Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Edward Mass posted:

Columbus Flavortown Crew SC, probably.

No, that might be Sacramento

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

i guess this is supposedly the new crest

i generally roll eyes about the crest/name rebranding outrage but that sure is a boring rear end crest

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
That's not BAD, per se, but it would be the most boring MLS logo by a country mile.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
It's loving terrible IMO. Can't wait for people to ask me why my shirt says Columbus South Carolina. Oh wait nevermind I'm not going to spend a cent on merch for the foreseeable future if they change the logo.

Changing the name to Columbus SC in official capacity is meh to me but the logo is unacceptable.

The Columbus Clippers and Columbus Bluejackets logos are already just Cs. https://twitter.com/AndrewKingCbus/status/1391535554009960458

insider fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 10, 2021

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Imagine seeing Montreal's rebrand and everyone's reaction to it and then going "let's do that, but worse!"

I guess there's always hope that they do what Chicago did and go "whoops, our bad".

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

has anyone besides KC pulled off the rebrand in a way thats seen any serious uptick in attendance or support or anything? It seems like about half the league have tried basically the same thing in the last decade and other than KC i'm not sure if I can think of any team that has benefited notably. (and KC had a lot more to do with stadium presumably)

i'm mostly pretty whatever about most the changes but this is another that just seems at best, pointless

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
They just rebranded like five years ago! At least let the last one sit a little.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

whypick1 posted:

Imagine seeing Montreal's rebrand and everyone's reaction to it and then going "let's do that, but worse!"

I guess there's always hope that they do what Chicago did and go "whoops, our bad".

Chicago said that, but didn’t actually change anything that I can tell. I ended up liking the new kit even though the team is still disorganized poo poo.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
This screams to me that they did marketing surveys, found out that casuals/non fans absolutely hate yellow because to them in Ohio, yellow = Pittsburgh Steelers.

So instead of being upfront and saying hey guys we know you love yellow but it's a huge turn off to casuals so if we make black primary, white secondary, and yellow as an accent color then we believe it will help the club... I think most people would be OK with it begrudgingly if they kept the name and logo which already has those colors. But instead they went the nuclear option.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

paddyboat posted:

Chicago said that, but didn’t actually change anything that I can tell. I ended up liking the new kit even though the team is still disorganized poo poo.

You're getting a new badge next year, no?

insider posted:

This screams to me that they did marketing surveys, found out that casuals/non fans absolutely hate yellow because to them in Ohio, yellow = Pittsburgh Steelers.

tbf, distancing yourselves from the Steelers is a good thing, because gently caress the Steelers.

Ditching the Crew name is stupid though, if it happens. "FC/SC before or after City Name" should die in a fire.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

whypick1 posted:

You're getting a new badge next year, no?

I haven’t heard a peep for a while. They could just take the evil yellow out of the badge and probably go on with their lives.

Fixing the actual team would be good also.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Bring the firefighters back, and bring the Wizards name back too. How hard is this?

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

the wizards name sucked though and it was a good change

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/ColumbusCrew/status/1391831350970310656

So "Crew" seems to be relegated to the same role as "Loons" are for Minnesota, which is a major step backward.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
So....what's the triangle signify?

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

G-Hawk posted:

the wizards name sucked though and it was a good change

Hard disagree - Wizards was in keeping with American sports club name traditions and had a specific reference to Kansas; Sporting had no local or historical connections whatsoever; it was just aping foreign naming conventions.

I don't have a problem with doing that on occasion (and I can think of some "foreign" soccer club names we should be using, but aren't), especially when you are creating a brand new club identity out of thin air, but overwriting an existing identity that has already established some history is another matter altogether.

MLS has this thing for constant rebranding which undercuts any attempt to build up a solid historical foundation and identity. It's stupid and counterproductive.

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 10, 2021

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Edward Mass posted:

“We needed to keep it this shape for symmetry but not make it look like a G”

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Edward Mass posted:

Serious answer: It's the outline of Ohio's flag, which is officially a burgee, turned a quarter turn and stylized.

Alternate answer: "We're MLS and we're taking the mid 2000s NASCAR approach to modernize ourselves in the hopes it will draw some casuals in who will treat soccer as a fad and get bored with it in 5 years because :lol: hardcore fans, you're not going to stop watching."

(Narrator: it backfired horribly for NASCAR)

E- I don't know what the triangle inside the outline is meant to represent.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 03:31 on May 11, 2021

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Do you have a link or something for what happened with Nascar? I love leaning about marketing failures like that.

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

Very interesting piece on Atlanta's front office and how their technical director Carlos Bocanegra has treated their coaches over the years.

https://twitter.com/TheAthleticSCCR/status/1392107247363399680

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Philly signed a Daniel Gazdag from Hungary :toot:

Hope Hungary gets eliminated quickly in the Euros

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

G-Hawk posted:

has anyone besides KC pulled off the rebrand in a way thats seen any serious uptick in attendance or support or anything? It seems like about half the league have tried basically the same thing in the last decade and other than KC i'm not sure if I can think of any team that has benefited notably. (and KC had a lot more to do with stadium presumably)

i'm mostly pretty whatever about most the changes but this is another that just seems at best, pointless

This is correct, Arrowhead Stadium is an awful venue for soccer.

Also lol at thinking "we need to be less like the Steelers" and then going straight to black primary. :downs:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Renaissance Spam posted:

Do you have a link or something for what happened with Nascar? I love leaning about marketing failures like that.

