Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I took my starting province from Clan Helhein ASAP; once I finished the battle for the second minor settlement I offered peace, NAP, and trade which they accepted, so I ran as quick over to take Snikch's starting major city (stayed at peace until I was at the town and just hoodwinked it), then marched down and ended Malus ASAP. Its all about marching quickly to kill the next guy before they are ready to march on you. Once you kill Malus be ready to Lightning Strike Grimgor's Waaagh armies (lightning striking means you dont have to also fight the Waaagh troops, thank god). After that I just had fun nuking whatever I fought.

2nding this, once you get your backfield cleared you should have gotten some levels on Imrik so he starts going from "Meh dude on a horse" to "Terrifying God of Destruction" like some horrifyingly smug butterfly coming out of its coocoon. Then his crap economy doesn't matter as much anymore! (Since he and Mikaela is basically a two-man army at that point, add special-dragons if needed)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.
I play Dwarves a lot in SFO, which is supposed to take away the CPU weight towards attacking the player. Several times, while playing as Thorgrim, Imrik will bypass Skaven, Orcs, Dark Elves and other Dwarves just to deep-dick strike into the Silver Road while I'm trying to secure the northern provinces. And he usually shows up with some completely bullshit dragons.

I hate him so much, and yet it's, just...:perfect:

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I took my starting province from Clan Helhein ASAP; once I finished the battle for the second minor settlement I offered peace, NAP, and trade which they accepted, so I ran as quick over to take Snikch's starting major city (stayed at peace until I was at the town and just hoodwinked it), then marched down and ended Malus ASAP. Its all about marching quickly to kill the next guy before they are ready to march on you. Once you kill Malus be ready to Lightning Strike Grimgor's Waaagh armies (lightning striking means you dont have to also fight the Waaagh troops, thank god). After that I just had fun nuking whatever I fought.

Seconding (edit: thirding) this. Make sure you wipe out Snikch completely. Then Malus. Then with Imrik's army alone defend the west, get dragons, and build up your provinces enough to fund another army.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

in the gameplay teaser...teaser video they show an ice spell that seems like maybe it has more "weight" than any of the magic in WH1 or 2... like it doesn't just send some models flying and then become ethereal, but possibly affects pathfinding?

dunno if that's something they're explicitly going for but seems like a cool change if it's real, I know magic is incredibly effective in this game but even the best spells don't feel very substantial (the huge health pools don't help, either)

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
There definitely is a ton of room for magic to grow. Even though it's very powerful (to the point of being broken beyond belief in single player) there's a lot more that could be done then just buffs and a series of wind/vortex/missile/airstrike spells. Spells that leave physical barriers or some kind of counterspell/dispel system would be cool

I am also interested in seeing if they do anything to make elite infantry more worthwhile in MP. Taking just one unit if elite infantry is basically asking for it since it's p much guaranteed to get wipes by a spell or focus fired out, and taking more than two units or so is prohibitively expensive. Elite infantry tends to move in tight formation too, it would be nice to have the option to have elites move in a more staggered formation to defray some of these issues too. MP play you see a lot of blobs of basic infantry and not a lot of elite infantry, accurate I guess but sucks to have such a big portion of the roster that includes some very iconic units basically trivialized

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
The thing that we learned in the first two games was how critical abilities that affect movement are. So I am sure that there will be a lot of snares, slowdowns, etc. in the new game. And if there are going to be barricades and things of that nature then I think we will see spells that create magic ice walls and so on.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I really hope they do something to address the Ordertide, because if they don't I get the feeling WH3 is going to be less "CHAOS OVERRUNNING THE WORLD" and more "CHAOS RUNNING AWAY FROM THE KARL/KATARIN/TYRION/THORGRIM/DRAGON EMPEROR DOOMTIDE".

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Gonkish posted:

I really hope they do something to address the Ordertide, because if they don't I get the feeling WH3 is going to be less "CHAOS OVERRUNNING THE WORLD" and more "CHAOS RUNNING AWAY FROM THE KARL/KATARIN/TYRION/THORGRIM/DRAGON EMPEROR DOOMTIDE".

I think they're leaning full bore into the order train because most of the players play order factions.

You literally have Kislev laying siege to the Brass Keep in the preview! You can't get more order tide than that!

THS
Sep 15, 2017

i wish the game would change the settlement look when you conquered something. why would high elves keep the dark elf architecture

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

THS posted:

i wish the game would change the settlement look when you conquered something. why would high elves keep the dark elf architecture

It’s ironic you plebeian! :smug:

-the high elves, probably

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

THS posted:

Why would they demolish it? It's all cool imposing towers. The noble Asur have better things to do than demolish and rebuild towers.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Why would they demolish it? It's all cool imposing towers. The noble Asur have better things to do than demolish and rebuild towers.

