Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

In theory I think it’s a reasonable rule. Most expansion teams start with a disadvantage and are bad for 4-5 years.

Vegas just did a really smart expansion, plus a little bit of luck, plus a LOT of the other GMs being idiots.

Vegas also got wholly different (and far nicer) expansion draft rules than previous expansion teams too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Duckman2008 posted:

In theory I think it’s a reasonable rule. Most expansion teams start with a disadvantage and are bad for 4-5 years.

Vegas just did a really smart expansion, plus a little bit of luck, plus a LOT of the other GMs being idiots.

I think it's also worth noting that Vegas having an exception from the draft isn't based on whether or not their team is any good. After all, there wasn't even a thought of an exception for bad teams; nobody proposed the expansion draft only draws from the top 30 teams. Rather, Vegas is given an exception because by virtue of only having been around a few years they're going to be a bit short on having a full minor league system. It's not an issue of quality but quantity.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Literally any team can afford to lose one marginal player without it impacting their operations in the slightest. Hell, there's a secondary market on being paid to take contract slots from teams with two many players, so I'm sure Vegas could sort slmething out of they had to (or just sign an AHLer). It's incredibly dumb that they are exempt from the expansion draft.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

...plus a LOT of the other GMs being idiots.

This presumption should be baked into every rule change.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

ThinkTank posted:

Literally any team can afford to lose one marginal player without it impacting their operations in the slightest. Hell, there's a secondary market on being paid to take contract slots from teams with two many players, so I'm sure Vegas could sort slmething out of they had to (or just sign an AHLer). It's incredibly dumb that they are exempt from the expansion draft.

It works both ways, if you aren’t losing a valuable player in the draft then it doesn’t even really benefit Vegas to be exempt and it’s a moot point. You can argue it’s not fair but I don’t see how it matters either way.

It’s a rule that was established when they were trying to make expansion teams more competitive (which given the lack of success of recent expansion teams was reasonable) nobody thought that Vegas would be good to the extent that they are.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

WeaponX posted:

It works both ways, if you aren’t losing a valuable player in the draft then it doesn’t even really benefit Vegas to be exempt and it’s a moot point. You can argue it’s not fair but I don’t see how it matters either way.

It’s a rule that was established when they were trying to make expansion teams more competitive (which given the lack of success of recent expansion teams was reasonable) nobody thought that Vegas would be good to the extent that they are.

Sure, no one expected Vegas to be good but they are. It's ridiculous that arguably the best team in the league won't have to give up anyone in the expansion draft process while all the struggling teams will. Remember, Vegas basically gets a second go round of being a broker for expansion draft trade purposes too so could actually benefit doubly from this. The NHL has made plenty of retroactive rule changes before, I think they can do that again without much issue.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Hand Knit posted:

I think it's also worth noting that Vegas having an exception from the draft isn't based on whether or not their team is any good. After all, there wasn't even a thought of an exception for bad teams; nobody proposed the expansion draft only draws from the top 30 teams. Rather, Vegas is given an exception because by virtue of only having been around a few years they're going to be a bit short on having a full minor league system. It's not an issue of quality but quantity.

I thought it was entirely dependent on them not taking their cut of the expansion fee

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I think if Boston wins tonight (any fashion) then it's Caps/Bruins and Pens/Isles for round one. If the Isles win (any way except via shootout) then the Bruins will need at least one point in their final game to clinch third place. If the Isles win via shootout then I think the Bruins still clinch 3rd place because of tiebreakers but I might be wrong about that?

I feel like the Pens could easily lose to any team in their division but all things being equal I'd much prefer to face the Isles rather than the Bruins. I think the Bruins are the worst matchup for the Pens in the division.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

tarbrush posted:

I thought it was entirely dependent on them not taking their cut of the expansion fee

This is correct, that exemption was part of the expansion agreement in 2016. The NHL can change rules but I’m not sure they can revoke an element of that agreement like it’s the offsides challenger rule or something.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The NHL has modified agreements and the CBA many times without warning.

