Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Glenn Close as Danny DeVito’s Penguin? I’m in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Glenn Close as Danny DeVito’s Penguin? I’m in.

Would just prefer Devito as Cruella.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Would just prefer Devito as Cruella.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/TaylorLorenz/status/1390781017519054849?s=19

Uh, wtf

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Bye bye career. Although they sort of let Nick Cannon have his job back after pulling this poo poo last year. I wouldn’t really call that success though.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
he's saying some dumb poo poo like "i was curious about what people were saying" but i very much doubt it. also, apparently he was very defiant about it on ig before scrubbing it and making a statement that his publicist wrote.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

He’s not Mel Gibson so he probably won’t get away with it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I wonder what proportion of hollywood is into nazi poo poo and gives money to far-right groups. I alway think about Steve Bannon being a producer with a stake in Seinfeld, or about how Ben Shapiro is from a Hollywood family and wanted to be a screenwriter.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Anyone really famous would likely be bounced pretty quick. Behind the scenes people might get away with it. Little Ben’s parents are only on the periphery of the movie industry, and he just plain failed to break in at all.

On the other hand it seems like it wasn’t a huge secret that Gibson was a racist lunatic, and still kept getting chances after it became incredibly public. He just lost his chance to be in Chicken Run 2 after Winona Ryder told the media that he’d called her an “Oven dodger” back in the mid-90s.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

god loving dammit, why Stanfield. Why.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He went off the deep end a year ago? I think? So idk.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I don't know who that is

Thanks for stopping by

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Collapsing Farts posted:

I don't know who that is

Thanks for stopping by

He was the weirdo Hello Fellow Black Person! party guest in Get Out.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Grendels Dad posted:

He was the weirdo Hello Fellow Black Person! party guest in Get Out.

And was just nominated for being "Judas" in Judas and the Black Messiah. And is incredible in Atlanta (the best current show on TV?). And was also incredible in Sorry To Bother You. Him being weird is unsurprising, but being a dumb rear end in a top hat is disappointing

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
This is incredibly disappointing and really loving stupid move. After reading the article I still am unclear on how the app works, but it appears to be an open forum? Which is even dumber.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
i never got the point of clubhouse. It was always just a platform for celebrity and influencer jerklecircing

but without anything inherently interesting or innovative about the format

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

My middle school used to do a 'Squid Day' for sixth graders (which was actually split over two days) where everyone would go from teacher to teacher and each teacher would spend like an hour teaching us something about squids or doing something squid related. One teacher had us dissecting squids, another cooked calamari for us, the cranky old teacher that no one liked just had us reading a paper on squids and then writing an essay about it.

Anyway each class got to make two stops in the library, one on the first day and one of the second, and each day we'd watch half of 10,000 Leagues Under the Sea, which pretty much everyone agreed was the highlight of the whole thing.

I should see if that's on Disney+ and see if it holds up.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

i never got the point of clubhouse. It was always just a platform for celebrity and influencer jerklecircing

but without anything inherently interesting or innovative about the format

I mean, it's right there in the name yeah.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I hope there won't be any controversies when people find out we post in the same forums that birthed Groverhouse and the killer zipline.

Content:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Vandar posted:

My middle school used to do a 'Squid Day' for sixth graders (which was actually split over two days) where everyone would go from teacher to teacher and each teacher would spend like an hour teaching us something about squids or doing something squid related. One teacher had us dissecting squids, another cooked calamari for us, the cranky old teacher that no one liked just had us reading a paper on squids and then writing an essay about it.

Anyway each class got to make two stops in the library, one on the first day and one of the second, and each day we'd watch half of 10,000 Leagues Under the Sea, which pretty much everyone agreed was the highlight of the whole thing.

Did you grow up on a small island? Was the economy entirely built up on your squid fishing industry?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

The MSJ posted:

Content:

Was there an actual story here? Who gives a poo poo?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The 90s are the new 60s. Get ready for 20 years of pop-cultural mythologizing. Pamela Anderson was our Jackie O.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

IUG posted:

Did you grow up on a small island? Was the economy entirely built up on your squid fishing industry?

I was born in a town that has an annual festival dedicated to tuna, so it wouldn't surprise me.

There was also a Japanese town that used their covid funds to build a giant squid statue.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
It’ll be like the tonya thing and there will be nominations for technical poo poo

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Was there an actual story here? Who gives a poo poo?

