Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Don’t forget smoke and CO alarms. If not in the garage, within the building.

Our house was a B&B before we bought it and they were required to put extinguishers EVERYWHERE. I’ve got 4 in the shop, ABC type, plus one in or just outside every bedroom and the kitchen. I buy a couple new extinguishers every year and rotate them into circulation; the old ones go in the garage next to the workbench. Those have a way of being donated to people/vehicles/cabins/boats as a ‘better than nothing’ option.

Along the same lines, a secondary escape is a good idea. One door and no windows could be a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I only have 3 extinguishers, I should get more.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

I only have 3 extinguishers, I should get more.

Yes. I run 2-3 per work area in the shop, kitchen, office, and one near the bed.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

cursedshitbox posted:

Yes. I run 2-3 per work area in the shop, kitchen, office, and one near the bed.

arent all these the same like 8x10 space? no wonder you need so much payload capacity with that many extinguishers

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Raluek posted:

arent all these the same like 8x10 space? no wonder you need so much payload capacity with that many extinguishers

only 2 3lb onboard the truck. Hard to hide a 10lber in the current setup. I'll grab two when I grab a trailer.
House was 1040sqft with a 1040sqft shop below it.

E: VVV I've bought these in the past https://www.ebay.com/itm/261689144467

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 8, 2021

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

cursedshitbox posted:

I have kitchen, garage and basement. There's one the POs left that is upstairs but it's old. I'll grab some off Amazon tonight.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I've got a 5 pounder in my kitchen and thats it.
If I ever need more than that there is a fire hose just down the hall in my building that'll probably reach my unit. Assuming its only a kitchen fire.

So in other words, if I set my kitchen on fire and the 5 pounder doesn't put it out, I'm calling 911 and running for the hills cause gently caress that poo poo!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Do you put a CO monitor in the actual garage? Cause that went off constantly and stayed on for a long while after just starting the car.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I do, but we also DD an EV. Otherwise you want it just inside the house by the door.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Advent Horizon posted:

I do, but we also DD an EV. Otherwise you want it just inside the house by the door.

OK, I do have them all across the house, but yeah, I did find in the manual that it says you're not supposed to put the carbon monoxide detector into the garage. The gas car is still the one in the garage cause it's newer and more valuable.

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007
Just had my garage painted and floor grind/ epoxied.

Before:

After:

Contractor worked last week when temps and humidity were brutal. Thankfully today was cooler and he was able to finish it.

Now I have to get some new shelves and put all my poo poo back in. Going to hopefully purge a lot of it so it doesn't look like a storage locker with 2 cars jammed in.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Nice! Looks great

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Been building a new house. That means a new garage for me too! Its roughly 50x40, post frame construction, 16’ ceilings, 3 bays. 2 of the doors are 12’x12’, one is 14’ high. Should be able to park my camper inside. Its getting a 200 amp service, sadly no three phase on this road. Eventually I will insulate and line the walls.

Anyways they just poured concrete today. Its 5” throughout except for some 4x4 pads in one of the bays that are 7-8” deep.

I also got the go ahead to order a 2 post lift today. Without doing any research, I ordered a 12k atlas thats “ALI certified”. Their warehouse, formerly greg smith equipment, is a couple hours away. Heres to hoping I don’t die trying to self install or while using it. I looked at bend pak and challenger too but they were much more expensive. Probably for a reason, but I am not going to be using it day in and day out.

I cant wait to not have to lie on my back anymore. It seems like every service starts from underneath. Anyway just wanted to share.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Very cool rdb!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Oh, that's purdy.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

White/grey accent wall buddies! You made me realize that I haven’t accounted for the support pole, so now I’m looking for a decent in-line filter regulator so I can use the really nice hvlp spray gun I got from my dad’s workshop. I was gonna go with the same grey but I do like the idea of a hi-viz color.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I picked up the lift yesterday. If anyone is in the market, greg smith equipment is no longer greg smith equipment. They used to be known for decent low cost Chinese imports. Its some company called IWS now. I think they sell under a half dozen names. They closed the showroom too but were nice enough to let me look around. I would still tentatively recommend them, but its going to be a few weeks before I get it set up.

The lift I bought is blue. This is their Indianapolis warehouse.

