Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I'm watching "You" on Netflix and I can't help but see Joe/Will as Dennis Reynolds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

oh jay posted:

The Gang Makes a Music Video

https://youtu.be/k3zimSRKqNw

Baldee definitely the best part of this video

because the song sure sucks poo poo lol

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
I just saw on reddit that Lil Kev is doing cameos in character for $58. Dude is nailing it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

mcbexx posted:

I'm watching "You" on Netflix and I can't help but see Joe/Will as Dennis Reynolds.

At no point did I ever get over that feeling. It's incredible.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

The rewatch continues. Here's an out of context quote from season 10 that made me double-take for all the wrong reasons.

Dee posted:

Well, you know the Chinese. It's like, business first, breathing second. Goddamnit!

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Mac and Crickets video game show featuring Abed season 2 started. I’d put it above AP Bio but both far below The Mick in the ranking of Sunny cast spinoffs.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

That's a pretty good sweet spot, I'll have to check it out.

The Mick was so good, I miss that cast.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Mythic Quest is pretty good.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Brawnfire posted:

That's a pretty good sweet spot, I'll have to check it out.

The Mick was so good, I miss that cast.

it was so hard to take the jimmy guy seriously in the breaking bad movie lol

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

He will forever be having his rear end handed to him by a girls' soccer team in my heart

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I liked seeing Chip as Young GOB in Arrested Development. A highlight in a dire season.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Brawnfire posted:

He will forever be having his rear end handed to him by a girls' soccer team in my heart

yea.. he does fight back pretty good tho

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

oh jay posted:

I liked seeing Chip as Young GOB in Arrested Development. A highlight in a dire season.

I'm rewatching AD at the moment and am on season 2... I can't remember where to stop. I saw the first Netflix season where they filmed them all separately or whatever, and that wasn't great but it was Arrested Developmenty enough I guess. Where should I call it quits if I don't want to get into deep suckage?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

arrested development had exactly 3 seasons

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Brawnfire posted:

I'm rewatching AD at the moment and am on season 2... I can't remember where to stop. I saw the first Netflix season where they filmed them all separately or whatever, and that wasn't great but it was Arrested Developmenty enough I guess. Where should I call it quits if I don't want to get into deep suckage?

Season 3 is the last Fox season and a pretty good finale. Season 4 is fine and they work around not having all the cast there at once fairly well. Which edit is better seems to be starkly divided. Season 5 is not good. The pacing of the story and the jokes is off, and they do so much green screen of people vacantly staring at a camera that you'll notice it, even if you don't usually notice these things.

Season 4 is probably the last "good enough" season, but stopping there means basically hanging on a cliffhanger.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

disclaimer: i was not aware that there was a director's cut of the weird season. i just know the one i saw when it came out wasnt very good

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

season 4 is mixed, there’s some really clever writing in there that’s honestly as good as anything else they’d done, but the script needed tightening, and the production was worse than it needed to be, even beyond the obvious issue caused by not being able to afford having the cast all together. One of the biggest issues I think was—with the show being an early experiment for Netflix’s original series—how the episodes didn’t have a cap on the runtime. That sort of freedom can be a benefit sometimes, but AD clearly benefited from having that tight structure. tons of things go on way longer than they needed to in season 4.

the season 4 recut is a lot better for the first few episodes, but then it somehow turns into an absolute mess that’s somehow even more difficult to follow than the original, and every episode has like five minutes of recaps shoved in

Season 3 is great, though its sad it got cut down

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

season 4 is mixed, there’s some really clever writing in there that’s honestly as good as anything else they’d done, but the script needed tightening, and the production was worse than it needed to be, even beyond the obvious issue caused by not being able to afford having the cast all together. One of the biggest issues I think was—with the show being an early experiment for Netflix’s original series—how the episodes didn’t have a cap on the runtime. That sort of freedom can be a benefit sometimes, but AD clearly benefited from having that tight structure. tons of things go on way longer than they needed to in season 4.

the season 4 recut is a lot better for the first few episodes, but then it somehow turns into an absolute mess that’s somehow even more difficult to follow than the original, and every episode has like five minutes of recaps shoved in

Season 3 is great, though its sad it got cut down

The season 4 recut is not worth it. Just go into the original knowing that it's basically replaying the same days over from different perspectives, all culminating into the final day (roughly).

There was a lot of negative feedback about the confusing timeline, but the recut tried to put everything in chronological order and ruins many of the punch lines and the narrator almost never stops talking.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Did they restore the original version? When they recut it before releasing the fifth season, they nuked the original cut.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

Did they restore the original version? When they recut it before releasing the fifth season, they nuked the original cut.

They didn’t nuke it, they just moved it to the “trailers & more” section. And yes, if you’re gonna watch S4, definitely watch the original cuts and just be aware it’s gonna be weird.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
S4 original cut is pretty good, the recut is nowhere near as enjoyable imo

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

drunken officeparty posted:

Mac and Crickets video game show featuring Abed season 2 started. I’d put it above AP Bio but both far below The Mick in the ranking of Sunny cast spinoffs.

I have a hard time not letting this show run-off my brain, it just makes me think it's The Guild, or Harmontown RPG animation, or any of the other 100 attempts to animate a videogame or tabletop world in some youtube series. Mac, Cricket, and Abed though makes me think I should give it another glance

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It's a show about a company that makes an MMORPG, not an animated video game thingy.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It's a gamer's version of silicon valley without the pretense of an overarching plot and less capitalist worship.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

It also sucks and the game dev trappings are even less than surface-deep, they make basically no effort at any sort of clever satire. Think Big Bang Theory rather than Silicon Valley, except the writers of Mythic Quest somehow managed to care even less about learning about the subject matter, so all the plots are entirely nonsensical to anyone with even the tiniest idea of how a MMORPG studio might work. The best episode of last season, ironically, was one where they tossed out the entire premise and told an unrelated story about two career-driven professionals trying and failing to make a relationship work.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah in terms of realism it hews a lot closer to BBT than Silicon Valley, but it has one enormous advantage over BBT in that it is actually funny.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Actually, I used to watch BBT as kind of a guilty pleasure, and this seems less funny by an order of magnitude. I really wanted to like it, too, but it's just so bleh.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 9, 2021

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Phenotype posted:

Actually, I used to watch BBT as kind of a guilty pleasure, and this seems less funny by an order of magnitude. I really wanted to like it, too, but it's just so bleh.

