Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Sodium Chloride posted:

The OP put up with that poo poo for far too long.

Crepe cake sound unappealing and how the gently caress is it $95.

https://www.ladym.com/items/lg-green-tea-mille-crepes

People routinely crepe out nine inches or more every day for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Malachite_Dragon posted:

A new contestant for The Biggest Weenie approaches. Congratulations, husband.

:emptyquote:

Sounds like he's nervous about being cut out of the will. Joke's on him though, it's probably already done so that his kid's evil mother can't get a whiff of the inheritance.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

betaraywil posted:

AITA for making a deal with my MIL which lead to her never meeting my children?

Honestly the OP sounds like a loving lunatic herself.

quote:

She pointed out that I don't look like the other women in the family, thin and attractive. She made a joke about he should have worked for his stepdad like he was offered, so he could afford better. She would sweetly ask me if I wanted to try something because she heard it was good for weightless.

I demanded to be in all pictures unless it was just her and her husband, or her and her kids without the husband. I regret that.

I did tell her sometimes to shut up because she is a spoiled housewife and doesn't know what it's like in my situation with work stress. Also I did try to weasel in on a trip, shouldn't have done that but I was young and my dumb friends were egging me on.

She just believes she doesn't have to do anything if she doesn't want to, so she isn't going to speak to me.

It was a respect thing. She did it for everyone else in the family

quote:

I wish I went into it knowing about her anxiety issues and that she can't handle things normally. I wish I could take back what I said about her parents euthanizing her because my husband lost his grandparents over that, a

quote:

I do think but I'm not qualified to diagnose her. My husband is convinced that she can't have it because she is "too pretty". I lean towards her having it but that doesn't make it true

quote:

I know. I tried to tell him that but he screamed that I'm just jealous because she has more money and therefore looks better than me

quote:

My personality really triggers her. Apparently I'm too loud and pushy. I demanded respect, such as being included in her family pictures and she would freak out that I'm not her daughter and to get the gently caress away from her. Her entire family hated me and told her she was right.

quote:

My kids don't see anyone from the family. The entire family chose to go NC with us. There are family members like his step grandmother who I think would have liked to meet the kids but they did not feel comfortable coming to our house, and then MIL's parents want nothing to do with us, and SIL talks to him but they aren't close anymore and she will not step foot in our housed.

Uh, it sure is possible that everyone else in the family is crazy, but when your the one that an entire group of people go NC with, it's a high chance you are the problem.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 8, 2021

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
For sale: crepe cake, slightly used

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

oh jay posted:

I don't understand money. Did my insurance have to pay for the shot I got, or did they send the details up to the government who then paid them back? Why do they ask for insurance information at all?

Apparently $80 a shot? Moderna, if it matters.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

pentyne posted:

Seriously. I got to this part

quote:

The three of us had a long conversation about what we wanted. MIL wanted to be able to see her son without seeing me. I wanted to not put up with her poo poo anymore, and my husband didn't want to lose either of us. During the talk I learned that MIL was totally indifferent to having grandchildren, so I proposed a deal. MIL and DH could have whatever relationship they wanted outside of me, she could have her family dinners and her family pictures without having to freak out about me not being family, but she would never meet our kids.

MIL was chomping at the bit. She loved it. The next year was one of the most peaceful of my life. My husband was finally happy. MIL was no longer a basket case getting physically ill over the stress, and I had my first child. MIL never once broke out agreement. She has never asked to meet them. I'm not even sure she knows their names. My husband has lunch with her about once a week, and goes to family dinners or cookouts at her house a couple times a month. He even spends Christmas eve with her.
and just had to wonder that if the bolded parts was the compromise, how insane was the OP before. Like am I crazy for thinking that it's ok to have a guy visit with his parents without having to bring his spouse every single time (especially if the MIL and wife get on like a grease fire!)? It doesn't sound like the husband is hanging out with his mom solo all day every day, the OP even says it's only about once a week or so! Let the husband have some him time with the family!

I really get the vibe that the OP has the need to insert herself into every single interaction her husband has, even if she doesn't want to be there. That is super unhealthy and I don't blame the MIL for wanting space.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The Bramble posted:

I have this idea that the pizza store in my hometown we got takeout from growing up is the best ever. Every friend or girlfriend I've taken to visit my parents has taken me aside later to let me know it was extremely bad and they'd never knowingly eat there again. It's still the first thing I eat when I drive out to visit Mom.

