Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sair posted:

This is honestly better than the first season.

I honestly feel that part of this is because it's not (ahem) pulling its punches. Letting the heroes fail sells the bleaker, more tragic elements of the world and creates a sense of genuine peril that makes their victories sweeter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
BD sales have become kind of a weak indicator of popularity, since I want to say overall sales have been trending down.

Which kinda sucks because physical media is something I'm rapidly getting back into as I realize how much stuff is flat out not getting 4k or even 1080p transfers on physical media in lieu of being streamed in poo poo quality.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fabricated posted:

BD sales have become kind of a weak indicator of popularity, since I want to say overall sales have been trending down.

Which kinda sucks because physical media is something I'm rapidly getting back into as I realize how much stuff is flat out not getting 4k or even 1080p transfers on physical media in lieu of being streamed in poo poo quality.

There has been a decline overall, and it's not always a direct way to find a show's success (for example, Vinland Saga got poor Blu Ray sales, but really good TV ratings, and the manga seemed to get a sales boost), but it's widely available data and you can compare like to like within a year to get a little more context.

Megalobox sold about 364 discs on average per volume. Meanwhile, the new Full Metal Panic that year sold 3,738, the abysmal Gundam Build Divers managed 1,142 (and that had twice as many episodes to bring down the average), Hisone to Masotan got 788, Planet With hit 1,363, and for some of the big original hits of the year, you have A Place Further Than The Universe at nearly 14K a volume, and Gridman at 10K.

(To balance things out, Granbelm sold 252 discs on average, and Juushinki Pandora barely scraped to 155. Megalobox didn't fail dramatically or anything. It was just one of the many shows that didn't make a big splash when it came to home video.)

Again, I'm not trying to say that Blu Ray is a be all and end all. It's just one way a show can succeed, and if that doesn't bring in much money but the show still gets a sequel, it's probably doing well with another revenue source. And since Megalobox didn't have much merch or an original manga to sell (well, it had Ashita No Joe as a loose inspiration, but I figure that one didn't need the help), I think streaming is a likely source here.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
gently caress, just got around to watching the latest episode, and i'm at the point where i feel confident saying this is one of the most interesting second seasons of a series i've ever seen

the way this builds on everything in the first season in such a natural way while going with a wildly different tone to the point it's almost an entirely different genre is just some great stuff

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
This show is really not pulling its punches, no pun intended. This episode was rough. I hope it’s building up to a redemption. It feels like it, but you never know.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
This is just to survive. There's no shame in surviving.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Squidster posted:

This is just to survive. There's no shame in surviving.

:hai:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Show good

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Caught up with the last two episodes.

Maaaaaaaan. Interesting to see where this goes. To echo FilthyImp above, I hope we get back to the immigrants as a group to help heal the break in Joe/the kids' relationship. Also, Sachio grew up to be a little poo poo. I mean, all his actions are wholly understandable, but he learned one of the hardest lessons a kid can learn. Adults are just as dumb, selfish, and emotionally fragile as kids are. I learned that at 16. Sachio was a lot younger.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

A more light hearted episode after the past few

wonder what Mac's deal is? I thought he might be another person inspired by Joe, but ending the episode with him smiling at Joe while someone notes he's staring pretty hard makes me think there's more there.

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost

Electric Phantasm posted:

A more light hearted episode after the past few

wonder what Mac's deal is? I thought he might be another person inspired by Joe, but ending the episode with him smiling at Joe while someone notes he's staring pretty hard makes me think there's more there.

go back and watch the start of episode 1

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Chair In A Basket posted:

go back and watch the start of episode 1

Man I'm dumb, though that was Chief this whole time :doh:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I binged this to catch up to it so this was a pleasantly lighthearted episode comparatively. Liu got what he wanted without any fuss really and it helped revitalize Joe. I'm interested to see where it goes with Mac, he's a very sympathetic figure, and a lot more interesting than Liu in a lot of ways. This is definitely a more confident season that the first. While events are still analogous to events in Ashita no Joe they're way more removed entirely to the betterment of this show. I'm really impressed with this season.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Man I'm dumb, though that was Chief this whole time :doh:

Same here!

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
:same:

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

drat that was a hype episode. Once again Megalobox a sleeper hit imo

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Well, there's no moe or transformations and it's not an isekai, etc. etc. I love this show, but it's definitely aiming for a small, but dedicated fanbase. Surprising that it has the high production values it has.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Welp this arc is gonna have me lightly terrified for the remainder of it.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Yeah, I might need to back down from where this will take us. :stare:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I am extremely glad that that Mac Time didn't go where I was hoping it wouldn't go.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah that was a terrifying few seconds

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost

Ibblebibble posted:

I am extremely glad that that Mac Time didn't go where I was hoping it wouldn't go.

Still more episodes remaining.

