Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

No one looks happy in this photo. No looks like they want to be in this photo. No wonder the '70s was all booze, weed, and cocaine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Automatic Slim posted:

No one looks happy in this photo. No looks like they want to be in this photo. No wonder the '70s was all booze, weed, and cocaine.

What do you mean, no one looks happy?

Gutter Phoenix fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 8, 2021

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Prince Charles can fake it for the ribbon cuttings.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Yes, nobody looks happy. I imagine the people working there in tyool 2021 are loads happier.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

Yes, nobody looks happy. I imagine the people working there in tyool 2021 are loads happier.

People working there in tyool 2021 are absolutely miserable, but they'll punch up the experience for their instagram feeds.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 8, 2021

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'll have a steamed beksinksi, hold the glarsh, but with extra crim

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Coca cola is a phosphate. The acid makes you salivate so you dont notice how thick and sugary it is. The more acid, the more sugar you can cram in.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Play posted:

Do you live there or something?

It's possible that's not the house I'm thinking of, looks a lot like it though and I stayed nearby. This was about 6 or 7 years ago so perhaps that has changed but don't pretend you know about everything going on on a particular street, by its nature drug dealing is meant to be secret. Downtown area still has tons of that stuff and there are still homeless camps nearby. The suburbs of Oakland up in the hills are still more gentrified than the downtown-adjacent area, and a lot of those old houses have been turned into multiple cheap units, some extremely run down and sketchy.

So, maybe some stuff has changed recently but let's not pretend you would know everything that goes on there and discount things I've seen with my own eyes :shrug:

Relevant because open air drug markets and homeless camps outside brand new luxury apartment complexes is extremely Americana

I live across the Bay now but I lived there for 13 years, in the neighborhoods where drugs were actually sold. Heroin is actually difficult to find in the Bay and it’s sure as hell least prevalent in Oakland. Homeless camps are less than a mile
from any single point in the Bay Area because our local govt is disgusting, but you’re obviously extremely ignorant so I guess I can’t hold that against you. I’ve volunteered as a harm reduction social worker for the last 15 years. “Open air drug markets” 😂

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
Dear Americana thread, after a train wreck of a month and the parade of foods contained herein, I broke down and made the family a meal of Biscuits and Gravy ( following this recipe), and it was divine. As a middle aged Australian who's not afraid to appropriate other food cultures ( it has become a national past time ), I thank you thread ( also it was all gone before I could take pictures ). I now need to give my arteries a rest.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

ZombyDog posted:

I broke down and made the family a meal of Biscuits and Gravy ( following this recipe)

quote:

1-2 tablespoons butter or bacon grease (if needed)

As a goon, I find the suggestion that butter or bacon grease would not be necessary personally offensive.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Gutter Phoenix posted:

A young Ron Swanson from Parks and Recreation, spotted on the right.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

He must be thinking about breakfast.

schmug
May 20, 2007

schmug
May 20, 2007

Now here are some happy owners!

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

schmug posted:

No one goes home unhappy after visiting Big boy

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
i have vague memories of eating at a big boy when i was a kid. we were on the way home from spending a week in a cabin in canada and it was raining. i'd just gone a week with no electricity and wanted to get home and play some fuckin NES

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
I ate at a Big Boy in (I think) Glendale, CA a little over a year ago. I hadn't been to one since I was a kid. The food was delicious, especially for a chain diner.

I bought a platic Big Boy coin bank from the cashier for $10. It is sitting on one of my bookshelves, but I am too lazy to get out of bed and take a picture right now.

There are also hundreds of issues of various Big Boy comic books given out to kids over the decades. One series ran for 485 issues between 1956 and 1998!

Gutter Phoenix fucked around with this message at 14:24 on May 8, 2021

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I've eaten at a few big boys really the food was better than I was expecting. Imagine Dennys but not as awful.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I'm sorry, but you lot just cannot do fish and chips properly. You do FRIES. And they're CRISPY. And there's COLESLAW for some reason.

Edit: Big Boy is good though, there is/was one in Ann Arbor. First place to do a Big Mac-style two layer burger, iirc.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 8, 2021

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Brits have to eat soggy chips because their teeth are also soggy from living on bog island.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Play posted:

That meat looks like when you bleed in your anus and then it comes out a while later looking like dark red coffee grounds

Please seek medical attention for your delayed reaction bloody anus

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Why would you want soggy chips?

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Frisch's breakfast and salad bar after working third shift was always a treat.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

lol at soggy fries being a feature of british "cuisine"

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

schmug posted:

My favorite thing about Bob's is that David Lynch would get a chocolate milkshake and a coffee everyday there.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

My grandfather would take me to Big Boy's once in a while, I remember enjoying it. I guess all the ones in California are still in the LA area.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

SPACE HOMOS posted:

My favorite thing about Bob's is that David Lynch would get a chocolate milkshake and a coffee everyday there.

Must have been a drat fine cup of coffee there. Did they have pie, too?

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Spinning pie case, chock full of fresh pie. Bob's Big Boy is a class act.

Gutter Phoenix fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 8, 2021

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Twede’s does have good coffee and pie. Lynch set Twin peaks in North Bend for a reason. When it’s nice it’s Elysium. Mountains on three sides. Blue sky, rivers meeting. Hint of weirdness. Herd of elk that occasionally passes right through town. CCC lodge turned into the community center on a nice park. Wide open and beautiful.