It would probably fit ok on a smaller trailer. Maybe a smaller lift would fit in the back of a truck. We will see what assembly is like.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I just moved into a new house with a new garage and I'm trying to figure out how to best maximize my space and storage. It's a 3 car with a couple extra feet to one side where I put my workbench and tools. I plan to park 2 cars in it. One is 189" long and the other 203" but also has a hitch and my bike rack on it that will add a little bit. Plan to have a couple things behind the shorter car like jacks and jack stands that I don't really want to have off the floor. Otherwise, I need to hang some yard stuff like rakes, shovels, blower, etc. Anybody have a recommended wall mount system they really like? In the 3rd bay I'd like to have my mountain bike and kids bikes if there isn't some super convenient system that exists to get them off the floor (they can go to the basement in the winter otherwise), trash cans and strollers/wagons for the kids. Open to suggestions is there's any better way to store or organize these things. Other bonus is that the garage is super tall, like 11' or so. I might want to build some shelves or something in there for storage but have not looked into it enough to figure out what to do yet. Any suggestions?

Not used to having this much space and not sure what to do with it at this point.

quick and dirty MSpaint definitely not to scale.

casque
Mar 17, 2009

Nice username/post combo!

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Garagejournal is your friend, lots of good ideas on there.

Ceiling mounted bicycle pulleys are cheap and work well, there are fancier options that use an electric pulley. There are ceiling mounted storage racks if you have the headroom. I'd put a floor to ceiling shelf in the unused bay filled with totes and utilize the ceiling and wall space.

The Rubbermaid garage track system gets a lot of praise.

Bulk Vanderhuge fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 4, 2021

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Well I finally got around to organizing my garage, and building a workbench to replace the lovely metal table (to low, to narrow, and not long enough). Took about 2 days, I work slowly and did the whole move everything outside / move everything back inside bit.

The workbench is just 2x4's lagged to the studs at the back and side, one 4x4 post, and 2x4 frame underneath. Topped with 3/4" plywood, now that prices have started to come down. Made a few shelves with spare wood I had kicking around, will probably make more eventually. Stole the tool mounting idea from somewhere (I think it was someone in this very thread) - it's just 4" PVC pipe with a slot cut in it.

Much happier with it now - better organized, more room to work, etc. Next step will be better lighting over the work bench area.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

TrueChaos posted:

Much happier with it now - better organized, more room to work, etc. Next step will be better lighting over the work bench area.

That dremel stand is a good idea, with how often I use mine I should rig something like that up. Looks good

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

devmd01 posted:

White/grey accent wall buddies! You made me realize that I haven’t accounted for the support pole, so now I’m looking for a decent in-line filter regulator so I can use the really nice hvlp spray gun I got from my dad’s workshop. I was gonna go with the same grey but I do like the idea of a hi-viz color.

yo we doing white and gray garages?

Pretend that little stripe in the second picture continues on the far wall. We hadn't finished that part yet.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Looks nice! I didn’t even think about a stripe, but honestly the walls were in such terrible shape that I definitely would not have had patience to put one in. Funny you should quote this now, because I finally got around to painting the post this weekend. Just need to hit it with a couple rounds of clear coat and that’s one more thing off the list.

I have some more lighting arriving today for the workbench area, it should brighten that space up more than it already is with the existing light I put in.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The 2 tone walls is giving my ideas for when we paint the garage. And I love that pvc pipe tool hanger a few posts back.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

NitroSpazzz posted:

That dremel stand is a good idea, with how often I use mine I should rig something like that up. Looks good

It actually came with my dremel, and it's definitely really useful. I need to weigh the base down with something though.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

sharkytm posted:

Long time to come back to this, but I got everything wired up tonight. Switch, receptacle, all connected. Aaaand, yeah, it needs a RIB. Everything works great with the switch on. With the switch off, however, if the pressure switch closes, the other phase from the other side of the 208V coil end up feeding the receptacle. Which means the valve opens and the drain fires every 45 minutes. Whoops. It's either a RIB or a 120V coil. The coil is $150. The RIB is $10. RIB it is!

Quoting myself. The US Solid actuated valve has already failed. It will wind up, but can't open the valve under pressure any more. If I give it a wiggle, it'll break free and open, but that kind of defeats the purpose. Anyone have a better option on a 120VAC actuated valve with auto-close?

