Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

thetoughestbean posted:

https://youtu.be/hxPjYSay9g0 Someone posted this in a different thread and good lord it made me cringe

Jesus Christ that took a turn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Push El Burrito posted:

The only 90s sketch that held up was the guy that wanted to dip his balls in things.

“I’m squishing your head!” is timeless.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

hallo spacedog posted:

The 90s were the pinnacle of amazing sketch comedy shows but it feels like virtually every single one has a few really lovely sketches like that buried in them somewhere on virtue of being the 90s. The absolute definition of media not aging well.
That's a little endemic to every sketch comedy show. Everyone always sifts each one down to the highlight reels but actually trying to marathon even a single episode of any single sketch show is an exercise in frustration. Sketch comedy is so hard to make. Whiffs or premises that don't quite come together are so common, it's an outgrowth when the writers/performers are just leaning on reductive stereotypes that were acceptable easy targets at the time of production-- SNL knows this so hard they have it as a requirement that each cast member have a repertoire of easy celebrity impressions to lean on. Still painful to watch though.

I was rewatching the pre-9/11 episodes of The Sopranos and they hold up surprisingly well because good writing tends to remain good writing, but drat even by the "not much has really changed, deep down" standards of 2021 Hellworld, the open misogyny and racism of the characters can be hard to stomach. In some ways it honestly makes me assess the cowardice of other shows that gloss over those aspects of the criminal/sociopath characters, while the Sopranos wears those unlikable qualities out and proud as a neon signal spelling out "these people are the loving worst." I do think it helped people from idealizing Tony Soprano quite a bit relative to his many derivatives like Walter White or loving Thanos.

mind the walrus has a new favorite as of 20:52 on May 8, 2021

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Phylodox posted:

I still do that to this day.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Push El Burrito posted:

The only 90s sketch that held up was the guy that wanted to dip his balls in things. squish people's heads with force perspective through his thumb and forefinger.

e;
oh new page

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

mind the walrus posted:

I do think it helped people from idealizing Tony Soprano quite a bit relative to his many derivatives like Walter White or loving Thanos.

Tony Soprano was idolized while the show was on, but it was largely by the same people who thought Tony Montana from Scarface was a role model and lived a dream lifestyle.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

fartknocker posted:

Tony Soprano was idolized while the show was on, but it was largely by the same people who thought Tony Montana from Scarface was a role model and lived a dream lifestyle.
Please read the second half of my sentence. Relative to others he didn't quite get the same hero worship because it's a lot harder to make a suburban fatass who uses an Italian slur for black people regularly as "cool" as a coked out Pacino with a grenade launcher and a bomb-rear end poster.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’m not sure the show couldn’t resist making Tony cool between his bouts of self destruction. Got any girl he wanted just off shear charisma, Made the tough decisions and was powerful, hell even was more accepting than his subordinates.

If you want there is plenty there

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I know what a qualifier means and how it’s used.

It usually just ends up as a hedge for a weak point, like here as an example

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

My mistake. You see acting like you don't understand something gives the impression that you don't understand something.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Charlesthehammer’s gimmick is arbitrarily deciding what you mean then arguing that insistently against all evidence.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Captain Monkey posted:

Charlesthehammer’s gimmick is arbitrarily deciding what you mean then arguing that insistently against all evidence.
Turtles all the way down. There is no bottom to the "no you don't understand I really understood all along" layers we can bake into this cake.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Captain Monkey posted:

When all you have is a hammer, everything seems like a good time to be a tool

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

Relative to others he didn't quite get the same hero worship

I want to move to whatever fantasy world you live in where gross dudes don't treat Tony Soprano like the pinnacle of masculinity. I feel like the only reason people stopped thinking he was cool was because people thought the ending of the show sucked.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

rodbeard posted:

I want to move to whatever fantasy world you live in where gross dudes don't treat Tony Soprano like the pinnacle of masculinity. I feel like the only reason people stopped thinking he was cool was because people thought the ending of the show sucked.

Yeah, this. The reason I compared Tony Soprano to Tony Montana is you could not escape Sopranos/Scarface stuff among certain males 15-22 during the early to mid-00s, and both characters were very much viewed as something to aspire towards. If nothing else, both Tony's had a hell of a lot more merchandise sold bearing their likeness than Walter White.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GISsou_vaos

More like what were they thinking ads than anything else

Len has a new favorite as of 23:02 on May 8, 2021

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

fartknocker posted:

Yeah, this. The reason I compared Tony Soprano to Tony Montana is you could not escape Sopranos/Scarface stuff among certain males 15-22 during the early to mid-00s, and both characters were very much viewed as something to aspire towards. If nothing else, both Tony's had a hell of a lot more merchandise sold bearing their likeness than Walter White.

TBH both also at face value seem like much more competent on their job of running a criminal syndicate, than Walter White ever did. Montana obviously being the worse of the Tony's, but still miles ahead of Walter White who asspulls and stumbles into much of his fortunes.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Walter White didn't look cool until he put on a hat and got a catchphrase.

