Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

FBS posted:

Eichel and Laine should team up somewhere imo

I agree.

Domi+Korpisalo+2 1sts who says no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I'm not sure relying on Reinhart as a 2C is going to a winning play for Buffalo. His production is boosted due to extra PP time and a career high shooting percentage and his underlying numbers have him taking lots of chances but giving up a ton, too. He'd need an incredibly sheltered role to thrive which means either Eichel gets shutdown duties or they need to find a 3C in the Jordan Staal or Mikkael Backlund vein

In spite of his lingering rib injury, Eichel was playing a complete game this season and was the best defensively he’s ever been. If that continues he could be a future Selke candidate. The third center will either be Mittelstadt or Cozens, and they’re both smallish guys. If Cozens could get some bulk he could be a Patrice Bergeron type…? They actually have a lot of good centers right now, after having a center drought for years. They definitely need at least one more top-6 like I said before.

Also putting Skinner back with Eichel will boost his production again. He has been better under Granato but yeah this has been a bad season for him, for sure.

Also, let me put it on the record that I think that McCabe-Jokiharju and Dahlin-Borgen is a legit defensive core with room for growth and is they can stay healthy next season they will give the team a big boost. They should still try to get another legit defensive defenseman in the off-season so they have more depth. Samuelson and Bryson have had a rough time so far but with the right partner they could improve, I think.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Usually Buffalo fans wait until the end of October before declaring that year is their year, the relentless optimism because of a dead cat bounce at the end of the season is messing with my perception of time.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I remember having a very confident Sabres fan tell me in 2014 or 2015 or so that the Sabres were going to be surpassing the Bruins and making them their whipping boy "very soon" and sometimes I think about that and chuckle a little bit.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Koopa Kid posted:

Usually Buffalo fans wait until the end of October before declaring that year is their year, the relentless optimism because of a dead cat bounce at the end of the season is messing with my perception of time.

I’m only declaring what they need to do in the off-season and that their defensive core could be legit if they re-sign McCabe. I won’t have opinions or declarations until after the off-season when we see how the draft, expansion draft and free agency went.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I remember having a very confident Sabres fan tell me in 2014 or 2015 or so that the Sabres were going to be surpassing the Bruins and making them their whipping boy "very soon" and sometimes I think about that and chuckle a little bit.

That was before we knew just how awful the Pegulas were.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I actually think the Sabres should trade Eichel. Not because of any problems with his game, I just think if you do it before he goes public with another demand you may get more value, and he's made it clear he doesn't want to sit through another rebuild attempt. Call up a team who can deal from strength.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

whatis toxxed that around then.

rip whatis

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I actually think the Sabres should trade Eichel. Not because of any problems with his game, I just think if you do it before he goes public with another demand you may get more value, and he's made it clear he doesn't want to sit through another rebuild attempt. Call up a team who can deal from strength.

No he hasn’t, that’s all been conjecture. They’re not doing a total rebuild they’re like midway through a rebuild that’s stalled for years as they stay bad. They’re not in a position to blow everything up, if they did the Pegulas would get publicly executed. And they’d basically have to trade all of their assets and what would be the point? They have several players to build around right now they just need to be smart about it and they’ve just shot and missed a bunch of times in a row.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Koopa Kid posted:

Go back in time and you could have been talking about Leafs fans from 2005-2015. You Leafs guys were always thinking it was finally your year to break through and you were right... eventually(at least in the regular season). Sabres fans will be right eventually too.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I get that almost everyone wants to see Eichel move somewhere else but the odds of that happening are basically zero.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

th3t00t posted:

Go back in time and you could have been talking about Leafs fans from 2005-2015. You Leafs guys were always thinking it was finally your year to break through and you were right... eventually(at least in the regular season). Sabres fans will be right eventually too.

Oh no doubt, I'll fully accept getting dunked on if the Sabres make it happen. But to your comparison, the Leafs in that span didn't come close to this bad:

ThinkTank posted:

The Buffalo Sabres average finish over the last 8 years is 28th.

Buffalo's got a big hill to climb

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
the only solace I will get this year is watching Mike Smith eat absolute poo poo in the playoffs

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Koopa Kid posted:

Oh no doubt, I'll fully accept getting dunked on if the Sabres make it happen. But to your comparison, the Leafs in that span didn't come close to this bad:

Buffalo's got a big hill to climb
Very true.

