broken man

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
When Brandon Podsednik hits a home run, you know that was a good pitching play.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Intruder posted:

Lidge's next appearance was giving up a walkoff dong to Scott freakin' Podsednick. He was a broken man

Scott Podsenik was such a strange player. I remember the year after his rookie year, he somehow ripped 12 dingers out of nowhere while stealing like 70 bases, and then in 2005 (the year he had that walk-off on Lidge) he didn't hit a single home run during the regular season.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Timby posted:

For an embarrassingly long time I thought plantar fasciitis was the same thing as plantar warts. Except I always spelled and pronounced it "planter's warts" in my head.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Holy poo poo former #1 overall pick Mark Appel is trying to make a comeback.

https://www.readingeagle.com/sports...951a8a579a.html

He's going to be starting Saturday in AA.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Super Jay Mann posted:

That ball still hasn't de-orbited.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Timby posted:

Scott Podsenik was such a strange player. I remember the year after his rookie year, he somehow ripped 12 dingers out of nowhere while stealing like 70 bases, and then in 2005 (the year he had that walk-off on Lidge) he didn't hit a single home run during the regular season.

50% of his career homeruns came in 2003 and 2004

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

seiferguy posted:

Pujols has hit so poorly in his last few years his career average dropped below .300. He hasn't had an OPS over .800 since 2012. He's been cooked for awhile.

Mickey Mantle and Pujols can hang out at .298 together.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

mentholmoose posted:

Holy poo poo former #1 overall pick Mark Appel is trying to make a comeback.

https://www.readingeagle.com/sports...951a8a579a.html

He's going to be starting Saturday in AA.

drat, he was a beast at Stanford and I was always disappointed his arm just kept on getting hurt in the minors, he could have been something. Obviously the chances of magically returning and putting it together at 29 and with three years out of baseball, but I'll be rooting for him.

Intruder posted:

50% of his career homeruns came in 2003 and 2004

Yeah, and I remember him always having an ability to stick a screwdriver up the Cubs' rear end.

Edit: Lol, he stole nine bases against the Cubs alone in 2004. Which stands to reason, because Michael Barrett couldn't throw out a runner to save his life.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

The collapse of the Twins is truly frustrating. The runner-on really fucks with inconsistent bullpens. And like, yeah, having an inconsistent bullpen is going to bite you in the rear end regardless, it just seems that much worse when your team specifically seems to be on the losing end of a pointless rule change.

It doesn't help that half our lineup is hitting like dogshit or worse, our absolute stars can't stay healthy, and the defensive upgrade SS we got seems to be underwhelming on top of being a covidiot.

It just seems like some kind of universal fuckery that is like some kind of karmic reverse of Even Year Bullshit. It's like watching the Cubs implode without the glee.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

rickiep00h posted:

the defensive upgrade SS we got seems to be underwhelming on top of being a covidiot.

oh no Simba, why you do this :smith:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Johnny Bravo posted:

I didn't know until today that Pujols only racked up 5.7 fWAR over his entire Angels career (1181 games) which seems insane to me. Like I knew he was really bad since 2017 or so, and not very good for the 5 years before that, but 5.7 fWAR in nearly 1200 games really hammered home how awful that contract was.

Compare that to the 81.2 fWAR he racked up in 1700 games with the Cardinals.

Super Jay Mann posted:

Brad Lidge was never the same after this moment. It completely broke him.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
As great a narrative as that is, didn't he go like 46 for 46 on saves just a couple years later when the Phillies won?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Brad Lidge was never the same after this moment. It completely broke him.

2008 worked out ok for him

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
N: The Astros have :qq:'d to MLB about opposing fans being too mean to them

https://twitter.com/JimmyTraina/status/1389933182741532687

V: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H47ow4_Cmk0

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Ah yes letting everyone know the taunting is getting to them will surely put a stop to it

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

https://youtu.be/V0rIco_X6kw

Baseball Bits did a good rundown of Lidge being broken and picking himself back up.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

they’re booing Greinke though, gotta focus your anger on the right people

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I mean, the Astros ended up winning that series...

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

seiferguy posted:

I mean, the Astros ended up winning that series...

The Astros got outscored by 6 in the world series and got swept

That's kind of insane to think about

e: to this day I will argue that Dye faked getting hit by that pitch :colbert:

Intruder fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 7, 2021

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
N: The Yankees seem to be bringing up Andujar today.

V: He can't possibly be worse than what they have now in LF.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Based upon how he's been since 2018...you sure about that?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I still can't watch highlights of games 6 and 7 in the 1991 World Series. I also try not to mention 1992 to Pirates fans because I understand.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, why would you throw Andujar into LF right now instead of just replacing Mike Ford with him at 1B or 3B? Also Gio just got hurt. I know Voit's coming down the line soon as well but deal with that when it comes. By then Andujar might have played himself out of a starting spot or gotten hurt again.

Sydin posted:

N: The Astros have :qq:'d to MLB about opposing fans being too mean to them

https://twitter.com/JimmyTraina/status/1389933182741532687

V: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H47ow4_Cmk0

The Astros are such shitheads and it brings me a lot of joy that Jose Altuve will be hearing those chants the rest of his career.

Those assholes denied us Oscar the Grouch because they cried to the principle. Man, gently caress the Astros and gently caress MLB.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Can you imagine any other sport where a team's FO complains that opposing fans are being too mean? Lmao come on.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

if u bang the cans, you take the booing like a mans

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

mcmagic posted:

I’m sure you won’t make it more than a few days without making GBS threads on him.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I wonder if "banging cans" will one day transform into a phrase to mean "he's in the zone" for a hitter.

Like he's gotta be cheating he's hitting so well.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, why would you throw Andujar into LF right now instead of just replacing Mike Ford with him at 1B or 3B? Also Gio just got hurt. I know Voit's coming down the line soon as well but deal with that when it comes. By then Andujar might have played himself out of a starting spot or gotten hurt again.
Because I think Andujar is less awful in LF than he is at 3B or 1B.

RCarr posted:

I’m sure you won’t make it more than a few days without making GBS threads on him.

Is it making GBS threads on players that are playing bad to say they are playing bad? I mean there is a reason the Yankees are like 22nd or something in OPS in the majors.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 7, 2021

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Can Andujar even still hit? Last time he was playing he never saw a pitch he wouldn't swing at

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I wonder if "banging cans" will one day transform into a phrase to mean "he's in the zone" for a hitter.

Like he's gotta be cheating he's hitting so well.

I feel like the Astros are really doing everything they can to make sure that kind of terminology stays forever linked to them and no one else.

Imagine if the Astros and Yankees played 19 times a year?

Nodoze posted:

Can Andujar even still hit? Last time he was playing he never saw a pitch he wouldn't swing at

Eh, he's had like 100 combined ABs the last 2 years. I dunno if he's ever gonna figure out the league figuring him out but I'm not gonna write him off over that. Especially when the Yankees lineup isn't exactly without holes and a guys like Ford and Odor in it. Maybe Andujar will be relief, maybe he won't but burying him prematurely seems silly and defeatist.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Nodoze posted:

I'm fine throwing him against the wall and seeing if he sticks. Especially in the context of them signing awful players like Odor and playing him every day.