Pizza Hut thin crust ham and tomato. There are far better pizzas out there but it's what Dad always got when we went out and it tastes like childhood far more easily than figuring out exactly how to burn the meatloaf the way Mom used to.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

pentyne posted:

I'm getting "person you married has the same basic personality as your parent" vibes.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
AITA For Letting The Cat Wreck My Roommate's New Sofa?

quote:

-Throwaway because my roommate knows my Reddit account-

So I (F24) have been working at home since March 2020, while my roommate (F25) works a retail job when it's allowed to be open/ in-between lockdowns. This has worked out pretty well because our apartment is super small, and I like to move around the whole apartment during the day to follow the sunlight around (makes it less dreary when I'm stuck inside all the time).

Anyway, our old sofa finally bit the dust, it was a combination of spills, roommate's cat tearing it up, and the both of us being couch potatoes too often because of the pandemic. Since I bought the majority of the other big furniture in the house, my roommate bought the new sofa. It's pretty nice, brand new - not second-hand or anything.

Now here is where I'm wondering if I'm TA: My roommate was at work and I was floating around the apartment as usual working on a project. The cat was hanging around the new sofa, I didn't think much of it. When my roommate got home, she discovered the arms of the new sofa had been all torn up by the cat and she started giving me poo poo for not trying to stop the cat and told me I should pay for the sofa to be reupholstered.

I'm not really sure if I'm the rear end in a top hat for "letting it happen". Sure, I was around the apartment and I probably should've noticed the cat tearing up the couch, but I'm pretty lax with all of my furniture so I didn't think it was a big deal.

So Reddit, Am I The rear end in a top hat for letting the cat tear up the sofa?

AITA for being angry with my parents for calling the office of the school I teach at?

quote:

I am 26 and teach elementary school. I live a few state away from my parents and have no family here. I’ve made sure they have points of contact with people here and they also have my boyfriend’s number. When my phone went to voicemail and texts wouldn’t deliver, they called the office of my employers (elementary school) to “see if I made it to work okay today”.

I’m upset because that’s my workplace, regardless if it’s a school. I feel like it was inappropriate. There were other ways of getting in contact with someone who would know what was going on.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

AITA for being angry with my parents for calling the office of the school I teach at?

I know declawing cats is basically animal abuse by some standards, but when cats tear up things like that isn't it a sign they don't have scratching posts or similar they use to trim their own claws?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

pentyne posted:

I know declawing cats is basically animal abuse by some standards, but when cats tear up things like that isn't it a sign they don't have scratching posts or similar they use to trim their own claws?

Partly, but scratching is also a means of marking territory, so having a scratching post won't necessarily eliminate the desire to claw other things.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

pentyne posted:

Not necessarily, as a crazy cat dad I have scratching posts everywhere and one cat exclusively uses them but the other still goes for the couch. You can definitely trim their claws without any abuse worry and that works well.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Maed posted:

Not necessarily, as a crazy cat dad I have scratching posts everywhere and one cat exclusively uses them but the other still goes for the couch. You can definitely trim their claws without any abuse worry and that works well.

Or use those soft caps!

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Softpaws have been recommended to me by vets and shelters as a humane alternative to declawing, too.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

I have enough trouble holding them down to trim their claws let alone trying to glue on some plastic.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Clearly, the solution is: cat shoes.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
We also tried the soft caps things; as soon as we'd get them on all of them would sit there gnawing at them until they got them off again and go right back to clawing. Now we just trim their claws once every other week.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Quackles posted:

We talking boots? High heels? Flats?

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Zil posted:

We talking boots? High heels? Flats?

Klompen, wooden shoes are preferred by cats.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

pentyne posted:

Declawing a cat involves amputating the last bone of each toe. It really fucks with their skeletal structure later in life, not to mention what sort of pain they might be in. So there really shouldn't be any doubt about whether it's animal abuse or not.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
My (28F) uncle (49M) is fixated on the idea of my husband (28M) having a mistress and getting him to say he would leave me if his mistress was pregnant.

quote:

My cousin is pregnant with a married man’s baby. It’s been a huge scandal in our family, but my uncle has been doing his hardest to convince everyone that my cousin is the real victim in this situation. He thinks that the married man, who has small children with his wife, should abandon them and take care of my cousin and their baby instead.

