Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Silver Falcon posted:

There's a couple quests in GU involving Tigrex that reference that poem, and because of that I will always think of Tigrex is Tie-grex, pronounced like tiger, and not Tee-grex which seems to be the "official" way to pronounce it.

This is the hill I will die on.
Tidus the Tigrex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Oxyclean posted:

what happens every time a hammer user launches someone?

they get commended because chances are if they launched someone it's because that person was in the way of them hitting the head

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

PoptartsNinja posted:

If Duramboros is Hammer, Qurupeco is Hunting Horn, Glavenus is Greatsword, Acidic Glavenus is Longsword, Goss Harag is sword and shield Dual Blades, and Velkhana is Lance, then Magnamalo is Gunlance. :colbert:

Cannot believe you didn't mention Seltas Queen and Seltas as Insect Glaive :colbert:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Yes, but who is Tonfas?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Yes, but who is Tonfas?
Brachydios?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Tekopo posted:

In the calculator I am using the values given on Status, so they include the weaponcharm/talon and all the skills already. Affinity is base affinity + WEx. Damage for the tigrex hammer is just higher, by a lot.

EDIT: I think the above doesn't take into consideration CB. Even with CB, the damage for Narga is 420.7896, while the one for Tigrex is 432.5476. Even if you manage to get 100% affinity for Narga (which gives it 426 damage), the Tigrex hammer should still edge it out.

Not saying I don't believe you because I didn't use any damage calculators, it's just that when I compared the 2 hammers in the training room (attack boost 7, crit eye 3, wex 3, CB3, MT3 with attack ramp up on narga, against crit eye 7, attack boost 2, wex 3, CB3, MT3 on tigrex with the affinity ramp up), the narga hammer gave me bigger total numbers each time except for once when the tigrex hammer crit on every hit when comparing the big bang combo and the impact crater

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Not saying I don't believe you because I didn't use any damage calculators, I just compared the 2 hammers in the training room (attack boost 7, crit eye 3, wex 3, CB3, MT3 with attack ramp up on narga, against crit eye 7, attack boost 2, wex 3, CB3, MT3 on tigrex with the affinity ramp up) and the narga hammer gave me bigger total numbers each time except for once when the tigrex hammer crit on every hit when comparing the big bang combo and the impact crater
I forgot to mention that the upgrade path on the Tigrex hammer allows you to get Silkbind boost that is a damage up on the Impact Hammer. You have to rollback the hammer to get it though.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Tekopo posted:

I forgot to mention that the upgrade path on the Tigrex hammer allows you to get Silkbind boost that is a damage up on the Impact Hammer. You have to rollback the hammer to get it though.

Yeah, that's unusually good for hammer because so much of its damage is done through impact craters. Also, Master's Touch isn't terribly valuable for hammer because it goes through sharpness so slowly anyway, so you would likely see more overall damage by dropping it for more attack boost or some wirebug whisperer or whatnot.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yeah I think generally getting the AB5 over AB2/MT3 is better for the tigrex hammer. Coupled with the silkbind boost I'm getting 112/841 for impact hammer on the dummy's head on crits, and 80/600 on non-crits. Narga with 100% affinity and AB7 did 93/696. Calculating the average gives you 1742 damage (with max damage 1906 if all four hits crit and min damage 1360, although it's unlikely) on impact hammer for the silkbind boost tigrex vs 1578 for narga. Outside of impact hammer, damage is actually quite even for both hammers, actually, according to the values in the training area at least.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 8, 2021

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Huh, just had a weird Apex Mizutsune hunt where someone grabbed and rode a Barioth into the Apex Mizutsune and pretty much insta-gibbed it? I was collecting spiribirds since it was the start of the hunt I initiated, so I missed the action but came in just as the monster exhausted and died.

I don't know if it was a fluke, or an exploit someone was taking advantage of, or what, but it was very odd. If I hadn't initiated the quest I would have thought I just came in towards the end, but that obviously wasn't the case.

Anyone else have that happen?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

what happens every time a hammer user launches someone?

An angel gets its wings.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

PoptartsNinja posted:

If Duramboros is Hammer, Qurupeco is Hunting Horn, Glavenus is Greatsword, Acidic Glavenus is Longsword, Goss Harag is sword and shield Dual Blades, and Velkhana is Lance, then Magnamalo is Gunlance. :colbert:

Valstrax is Gunlance

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Hang on has SnS always been able to back step out of a roll?

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Not sure how far back "always" goes but it worked in world and has worked in rise since day 1.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

DoctorWhat posted:

Valstrax is Gunlance

Valstrax is the Blast Dash skill specifically given physical form and a tank of experimental jet fuel.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
An underrated piece of the puzzle for "getting" mh is the hour you spend trying to squeeze one more point of a level 2 skill into a build for basically no reason but completion sake.

Shuffling around bits you have convinced Attack 4 has to be somewhere in this pile of monster guts

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Was looking for something else to play while waiting on the next Rise update and came across this neat Gunlance mod for World: Schinkikamis Reworked Gunlance.

