Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

realizing that the only plot-focused game that has meaningful plot differences about the pc's gender is kotor 2 where the male pc is a surrogate brother to the handmaiden but the female pc is a surrogate mother to the disciple and wishing that death stranding had had a female sam option with a different game experience of whether a mother or a father had been robbed of their child

KOTOR 2 is good since the plotline is "Ha ha yes the jedi actually suck"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
need more musou games i wanna run around beating the poo poo outta thousands of dudes

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

where's my symphogear musou

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
nearing the final boss on re8 and gotta say while good it’s just about a midtier resi title
despite fixing some of the issues with 7 none of the various boss areas match the baker house or any of the main resi titles areas
capcom nails gun fun as ever though

Kitfox88 posted:

need more musou games i wanna run around beating the poo poo outta thousands of dudes

gimme a kens rage 2 hd remaster

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Are there any more updates Dad-co Elysium?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Horizon Zero Dawn is the best game I've ever played.

I sometimes just oause and look at how good the visuals are and im like goddamned like im watching nature

Robotic murderous nature

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Shageletic posted:

I sometimes just oause and look at how good the visuals are and im like goddamned like im watching nature

Robotic murderous nature

There's a reason Kojima sought that engine out after he had to abandon Fox engine to its cold, sad death

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Shageletic posted:

Robotic murderous nature

it really is greater than the sum of its parts

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Xaris posted:

i have not played it (i kind of want to, kind of don't) but everything ive heard is if you are not 100000% down with immersing yourself on drugs to sink into it wandering around Open-world Cowboy Movie doing Cowboy Things for Cowboy Sake for 200 hrs then you will probably not like it

I gave up on that game 20 hrs in I just dont have the patience for that of gaming anymore

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

related, i will stan than sekiro's plot and setting are unappreciated compared to the recognized all-time excellence of the combat and setpiece levels and boss fighte

idiot: “wow! cool narrative about mortality and the impermanence of life!”
game trying to make him understand its message: “wouldn’t it be hosed up if monkeys had swords”

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

Zil posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olYCsHuqjOo

I saw this and now you have to too

I was actually thinking yesterday how hilarious a gritty megaman game would be. I was wrong.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I've been playing RE8 and its very good so far but early on there was a combat encounter that was so brutal it forced me to lower the difficulty to progress and now that I have the encounters after that have felt a little too easy.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

hell ya im smoothed brained

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

AnEdgelord posted:

I've been playing RE8 and its very good so far but early on there was a combat encounter that was so brutal it forced me to lower the difficulty to progress and now that I have the encounters after that have felt a little too easy.
Yeah, I did the exact same. It feels very oddly balanced, when the next encounter to array that level of threat against you happens way later, when you’ve got guns to spare and ammo out your rear end.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
pretty sure that returnal is going to be easy goty 2021 for me, and now that i’ve just played the house segment where you get to listen to don’t fear the reaper on vinyl, goty confirmed

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Stairmaster posted:

Stop talking about disco Elysium you're making me think about my mortality

I haven't played it yet and won't be able to for a while (video games are not in my budget) and I'm paranoid about posting itt because every other page or so someone posts an image of DE text options and I DON'T WANT TO SEE THEM UNTIL I'M PLAYING THE GAME GODDAMMIT

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Filthy Hans posted:

I haven't played it yet and won't be able to for a while (video games are not in my budget) and I'm paranoid about posting itt because every other page or so someone posts an image of DE text options and I DON'T WANT TO SEE THEM UNTIL I'M PLAYING THE GAME GODDAMMIT

there's an easy way to fix that problem: playing the game :twisted:

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

AnEdgelord posted:

should've spared the time to git gud

imagine how many more lovely gamers there would be in the wild if Fromsoft put adjustable difficulty settings in their games

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Filthy Hans posted:

Fromsoft put adjustable difficulty settings in their games

They were called magic. And archery. And shields. And prosthetics.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The Pale is the final victory of nostalgia. Nothing new will be created, it'll just be humanity trapped in its own memories - the young not even in memories of their own. It is a literal interpretation of the world of media and art under capitalism.

yeah, it felt very much tied to the hauntology mark fisher talks about. every potential future is cancelled as we relive the same imagined past over and over again until we're all ground to dust.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Shear Modulus posted:

honestly i cant possibly explain the appeal of the cowboy/old west mythos. we all know it's significantly outlived the actual real-world historical sets out depicts in terms of years. i suspect it's simply due to it beng far more recognizable in it's historical proximity to the modern world vs samurai or knight-errant storytelling that it fully cribs from

part of it is that the western was one of the most dominant settings in american media for, like, 40 years. it was a common enough thing that we'll be getting throwbacks to it for generations. maybe the watchmen irony will bear out and the children of zoomers will be wondering why super heroes are so big in media when all they care about it their pirate vrs.