For some unexplainable reason, he has latched onto my husband to try and push this narrative that the married man has more obligation to his mistress than his wife. At first, my uncle coaxed my husband into agreeing by not giving him the whole story. I was furious and exploded at him which made my cousin cry.

Now, my uncle is obsessed with the idea of my husband having a mistress.

In 2019, we took a family vacation with my extended family. During that vacation, my husband got a lot of female attention. This isn’t unusual for him; he has always got a lot of attention, so he’s used to it. There was this one particular girl though, that brazenly invited my husband to her room in front of my uncles/cousins. My uncle keeps bringing it up and mentioning how my husband must get a lot of invites like that and travelling alone must get lonely at times. Pre-COVID my husband used to travel a lot and sometimes for long stretches.

He also has outright said that my husband is in the perfect position to have several mistresses and he doubts he would ever get caught. He has asked him if he has a second family in a different country and has “jokingly” suggested he leave if his other “wife” is better looking than me.

One of the worst parts is that two of my male cousins have asked my husband if they can have the numbers of anyone he is bored with because they believe he is fooling around because my uncle is going on about it with so much confidence so often.

I’m honestly at my breaking point here. My husband has outright told my uncle that what he is saying is inappropriate, but my uncle tries to act like it’s all one big joke. I can’t go no contact with my uncle because my elderly grandparents live with him and he won’t let me see them if I do.

What are my other options here? How can I make him stop?

TL;DR – My cousin is pregnant with a married man’s baby. Now my uncle is obsessed with implying my husband is having an affair and that if he gets his mistress pregnant, he should leave me for her.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

oh jay posted:

Avocado hand is a national crisis. How much did Big Bandage pay you to spread this propaganda?
For only $10 a household, you can provide hope to a young millennial at risk of avocado hand. Call now!

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

My wife had two cats, and her new roommate decided to go get a new couch. Roommate begins staying with her boyfriend and we don't see her for the next year. The new couch arrives and it's faux leather. Wife calls the roommate, "I can't take delivery of this for you, it's pleather and the cats are going to ruin it just by walking on it," and the roommate says "just try your best to keep them off it."

So she's like, poo poo, goes and gets a thick cover for it, spends a year shooing the cats off the soft comfortable thing, roommate comes by no joke three times.

A year later, roommate comes to pack up her stuff, and she looks at the couch. It's actually not bad! No scratching, no rips or tears, just pinpricks on the arm rests. Roommate goes absolutely bugfuck about how her couch is ruined, and now wife owes her the cost of the couch. See, she was going to sell the couch on Craigslist, and since she hadn't personally sat on it, she considered it a new couch, which should fetch the full retail price. This was not to be a depreciating couch.

Wife's like nah, I warned you when the couch showed up that this was going to happen. Let's go get one of those touch up kits, and I'll help with it, but I'm not buying you a new couch. Roommate says she's not settling for anything less than the retail price of the couch, wife says good luck with that, roommate goes to go get her boyfriend.

They come back a few hours later, and demand to know why the cats were allowed the run of the apartment in the first place. Wife should have kept them in her bedroom in her otherwise vacant apartment, in order to preserve the couch in a pristine state. Okay, so what if it's cruel to keep an animal in a confined space? So what if it's physically improbable for one person to be able to keep two cats in a tiny room they're determined to leave? If you really cared about the couch, you would have put up a fence around it.

The fence thing was the last straw, and we told them to take the couch and get the gently caress out, and then roommate has a clever thought and says "No. I'm not moving this couch until you pay me." She storms out.

So anyway we changed the locks and told her the couch was going on the curb morning after next.

So that's my frame of reference for cat couch poo poo. Build a fence around my couch while I leave it at your place for a year. Nevertheless, it's the guy who's mad that his own cat hosed up his couch is out of his mind.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Evil Willow posted:

My (28F) uncle (49M) is fixated on the idea of my husband (28M) having a mistress and getting him to say he would leave me if his mistress was pregnant.

This problem has a simple solution that does, admittedly, involve a little bit of light murder.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

Dazerbeams posted:

Declawing a cat involves amputating the last bone of each toe. It really fucks with their skeletal structure later in life, not to mention what sort of pain they might be in. So there really shouldn't be any doubt about whether it's animal abuse or not.

