Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

My copy apparently isn't gonna be here until Monday, so I suppose the real Survival Horror is gonna be avoiding spoilers for the weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Bonaventure posted:

i think less unnaturalness than the ability to more easily read your enemies' posture and actions

think Little Mac vs. the other boxers in Punch Out.
you don't need to watch Little Mac that much, you need to be able to see when King Hippo is going for an uppercut

it's both. larger enemies are easier to read but also are more intimidating.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Augus posted:

larger enemies are more intimidating.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

love that every time mendez appears onscreen he's this taciturn juggernaut who literally crushes leon under his heel, and then you get this guy, who'd might as well have his own warner bros. theme music and splash screen

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oxxidation posted:

love that every time mendez appears onscreen he's this taciturn juggernaut who literally crushes leon under his heel, and then you get this guy, who'd might as well have his own warner bros. theme music and splash screen

See I feel stuff like that is important to the Resident Evil formula, the batshit crazy or funny quality, honestly it’s part of what separates RE from Silent Hill, and part of why I love the series.

Gameplay question I was just thinking:
Does anyone know if by breaking an object (crate, vase, etc) it will spawn an enemy ever? Obviously not counting creatures already spawned or placed on the map.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 7, 2021

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
This big first attack survive poo poo loving sucks. Theres no way anyone who worked on re4's or 5's first survive attack bit worked on this. This kinda stuff just doesnt work at all in fps. Cant do poo poo, just keep dying? I hear a big roar and i thibk the big boy turns up but still die, not enough healing or ammo for anything cant turn or out run for poo poo and you just gotta run around because everyone loved that bit in 4.

Well, it sucks here

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Vikar Jerome posted:

This big first attack survive poo poo loving sucks. Theres no way anyone who worked on re4's or 5's first survive attack bit worked on this. This kinda stuff just doesnt work at all in fps. Cant do poo poo, just keep dying? I hear a big roar and i thibk the big boy turns up but still die, not enough healing or ammo for anything and you just gotta run around because everyone loved that bit in 4.

Well, it sucks here

Get on a roof, just like RE4.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Vikar Jerome posted:

This big first attack survive poo poo loving sucks. Theres no way anyone who worked on re4's or 5's first survive attack bit worked on this. This kinda stuff just doesnt work at all in fps. Cant do poo poo, just keep dying? I hear a big roar and i thibk the big boy turns up but still die, not enough healing or ammo for anything cant turn or out run for poo poo and you just gotta run around because everyone loved that bit in 4.

Well, it sucks here

Yeah I'm not having much fun either, started on hardcore cause a review said the game was too easy on normal. Played the remakes on hardcore first time and they weren't too bad but this feels pretty rough. Decided to put it down for the night and come back tomorrow when I'm not tired from work.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Seedge posted:

Get on a roof, just like RE4.

I did. Then got off, then got back up and then

Problem is ethan cant roundhouse kick and this is roundhouse kick gameplay

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I didn’t have any trouble with it….well besides realizing you can end it by going somewhere…but I was also playing on casual…which is pretty good (for me) so far.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I didn’t have any trouble with it….well besides realizing you can end it by going somewhere…but I was also playing on casual…which is pretty good (for me) so far.

Where? Everywhere is blocked off

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I just kinda ran round in a circle until a cutscene happened

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

So, scary enough? Like I'm not expecting RE7 dread, but Village is scary right?

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

TheWorldsaStage posted:

they're not scary

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Bonaventure posted:

they're not scary

I seriously have that little song stuck in my head

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

TheWorldsaStage posted:

RE8 is 80% cheesy Hammer Horror so far with some other, more “grounded” horror very occasionally thrown in and I’m all in. Love me some cheesy RE bullshit.

It’s got strong RE4 vibes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I feel it is a bit too campy to be really scary but it has one or two moments

Think RE4

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Okay did it. Had one more health than normal, Jesus. Basically, keep hanging around the roof area until big boy shows up and then wait abit, make your way to the new opening at the other side and just kinda get yourself trapped in and the cutscene will start. Its not planned out well.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
One of the fun things about the opening village standoff is that the hammer dude has friendly fire turned on, so you can rack up quite the body count by kiting the small fry into his area of effect. I got up after the victory cutscene to find a big stack of trash drops from Lycans who got accidentally hammered to death while I was freaking out.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

What the hell am I supposed to do in the beginning? Big guy just kills me

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Also I have already discovered the most powerful defense in the game

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I like watching this game on Twitch. Chat just turns into pure kink horny mode whenever the witch ladies show up. Looking forward to getting off work soon so I can play more. This game is so good.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
I'm only a few hours in so it might change - but it's definitely scarier than 4. Not even close to RE2R or 7 but definitely scarier than 4.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Control Volume posted:

What the hell am I supposed to do in the beginning? Big guy just kills me

No seriously how the gently caress do I do this. Ive restarted a dozen times. The guy with the hammer has caused two of them. Every guide is saying "oh just stand your ground and itll end" or "let the big guy hit you" or "run to a path that opens up" and I have none of these. I have no victory condition, nothing new happens, I just run around until I hit a dead end and die.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!

Control Volume posted:

No seriously how the gently caress do I do this. Ive restarted a dozen times. The guy with the hammer has caused two of them. Every guide is saying "oh just stand your ground and itll end" or "let the big guy hit you" or "run to a path that opens up" and I have none of these. I have no victory condition, nothing new happens, I just run around until I hit a dead end and die.

There are at least two house you can barricade the entrance to burn through time. One has a ladder to escape through the basement. The second has an exploding red barrel on the inside by the entrance.