To quote Vic Mackey from the series finale of The Shield when asked about his crimes, "How much time do you have?":

Take your pick:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2BILMQHZ6A
(some of these rule changes like the caution clock and overtime line were walked back, but we NASCAR fans hated them anyway and this was the tip of the iceberg)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwIXUHruEaQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igP1Q-KMO6U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFyuHSaB4iw

For more, search things like "NASCAR what happened" and "Brian France failure" on YouTube.

e- TL;DR, Brian France took NASCAR over in 2004 and immediately ripped one of NASCAR's most iconic races (The Southern 500 on Labor Day weekend) out of town and gave its race date to a track in the LA Basin*, implemented a new championship system (which went through 5 revisions in 11 years), spearheaded the effort to create a new racecar no one liked, created a second new racecar which cost teams money, and added infinite other gimmicks before he got busted for a DUI and drug possession and mercy fired, at which point things leveled off and have started to rebound.

*The analog in MLS would've been had #SaveTheCrew failed. "We're the sanctioning body and, even though the Crew were our first franchise, everybody has a pants tent for Austin right now and you haven't sold out every game since 1996 so, to cash the gently caress in, we're going to aid the owner in moving the franchise to Austin even though fans from around the league aren't here for it. Plus, we'll always have our hardcore fans because they're whipped, so you may hate it, but all the new fans we're going to suck in are going to love it and be here forever, so quit whining and #ATX."

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 12, 2021

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Isn't no small part of NASCAR's problem that the France family still runs it with an iron first and thus they just do whatever the hell they want when it comes to rules and regulations with no consultation?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Crazy Ted posted:

Isn't no small part of NASCAR's problem that the France family still runs it with an iron first and thus they just do whatever the hell they want when it comes to rules and regulations with no consultation?

Effectively. I went back and updated my post with a TL;DR, but when you have a Commissioner/President/GM/Team Owner who is omnipotent and pawns what's worked and the loyal fans to try and grab as many casuals as they can, bad things happen. The 2004 Labor-Day-race-to-California snafu is a great example- they tried to "modernize tradition" (literally the buzz phrase surrounding the move) to get SoCal to go NASCAR crazy but, after seven years, the whole thing flopped and the race was moved to Atlanta (they still weren't smart enough to give the date back to Darlington until 2015).

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Edward Mass posted:

“Make it look like Superman but with a C”

“But that would look stupid”

“Put a triangle in the corner to balance it out.”

“Genius”

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
Hey I just wanted to pop in and say that the old crew logo was gorgeous and this new one sucks poo poo and if it sticks around I'm pretty much done with them at this point. It's somehow worse than the old old crew logo, which was bad enough to be endearing.

It's the dumbest loving thing. It's an absolute mind-boggling decision all around. You had the "Save the Crew" movement, which got international attention. You won a championship. You have a awesome looking brand spanking new stadium (and, I believe, the first team in the US to build 2 soccer specific stadiums?). Everything was going great and then you decide to do this dumpster fire and piss everyone off. The entire response has been nothing but tone deaf. I mean, read this poo poo:

quote:

"I hope that goodwill isn't exhausted on a brand evolution, a revision of a logo," said Bezbatchenko. "I think for everything that [the new owners] stood for and have done over the past two-and-a-half years means more than a naming convention. I truly do."

gently caress you Bezbatchenko, you twat.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Everything about this rebranding is just baffling. Why 3 weeks into the season after a championship run and before a new stadium? Why drop the iconic moniker? Why go all in on the :geno: aesthetic? Sucks it's happening to your team siggy/other Crew supporters.

In slightly less baffling news, here's another reason to hate Toronto:

https://twitter.com/TorontoFC/status/1392253202922409990

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

he broke up with sydney leroux so he's fine now

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

So barring the horrible logo and utter disregard for supporter input, if the rebrand had been to Crew FC as opposed to Columbus FC would the backlash be so severe?

Renaissance Spam fucked around with this message at 03:29 on May 13, 2021

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I have to imagine it would not. "Save the Crew" was a pretty big drat deal, and they almost completely ditched the Crew moniker not even two years later. It's not the same as Precourt coming back, certainly, but definitely reeks of not giving a drat about the history of the club at all.

Also, "Crew FC" would not be yet another loving "<City Name> <FC/SC>" name.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

That was definitely my thought; coming from the CPL I love the idea of embracing a cultural concept rather than just a city name (Cavalry, Valour, Forge) and it feels like the Crew is the most important facet of the club.

Maybe the owners felt that by saying Columbus they were making a clear statement that the club wouldn't move, rather than recognizing how much a name means to supporters.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

2021 salary info has been released

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/fccincinnati/status/1392842498725326848?s=20

match made in heaven imo

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Philadelphia remain The Team Your Cheap-rear end Team Could Play Like.

Azerban posted:

match made in heaven imo

He'll probably make their defence better but it isn't like that's exactly hard.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 13, 2021

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Stefan Frei's injury evidently less severe than feared. May miss as few as eight matches.

https://twitter.com/Stefan24Frei/status/1393053942725025797?s=20

Might be enough to knock the Sounders out of Shield contention but a big relief that it's not an ACL.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
loving lol that the folks in Columbus decided to gently caress over their legacy fans in favor of being more boring for the sake of a focus group of people that are never going to watch the games anyway.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

All for a really lazy rebrand too

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Woot Rapids won again, and debuted yet another homegrown player in the process. Looking pretty good at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

N: The current standings

V: I love how unpredictably batshit this league can get (says the guy whose team is clearly the best right now)