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

sharkytm posted:

Quoting myself. The US Solid actuated valve has already failed. It will wind up, but can't open the valve under pressure any more. If I give it a wiggle, it'll break free and open, but that kind of defeats the purpose. Anyone have a better option on a 120VAC actuated valve with auto-close?

That sucks. Without getting into trolling ebay for $gently caress industrial poo poo, look at taco zone sentrys e.g https://www.supplyhouse.com/Taco-V075T2A2ZALNVE2A1-3-4-Zone-Sentry-Valve-Normally-Closed-Multi-Volt-Threaded Never used one for compressed air, but I've had good luck with them on chillers and the like. They are capacitor based, not spring return.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Asco redhat 8210 series. You might be able to get a decent deal on one and they are sort of the defacto standard for industrial usage up here. Quite reliable.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Upgraded the lighting in the third bay/workbench area. Previously it was one of those tri-wing led screw-in deals but since it was just from one spot there were shadows here and there. Took the last fixture out of the pack of six and also extended the existing lighting underneath the hvac expansion bulkhead. There aren’t any shadows now!

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Aug 19, 2021

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Anybody else have a snack station?

My wife’s old college fridge, some sodas (and beers, not shown), and a rotating selection of snacks.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Hands are usually too dirty for that. I barely drink anything when I'm out there unless it's ungodly hot.

Nice if you have the space though.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I've got a half gallon water bottle for garage use and a magnetic can koozie from Grind Hard Plumbing Co for garage beers.

This but the old pink version

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
HOA prez stopped by, we did a walk through of my shed options. Shouldn't be a problem to put it where I want. Because we don't have a neighbor on one side I can put the back of the shed all the way to the property line without an issue since it borders the nature path and river connection. Hoping to still make the shed happen this year so I can get the garage sorted out.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Rhyno posted:

HOA prez stopped by, we did a walk through of my shed options. Shouldn't be a problem to put it where I want. Because we don't have a neighbor on one side I can put the back of the shed all the way to the property line without an issue since it borders the nature path and river connection. Hoping to still make the shed happen this year so I can get the garage sorted out.

As a new shed owner myself, I hope you do too. Freeing up the space felt great.

It's all full of new junk now.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
I got a quote for an epoxy garage floor coating of about $7.50/ft2, is that insane? To do my 520ft2 garage in their "Epoxy base + Flake + Polyaspartic top coat", it would be about $4k.

edit: I guess some more searching seems to put that about right

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

mik posted:

I got a quote for an epoxy garage floor coating of about $7.50/ft2, is that insane? To do my 520ft2 garage in their "Epoxy base + Flake + Polyaspartic top coat", it would be about $4k.

How established is the company and what sort of warranty do they provide? My understanding of those coatings is that the prep work is important as well as the quality of the epoxy they put down. Interested to hear more dollar figures and opinions from people as it's something I could see myself wanting done one day.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

tangy yet delightful posted:

How established is the company and what sort of warranty do they provide? My understanding of those coatings is that the prep work is important as well as the quality of the epoxy they put down. Interested to hear more dollar figures and opinions from people as it's something I could see myself wanting done one day.

Definitely an established company that does commercial, industrial and residential applications. They're the only choice in my area so I can't really shop around, and I'm sure their price reflects that somewhat.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

mik posted:

Definitely an established company that does commercial, industrial and residential applications. They're the only choice in my area so I can't really shop around, and I'm sure their price reflects that somewhat.

Substrate adherence is critical, so it's good to go with a company that does industrial work. Did they talk about the quality of your substrate? An industrial company probably also does slurry bases, which is the way I'd go for an epoxy floor. It'd cost several dollars per square foot more, but it'd be bombproof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

mik posted:

Just for a point of reference, I had my ~450 sq ft garage done for $1-1.5k at my old house in the midwest. They ground the concrete, and put down the color and flakes, I don't believe there was any top coat. It came out pretty decent but it did start to pull up in one spot after a couple years where one of my wife's car tires was parked on frequently. Not grippy tires (A/S and snows in winter) so not sure what happened with it or why. Was only there for 3-4 years after getting it done and it held up well otherwise.