As far as my "turn the corner", I just want to see them out of the basement and scoring lots of goals. I'd be thrilled next season with a 20th place finish in the league at like 85pts and 15th in GF. My expectations are low, but we've got to start somewhere.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://twitter.com/SamanthaJPell/status/1390675963990642693?s=20

Still no Ovi, he’s gonna be held till the playoffs at this point. What the hell is going on with Samsonov?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

https://twitter.com/SamanthaJPell/status/1390675963990642693?s=20

Still no Ovi, he’s gonna be held till the playoffs at this point. What the hell is going on with Samsonov?

https://twitter.com/SamanthaJPell/status/1390691255852617729?s=20

I guess they went out and partied a little too hard in New York.

Kuznetsov is good enough where he'll probably be back in as soon as he clears protocol, which should be soon since he already got COVID earlier this year.

Samsonov is going to be riding the pine until Vanecek screws up, which to be fair could be relatively soon as well.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Also Tom Wilson has made a miraculous recovery from his devastating upper body injury on Wednesday night and is in the lineup tonight.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Buffalo's gonna dig themselves out of the pit and into 9th-place mediocrity just in time for the Wright and Bedard drafts.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Hand Knit posted:

Buffalo's gonna dig themselves out of the pit and into 9th-place mediocrity just in time for the Wright and Bedard drafts.
Same thing we did for the Matthews draft.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mennoknight posted:

the only solace I will get this year is watching Mike Smith eat absolute poo poo in the playoffs

Not gonna happen!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Buddy, check this out

https://theathletic.com/2570617/202...g-season-at-38/

The Athletic posted:

Let’s start with the fact that the only other players to do what Smith is in the process of doing are either already enshrined in the Hockey Hall of Fame or will be soon.

Only five players in NHL history — going back to 1955-56, when save percentages were first recorded — at the age of 38 or above have posted a .920 save percentage while playing more than 25 games. Smith is at .925 through 29.

Mike Smith's a hall of famer now.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
My take on the Eichel situation:

1. Every team in the league wants an elite player like Eichel, including Buffalo.
2. Eichel has five more years on his contract, and a NMC starting in 2022.
3. The only way the Sabres captain would quit on the team and not even want to show up and play hockey is if they were so consistently terrible with no prospect for improvement that showing up to camp felt pointless, so basically where the Sabres are right now.
4. If Eichel isn't fully committed to the five remaining years on his contract, the team would have the most leverage to shop him around before the NMC kicks in and he could name his destination.
5. After a decade of missing the playoffs, missing on all but the highest draft picks, flubbing the rebuild and replacing GM Darcy Regier, hiring Pat LaFontaine as team president and having him quit after three months, bungling the rebuild and replacing GM Tim Murray, botching the rebuild and replacing GM Jason Botterill, firing their entire hockey ops staff, having the new regime appoint their seventh coach of the rebuild during a historic losing streak, and having their fanbase's rallying cry be Duane's rant on the radio... after all of that, if their franchise player publicly quits on them, it's going to be very difficult to get fans in the building, get players to sign there, or even prevent the team from falling into that mindset of the historical losing streak this year. This is a team that managed to get 302 people into the building when they reopened at 10% capacity.

It all comes down to whether or not Eichel believes the Sabres can turn it around soon, which I don't think anyone in the world believes.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

th3t00t posted:

I'm not going to trawl through 10 years of shitposts but I'm highly skeptical that anyone with a clue thought the Leafs were going to be anything other than perennial 9th seeds before they drafted MNM.

... although yes, there was certainly some irrational exuberance following the signing of 40-goal scorer Jason Blake, and the Phaneuf trade.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/samanthacp_/status/1390709323471360001

Look, you can body slam a guy on his head, but damnit if you attempt to do something similarish, well George Parros is comin for you buzz.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

eXXon posted:

I'm not going to trawl through 10 years of shitposts but I'm highly skeptical that anyone with a clue thought the Leafs were going to be anything other than perennial 9th seeds before they drafted MNM.

... although yes, there was certainly some irrational exuberance following the signing of 40-goal scorer Jason Blake, and the Phaneuf trade.

David Clarkson was the missing piece.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Admittedly I only watched the Sabres this year while they got swept in their season series with the Caps, but Eichel looked like a defeated dude to me. I hope for his sake he bucks the pressure to be a hockey robot and advocates for himself.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Watching the OLD TIME HOCKEY from Wednesday night again and how did Carl Hagelin draw the short straw to get sent out to throw hands in an almost-certain opening faceoff line brawl?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

rex rabidorum vires posted:

David Clarkson was the missing piece.