Chair In A Basket fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 24, 2021

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

I mean, this seems like a pretty clear worst-case scenario. The dude's 'superpower' comes from traumatic brain damage forcing his artificial nervous system into autopilot and letting him surpass human strength and speed. We've got a tech CEO with a messiah complex weaponising concussions to create the ultimate boxer and make a poorly-disguised blood sport even more hideously unsafe than it already was. poo poo is pretty seriously dark.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Sindai posted:

Yeah that was a terrifying few seconds

It was really well done, I thought. I'm really enjoying this season and I'm kind of concerned what's going to happen to Joe in the end.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Outside of that particular bit, man I feel really bad for Yuri here. He didn't do anything wrong, he didn't hesitate for even a moment to throw in the towel, and it just didn't matter because it all happened so quickly that it couldn't be stopped.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

I was clenching so hard thinking that

Chair In A Basket posted:

Still more episodes remaining.

no shut up tho

but for real, idk if i'll be able to finish the season Even when he didn't uppercut his child's head to the roof, the scene was super loving disturbing. And it's gonna hit me real loving hard if they decide to tie it with the immigration stuff. Like if one character goes "he ended up like that because he's one of Them" i might have to close the window. Not saying it's bad! It just happens to hit some very specific things that I can't handle for reasons I should probably find out sometime. Just in-depth serious mind "control/break" always freaked me out, and this has the chance to crank it up to 12 and tie it to more stuff that is unpleasant.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 24, 2021

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'm an ep behind but uh with regards to that little commercial for Rosario it's pretty obvious Mac's miracle cure is just Yuri's Integrated Gear with the ACE AI right?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

FilthyImp posted:

I'm an ep behind but uh with regards to that little commercial for Rosario it's pretty obvious Mac's miracle cure is just Yuri's Integrated Gear with the ACE AI right?

I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't that case directly, then they probably stole the tech and refined it to make creepy soldier puppets or some awful poo poo.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Nuebot posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't that case directly, then they probably stole the tech and refined it to make creepy soldier puppets or some awful poo poo.

Unless I'm misrembering the first season

His sister or at least her company developed the Yuri's integrated gear, so it seems more of collaborative effort to me to combine both of their techs, but Yukiko did it to advance the medical field as opposed to her brother who seems to going for some crazy poo poo.

Also holy poo poo I forgot Mikio is in the first season.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I'm interested to see where the hummingbird sighting at the end of the match leads. In retrospect, it's pretty clear he was on autopilot (AI or Ultra Instinct, whichever the case may be) during that last barrage but, Yuri's reaction probably has as much to do with his history with the integrated gear and the AI fiasco as it does with his natural boxing insight.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Unless I'm misrembering the first season...
There's the background intrigue between ShiratoBro's AI Gear and Yuri's Integrated Gear being better, with the ACE system relying on Gear electrical signal monitoring while the Integrated System was more invasive but allowed the person full control.

I'm guessing that this season 's appearance of ShiratoBro means we get a scene where he talks to Sis about how he recognized what they were doing with Mac and he wants to know how they solved the AI processing or someshit. Pharmakid just kind of casually mentioning that MSc should take up Megalobox in the middle of his crazy workout mania seems too convenient. Wonder if Mac is extremely suggestible as a result and the system makes him complacent

I hope I'm surprised but following the outline of Akita no Joe I'd like Mac to be at a disadvantage "reading" Joe because he's heavily Punch Drunk and blind in one eye so his movements are more erratic and the system can't predict countermeasures as a result.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Akita no Joe is a good dog name :mmmhmm:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

I'm interested to see where the hummingbird sighting at the end of the match leads.

Yeah. Right now I think it's his "soul" being guided back to his body, thus ending Mac Time... which probably means later on we'll see the hummingbird not make it back to the body...

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Pretty feel good episode today.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Well that was a revelatory episode if, like me, you totally forgot all the hummingbird stuff from the first page of this thread.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 31, 2021

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Man, I really loving hate that brush-headed tech dude. Great villain.

Ep 8 just dropped on the app for us poors, goddamn what a loving masterpiece of a show.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
just caught up on the last few episodes. that liu/mac fight was one of the most frustrating things i've watched lately, since i had an idea what mac time was going in

this show continues to just be really good on all levels

definitely the best of this season, if not the year

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Just watched through all of this after letting it pile up for a bit. I had some problems with the first Megalo Box. I felt that a lot of its characters and story beats lacked... I don't know, weight, or depth, or something along those lines. It just had kind of an intangible "it's missing something" feeling to it. The Aragaki arc in the middle was the best part of it, at least to me, because it was disconnected from the main plot and told a compelling little side story about a guy with a personal reason to want to fight Joe. But in general I wasn't all that invested in Joe's journey, or most of the other characters like Yuri, Mikio, and Yukiko. At the end of the day I enjoyed it well enough but it wasn't one of my favorites by a long shot.

That said, so far I am way more into Nomad. That first episode immediately made me care more about Joe than the entirety of the first season managed to, and learning about what happened after the events of season 1 that kind of broke everything and watching Joe try to pick it all back up is incredibly enjoyable.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

TriffTshngo posted:

That said, so far I am way more into Nomad. That first episode immediately made me care more about Joe than the entirety of the first season managed to, and learning about what happened after the events of season 1 that kind of broke everything and watching Joe try to pick it all back up is incredibly enjoyable.
I enjoyed the sense of being tossed into things. That said the slow leak of backstory is weirdly satisfying but also a bit empty. Story-wise I'm happy it was just Joe trying to do a good, if futile, thing for his mentor, and the very real, very hurt scars following that failure... but it also seems kind of unsatisfying to know that Joe left because Sacchio was upset he didn't get to Pops in time, that he was wasting the short time he had on a pipe dream to prolong his life, etc. I'm kind of more interested in seeing how things spin out from that than knowing the justification behind his pain and excommunication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/anime/status/1400814609259548676?s=21

This is a really cool, in-depth interview with lots of interesting details about the creators, their process, and their inspirations. Pro click.