Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

First week at my new job is good

Free lunch every day. Drinks. Intermittent snacks. Occasional breakfast. It's not impossible they're actually witches and the plan is to fatten me up and eat me.

Attempts at out of hours team building are once a month and seem well intentioned

It's made an excellent impression

I just have to figure out what I'm actually in charge of. It's a spin out that is still heavily linked with the parent in a way that seems unhealthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Batterypowered7 posted:

Those old rear end mainframes must cost so much to maintain.

The business inertia is huge. Until the last person who knows how to fix it dies, somewhere a terminal-access-only mainframe running a complex web of Cobol and hand-rolled assembly functions that violate every known rule of good memory management will chug in a frozen basement.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
It's not so much "my" work that does it but lately manager type people we work for/with have gotten it into their heads that they are gonna "make my job easier" or "save time for me", which inevitably results in ten times more work and reduced quality of features.

"Yeah we heard you already had written a piece of software that does everything we need buuuut we would like to make things as easy as possible for you so you can focus on what you're good at and get the product done, so we would instead like you to use this other software that we just happened to get for cheap and which only does half the things we need and does so in a terrible and slow way, and you'll spend an additional 3 months hacking around its limitations and basically ending up inventing a goddamn p2p network data diffusion protocol since we only make sane and rational choices here and no you can't just use an external database!!!! This is to help you don't you see."

"Hmmmm you say you can implement this new feature that needs to be added in about two days? Hmmmm I hear you but instead we are gonna bring in a totally new guy and he can learn the entire codebase, which is extremely schizophrenic due to being shoved around to like 6 different people already, half of whom where not even programmers and should not have been let anywhere near it, and he'll do that and implement the easily most complex single feature in the product, in about three days (sic!) because that's how those things work and in no way will this backfire and you definitely aren't gonna be spending ten times as much time trying to teach that guy how to do the thing rather than just doing the thing yourself and it will not result in a disaster that you will have to clean up. Instead we want you to focus on what you're good at, which is the thing the other guy implied you guys were incompetent at."

I extremely enjoy being told what i am and am not competent at and what will save me time, by some pissant middle manager.

Yes I know they're not really trying to save me time and that's just how they're trying to convince us of the decision they've already made. Maybe try not implying we don't know what we're doing tho?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

"thanks for doing all our marketing work by yourself for two years to get us VC money but these guys have their own team and so you're out on your rear end and no you haven't worked here long enough for your stock options to vest, idiot. whaddya mean you left a good thing to come work here? this was always the plan"

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

goatface posted:

The business inertia is huge. Until the last person who knows how to fix it dies, somewhere a terminal-access-only mainframe running a complex web of Cobol and hand-rolled assembly functions that violate every known rule of good memory management will chug in a frozen basement.

Depending on the industry the risk is huge too. Those mainframes have been bug fixed and optimized over decades and replacing them with a brand new server suite with newly-written Java software or whatever is not an easy thing to do. I'm not defending mainframes or anything but for enormous industries like banking you can't just shut everything down over a weekend and replace everything and then turn it back on and assume nothing will go wrong.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

goatface posted:

Yup. The cost isn't even a factor. Cost-benefit analysis treats the current model as the zero point without any "excess" costs; "if we fix this, it will take a couple hours of work and save us a few thousand dollars" doesn't even register the second half, just "it'll take worker time so we can't approve it". It doesn't matter how hosed a system is, as long as it's running it gets treated as "this is working normally and fine" even when it's neither normal nor fine.

Sincerely, the person still pushing for one hour, maybe two maximum of active developer time (avg $45 in my area, but of course our one IT guy per division is underpaid) to save 50-100 hours of our time per year ($16, so $800-1600, and we're already over $3,000 in) by implementing code that's already written and small-batch tested, just needs a larger batch test and then merged. "We can't justify the cost." It's not even new code!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Elephant Ambush posted:

Depending on the industry the risk is huge too. Those mainframes have been bug fixed and optimized over decades and replacing them with a brand new server suite with newly-written Java software or whatever is not an easy thing to do. I'm not defending mainframes or anything but for enormous industries like banking you can't just shut everything down over a weekend and replace everything and then turn it back on and assume nothing will go wrong.