He took the subway to games, he was a man of the people. Leaf fans will love his meat and potatos, old school game, it's built for the playoffs.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

CBJSprague24 posted:

Watching the OLD TIME HOCKEY from Wednesday night again and how did Carl Hagelin draw the short straw to get sent out to throw hands in an almost-certain opening faceoff line brawl?

I think they just put their fourth lines out, I don't think anyone expected 5'9" Colin Blackwell to get his first NHL fight there.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Zodijackylite posted:

My take on the Eichel situation:

1. Every team in the league wants an elite player like Eichel, including Buffalo.
2. Eichel has five more years on his contract, and a NMC starting in 2022.
3. The only way the Sabres captain would quit on the team and not even want to show up and play hockey is if they were so consistently terrible with no prospect for improvement that showing up to camp felt pointless, so basically where the Sabres are right now.
4. If Eichel isn't fully committed to the five remaining years on his contract, the team would have the most leverage to shop him around before the NMC kicks in and he could name his destination.
5. After a decade of missing the playoffs, missing on all but the highest draft picks, flubbing the rebuild and replacing GM Darcy Regier, hiring Pat LaFontaine as team president and having him quit after three months, bungling the rebuild and replacing GM Tim Murray, botching the rebuild and replacing GM Jason Botterill, firing their entire hockey ops staff, having the new regime appoint their seventh coach of the rebuild during a historic losing streak, and having their fanbase's rallying cry be Duane's rant on the radio... after all of that, if their franchise player publicly quits on them, it's going to be very difficult to get fans in the building, get players to sign there, or even prevent the team from falling into that mindset of the historical losing streak this year. This is a team that managed to get 302 people into the building when they reopened at 10% capacity.

It all comes down to whether or not Eichel believes the Sabres can turn it around soon, which I don't think anyone in the world believes.

I think all of this is pretty much accurate, and that when the Pegulas finally do sell there's a serious risk it will be to someone who will want to move the team out of Buffalo.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I think it's important to remember that winning isn't the only consideration for players like Eichel. Obviously money comes into play too but even beyond that guys get comfortable in the city they live in and with the teammates they have. Most people don't like change. It's not an easy thing to do to go to a new team and a new city even if you know you're gonna have a way better chance at success there. And it gets even more complicated when you involve families and poo poo.

So for Eichel even if he isn't confident in the Sabres' ability to build around him he might still not be inclined to change up his whole living situation and all that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

On the other hand NHL players have been conditioned from the first time they touched ice to be competitive as gently caress and being stuck on a poorly managed team has got to really sting.

So I guess the takeaway is "it's complicated."

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Chad Sexington posted:

Admittedly I only watched the Sabres this year while they got swept in their season series with the Caps, but Eichel looked like a defeated dude to me. I hope for his sake he bucks the pressure to be a hockey robot and advocates for himself.

They beat the Capitals twice!!! And he looked defeated because he was playing hurt from the beginning of the season, he broke a rib while getting ready for the season which is why he couldn’t hit the net like he did last year. But the team was stupid about it and kept it hush hush, Ralph lied about it to the media and Jack went out of his way to contradict Ralph which ruled, it was a debacle. But I don’t think he legitimately wants to leave yet. Emphasis on yet.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

On the other hand NHL players have been conditioned from the first time they touched ice to be competitive as gently caress and being stuck on a poorly managed team has got to really sting.

So I guess the takeaway is "it's complicated."

This is counterbalanced by them simultaneously being told it's a privledge to play hockey and no one is above the team. McDavid stuck with the Oilers as they cratered with him in the lineup. Lemieux stuck with the Pens through those early garbage years. Tavares was skewered for exercising his free agent rights. Players are taught to keep their heads down and not cause a fuss. If you're losing, it's your fault for not working hard enough.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ESPN posted:

ARLINGTON, Va. -- Tom Wilson reached out to Artemi Panarin in the aftermath of the most talked about incident in hockey this week and says he is ready to move on from his latest controversy.

In his first interview since a scrum against the Rangers that left Panarin injured, led to a $5,000 fine and sparked a fight-filled rematch two nights later, the Washington Capitals forward said Friday he is good to go after an upper-body injury and glad the New York star is doing better.