The only time I think it would be ok to declaw is if the cat would otherwise be euthanized by it's crazy loving owners. I'm in vet med and you'd be surprised by the amount of owners we see that would not surrender their pets to a rescue or other people that were willing to put time and money into continuing treatment or rehoming them. Pets that aren't even horribly sick. They have treatable diseases or need surgery or just repeat visits to bandage or cast and the owners simply have no money and won't surrender.

If you ever have to make the decision to declaw a cat, make sure it is done by the cautery laser. It's still barbaric but the cat wakes up being able to walk right away and doesn't have anywhere as much bleeding or pain. For the most part in the five years I worked at a clinic that declawed they had no bleeding at all. The sutures come out on their own and they go home with pain meds and antibiotics. It's not ideal but if their life is on the line, I recommend the vet uses a laser.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Sodium Chloride posted:

The OP put up with that poo poo for far too long.

Crepe cake sound unappealing and how the gently caress is it $95.

https://www.ladym.com/items/lg-green-tea-mille-crepes

They are extremely good, and they tend to be expensive because they're labour-intensive to produce, but I've never paid anywhere near $95 for one.

The most I've paid for one is $65 Australian dollarydoos which works out to about $50 freedom dollars.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Quackles posted:

Cat Heelys

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Reminder on the no animal abuse rule, of which declawing goes very much under

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

teen witch posted:

what about dog heeleys

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

My cats claws just naturally pop out and regrow and I assume that’s normal

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

That's like tossing boiled potatoes into a blender and calling the resulting ooze "mashed potatoes."

Man, I'd suck a dick for that.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

betaraywil posted:

My wife had two cats, and her new roommate decided to go get a new couch.

I feel like I’ve seen you tell this story elsewhere on the forums, but without detailing the hilarious expectation of protecting the couch with a fence.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

You just talking about how they shed the outer layers of their claws as they grow?

Also that reminded me of the time my cat attacked a lizard and got completely fooled by its tail falling off and flopping around while the lizard slowly crept away. Until she noticed and bit its head off like 30 seconds later.

Irukandji Syndrome
Dec 26, 2008

teen witch posted:

I didn't know there was a no animal abuse rule now, thank you very much for that. Definitely have read some stuff in this thread I've regretted.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

That's the sheaths, the outer layer. My cat died eight years ago, I vacuum regularly, and I still find one in a corner every once in a while. They like to stick to carpet.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Owlspiracy posted:

sounds like a real prude, if she didn't want someone loving in her workplace she should've clearly had a sign that said 'no filming porn at your desk'

See, because of me, now they have a warning.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
AITA for changing my diet which resulted in me farting constantly in class?

quote:

I (15M) recently decided to eat some fiber bars daily due to the increase in physical education periods in my school.

So the problem started when I decided to eat fiber bars, and they have been helping out quite well. However, I noticed that after I eat them in the morning, I get bloated and have stomach cramps within 3 hours, and have the strong urge to fart. If I don't release some gas, the pain will be intolerable and I can't even concentrate on simple things.

For the past few days, I have been trying to release small amounts of gas at a time, but whenever I try to do so, huge amounts of gas will just rush out and I will fart really loudly. This has happened 3 or 4 times in class already and I don't want it to happen again, and it is really embarrassing for me. Also, the gas I release is really stinky and the people seating around me can all smell it.

Yesterday, a guy seating behind me confronted me to tell me that he could not take me farting anymore. He said that I farted almost 15 times an hour, and he could hear the gas coming out and he could smell it and it distracted him from the lesson. He had discussed with the people around me affected by my farts, and they want me to stop me farting.

Am I the rear end in a top hat for continually distracting my classmates from the lesson? I just want to have some fiber bars so I can do well for physical education, and I suspect my gas is because of those fiber bars.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Evil Willow posted:

I mean, you could just have your husband tell him that "oh yeah, I've knocked up tons of mistresses but I'd never help them raise their kids, its not like I care about their mothers" and just destroy him

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

e: nvm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Man, that giant derail about the homebrew porn studio today and not a single person voiced the thought that the college kid that owned the house probably didn't have a formal agreement with the buddy they were renting to.

I'm laughing buckets at the one guy who blamed his roommate because the roommate didn't stop the dumbasses cat from destroying the dumbasses furniture.