Banking, at least the majors, are probably a lot less likely to have an actually ancient, untouched system--more likely they have actively developed mainframe software they keep building on, and millions of dollars in contracts with IBM to keep cycling out the hardware for new models.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

Additionally the mainframe often has other systems connected to it that expect data to be handed to them in an exact way, even if it's "wrong"

An example of that sort of thing: Microsoft Excel treats 1900 as a leap year even though it isn't. This wasn't a mistake on Microsoft's part, they had to do this so Excel was compatible with Lotus 123, which mistakenly had 1900 as a leap year.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

our app uses hard-coded settings defined in PHP for a huge variety of settings and options that each client has available to them

so each of these has to be defined in the code per environment to take effect on that specific environment, per client.

this has lead to literally dozens if not hundreds of "woops, i merged my code in the wrong place, didn't mean to turn that off, let me do another commit and we can deploy again" and "oh poo poo i didn't merge my change yet, we need to deploy again. give me 15 minutes i'll let you know when i've pushed my changes" in the last few years.

despite all of this, the product team still continues to build new and more complicated functionality on top of this PHP setup instead of defining new settings in the DB where it can be edited without the need for a deploy. new employees especially struggle with this and we are in the middle of the biggest hiring campaign the company has ever seen.

just piling poo poo on top of poo poo on top of poo poo, and then acting clueless when everyone points out to them that their decisions lead to these mistakes.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

ben shapino posted:

our app uses hard-coded settings defined in PHP for a huge variety of settings and options that each client has available to them

so each of these has to be defined in the code per environment to take effect on that specific environment, per client.

this has lead to literally dozens if not hundreds of "woops, i merged my code in the wrong place, didn't mean to turn that off, let me do another commit and we can deploy again" and "oh poo poo i didn't merge my change yet, we need to deploy again. give me 15 minutes i'll let you know when i've pushed my changes" in the last few years.

despite all of this, the product team still continues to build new and more complicated functionality on top of this PHP setup instead of defining new settings in the DB where it can be edited without the need for a deploy. new employees especially struggle with this and we are in the middle of the biggest hiring campaign the company has ever seen.

just piling poo poo on top of poo poo on top of poo poo, and then acting clueless when everyone points out to them that their decisions lead to these mistakes.

The classic "we don't have time to do it right because we're pressured to get it done by an arbitrary date" followed by "it takes less time to put out fires than it does to do things right the first time".

I loving hate capitalism.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
just make up some technical or security reason why you need to do the work. if technical management isnt on board youre hosed anyway.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I was told the Free Market allows everything to run super efficient and government is completely ineffective. Some of you saying that's a lie?!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

carry on then posted:

Banking, at least the majors, are probably a lot less likely to have an actually ancient, untouched system--more likely they have actively developed mainframe software they keep building on, and millions of dollars in contracts with IBM to keep cycling out the hardware for new models.

That's the fun thing. IBM is EXTREMELY happy to sell you some z/OS device which is FULLY backwards compatible with the 50 year old device for which your mainframe software was first written, the software whose first developers have actually by this point died of old age.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

https://mobile.twitter.com/ehansalytics/status/1387413794721206274

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
If the IT guy doesn’t stop condescending to me over a loving unnecessary platform switch so help me. Keep loving sending poo poo over that I can google and ignore the “HELLO I HAVE A HUGE ISSUE” flags I’m waving.

like to be fair, one of my sore spots is being talked down to wrt: computers, and now that saddled with being blown off on something that could severely affect my productivity - yeah.

But the cloud

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Skeleton knows whats up

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

teen witch posted:

But the cloud

My soon-to-be-former organisation continues to charge headlong at The Cloud, despite not getting... any of it.

They're just using google drive and some minor organisation / storage thing, and hoping everything will work out.
Today's latest is: they wanted group editing of some documents, so they gave everyone write access.
Now someone has apparently accidentally deleted everything. No backups.