TA rules AT Velkhana run with the mod - the description goes into some of the changes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0MPWC0bUGI

Looks pretty neat, gonna give it a shot.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 13:51 on May 9, 2021

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

I fired up 4U today because I was feeling nostalgic and, honestly? Still holds up. Game's good

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

wish 4u would get ported to the switch that poo poo seems cool

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Nothing like practicing a weapon solo on Magnamalo and being like wow I’m much worse at this game than I thought

Oddly enough I find some of the elders easier practice than him for new weapons although I wouldn’t say they’re easier fights

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

I'm going to give up on gen u again and maybe finally. the character still feels too clumsy even 100+ hours in and not being able to absolute evasion after getting up has been chafing my nuts. I'd rather stick with monster fighter 5 than deal with any old stuff anymore

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love

EightFlyingCars posted:

I fired up 4U today because I was feeling nostalgic and, honestly? Still holds up. Game's good

I've been thinking about doing this, both because I miss a bunch of the 4th gen monsters that haven't returned yet, and because from what I remember, I feel like 4u had a better sense of progression through the village quests than Gen or Rise, but without being a full on cinematic story mode like World, and I want to know how much those memories hold up.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Davedave24 posted:

I've been thinking about doing this, both because I miss a bunch of the 4th gen monsters that haven't returned yet, and because from what I remember, I feel like 4u had a better sense of progression through the village quests than Gen or Rise, but without being a full on cinematic story mode like World, and I want to know how much those memories hold up.

Can't claim your memories of it will hold up as I don't know, but it did definitely have a better sense of story progression than those two games. You get drip fed the new villages/areas and they do a good job of building up Gore Magala in the lore

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Davedave24 posted:

it does have more than Gen or Rise, but it's still very superficial. Game holds up though, and is absolutely worth a revisit! I played through it again from a new file all the way through G rank last year and it was a ton of fun.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"

Davedave24 posted:

I play it every once in a while. It absolutely holds up, and the cinematic intros for the monsters are my favorite they’ve done. Rise’s poems are a close second though

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010
I got a talisman with Rapid Morph 3 with 3/2 slots, I feel like this is a sign to try Switch Axe, is there a dummy's guide to this thing? I watched a video on the mechanics of it but it didn't really go into how to actually use the thing. Do I want to be in sword mode as much as possible? What're the good combos?

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

ArcticZombie posted:

I got a talisman with Rapid Morph 3 with 3/2 slots, I feel like this is a sign to try Switch Axe, is there a dummy's guide to this thing? I watched a video on the mechanics of it but it didn't really go into how to actually use the thing. Do I want to be in sword mode as much as possible? What're the good combos?

I've only played a few hunts with it but AFAIK the best combo with rapid morph 3 is just morphing back and forth with an A attack thrown in.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Achmed Jones posted:

could someone give me some tips on using the dragon punch for sns? it seems worse than windmill to me because i don't know how to use it, and i don't know what the "guard point" that the tip pop up mentioned even is

hi i'm ignorant please send help

TBH it's strictly worse (other than cool factor) if you're not going for the "counter" multi-tick hit consistently. I don't really feel like either of these moves should have been 2 bugs.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Hang on has SnS always been able to back step out of a roll?

It did in World at least

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 9, 2021

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

ArcticZombie posted:

Use the axe to build the first meter, switch to sword to build the second meter, then party down with the ZR ZR A combo previously mentioned. Finish with the X+A move and remember to mash during it, then top it off with the Advancing Slash switch skill if you have enough of an opening. It’s a pretty simple weapon honestly.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Deified Data posted:

TBH it's strictly worse (other than cool factor) if you're not going for the "counter" multi-tick hit consistently. I don't really feel like either of these moves should have been 2 bugs.

It did in World at least

thank you for saying that - i _try_ to go for counters, but I have a terrible time judging distance. I land maybe one or two per fight. half the time when I do land a counter, it knocks the monster back far enough that the falling hits don't connect. as much as i love that extra thing to do during fights, windmill just seems to do more damage in my unskilled hands. totally agreed that 2 bugs seems too much for either of 'em

i got a gunlance that's an ear of corn and now i'm strongly considering leaving sns behind for corn-based attacks. but i love sns :(

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

ArcticZombie posted:

With rapid morph you want to abuse the morph attacks, which will be the best dps as they come out so quickly with the skill

When in sword mode press A to do the double swipe, then ZR to morph into axe which will be a double axe swing, ZR to morph back into sword mode which will be a single swing, then repeat back to the A double sword swing

So when in sword mode: A, ZR, ZR, A, ZR, ZR

Pretty simple. You can throw in a second A attack after the first to fill your gauge. Or you can discharge instead which also fills it up. Need a big opening for both. The soaring wyven blade bug art is also good for filling gauge.

Heres a vid of someone using the combo to great effect

https://youtu.be/oeqSkwviPaI

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

they get commended because chances are if they launched someone it's because that person was in the way of them hitting the head
I've literally been slapped out of the air by a hammer as IG.