I think its a matter of quanity, BBT just machine guns jokes and many of them don't land but no one notices because here comes another joke. MQ has less jokes so when they don't land it sticks with you longer.

I want MQ to be better, but it really does suck (except for that one previously mentioned episode). At least AP Bio had interesting characters in the kids, I don't know what the difference between each character is on MQ except for Abed being the capitalist "unfun" guy and Rob's character being just being Ego personified.

Burning_Monk fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 10, 2021

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Who is Ahab?

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

i liked rob's character more when i realized he was just chris metzen

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Who is Ahab?

Either an Israelite king in the Bible or a vengeful sea captain in Moby Dick.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

That show is still apple TV only right?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Why haven't I heard until today that AP Bio had a third season? I need to get on that.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

It's worth watching if you liked the first two, but it seemed like a step back in terms of plotting and humor, and I'm pretty sure the show was canceled after it aired. I liked AP Bio in general, but it felt like they were on the cusp of having the show all come together and just never quite got there. It just needed a little bit more edge to it, but instead they seemed content to run generic light-hearted high school comedy stuff without really taking advantage of the dirtbag sociopathy that Glenn Howerton seemed perfect to bring to the show. I think they were trying to contrast the saccharine generic school stuff with an Always Sunny dark humor rear end in a top hat character, but they just didn't seem to bring the effort they needed, so you got some good episodes where the inner Dennis got to shine through and a bunch more episodes where it was just a generic sitcom with a cranky Biology teacher.,

As far as these shows go, I'd say it goes The Mick >>>>> AP Bio >>>>>>>>>>>> (pretend I pasted another fifteen lines of >s here) >>>>>>>>>>>> Mystic Quest. I'd be interested to see Charlie make a show of his own too, just to see where it falls on the scale.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'll never forgive those bastards (whoever they are) for cancelling The Mick :negative:

Edit: I still think every so often of God pointing directly at that shocked little boy and bellowing,"STAY IN SCHOOL, BEN!" :lol:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Phenotype posted:

It's worth watching if you liked the first two, but it seemed like a step back in terms of plotting and humor, and I'm pretty sure the show was canceled after it aired. I liked AP Bio in general, but it felt like they were on the cusp of having the show all come together and just never quite got there. It just needed a little bit more edge to it, but instead they seemed content to run generic light-hearted high school comedy stuff without really taking advantage of the dirtbag sociopathy that Glenn Howerton seemed perfect to bring to the show. I think they were trying to contrast the saccharine generic school stuff with an Always Sunny dark humor rear end in a top hat character, but they just didn't seem to bring the effort they needed, so you got some good episodes where the inner Dennis got to shine through and a bunch more episodes where it was just a generic sitcom with a cranky Biology teacher.,

As far as these shows go, I'd say it goes The Mick >>>>> AP Bio >>>>>>>>>>>> (pretend I pasted another fifteen lines of >s here) >>>>>>>>>>>> Mystic Quest. I'd be interested to see Charlie make a show of his own too, just to see where it falls on the scale.

Yo, so Mythic Quest is actually made by Charlie Day, he just doesn't star in it. He's got quite a few script writer credits on it.

And AP Bio was renewed for a fourth season.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I feel like the hatred of Mythic Quest has to be performative or something. It's not the best show ever, but it's still pretty good and funny. To say that it sucks because it's not an accurate representation of a game studio is as dumb a criticism as saying that Always Sunny sucks because it's not an accurate representation of a real bar.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

And AP Bio was renewed for a fourth season.

Whaaaa?? I thought for sure I read that it got canceled, but holy poo poo you're right. That's pretty great, although it's a minor crime that it's getting 4 seasons and the Mick only got 2.

Cojawfee posted:

I feel like the hatred of Mythic Quest has to be performative or something. It's not the best show ever, but it's still pretty good and funny. To say that it sucks because it's not an accurate representation of a game studio is as dumb a criticism as saying that Always Sunny sucks because it's not an accurate representation of a real bar.

I mean, I just don't think it's funny or good. And it's one thing if they're not doing an accurate representation of a game studio, but they're not making it purposefully wacky to go along with purposefully wacky characters, they're not using it as a vehicle to drive "look at these silly nerds" jokes like in The Big Bang Theory, it just seems lazy and uninformed.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Phenotype posted:

I mean, I just don't think it's funny or good. And it's one thing if they're not doing an accurate representation of a game studio, but they're not making it purposefully wacky to go along with purposefully wacky characters, they're not using it as a vehicle to drive "look at these silly nerds" jokes like in The Big Bang Theory, it just seems lazy and uninformed.

Nah, I think they use the setting to talk about a bunch of issues. Setting the show in a games company is useful, because the Mythic Quest office is space where childishness is both valued for its own sake and actively exploited as a way of producing money. So this allows them to tell stories about the conflict between creative and capital in the first season, and the personal relationships and work relationships can come into conflict in the second.

Very little about the show seems particularly lazy, tbh. Pretty sure the cast wrote and performed that silly Everlight song from the special, for instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

I tried giving it a go and I absolutely hate it. I stopped after the weird drama episode, it was so goddamn forced.