They made a sex tape and Tommy made a song about it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rahonavis posted:

Elementary school: Annual pre-Christmas Break screening of the Don Bluth short “The Small One”, which they had on Actual Film rather than a VHS. Also “Annie”, “Hoosiers”, “Willy Wonka”, “Clash of the Titans”, a biopic about “Pistol” Pete Maravich for some reason, the deeply upsetting “The Boy Who Could Fly”, and a “Just Say No to Drugs” thing with Kirk Cameron taking over a classroom from a teacher who licks a piece of chalk and is now addicted to drugs somehow? Tuesday After-School was essentially lawless and would put on anything from “Little Shop of Horrors” to the “Garbage Pail Kids” movie to “Howard the Duck”. Because talking animals (and plants) = Okay for children.

Middle/High School: We took field trips to the Winona Ryder “Little Women” and “Mr. Holland’s Opus”. We watched the 60’s “Romeo and Juliette”, as is apparently tradition, as well as a couple After-School Specials in Literature. “The Breakfast Club”, “Sybil” and “Wired” (yes, the insane Belushi biopic) in Psychology, and “Outbreak” in Biology, which was the one and only movie we had to get permission slips signed to watch.

Just went down a hole catching on wtf Wired was holy lol

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
At least there were a few interesting things in the Tonya Harding story, even if the movie wasn’t that good outside of Allison Janney. Grendels Dad just summed up the entirety of the Tommy Lee/Pam Anderson thing.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Casimir Radon posted:

He’s not Mel Gibson so he probably won’t get away with it.

I mean, did Mel Gibson get away with it? The most recent movie he was in that anyone cared about was Expendables 3 and the whole concept of those movies is casting washed up action stars.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I'm totally on board for the one episode that's all about Tommy Lee's rotating drum sets.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

They dumped Jessica Biel a few seasons in for doing some magazine photos where she wasn’t naked but wore shorts or something, and then she went on to do Blade III and ultimately what is her finest work: the commentary track for Blade III dvd.

The dad being a pedophile the whole ten years or however long it was is a profound irony that presaged other horrors associated with weird religious tv shows that try to appear normal. Mostly more pedophiles, I guess.

Whats so good about it

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Alhazred posted:

I mean, did Mel Gibson get away with it? The most recent movie he was in that anyone cared about was Expendables 3 and the whole concept of those movies is casting washed up action stars.

Hacksaw Ridge got him a Best Director nomination in 2016 and he was in Daddy’s Home 2 in 2017 which did quite well.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Alhazred posted:

He played a villain in Boss Level.

Apparently being a villain is a lucrative career for an actual monster.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Between Lakeith Stanfield and Armie Hammer, going to be really hard to rewatch Sorry to Bother You again. Which sucks.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I wonder what proportion of hollywood is into nazi poo poo and gives money to far-right groups. I alway think about Steve Bannon being a producer with a stake in Seinfeld, or about how Ben Shapiro is from a Hollywood family and wanted to be a screenwriter.

I feel like the entire "Intellectual Dark Web" are first and foremost a bunch of people who wanted to be Big Hollywood Names and just used their politics as an excuse for their lack of talent.

Vandar posted:

It is and it does.

I grew up in Connecticut and the actual USS Nautilus submarine is a museum ship here, and when you enter the building they have a giant model of the Disney Nautilus hanging overhead, and I still would kill for a copy of that. Love that design.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

He played a villain in Boss Level.

Apparently being a villain is a lucrative career for an actual monster.

I believe he was also the villain in Machete Kills which was a kind of similar role of villain mastermind.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

IUG posted:

I grew up (and still live) smack dab in the middle of North Carolina. There was no reasoning for Squid Day, it was just a fun thing the teachers did for the sixth graders.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The sooner we get to artificially grown meat in scale and as standard, the better.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Gatts posted:

The sooner we get to artificially grown meat in scale and as standard, the better.

Imagine a future where instead hot and cold water there's an additional third tap that's just ground beef

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Neo Rasa posted:

Imagine a future where instead hot and cold water there's an additional third tap that's just ground beef

Meat Tap, I like it. Just pour liquid meat on the grill and make a burger.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Gatts posted:

Meat Tap, I like it. Just pour liquid meat on the grill and make a burger.

Meat Tap sounds like the very worst dating app ever imagined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Shageletic posted:

Whats so good about it

It’s very funny. I think it’s where that story about Wesley Snipes not opening his eyes comes from.