Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans

Augus posted:

Other M was like "lol read the manga if you want to understand this story."
oh yeah? well guess what motherfucker I did read the manga
"adam was the closest thing I ever had to a father figure" my rear end! samus already had a dad! in fact she had two dads, they were birds and they raised her until she was an adult!
why are you trying to hide the bird dads from us you hacks

didnt the metroid fusion game state some dude was like a brother?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Bideo James posted:

didnt the metroid fusion game state some dude was like a brother?

nah, it was that the ai reminded samus of a bossy domineering boyfriend she once had who once spent the grocery money on a katana

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

The Voice of Labor posted:

nah, it was that the ai reminded samus of a bossy domineering boyfriend she once had who once spent the grocery money on a katana

siblings also spend their moneys on katanas

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1434950/HighFleet/

holy poo poo!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUxI0V3HOLM

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
some of my friends from high school are trying to get me into halo so i got game pass and installed the master chief collection... holy poo poo i don't think i've ever seen a worse game ui in my life

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

It's because of the MicroProse name isn't it?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

screen shake sucks! if u can't disable it no sale!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Plank Walker posted:

some of my friends from high school are trying to get me into halo so i got game pass and installed the master chief collection... holy poo poo i don't think i've ever seen a worse game ui in my life

your high school friends are bad at video games, introduce them to quake or tf2 there may yet be hope for them, otherwise :sever:

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

reach is still an o.k. game. the first halo doesn't exactly hold up, but regenerating health and stuff was an absolute post modern deconstruction of the fps 20 years ago

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

The Voice of Labor posted:

reach is still an o.k. game. the first halo doesn't exactly hold up, but regenerating health and stuff was an absolute post modern deconstruction of the fps 20 years ago

I don't really think it was a good thing. It fucks up pacing imo. there's really no point in having people hide behind cover for 15 seconds to regenerate health, it's better to reward constant movement and aggression in a more DOOME sort of way by getting up in their face and bashing them into a pinata to keep powering through. of course all games play different but i think it's just extra unneeded downtime and shouldn't be designed to pop your head out, trade a few shots, regenerate, repeat.

Probably the most genius absolutely insanely smart, yet so loving simple, decision I've seen in a recent FPS shooter is in Control where you don't have regenerating health (pickups only) but your ammo regenerates. it's such a simple thing yet it's actually very brilliant. the rest of the combat is mostly boring because you just fight mindzaped human, fungus human, floating human in a chair, and that's the entirety of your enemies, but that was a really sharp tweak.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 21:31 on May 7, 2021

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Honestly I thought it was a step from from earlier health pack based FPS games where you could get yourself into situations you didn't have enough health to survive.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Maybe by making samus subservient to a man we can win over the hikikomori audience

tenderjerk posted:

Didn't Sakamoto tell you stuff in one of the metroid primes, like when you're in your ship? I remember it being pretty weird as nintendo doesn't really do that kind of stuff

Adam is your ships computer guide in Metroid Fusion

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

your high school friends are bad at video games, introduce them to quake or tf2 there may yet be hope for them, otherwise :sever:

i've been converting them one by one to apex legends. when i booted up halo again i checked my controls like 20 times to see if i was missing the sprint button it's so slow

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

christmas boots posted:

Honestly I thought it was a step from from earlier health pack based FPS games where you could get yourself into situations you didn't have enough health to survive.

or spending forever scouring the map for the last %10 health refill to give you just enough juice to finish the level. both approaches mess up the pacing, just in different ways. being able to play without getting hung up on memorizing the map is good, but I think first lessened the amount of and emphasis on finding hidden secrets and could be said to have paved the way for the mindless rigid linearity of the set piece shooter

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Rip powerup comics.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Xaris posted:

Probably the most genius absolutely insanely smart, yet so loving simple, decision I've seen in a recent FPS shooter is in Control where you don't have regenerating health (pickups only) but your ammo regenerates. it's such a simple thing yet it's actually very brilliant. the rest of the combat is mostly boring because you just fight mindzaped human, fungus human, floating human in a chair, and that's the entirety of your enemies, but that was a really sharp tweak.