Fortunately those of us who have been here for a while (who are all leaving in a couple of months) had our own backups, which we will graciously provide as soon as we are asked.
Don't know what's going to happen after those two months though.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
My current solution to using drive for an entire organisation is to manually back the whole thing up on an external drive once a month. People get ac ess to individual folders. It's going to be a nightmare if we expand beyond two or three people.

Barudak posted:

Skeleton knows whats up

Maybe I'm just a traditionalist but I have a summer intern do all my analysis manually.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Atopian posted:

My soon-to-be-former organisation continues to charge headlong at The Cloud, despite not getting... any of it.

They're just using google drive and some minor organisation / storage thing, and hoping everything will work out.
Today's latest is: they wanted group editing of some documents, so they gave everyone write access.

Fortunately those of us who have been here for a while (who are all leaving in a couple of months) had our own backups, which we will graciously provide as soon as we are asked.
Don't know what's going to happen after those two months though.

I thought that you had 30 odd days to recover accidentally deleted content?

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

goatface posted:

my fiance, with a degree in something totally unrelated, got hired and trained to be a mainframe programmer by a major bank. at first when i looked up what Cobol is, I thought her future prospects could be iffy. but it seems like a lot of boomers are her higher-ups, the mainframe ain't going anywhere, and even if it was, somebody knowledgeable will have to be there to make the transition possible. so at this point I think she got a pretty drat bullet proof computer-toucher job?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

20 Blunts posted:

my fiance, with a degree in something totally unrelated, got hired and trained to be a mainframe programmer by a major bank. at first when i looked up what Cobol is, I thought her future prospects could be iffy. but it seems like a lot of boomers are her higher-ups, the mainframe ain't going anywhere, and even if it was, somebody knowledgeable will have to be there to make the transition possible. so at this point I think she got a pretty drat bullet proof computer-toucher job?
We're slowly plodding to a point where you just fix your mainframe interfaces to work with modern systems, if not someday load a virtual mainframe on the cloud instead of converting it to a vaguely modern solution on the cloud. So your bank mainframe is probably here to stay forever considering how much auditing and testing would go into a new solution. Considering how much auditing, testing, and other implementation project work there would be, any attempt to replace it would come with the opportunity to become the same expert on the new system or a 5-10 year telegraphed project plan to know when you should be working somewhere else or retired.

Business oriented languages were made to be easy to understand and audit by random subject matter experts so anything that's COBOL or the like has super important transparency or auditing requirements that make changing systems nearly impossible. The ironic part is that we quickly cut corners in COBOL etc. to make it more like normal programming so now it's actually harder to understand so we have ancient unknowable programs that it is very important we don't replace.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The Cloud is just another person's computer I'm borrowing, so why can't I just load a virtual mainframe into it?

This stuff is old Eldritch computing. It relies a lot on hardware idiosyncracies during compiling and runtime, usually entirely by accident. These are where the stories come from like I deleted a comment about the manager being a prick dated 1977 and for some reason wire transfers to Israel stopped working. The easiest place to run bullshit like that without a ton of chaos is just the original mainframe.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

zedprime posted:

The Cloud is just another person's computer I'm borrowing, so why can't I just load a virtual mainframe into it?

This stuff is old Eldritch computing. It relies a lot on hardware idiosyncracies during compiling and runtime, usually entirely by accident. These are where the stories come from like I deleted a comment about the manager being a prick dated 1977 and for some reason wire transfers to Israel stopped working. The easiest place to run bullshit like that without a ton of chaos is just the original mainframe.

I remember reading something similar where a program worked great, but only because of line length enforcement where everything over a certain limit of characters didn't count

madness

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Classic languages that were around at the time often had the punch card limits still hard coded in. Line length limits and function names limited to 8 characters long are just the beginnings of the pain.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Remember how we got that cost of living adjustment that was pulling teeth to get people to admit it happened at all?
Turns out the people who have been here 15+ years are getting paid the same as people who have been here 3 or less. Who could have seen that coming. Almost like the complete refusal to discuss pay has consequences.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My boss told me to apply for this other job.

I did.

I told him about it and he said I probably won't get it.

What the gently caress

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Every year all employees at my company are forced to take what amounts to a few hours of courses on security in a company effort to try and curb phishing-style attacks. They then send out simulated phishing attacks and we have to report them when we spot them.