Also isn't it actually the same architecture besides the spikes. The Asur don't have time to go and remove all those spikes.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

It's a nice touch that the high elves and the dark elves have the exact same post battle options. And they both say poo poo like "I need more slaves."

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

THS posted:

Skaven kind of accomplish that.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

i dunno it just seems stupid that there's no visual reflection of foreign occupation on conquered cities in the base game. why would the empire or the dwarves keep these disgusting ork hovels or vice versa

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

THS posted:

i dunno it just seems stupid that there's no visual reflection of foreign occupation on conquered cities in the base game. why would the empire or the dwarves keep these disgusting ork hovels or vice versa

"Living Museum of Dipshits We Conquered"

They've gotta be keeping some of the original inhabitants depending on how you occupy a settlement anyway. Otherwise it wouldn't make sense that you could sail your army halfway around the world and occupy other-racial settlements at a high pop level.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

i think the real answer is that it was too much work to make the art fit on all the 500 different settlements. which, fair, probably not a top priority. it just seems like an incomplete part of the game imo

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Settlement graphics did change in WH1. That was of course much less work than it would be in WH2, with fewer factions, fewer settlements, and the "climate" system (that is, being straight up unable to build functioning settlements in wrong climates) being used at the time.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

They still do in WH2 as well...sort of. Greenskins and Dwarves retained the system but yeah I wish others had something equivalent.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Gonkish posted:

Nah, gently caress chaos.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Captain Oblivious posted:

They still do in WH2 as well...sort of. Greenskins and Dwarves retained the system but yeah I wish others had something equivalent..

They don't though. That's the only one that really annoys me, the orc mushroom hovels remaining the same when people who aren't orcs live there

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

That's how it worked in Warham 1, when you occupied a settlement the settlement art would change to the occupying factions. I really hate how they changed that.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

They don't though. That's the only one that really annoys me, the orc mushroom hovels remaining the same when people who aren't orcs live there

Let me clarify. They imported it from WH1....for a narrowly defined set of regions they already did the art assets for this one. The World’s Edge Mountains in the Old World are set up to have varying appearances based on if dwarves or greenskins are in charge. So it’s a thing that exists for the eastern edge of the map but nowhere else mostly.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
add tourism. "This pile of poo poo was shat out by the warlord Grom The Paunch, who was killed ten turns into the Forever War."

a bunch of estalian tourists "ooh" and "ahhh" and buy magic pictures of the poo poo.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Captain Oblivious posted:

Let me clarify. They imported it from WH1....for a narrowly defined set of regions they already did the art assets for this one. The World’s Edge Mountains in the Old World are set up to have varying appearances based on if dwarves or greenskins are in charge. So it’s a thing that exists for the eastern edge of the map but nowhere else mostly.

It changes on the campaign map but not in-battle. A greenskin-occupied Karaz-a-Karak still looks pristine and dwarfen in a siege, and a dwarf-occupied Black Crag looks all dishevelled and orcy in a siege. It's disappointing, I do wish they'd retained it from TWW1 properly.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

shrug, i like having some visual variety in my cities.

of course it would be amazing if they became some sort of hybrid of the original and occupying faction, but I'll take the current system over "everything I control looks the same"

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Charlz Guybon posted:

I think they're leaning full bore into the order train because most of the players play order factions.

You literally have Kislev laying siege to the Brass Keep in the preview! You can't get more order tide than that!

I look forward to Eltharion locking Khorne up in prison and torturing him into being his slave.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
There's a mod that changes settlements to reflect new owners, don't remember the name off the top of my head but it should be easy to find.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

William Bear posted:

I look forward to Eltharion locking Khorne up in prison and torturing him into being his slave.

Just don't try that with Slaanesh

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
As someone who played Chaos in tabletop waaay back in the day, I really hope they make the faction something worthwhile. Beastmen, too. I demand better murder goats.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

HoboTech posted:

As someone who played Chaos in tabletop waaay back in the day, I really hope they make the faction something worthwhile. Beastmen, too. I demand better murder goats.

same

Elves and chaos rule gently caress off rats and imperials

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I like every faction :shobon:

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Me too, except Empire and greenskins, tho they are good punching bags!

(Elves are still the best tho)

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

same

Elves and chaos rule gently caress off rats and imperials
I'm not sure I've ever seen someone be so wrong.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I agree with the point about rats

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
this denigration of rodent kind shall be accounted for

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
Newegg guessing/leaking the release date as Nov 4.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ad090 posted:

Newegg guessing/leaking the release date as Nov 4.
Got a source? And why would Newegg know or care?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
the source is newegg itself: https://www.newegg.com/sega-total-war-warhammer-iii-pc/p/N82E16832203426

they've been selling video games both pc and console for like a decade at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

the source is newegg itself: https://www.newegg.com/sega-total-war-warhammer-iii-pc/p/N82E16832203426

they've been selling video games both pc and console for like a decade at least

Those release dates are almost always placeholders.