Does hammer even have combos they get flinched out of these days? It seems like it's mostly about the crater silkbind thing.

Hammer would be the new LS in terms of inconveniencing other hunters if more the like 5 people played it in MP.

e: Been starting to run into afkers in rampages. Seems real lame. I dont know if one had a bad connection or something, but they'd literally place themselves in harms way and be idle, or at least have the idle icon (the closed/no entry icon)...and they did it like, multiple times. At first I assumed it was an emergency AFK, but after they fainted I found them right back in the rampage, getting slapped around again while doing nothing. Ended up ending by sub-assignment because like hell I'm going to farm out a rampage for someone not only AFK but like, fainting on purpose?

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 9, 2021

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Oxyclean posted:

I've literally been slapped out of the air by a hammer as IG.

Does hammer even have combos they get flinched out of these days? It seems like it's mostly about the crater silkbind thing.

Hammer would be the new LS in terms of inconveniencing other hunters if more the like 5 people played it in MP.

e: Been starting to run into afkers in rampages. Seems real lame. I dont know if one had a bad connection or something, but they'd literally place themselves in harms way and be idle, or at least have the idle icon (the closed/no entry icon)...and they did it like, multiple times. At first I assumed it was an emergency AFK, but after they fainted I found them right back in the rampage, getting slapped around again while doing nothing. Ended up ending by sub-assignment because like hell I'm going to farm out a rampage for someone not only AFK but like, fainting on purpose?

It's a good reason to host rampages. You can kick players, and I've done it several times to AFKers.

Toastymcfly
Mar 21, 2008
So, played and loved monster hunter world. I beat the "main" game, and got a fair way through hard content but petered out around there. Looking for a new time sink on the switch, so is Rise worth it? Or should I just go back to World and get the DLC? I know the answer is probably "up to you!" ha ha, but just wanted to get some input by people who have played both. Are there enough changes/new experiences in Rise to warrant a purchase of a whole new game?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Toastymcfly posted:

So, played and loved monster hunter world. I beat the "main" game, and got a fair way through hard content but petered out around there. Looking for a new time sink on the switch, so is Rise worth it? Or should I just go back to World and get the DLC? I know the answer is probably "up to you!" ha ha, but just wanted to get some input by people who have played both. Are there enough changes/new experiences in Rise to warrant a purchase of a whole new game?

Rise is good. Really, really good. I bounced pretty hard off of world, but rise has drawn me in very solidly.

Probably the biggest change, and the best change, is the wirebug. You can climb arbitrary walls, jump through the air, jump in the air, and there are lots of little goodies scattered around the maps that give you small stat buffs or one-shot consumables that will provide things like a healing aura, a status aura, blight an enemy, etc.

Mounting also entails actually riding the monsters now, which lets you smash them into each other for lots of damage and knockdowns. I've put a couple hundred hours into the game, and I still enjoy slamming a Rajang into things.

Wirebugs can also be spent on things that are like hunter arts from GU, which adds a lot of fun little intricacies to the combat, especially since they also provide a quick recovery from most attacks. You have a bit of a risk/reward there, as spending them for damage is great, but not having any bugs when you need them can be lethal. Some of the skills are also counterattacks too, so sometimes you use them preemptively to avoid damage.

I love the exploration, I love the verticality, and the combat is really fun. It's a great game in my experience, and the monster hunter that has drawn me in the most thus far.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Davedave24 posted:

The game gives you key quests one at a time instead of dumping them all on you at once in one big pile, so it feels more like Things Are Happening as you go through the game instead of just puttering around doing whatever and then oh poo poo!! rampage!!! out of nowhere like in Rise.

I forgot how deliberate you have to be in old school MonHun between the stiffness of your movement and how aggressively you bounce off of hard hitzones, but after face rolling in Rise for a hundred hours it's kind of a nice change of pace!

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Toastymcfly posted:

I bounced off of 3U in HR but am like HR65 or something in this one and I keep finding myself coming back and playing some hunts here and there. The silkbugs and the little QoL stuff they dumped in this one goes a long way. It's real good.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I started playing MH in World and picked up GU recently and honestly, even if it's a bit rough around the edges in terms of the QoL updates that there were in World/Rise, game is still a lot of fun. Just entered HR and probably the most interesting thing is how warped my perception of certain monsters is due to having fought them at either Master or HR in World/Rise. I'd recommend GU if you want to have something to tide you over, and some of the monsters in it are really fun to fight.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Toastymcfly posted:

Rise is the best game on the Nintendo Switch.

You can't go wrong either way though, Iceborne is a ton of good content. Specifically to your question though, yes, Rise is different enough to warrant a full purchase. I was on a MHW bender for months before rise. Got a new character slot to 600+hrs a few weeks before Rise came out. I thought I'd be burned out, but Rise felt completely fresh. I'm 200 hrs in Rise now, and still want to play it all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Teostra raining gems on me but Bazel being real stingy.