regenerating ammo way worse than regenerating health because instead of needing to hibernate behind cover after getting hit you have to do it constantly

control is one of the worst shooters ive ever played. its hiding behind stuff waiting for cooldowns - the game

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

https://twitter.com/ShadowPowerup/status/1390730379653435393?s=20

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

:ssh: it's a bit

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Doh

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

https://twitter.com/ComicsPowerup/status/1390761752720248833
lol

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I might be doing my latin wrong but 'deus in nobis' seems like gibberish and its botherin me a lot right now

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'm only at the end of Day 3 in Disco Elysium, but I am so utterly absorbed into the worldbuilding of this game it's not funny

everything about the Pale and Dolores Dei I've learned thus far are like, mind-shattering things to learn when you start out assuming the setting is grounded, if fictionalized version of the world

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Fuligin posted:

I might be doing my latin wrong but 'deus in nobis' seems like gibberish and its botherin me a lot right now

it isn't (though what little latin I have is pretty much gone)

"Est deus in nobis; agitante calescimus illo:
Sedibus aetheriis spiritus ille venit"

Ovid’s Fasti

There is a god within us. It is when he stirs that our bosom warms / It is his impulse that sows the sacred seeds of inspiration.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yeah its god (is) in us

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Yeah i guess i mostly mean that 'god in us' or 'god is within us' with the implicit 'est' seems v random in relation to that game (i assume it's supposed to be the motto of the flying aircraft carrier service). I'm not familiar with that poem's subject matter though, maybe it makes more sense

E; i guess they're nuclear powered, maybe that's it

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

I'd imagine the large degree of ambiguity in meaning is quite intentional, given the game's apparent setting and subject-matter

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I'm only at the end of Day 3 in Disco Elysium, but I am so utterly absorbed into the worldbuilding of this game it's not funny

everything about the Pale and Dolores Dei I've learned thus far are like, mind-shattering things to learn when you start out assuming the setting is grounded, if fictionalized version of the world

yeah it's real good

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

when Joyce began describing the shape of the world I had to reread things a few times before comprehending the ramifications

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/Hegelbon/status/1390786831017463813?s=20

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Jon Irenicus posted:

when Joyce began describing the shape of the world I had to reread things a few times before comprehending the ramifications

Meaning what?

It's basically literally flat earth pieces, broken up into large masses of water/land that are separated by the Pale. I assume it meant at one point it was a normal planet that then got shattered/broken and somehow kept it's properties.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
have there been any decent ARPGs recently? i tried to get into Path of Exile but it seems like it takes way too long to get interesting at all. I just want to click monsters without the first 15 hours of my character being boring as poo poo

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

grieving for Gandalf posted:

it's well made enough that it made me wish I weren't so jaded by years of homebrew RPG settings. I was clicking through it all kinda "yeah yeah tell me about the murder" but it's awfully well designed stuff.

(I still think it's not necessary to be honest. the pale only achieves the same separation between colonized and colonizers that an ocean does but a homebrew RPG gotta have some paranormal elements I guess.)

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Often Abbreviated posted:

it's well made enough that it made me wish I weren't so jaded by years of homebrew RPG settings. I was clicking through it all kinda "yeah yeah tell me about the murder" but it's awfully well designed stuff.

(I still think it's not necessary to be honest. the pale only achieves the same separation between colonized and colonizers that an ocean does but a homebrew RPG gotta have some paranormal elements I guess.)

The pale is also climate change though

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Nier really expects me to run the junk heap over and over to get rare drops huh

I love the game but come ooonnnn

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

DoubleDonut posted:

have there been any decent ARPGs recently? i tried to get into Path of Exile but it seems like it takes way too long to get interesting at all. I just want to click monsters without the first 15 hours of my character being boring as poo poo

Have you tried Grim Dawn?

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
new pokemon snap is cool and good. thanks for listening

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

my bony fealty posted:

use your word edit to increase drop rate

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

my bony fealty posted:

Just cheat imo

Unless you bought the game on console RIP

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

use your word edit to increase drop rate

oh ive got 4 25%ers going, plenty of drops but all useless crap lol. ps4 so I guess I'll just grind it out and put on a podcast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

The Pale is the Sublime, and anything else it needs to be