part of it, especially looking at red dead redemption, is that is the era of time where the archealogical stratification between pre and post industrial society is, where you can kinda draw a line in the sand and say that was like then and this is like now. that I think is always going to have some draw unless the post zoomer generation is just all about paleolithic settings and examining the moral conflicts that arise as tool use and agriculture overtakes eating dmt grass and bonobo all day loving.

it's also a time period that contains the peak of the guilded age so it's a setting that would good fit for games about class struggle and the oposition of inhuman capital and humans, ala once upon a time in the west or, like, zapata westerns or red westerns

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

loving LAME lol

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
why did america make their colonial frontier past into a mythological setting. why did this setting become popular worldwide after america became a cultural, economic and military superpower. its truly a mystery

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

I wanna smooch kim

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

palindrome posted:

Well for one I've never heard of that poo poo, and Clint Eastwood probably sucks. I have lived in a few "cowboy" states but the mystique just isn't there for me. I have nothing in common with GTA San Andreas "C.J." or GTA 5 Franklin, but I find them somewhat compelling. Cowboys were wage slaves of the mid 19th century, ignorant dumbasses that were owned by barbed wire and other such technological innovations. The fun part of the game is what, that your gun only has 6 rounds? Your car is a four-legged beast that needs food and to piss instead of gas? To hell with the screaming cowboy genre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvrZJ5C_Nwg

e: hell just make a Trigun/cowboy beebop anime game or something. all the non-US/UK countries do a better job imagining the medieval knight era, old west era, and space exploration era.

I would play the hell out of a game where I can summon a giant screaming cowboy Stand by whistling and doing fabulous dance moves

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Kitfox88 posted:

I wanna smooch kim

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
nodding stoically is more intimate than smooching, c'mon

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Excelzior posted:

I would play the hell out of a game where I can summon a giant screaming cowboy Stand by whistling and doing fabulous dance moves

I'm trying to figure out how a person could watch that video and decide it's an endorsement of traditional cowboy culture and coming up blank. the whole last part of the song is singing different countries that can coexist together lol

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
i've got the itch to go back and play some of the deadspace games

were any of the sequels decent?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

BULBASAUR posted:

i've got the itch to go back and play some of the deadspace games

were any of the sequels decent?

2 yes, 3 no.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

call of juarez 2 and 4 were cool

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

smarxist posted:

playing RDR2 for the first time and i never want to see snow again

who the gently caress decided slogging through a blizzard for an hour in tutorial mode would be a good introduction to a video game jesus christ

yeah, think I made it 2 hours maybe, was not for me.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

MeatwadIsGod posted:

nodding stoically is more intimate than smooching, c'mon

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I could never get anywhere far in RDR because im dog poo poo at twin stick aiming/shooting, but even when i pushed through it, i eventually ran out of steam at that mission where you hunt those guys down in the canyon relatively early on, went on to different things, and now every time i try to restart i hit the tutorial missions and the early stuff on the ranch and im bored to tears and quit

ive repeated this cycle at least three times

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

its an intentionally boring game

the online is pretty fun with friends but its been mostly left to die

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

World War Mammories posted:

game trying to make him understand its message: “wouldn’t it be hosed up if monkeys had swords”

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mercrom posted:

why did america make their colonial frontier past into a mythological setting. why did this setting become popular worldwide after america became a cultural, economic and military superpower. its truly a mystery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7-PNH0IDpg

CredulousAtBest
Oct 4, 2020
My name is CredulousAtBest. Glenn Greenwald constantly owning me has resulted in my prodromal schizophrenia, so please be polite when you deal with psychotic breaks and kindly nod to my unintelligible tripe.
Man Xcom 2 is so loving good. New campaign was a good call.

Gears Tactics sequel would own hard also. That ended up being waaaaay better than I thought it would. Really fun classes and mechanics in that game

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The RE8 baby sequence is one of the most terrifying things I've ever experienced holy poo poo. I'm actually having a really hard time playing through it and had to decompress for five minutes after every encounter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

World War Mammories posted:

idiot: linking the fire is merely another stopgap measure propogating a broken world at your expense.
true gamer philosopher: fire hot, snakes cool