Run into the the first house and barricade the door. Find ammo and resources. Take some pot shots though windows and holes. When the door barricade is destroyed, escape down the ladder through the basement.

Then run to the second house and barricade the door. Collect resources and craft if you need to. Shoot to kill all the werewolves trying to break through the door and window, but mostly the window. When the door breaks, shoot the red barrel to kill the poor bastard who just ran through the door. Then escape.

Check the various locked gates (not sure if this is necessary to trigger anything). Then run around for a bit before running to the center. Hopefully this should trigger the cutscene to end the sequence.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Flour bags are also a low-key big survival aid. Shoot them when dudes are nearby and they blind/stun them for an appreciable amount of time. There are a couple around the area.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Yeah, that intro is way worse than RE4 intro. It's essentially the same idea, but RE8's village is busy as hell and really confusing to navigate in.

Also not having roundhouse kicks suck because you can't create openings to escape now. Ethan really needed a melee move.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!

Thundercracker posted:

Yeah, that intro is way worse than RE4 intro. It's essentially the same idea, but RE8's village is busy as hell and really confusing to navigate in.

Also not having roundhouse kicks suck because you can't create openings to escape now. Ethan really needed a melee move.

Yeah the level geometry definitely suffers from having to function both as a set piece area and also “the player will pass through this area again so add paths and doors to later areas even though that will make it more confusing to players who literally just started playing”

Also agree he needs a melee move. I like how he complains to Mia at the very start “but what about all the combat training Chris put us through?” Yeah Ethan, what about this alleged “combat training”?!

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Pulcinella posted:

Also agree he needs a melee move. I like how he complains to Mia at the very start “but what about all the combat training Chris put us through?” Yeah Ethan, what about this alleged “combat training”?!
Said combat training is only useful for the basically impossible scenario of their house being broken into by a rogue boulder. So if RE9 has some weird parasite-controlled rock monster Ethan's gonna be ready for it.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Pulcinella posted:

There are at least two house you can barricade the entrance to burn through time. One has a ladder to escape through the basement. The second has an exploding red barrel on the inside by the entrance.

Run into the the first house and barricade the door. Find ammo and resources. Take some pot shots though windows and holes. When the door barricade is destroyed, escape down the ladder through the basement.

Then run to the second house and barricade the door. Collect resources and craft if you need to. Shoot to kill all the werewolves trying to break through the door and window, but mostly the window. When the door breaks, shoot the red barrel to kill the poor bastard who just ran through the door. Then escape.

Check the various locked gates (not sure if this is necessary to trigger anything). Then run around for a bit before running to the center. Hopefully this should trigger the cutscene to end the sequence.

It did not. I checked the red gate, the pot behind the red gate, the gate further down the river, the gate Ethan swears at. All of this done after the "Youre kidding me!" voice line. I need to know the exact trigger conditions to check them because I honestly think I cannot win right now, I think something got hosed up in the save

e: I spent 10 minutes on a ladder one try too so its not just time based

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Thundercracker posted:

If you block an attack then press the block button again it'll push the enemy back and often knock them down, that's the melee move

It is kinda finicky though

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Control Volume posted:

Look at my post a few above yours

MRA PUA Tay-Tay Fan
Sep 12, 2001
I'm back Bitches
Is anyone on PC having a problem with the default windows cursor showing up in the widescreen bars when looking around in game whenever your cursor would land in that area (and a second problem with steam screenshots not showing it or else I would have included them)? Any idea what to do about it?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

TheWorldsaStage posted:

So far, no, but a little bit of grossness/injury stuff and I did say "oh poo poo" in perfect unison with Ethan.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Started a brand new save, died to mooks right next to the gate that opened up. I ran inside and out of that area twice, once immediately when he spawned and once after kiting him around the map. Killed a few guys, exploded a few barrels for good measure.

I give up. Im not going to play a game where Im following a loving guide, player experiences, etc and I still have no idea what to do.

Vikar Jerome posted:

Look at my post a few above yours

Doing exactly what your post said is one of the reasons I decided to post here, about how nothing was working

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 7, 2021

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
Seems like a combination of time, gathering items, and then going back out to the center of the area and the stream where the cutscene starts. An enemy needs to grab you and be able to put you into the right spot. Staying inside where it's safe will never trigger the end of the event.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Psychepath posted:

Seems like a combination of time, gathering items, and then going back out to the center of the area and the stream where the cutscene starts. An enemy needs to grab you and be able to put you into the right spot. Staying inside where it's safe will never trigger the end of the event.

I have died in the spot where it said to go about two dozen times now. Two of those were to the big hammer guy (another one was to the big hammer guy somewhere else). One attempt had me waiting on the ladder (invincible safe spot btw) for 10 minutes before trying with no luck.

Im not bothering with this. I dont care if its a glitch or just really stupid requirements.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I did it on Hardcore last night after about a half hour of attempts. Unlocked the left loop door, grabbed shotgun, went through the tunnels, ran into and barricaded the corner house, waited and shot the explosive when the door broke down, climbed onto the roof, jumped down and ran to the other explosive barrel to pick off off a few more, then looped around the middle through the previous area then back into the corner house, roof, jump off and looped the whole area a couple of times and got it.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
It's not a great way to do a scene like this. The simple bell timer in RE4 was a much more elegant solution that felt less like the player is doing something wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I wasted all my bullets and ended up using my knife trying to fight off the Lycans in a house until I guess I hit a point in my health that would mean death and one of them threw me outside, whereupon big boi with hammer appeared for a cutscene.