Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I don't know recently counts as 'new', I've been hearing 'queer-coded' for over a decade I'm pretty sure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Well, more so than "the 40s" anyway

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

YggiDee posted:

I don't know recently counts as 'new', I've been hearing 'queer-coded' for over a decade I'm pretty sure?

There's Scar and Ursula from disney films, I'm pretty sure the term "queer coded" dates back to the 90s at least.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Coded can also be, like... Garnet from Steven Universe has physical features associated with Blackness but is actually two space rocks hugging very tightly. She's coded as Black but there are also, you know, actual Black human characters. And I think that's fine bc if the nonhuman characters in question are humanoid enough, some variety is good. It's not like Caucasian features are 'default'. It's just something that can be done very badly and stereotypically by racist writers.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

PetraCore posted:

is actually two space rocks hugging very tightly.
Just rock gals being rock pals

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

christmas boots posted:

Alright, I'm game. Tell me about aspect ratios.

Apart from early films when there were no real "industry standards", widescreen aspect ratios exist today largely because Hollywood was scared of competition from television so had to search for new gimmicks.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

My rental office just posted a thing

parasite posted:

Happy Work Anniversary to (person with same name as company)! He has been a great addition to our corporate staff as the Project Manager of New Development & Acquisitions. Three years has just flown by. We look forward to seeing all that he does for our company in the years to come!
Here’s what he had to say: “Being here at (company) has been an amazing experience, throughout these past 3 years I’ve grown to love the family aspect here. Everyone here has been more than willing to help. Going forward I cannot wait to have these new projects progress me with experience and learning that comes with it.” #theirslogan #greatemployees

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔

Cloacamazing! posted:

Yeah, they "discovered" that. I had a job interview where they told me about their awesome "trust working time" concept where you didn't have to check in or out and you could just work any time you wanted, as long as the work got done obviously, and my first thought was "So that means nobody ever gets compensated for working overtime and God help you if you try to leave on time?".

Are you saying supergiant games really made pto mandatory to discourage people from using it? How is that supposed to work?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Two Beans posted:

Ahh so a stupid rear end in a top hat, in other words.

Pat is the idiot, for Six-Of-Hearts' benefit.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

Just rock gals being rock pals
You can tell from the way they were buried they must have been very good friends, or possibly cousins

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Blackula Vs. Tarantula posted:

Are you saying supergiant games really made pto mandatory to discourage people from using it? How is that supposed to work?

I think they interviewed before it was mandatory

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Len posted:

That sounds like a plot from South Side.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Len posted:

Talk about nominative determinism. What a crazy coincidence that someone ended up working for a company that goes by the same name as them.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/AZKellyT/status/1390386508004089857?s=19

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

Arizona, well known for being a hotbed of Communist activity…

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Where's her checkmark

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Len posted:

Where's her checkmark

She's a state senator, not a national player.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Vib Rib posted:

You can tell from the way they were buried they must have been very good friends, or possibly cousins

It's particularly funny to apply that descriptor to that fusion in particular because it fits Stevonnie a lot better - Garnet is the most explicitly horny pair of characters in the show whenever they are apart. The body language is super clear. Fusions certainly aren't direct analogs to sex because that would be weird, they are metaphors for relationships of all kinds from familial love to toxic friendships, but Garnet is the one pair of characters that can be described as "Oh, they FUCKIN'!"

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BioEnchanted posted:

It's particularly funny to apply that descriptor to that fusion in particular because it fits Stevonnie a lot better - Garnet is the most explicitly horny pair of characters in the show whenever they are apart. The body language is super clear. Fusions certainly aren't direct analogs to sex because that would be weird, they are metaphors for relationships of all kinds from familial love to toxic friendships, but Garnet is the one pair of characters that can be described as "Oh, they FUCKIN'!"

The joke is that a lot of archaeology and historian work looks at people who are super obviously a couple and decides that they are Just Friends because homosexuality can't exist. If you have two women buried together in the same manner as a culture buries spouses, they will say "They were very good friends!"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Midnight Voyager posted:

The joke is that a lot of archaeology and historian work looks at people who are super obviously a couple and decides that they are Just Friends because homosexuality can't exist. If you have two women buried together in the same manner as a culture buries spouses, they will say "They were very good friends!"

Like how "objects of ritual significance" either means they don't know what it is or dildos

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

https://twitter.com/heaberald/status/1390870016019607556

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

duffmensch posted:

Arizona, well known for being a hotbed of Communist activity…

The signs were all there.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

christmas boots posted:

Like how "objects of ritual significance" either means they don't know what it is or dildos

Almost anything can be a dildo, if you have courage in your heart, and an adventurous spirit.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I am fully aware of the historical erasure, like that one pharaoh who's name I can't recall (begins with B) who is credited with inventing the whoopie cushion, but what a lot of historians deliberately ignore is that she lived as a woman. She was a transgender Pharaoh. It was mostly allowed until she hit 18 and made a move that went further than her high priests were willing to allow by marrying one of her male slaves. At that point she was executed.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Elviscat posted:

Almost anything can be a dildo, if you have courage in your heart, and an adventurous spirit.