They also send out a bunch of crap via 3rd party links that we have to click on. "Take this survey on corporate culture" or, my personal favourite, "your company is switching to a new corporate credit card, click here to apply". These are legitimate links that we're supposed to click on, but they feel like 100% phishing attempts. Then they complain when no one takes the surveys or fills out the card applications.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Sitting on a meeting about migrating 4200 users to a new domain.

Half our applications don't work on the new domain.

Leadership has set the deadline to get everyone migrated as the end of June.

Lmao.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Boiled Water posted:

I remember reading something similar where a program worked great, but only because of line length enforcement where everything over a certain limit of characters didn't count

madness

The famous story about the 500 mile emails is my favourite

https://web.mit.edu/jemorris/humor/500-miles

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Atopian posted:

How? Even the lowest level commercial Gsuite has file restoration built in for the Gsuite admin, I'm like 99.9% sure? It also has a trash can that keeps files for (I think) 30 days?

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Inzombiac posted:

I did.

What the gently caress

:iceburn:

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

zedprime posted:

Let's be real if you're gonna code anything with an accounting background you're gonna get pigeon holed into a business-oriented language crime against computer science.

I probably would not mind that TOO awful much, to be honest!

zedprime posted:

~*Doot doot doot gonna learn some C# to make some handy tools for my day to day*~

A strange man with sacks of cash money: you're an accountant... Who codes? Could we maybe interest you in fixing a COBOL problem for us? *Waves sacks of cash*

Well, hello strange man! I played Half Life and have a soft spot for suspicious G-Men with FaNtAsTiC oFfErS, where do I sign!?

SkyeAuroline posted:

Yup. The cost isn't even a factor. Cost-benefit analysis treats the current model as the zero point without any "excess" costs; "if we fix this, it will take a couple hours of work and save us a few thousand dollars" doesn't even register the second half, just "it'll take worker time so we can't approve it". It doesn't matter how hosed a system is, as long as it's running it gets treated as "this is working normally and fine" even when it's neither normal nor fine.

Sincerely, the person still pushing for one hour, maybe two maximum of active developer time (avg $45 in my area, but of course our one IT guy per division is underpaid) to save 50-100 hours of our time per year ($16, so $800-1600, and we're already over $3,000 in) by implementing code that's already written and small-batch tested, just needs a larger batch test and then merged. "We can't justify the cost." It's not even new code!

Hold up. HOLD UP. These are example numbers, right? Of course they are, you're not fixing all their poo poo for that. No, of course you are not.

Regardless, please report to the Negotiation Thread posthaste: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768531 Everyone should go there, it owns

Barudak posted:

Skeleton knows whats up

Be that as it may, he still needs to chill the gently caress out :colbert:

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

SkyeAuroline posted:

Remember how we got that cost of living adjustment that was pulling teeth to get people to admit it happened at all?
Turns out the people who have been here 15+ years are getting paid the same as people who have been here 3 or less. Who could have seen that coming. Almost like the complete refusal to discuss pay has consequences.

I had a job where the president of the company handed out bonus checks in person on the shop floor around Christmas time. The rubric for this bonus was apparently opaque, and (long before I got there) when someone asked why someone else got a significantly larger bonus than him, the president apparently had a fit and said that if people shared pay with each other ever again, they would be fired and bonuses ended.

When I told my mentor that I was quitting after a year working there, he shared how much he was making and was like "Good, I won't let my son work here." I was like "WHY ARE YOU STILL HERE!?!?" and he was like "I dunno, they gave me a job in the slump in 1982 when I really needed it" and I just stared at him blankly before saying "Good luck, see ya'"

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Inzombiac posted:

I did.

What the gently caress

I wonder if your boss was hoping you wouldn't get around to it, so that when you were like "promotion plx" he could come back with "You never applied for that other one, dunno when the stars will align again"

Maybe I'm being unfair to your boss but he's a boss so probably not

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Zarin posted:

Hold up. HOLD UP. These are example numbers, right? Of course they are, you're not fixing all their poo poo for that. No, of course you are not.