When it’s not nice the clouds descend like a lid pushing down into a bowl. They swirl rapidly between the mountains (little si and big si). Eventually this goes all the way to ground and you can’t see much other than your own house, alone trapped with only your immediate family.

It’s a weird place. Out walking once we met an old lady who insisted on blessing my children. There are long time residents who go by, Peg Leg, Long John Silver, Walking Man. Once walking along the river (like a baseball’s throw from downtown) I saw a tall thin blonde woman bathing naked in the river. The head of Nintendo occasionally measures things around town when he visits the distribution center near town. You can find old signpost trees in the woods. About once a year the terrain or animals kill somebody hiking. And kids do die occasionally jumping off that railroad bridge.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

They aren't supposed to be 'soggy'. They are supposed to be soft, not crunchy.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I worked for 7 years at a pharmacy that still had and has a soda fountain from the late 19th century. it's got a variety of syrups and a carbonator and ice cream freezers and a hot-water dip well for the ice cream scoops. industrial-strength milkshake mixers, too.

one of the things we still had on hand when I started about 25 years ago was a tiny bottle of spirits of ammonia, in case anyone wanted an ammonia Coke, which is what it sounds like, except inasmuch as it's not the cleaning kind of ammonia. it was supposed to be a headache remedy.

nobody ever ordered one.

there's a writeup here:

https://www.artofdrink.com/soda/ammonia-coke

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Empty Sandwich posted:

I worked for 7 years at a pharmacy that still had and has a soda fountain from the late 19th century. it's got a variety of syrups and a carbonator and ice cream freezers and a hot-water dip well for the ice cream scoops. industrial-strength milkshake mixers, too.

one of the things we still had on hand when I started about 25 years ago was a tiny bottle of spirits of ammonia, in case anyone wanted an ammonia Coke, which is what it sounds like, except inasmuch as it's not the cleaning kind of ammonia. it was supposed to be a headache remedy.

nobody ever ordered one.

there's a writeup here:

Cat piss aromatics and Coca-Cola, a time-honored tradition.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Cat piss aromatics and Coca-Cola, a time-honored tradition.

I only realized in reading that writeup that it's mixing an acid and a base :science:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Empty Sandwich posted:

nobody ever ordered one.

there's a writeup here:

"Salty licorice" from Scandinavia tastes incredibly salty but isn't high in sodium because of the ammonium chloride they use in it, so ammonia in foods isn't unheard of in modern times.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

My mom is the youngest of 4 sisters.
I am an only child. Thus, the last kid of the last sister.

Her OLDEST sister, was diagnosed with diabetes at a time when giving insulin to yourself was available, but still a burden and awkward.
Now, I'm gonna cut to the chase here, her oldest sister decided "gently caress it" and lived her adult life like she wanted to. She was strongly intellectually oriented, loved star trek, Carl Sagan, and being an independent single woman who would not let anyone take care of her.
She owned her own home. And she always had a fondness for hotrods. Racing boys and blowing out glass pack exhausts on whatever car she could afford to put them on as long as my mom had known her.
She was also my mom's idol.

By the time I was born, she was sort of a ghost of herself, the 'betus taking a lot from her, but what I remember is that she still owned the house she bought. And my dad helped her cut her lawn (she did all the rest of her chores, mind you, and even some of the lawn) with a REEL mower. Note: I was born in '81, and I was old enough to remember all this poo poo, so we're talking 85-89 a single woman dying of diabetes taking care of her own property and chores using a push mower in the mid 80's and not because she HAD to, she demanded it. She had offers to move off the land, sell it, and the family could have done a number of things to change this. No dice.

Anyway, where I'm going with this is; I personally most remember my aunt because she still drove one of these:

And would come roaring up our country driveway to take me, a young kid between the ages of 4 and 7 years old to go get strawberry pancakes at Big Boy. My Favorite. And then drive me around in her spaceship car.

Aunt Jackie, I still miss ya.

So when I think of "Big Boy", I think of my aunt Jackie and rides in that car.

e: you're gonna laugh at it and make fun of me. That's no poo poo what happened. She stuck her whole life into a little house outside of nowheresville Midwest and somehow had that car (it might have been a 78 or 79) but it was no poo poo real. Just her, in a 'I'm NOT living in a trailer park' type house, and that car, with a reel mower, dead by diabetes by 45. Took me for rides in that poo poo to go get pancakes and talk about her and my moms love of star trek. A goon was born, baby.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 8, 2021

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
gently caress it. Sounds like she was living. L-I-V-I-N-'

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Tawny Kitaen just died. here's some Americana for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyF8RHM1OCg

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Big Beef City posted:

e: you're gonna laugh at it and make fun of me.

This is sad and sweet and a little poignant. I don't see what anybody would have to laugh at in that.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I tried but I can't find the speech from Clint Howard in Austin Powers talking about Big Boy.

Revins posted:

i have vague memories of eating at a big boy when i was a kid.

Me too. I just remember walking by the Big Boy statue thing but have no memory of the food. I must have been like 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

ZombyDog posted:

Dear Americana thread, after a train wreck of a month and the parade of foods contained herein, I broke down and made the family a meal of Biscuits and Gravy ( following this recipe), and it was divine.

Welcome to the fold. Absolutely the best hang over remedy out there. Sprinkle some tabasco on there to elevate them to real Americana levels.