"I'm feeling good," said Wilson, who appeared to have cuts on his right hand from a fight with Brendan Smith on Wednesday night. "I'm glad Panarin is doing well. He's better. I reached out to him, and that's really what matters right now."

Wilson drew the ire of much of the NHL for his role in a scrum Monday night that the Rangers said caused Panarin to miss the final three games of the regular season with a lower-body injury. He was fined $5,000 for roughing Pavel Buchnevich but did not receive any supplemental discipline from the league's department of player safety for throwing Panarin to the ice moments later -- a decision the Rangers protested and were fined $250,000 for saying disciplinary czar George Parros wasn't fit to remain in his job.

With five suspensions on his record, including seven games in March for boarding the Boston Bruins' Brandon Carlo, Wilson knows Parros and NHL player safety well. He has previously watched film with Parros to better figure out how to play on the edge without crossing the line and doesn't believe Monday's events were out of the ordinary.

"It seemed [like a] fairly routine hockey scrum to me, and I think that was kind of the feeling from both players in the box, and then obviously it took on a new life after the game," Wilson said. "Those scrums are chaotic and there's lots of stuff going on, but I didn't think too much of it at the time."

Wilson was given two roughing penalties and a 10-minute misconduct at the time. After the fine was announced with no hearing or suspension, the Rangers released a scathing statement, calling it a "dereliction of duty" that Parros didn't suspend Wilson indefinitely.

Given Wilson's size and "the attention on him," coach Peter Laviolette told him this week that he needs to be a little more careful.

"He gets looked at in a certain way," Laviolette said. "He has to play his game, he has to be hard to play against, he has to be physical, but in the same sense, he's got to know that eyes are on him, as well."

Wilson is no stranger to that spotlight. Until boarding Carlo in March, he hadn't committed any offenses worth a hearing with the league since September 2018, when an illegal check to the head of St. Louis Blues forward Oskar Sundqvist drew a 20-game suspension that was reduced to 14 by an arbitrator after he had already served 16.

But Wilson's reputation has followed him. Teammate Lars Eller said people in hockey see Wilson differently, which is one reason why this became such a seismic story.

"After the play, I would have never thought that all this would have blown up," Wilson said. "Nothing I say right now is going to change anybody's opinion. They've already made that up, and I've just got to keep moving forward."

Jesus loving christ

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

eXXon posted:

I was referring more to Leafs fans in general. SAS Leafs fans tend to be more pessimistic than your gen-pop brethren, although some on sas have had their moments as you admit.

Don't forget the excitement following the Kessel trade(s). He was going to be your savior! And giving up 2 late firsts was a steal! (then the picks turned into 2nd and 9th overall)

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

DJExile posted:

Jesus loving christ

He does realize the player he reached out to doesn't speak English, right?

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

th3t00t posted:

I was referring more to Leafs fans in general. SAS Leafs fans tend to be more pessimistic than your gen-pop brethren, although some on sas have had their moments as you admit.

Don't forget the excitement following the Kessel trade(s). He was going to be your savior! And giving up 2 late firsts was a steal! (then the picks turned into 2nd and 9th overall)

I'd like to state for the record that I was against the Kessel deal when it happened, but even I didn't think it would turn out as insanely poorly as it did. Kessel was good in his time in Toronto though, shame about everything else.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

He does realize the player he reached out to doesn't speak English, right?

There are translators all around the league, it wouldn't be that hard. Hell, one of his Russian teammates could have helped him say something.

The real problem is this:

quote:

With five suspensions on his record, including seven games in March for boarding the Boston Bruins' Brandon Carlo, Wilson knows Parros and NHL player safety well. He has previously watched film with Parros to better figure out how to play on the edge without crossing the line and doesn't believe Monday's events were out of the ordinary.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

did we already know about the Parros/Wilson conspiracy mentoring advisory session?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

FBS posted:

did we already know about the Parros/Wilson conspiracy mentoring advisory session?

How is that not a conflict of interest? It’s like the FBI telling you how to rob a bank legally. People in charge of enforcing the rules should not be mentoring the people they are supposed to discipline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Jhet posted:

How is that not a conflict of interest? It’s like the FBI telling you how to rob a bank legally. People in charge of enforcing the rules should not be mentoring the people they are supposed to discipline.

How else is Wilson going to have the skills and experience to take over DOPS after he retires?