Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

schmug
May 20, 2007

lmao

jesus what a snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Tip posted:

I think I can beat that, a picture I took a couple years ago:

I wish like hell I'd taken a picture of Bubba's Bail Bonds and Tacos in my hometown. They didn't last very long, but by all reports the food were pretty good.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Hasturtium posted:

I wish like hell I'd taken a picture of Bubba's Bail Bonds and Tacos in my hometown. They didn't last very long, but by all reports the food were pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPkMUU9tUqk

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
More Americana: In Greensburg, IN, there's a barber shop / gun shop called Wagner's (532 W Sheridan St, Greensburg, IN 47240). Right across the street is Patterson's Auto Sales and Guns (714 N Michigan Ave, Greensburg, IN 47240). I saw them when I was there for business travel, it was amazing.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

SirPablo posted:

Think how many tourist traps like this exist across America.

I love these types of places.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

uber_stoat posted:

turns out he's actually a Jewish guy from New Jersey.

Ya know, that really figures

Lmao. Pork rind and BBQ chip 'nachos'. Close the thread because this is it, peak americana

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

uber_stoat posted:

there was this tex mex buffet called Pancho's that my family went to a lot when i was a kid. place closed many years ago but i guess there's still a few locations dying a slow lingering death in Texas. i cannot find a picture of this so i may have dreamed it but the centerpiece of their dining room was this enormous bust of a stereotypical mustachioed Mexican man wearing a sombrero, his huge mouth gaping open in a silent scream. within his mouth you could find complimentary after-dinner mints. there were little Mexican flags you could raise on a tiny flagpole at the tables which could be used to summon the wait staff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-m-exonLSg

I will raise you one Casa Bonita in Denver CO. Yes, it is (still) absolutely like you saw in South Park (also the 1980's). I guess there is (was) one in OK too, but lol why the gently caress would you ever go to OK?

The flag is now ALSO for service... back in the day, it was only for MOAR SOPAPILLAS!

The food is all ordered as you come in, cafeteria-but-by-order style... It looks eerily similar to your Pancho's food.

During Halloween, the place is INSANE with kids in costume and they have staff in costume running the arcades, shops, and BLACK BART'S CAVE. Ngl, it was awesome to go there as a kid in 3rd/4th grade.

As an adult with shortys of my own and fam still in Denver, every visit out there we make it a point to subject our bowls to the irreparable damage of their food and lovely drinks for the sake of the little ones. Good times.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Food looks awful, restaurant looks awesome

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Casa Bonita is closed and has filed for bankruptcy

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Bonzo posted:

killed by covid, sucks. Pancho's was a dim echo of Casa Bonita. i only ever knew Casa Bonita from a distance, from South Park and accounts like armchairyoda's. i hope they manage to reopen one day so i can experience it in person. seems there's an effort being made to save the place.

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/casa-bonita-super-fans-rally-in-support-of-colorado-landmarks-future

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
yea a place that you get the cold or flu outside of a pandemic won’t last long during one haha

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
I went to Casa Bonita once as a kid. It was awesome.

One of the worst after effects of covid is the decimation of independent restaurants. The chains are going to be even stronger and deeper entrenched after all of this bullshit.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

There's five Panchos left, three in Dallas and two in Houston. Two separate former franchisees apparently. The guy that owns the Houston Panchos runs a Groupon that knocks down the price to like $5.50 a person. I actually went there once before Covid. Looks exactly like it did in the 80s. Food still sucks except for the sopapillas.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 6, 2021

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

uber_stoat posted:

killed by covid, sucks. Pancho's was a dim echo of Casa Bonita. i only ever knew Casa Bonita from a distance, from South Park and accounts like armchairyoda's. i hope they manage to reopen one day so i can experience it in person. seems there's an effort being made to save the place.

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/casa-bonita-super-fans-rally-in-support-of-colorado-landmarks-future

ah, had no idea (but not shocked.) I've been going every few years since I was like 12, was hoping to check it out again when things reopened. the last time I was there was probably like 7ish years ago and they still had a VCR playing a little promo tape that was probably shot in 1985.

but yeah, it's a legitimate good time. and yes, the food was pretty bad outside the sopapillas.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

dirty shrimp money posted:

There's five Panchos left, three in Dallas and two in Houston. Two separate former franchisees apparently. The guy that owns the Houston Panchos runs a Groupon that knocks down the price to like $5.50 a person. I actually went there once before Covid. Looks exactly like it did in the 80s. Food still sucks except for the sopapillas.

Ah, Pancho's. The corporate body itself dissolved as a result of the financial crisis of 2008, but a dwindling handful of franchisees have kept carrying the torch since. If you want to gorge on flan that tastes like caramel-flavored snot, that place is your Valhalla.

Hasturtium fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 6, 2021

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Anyone remember this?

It was a movie length commercial for Glad garbage bags (similar to Mac & Me with McDonalds).

Also, a stunt person died filming it.

On the other hand, I always thought Rich Hall was funny.

You know a movie is of exceptional quality when Eddie Deezen gets top billing. I feel terrible for a person who died in the process of making a trash bag funded Eddie Deezen vehicle.

Rich Hall is very funny and is always solid on any of the four hundred BBC panel shows he appears/has appeared on.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

That's what I say when I'm taking a piss at the stadium.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Rich Hall is very funny and is always solid on any of the four hundred BBC panel shows he appears/has appeared on.