I mean, he started off looking like this:

And by season 4, he's more like:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Also the beard.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Push El Burrito posted:

The only 90s sketch that held up was the guy that wanted to dip his balls in things.

The State was awesome, but it didn't age well for an unusual reason. Back then MTV could use any of the music they played as the soundtrack to their shows. Synergy and branding and all that poo poo. However the licensing deals with the record companies did not extend to home video release, so the DVD release that eventually came out has lovely placeholder tracks. IIRC Daria suffered the same fate.

Oh, and their were some bits from the State that were directly mocking poo poo that was concurrently running on MTV. Things like parodies of PSAs that would play during commercial breaks. Those aged poorly because the context isn't there.

deoju has a new favorite as of 09:34 on May 10, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

deoju posted:

The State was awesome, but it didn't age well for an unusual reason. Back then MTV could use any of the music they played as the soundtrack to their shows. Synergy and branding and all that poo poo. However the licensing deals with the record companies did not extend to home video release, so the DVD release that eventually came out has lovely placeholder tracks. IIRC Daria suffered the same fate.

Oh, and their were some bits from the State that were directly mocking poo poo that was concurrently running on MTV. Things like parodies of PSAs that would play during commercial breaks. Those aged poorly because the context isn't there.

Daria, the State, and Beavis and Butthead all got hosed by losing the music rights. They’ve barely even tried to do rereleases of The State and Beavis and Butthead, and I think the last Daria release attempt was on DVD.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Phylodox posted:

Thing is, if you’re not eating out all the time, counting calories can be a bitch. Weighing out every ingredient, figuring out the caloric value of each portion of a homemade meal, etc. is tedious as gently caress.

The good thing is if you're making your own food, you're probably not going to put in nearly as much salt or sugar as the big brands do. You're using it at the "flavor" level whereas they're using it at the "preservative" level.

Edit: Just realized that applies more to "store bought" than to "eating out" but you get my drift.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Daria, the State, and Beavis and Butthead all got hosed by losing the music rights. They’ve barely even tried to do rereleases of The State and Beavis and Butthead, and I think the last Daria release attempt was on DVD.

and that's why

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The Daria set comes with an insert apologizing/explaining that they had to compromise on the music to in order to at least get the show on DVD at all.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

The Daria set comes with an insert apologizing/explaining that they had to compromise on the music to in order to at least get the show on DVD at all.

I’m lucky that I’m a big enough fan to have bought that set, but the music doesn’t make much difference to me. I watched it as a young kid, maybe 10. Up here in Canada it aired on our equivalent to Cartoon Network and I wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t have the music rights in the first place.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Arivia posted:

I’m lucky that I’m a big enough fan to have bought that set, but the music doesn’t make much difference to me. I watched it as a young kid, maybe 10. Up here in Canada it aired on our equivalent to Cartoon Network and I wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t have the music rights in the first place.

Yeah considering the last time I watched the series it was via the jankiest bootleg set of files, some which were Real Player videos for chrissakes, I took what I could get.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Phylodox posted:

Would you kill the children for laughing? Would ya?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Still wild to me that the people from The State of all shows became so influential in comedy. They were everywhere for a good while there.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Arivia posted:

I watched it on Noggin in junior high and I don't remember whether or not it had the music but the Days of Summer marathons were one of the best parts of that summer

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Len posted:

I watched it on Noggin in junior high and I don't remember whether or not it had the music but the Days of Summer marathons were one of the best parts of that summer

Based on the :filez: I watched years ago the Noggin version had the songs.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Push El Burrito posted:

Still wild to me that the people from The State of all shows became so influential in comedy. They were everywhere for a good while there.

The state was hit or miss like all sketch shows, but Reno 911 had the highest hit rate of any sketch show I've seen

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

hawowanlawow posted:

The state was hit or miss like all sketch shows, but Reno 911 had the highest hit rate of any sketch show I've seen

Another great example of some amazing sketches and ensemble stuff peppered throughout with some things that aged poorly. Overall still really good and funny though.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Push El Burrito posted:

This one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzP_VAFHkZE

Bonus factoid: This features a goon

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

BrigadierSensible posted:

This one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzP_VAFHkZE

Bonus factoid: This features a goon

But no

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrmZAXezkhA

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's been fan attempts at restoring Daria's original music, but they're pretty janky and incomplete.

I watched it on an Australian network and iirc it had the original music, but quite possibly the RIAA didn't care about that.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Had a random one earlier.

The movie "Blank Check"
Namely the idea that a mere million bucks would afford you a state of the art super-mansion.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

He gave an interview talking about how his kids found this sketch and kept repeating it at the playground.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Northern Exposure on DVD is another one super messed up by music rights issues. I think that may also be why it's never streamed anywhere. Still a really great show but it's really frustrating knowing you're missing a solid chunk of its original identity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

Mr Show I think?