Mesopotamian girls make do

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

BioEnchanted posted:

I am fully aware of the historical erasure, like that one pharaoh who's name I can't recall (begins with B) who is credited with inventing the whoopie cushion, but what a lot of historians deliberately ignore is that she lived as a woman. She was a transgender Pharaoh. It was mostly allowed until she hit 18 and made a move that went further than her high priests were willing to allow by marrying one of her male slaves. At that point she was executed.

Woah, I wish to know more

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Platystemon posted:

The signs were all there.

well, I'm no expert, but that would put them in Idaho right? I mean a kilometrer is 1000 miles right? or am i a product of American education?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

cult_hero posted:

well, I'm no expert, but that would put them in Idaho right? I mean a kilometrer is 1000 miles right? or am i a product of American education?

lol a km is around 2/3 of a mile my dude

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

BioEnchanted posted:

Though to be honest I’d rather not think about the fusion/sex analogy in any capacity because all it’ll do is remind me of Riley-from-the-Arkh-Project’s awful medium post about “the time Pearl used Garnet as a sexual comfort toy”.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Kenning posted:

I really hope OP is doing the performative « lol merica dum rite » thing

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

Woah, I wish to know more

I was wrong about which culture it was, it was a Roman Emperor, not an Egyptian pharaoh. Her name was Elagabalus. She came to the throne when she was 14.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Kenning posted:

You've been Ken M'd.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kenning posted:

Let’s also not ignore that Idaho is nowhere near six thousand miles from the Mexican or Canadian borders.

Six thousand miles would get you to Turkey.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

BioEnchanted posted:

I was wrong about which culture it was, it was a Roman Emperor, not an Egyptian pharaoh. Her name was Elagabalus. She came to the throne when she was 14.

She literally offered half the Empire to any surgeon willing to give her a vagina and historians will still say with a straight face that she was cis.

She also used the imperial palace as a brothel to sell her body, held massive religious festivals where the plebeians were able to eat a poo poo ton of food, and let women into the Senate.

Of course, this meant that she very quickly got couped by the Prateorian Guard and assassinated at the age of 18.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

TinTower posted:

She literally offered half the Empire to any surgeon willing to give her a vagina and historians will still say with a straight face that she was cis.

She also used the imperial palace as a brothel to sell her body, held massive religious festivals where the plebeians were able to eat a poo poo ton of food, and let women into the Senate.

Of course, this meant that she very quickly got couped by the Prateorian Guard and assassinated at the age of 18.

To be fair, this history was also written by their detractors, and Roman society was incredibly misogynistic and had very little in the way of libel laws, so...

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Blackula Vs. Tarantula posted:

They had unlimited vacation like a million san francisco startups and tech companies, but found that almost no one took any time off at all. Now they require people to take (at least) 20 days a year off. They also have said they have rules about no emails/work talk after 5pm on Friday and generally seems to be a p OK place to work--or at least I would like to have either of those things in any job lol

given a lot of their founders were like former games journalists/etc I'm willing to believe they thought unlimited PTO was good a decade ago but realized it's bad and changed it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

BioEnchanted posted:

TinTower posted:

Thank you both!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I would be wary about taking this said about Emperors at face value. Historians of the time weren’t afraid to say whatever salacious rumor as 100% true if they didn’t like the emperor. And no one like el. As they saw him as an effeminate easterner

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

christmas boots posted:

I've been in the opposite situation, reading an article that describes the discovery of an ancient dildo I was a bit dubious about how they knew it was a dildo until I got to a photo of the object and yeah it was obviously and undeniably a dildo.

Samovar posted:

To be fair, this history was also written by their detractors, and Roman society was incredibly misogynistic and had very little in the way of libel laws, so...

Yeah, this cannot be emphasized strongly enough. If we take our sources literally then Nero burned down Rome on a whim (he didn't), the Empress Theodora hosed animals as part of her stage act, and Tiberius retired to get blowjobs from infants. There's a reason historians are skeptical about Elgabalus being, well, anything like their detractors described them.

Vincent Van Goatse has a new favorite as of 10:27 on May 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Also keep in mind that ideas of gender did not exist in the same way as we have them today.

A common conception among ancient Mediterranean societies with Greek influences is that women were simply “incomplete” men. In essence, they were the same “gender” but men had “evolved” to the ultimate stage, whereas women were inferior and lacking.

The idea of a man trying to become a woman in such a society would likely be outrageously scandalous, let alone for an emperor from the east, where people (according to Roman prejudices) already were more feminine than they should be.

It’s possible that there’s a kernel of truth in the stories about Elagabalus, but to claim that modern historians are unwilling to commit to that due to some deep rooted transphobia in academia is not entirely fair. There are circumstances of culture and historical precedents that makes slander an equally (if not more so) likely answer.

BigglesSWE has a new favorite as of 12:37 on May 8, 2021