Regardless, please report to the Negotiation Thread posthaste: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768531 Everyone should go there, it owns

They are not, in fact, example numbers at all - that's just the situation. If "for that" you mean my pay compared to developer pay it's because I'm in an entirely different department with an entirely different role, I just work in the systems they nominally maintain. I also have no idea if that's what our guys are actually paid since, as mentioned, everyone here is allergic to any communication on financial stuff. But rough average for the area.
I'm also in a federal minimum wage area where just about everywhere else I'd be making $12-13 tops and not be able to make rent. Believe me. I've been looking for a long while now.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
My office wants to cross train people into learning Mainframe poo poo, so we're not boned if one of the 60 year old dudes retires suddenly.

This offer does not come with a pay bump to the level our Mainframe guys are at, and we would still have to do our other duties, whereas the mainframe guys get a lot of free time to watch youtube or whatever when there's nothing to do.

suprisingly, the few people who expressed interest decided not to go through with it after learning the specifics. Similar story regarding the "App developer" position that's sitting unfilled.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

InternetJunky posted:

Every year all employees at my company are forced to take what amounts to a few hours of courses on security in a company effort to try and curb phishing-style attacks. They then send out simulated phishing attacks and we have to report them when we spot them.

They also send out a bunch of crap via 3rd party links that we have to click on. "Take this survey on corporate culture" or, my personal favourite, "your company is switching to a new corporate credit card, click here to apply". These are legitimate links that we're supposed to click on, but they feel like 100% phishing attempts. Then they complain when no one takes the surveys or fills out the card applications.

Mark the training as a phishing attempt. That's how you get the secret good end.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

SkyeAuroline posted:

They are not, in fact, example numbers at all - that's just the situation. If "for that" you mean my pay compared to developer pay it's because I'm in an entirely different department with an entirely different role, I just work in the systems they nominally maintain. I also have no idea if that's what our guys are actually paid since, as mentioned, everyone here is allergic to any communication on financial stuff. But rough average for the area.
I'm also in a federal minimum wage area where just about everywhere else I'd be making $12-13 tops and not be able to make rent. Believe me. I've been looking for a long while now.

Yeah, I was just sorta memeing; I'm kinda familiar with your situation because you're in like half the threads I've bookmarked lol :(

I'm probably also having flashbacks of when I was a user doing higher-level work to fix the terrible systems and processes we had, all for user pay, that really didn't lend themselves to the sort of career advancement I was expecting so I am totally DEFINITELY not super-bitter about that on your behalf, nope, not at all. That'd be silly.

Ahh, one of my favorite conversations:
:backtowork: I have a great opportunity for you!
:v: I hate that word.
:backtowork: Why? It's got lots of visibility!
:v: What is it an opportunity for?
:backtowork: What do you mean?
:v: What is it an opportunity for? More pay? Finally getting into an office job? I've taken 3 'promotions' and completed a half-dozen high-visibility projects and I'm still making the same pay I made 3 years ago when I topped out the scale. I finished my degree and STILL can't get out of here. What does this 'opportunity' provide that all the other ones didn't?
:backtowork: . . . .
:v: Yeah. Opportunity. If you want me to do it, just order me to do it. I'll do it. But I have plenty of resume padding at this point.

. . . I think this was right around the time I emailed HR and asked them how much I'd owe the company if I quit. They had a tuition-assistance program but no mechanism for actually having help landing a role using that degree within the company. The only option was to just toss your resume into the black hole that was the online job portal and hope for the best.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

InternetJunky posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/may/10/train-firms-worker-bonus-email-is-actually-cyber-security-test

quote:

West Midlands Trains emailed about 2,500 employees with a message saying its managing director, Julian Edwards, wanted to thank them for their hard work over the past year under Covid-19. The email said they would get a one-off payment as a thank you after “huge strain was placed upon a large number of our workforce”.

However, those who clicked through on the link to read Edwards’ thank you were instead emailed back with a message telling them it was a company-designed “phishing simulation test” and there was to be no bonus. It warned: “This was a test designed by our IT team to entice you to click the link and used both the promise of thanks and financial reward.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lol loving moron workers, they should know better than to expect praise and bonuses

- management, probably