Rich Hall was big in the 80s because of Sniglets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TixwF_ywN4A

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 6, 2021

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Chief McHeath posted:

That's what I say when I'm taking a piss at the stadium.

Pfft. Not even circular so you can look each other in the eye? Amateur hour. Try Fenway pre-2013

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Yeah, he was also on Not Necessarily the News on HBO. I loved that show when I was a kid.

He did a really funny fake documentary called "Vanishing America" during the 80's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH_oeGWjsMs

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Play posted:

It's definitely still there, I know that street it's relatively close to downtown Oakland. Lotta crack and heroin around those parts these days

Hahahahahaha, no. Oakland is extremely gentrified and that even close to where you would go to buy drugs.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

doctorfrog posted:

Reminds me of terrible movie Rat Race
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOEwupQsjMo

Which reminds me of great movie Mad Mad Mad Mad World. Perhaps it would be a stretch to declare these movies as showcases of Americana, but they certainly are wacky American highway road trip movie things.

This movie, or at least this bit, loving owns. What's with the look, though? Looks like a camcorder shot it

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I went to Casa Bonita once as a kid. It was awesome.

One of the worst after effects of covid is the decimation of independent restaurants. The chains are going to be even stronger and deeper entrenched after all of this bullshit.

Yup. Chain everything from sea to plastic sea is the future

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'm super surprised at the lack of folding over at the nearest gentrified commercial road. Before coronavirus there was a definite churn of the 1/4 restaurant failures a year and beside a couple storied places everything is less than 3 years old. The only place that shut down was a Thai restaurant where the owner was already gonna retire and needing to convert to outdoors or takeaway was the last straw. All the newer places seem to be making out.

It probably helps we can do year round outdoor seating and nobody actually gave a gently caress about coronavirus anyway.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Gonna guess florida

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
yeah, a lot of small restaurants here just set up tables outside and seem to be doing fine but when you're Casa Bonita, your whole raison d'etre can't simply be moved out into the parking lot.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

JFC

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yup. Chain everything from sea to plastic sea is the future

Many, many road trips through the MidWest I've asked my wife, "How hungry are you? Do you want to stop at this $Chain or wait another 20 miles and stop at that one?"

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Milo and POTUS posted:

This movie, or at least this bit, loving owns. What's with the look, though? Looks like a camcorder shot it

I have to admit, I laughed when I posted it. And I’m a fan of both Najimy and Lovitz. I was a teenager when this came out though and I can’t see it as anything other than lame.

The camcorder thing might be a feature of the blu Ray. More frames is better frames!

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

It's stupid and funny, and has about a million famous people in it

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Bonzo posted:

:ohdear:
goddammit.

uber_stoat posted:

:shepspends:

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
Finally caught up to this thread and drat so many of these scenes look so familiar it's kinda scary.

Also I'm very disappointed that route 66 chat earlier didn't mention the drat steak 'n' shake on the national register of historic places:

(It's above average for a steak'n'shake, actually)

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

what happened to dairy queen is one of America's greatest shames

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

hawowanlawow posted:

what happened to dairy queen is one of America's greatest shames

What happened to dairy queen is basically nothing for forty years

It's definely the least consistent chain I'm aware of, with the lowest standards for franchisees

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

A&W and Tasty-Freeze are also contenders for the prestigious "Lowest Standards for Franchisees" award (aka Lowees).

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

The Bloop posted:

What happened to dairy queen is basically nothing for forty years

It's definely the least consistent chain I'm aware of, with the lowest standards for franchisees

A big shiny new Dairy Queen opened here about six month ago. I haven't eat in one in probably a decade so we went to try it out. Mediocre in every way. It's like a more expensive and shittier Sonic or Braums. Why do people eat there?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lawlicaust posted:

A big shiny new Dairy Queen opened here about six month ago. I haven't eat in one in probably a decade so we went to try it out. Mediocre in every way. It's like a more expensive and shittier Sonic or Braums. Why do people eat there?

FUDGEY THE WHALE

I sometimes get a blizzard. They're fine. Tendies are ok, but but great.

Mostly because proximity

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
there was a dairy queen near me that had been there for as long as i can remember but within the last few years it closed down. since then a series of small indie restaurants have tried to occupy the space only to fail. it's like trying to build atop a cemetery, beware.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

uber_stoat posted:

there was a dairy queen near me that had been there for as long as i can remember but within the last few years it closed down. since then a series of small indie restaurants have tried to occupy the space only to fail. it's like trying to build atop a cemetery, beware.

that's how every small town dairy queen is, they clamped down on standardizing everything to be bad a few years back, so the good ones tanked and all that's left are the normal bad ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Hahahahahaha, no. Oakland is extremely gentrified and that even close to where you would go to buy drugs.

Do you live there or something?

It's possible that's not the house I'm thinking of, looks a lot like it though and I stayed nearby. This was about 6 or 7 years ago so perhaps that has changed but don't pretend you know about everything going on on a particular street, by its nature drug dealing is meant to be secret. Downtown area still has tons of that stuff and there are still homeless camps nearby. The suburbs of Oakland up in the hills are still more gentrified than the downtown-adjacent area, and a lot of those old houses have been turned into multiple cheap units, some extremely run down and sketchy.

So, maybe some stuff has changed recently but let's not pretend you would know everything that goes on there and discount things I've seen with my own eyes :shrug:

Relevant because open air drug markets and homeless camps outside brand new luxury apartment complexes is extremely Americana