If Vegas was subject to the expansion draft they'd likely have to give up MAF or Lehner. That's a serious hit for a team like that. Instead, unlike every other team in the league next year, they don't have to worry about rolling into next season with two starters under contract.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
I'm sure Vegas would gladly take the tens of millions in exchange for either a depth skater or 36-year-old goalie.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

WeaponX posted:

This is correct, that exemption was part of the expansion agreement in 2016.

Vegas must lose this exemption after a certain amount of time, right? How long? Was a similar thing in place for Atlanta and Nashville for the Columbus and Minnesota expansion?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

If Vegas was subject to the expansion draft they'd likely have to give up MAF or Lehner. That's a serious hit for a team like that. Instead, unlike every other team in the league next year, they don't have to worry about rolling into next season with two starters under contract.

Isn't this mostly the fault of idiot GMs for gifting Vegas with an unreasonably good team? I don't think anyone (Vegas included) expected them to be as good as they are.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

deoju posted:

Vegas must lose this exemption after a certain amount of time, right? How long? Was a similar thing in place for Atlanta and Nashville for the Columbus and Minnesota expansion?

Yes, neither the CBJ nor Wild could take players from Atlanta or Nashville.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Ginette Reno posted:

I think if Boston wins tonight (any fashion) then it's Caps/Bruins and Pens/Isles for round one. If the Isles win (any way except via shootout) then the Bruins will need at least one point in their final game to clinch third place. If the Isles win via shootout then I think the Bruins still clinch 3rd place because of tiebreakers but I might be wrong about that?

I feel like the Pens could easily lose to any team in their division but all things being equal I'd much prefer to face the Isles rather than the Bruins. I think the Bruins are the worst matchup for the Pens in the division.

If NYI wins in overtime or shootout tonight, Boston has to at a minimum take the Caps into overtime in order to secure the 3rd seed. Considering the Caps are resting players for “injuries”, they’re not going to put up much effort on Tuesday, I would think. If Boston beats NYI outright tonight, that final Caps game is probably going to be the equivalent of an exhibition scrimmage…

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

ThinkTank posted:

MAF has a NMC and lol at them giving a poo poo about losing Robin Lehner.

The best team in the league definitely should have to expose players like everyone else, but it's really a non-issue, they wouldn't lose anyone they would particularly miss.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
If Vegas gets beat in the first round will you still feel the same way? Or if they had finished worse than top of their division?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

MAF has a NMC and lol at them giving a poo poo about losing Robin Lehner.

MAF's current contract only has a modified no trade, not an NMC like he did with the Pens.

Vegas just signed Lehner to a five year deal so I figure he's part of their long term plans and they'd care about having to expose him.

Basically the question as to whether it's alright that Vegas is exempt from the expansion draft boils down to "is this in the best interests of the sport?" and given the long track record the NHL has of screwing up easy decisions I'd say the answer is no.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Ginette Reno posted:

Despite the Isles past few series against the Pens going New York's way they are still probably the team I would prefer the Pens get in the first round. Boston with Hall is a whole different beast and they match up excellently against the Pens along with the regular season series of 5 Wins (4 in regulation and 1 OT) being the tied best record against Pittsburgh (with the Flyers).

Next worse would be the Caps. The Pens 'won' the season series but it was on the back of 4 OT wins. I don't think I could handle a playoff series with nothing but OTs these days. Additionally, staying away from Tom Wilson concussing the ever living gently caress out of players for as long as possible is a good idea.

Then the Isles. They picked up Zajac and Palmieri which tbh weren't adds that improved the team. It replaced someone that's dead and then Zajac. Palmieri is playing 3:30 per night less than NJ and has gone from a .5 PPG to .25. Zajac has 2 points in 13. I also think Sullivan has worked on a few specific things to attack the Islanders system which requires huge amounts of energy to execute and while shorter this season was not easy.

As for the Penguins I still can't really make any sense of them. Some nights the goaltending shows up, other nights there are system breakdowns all over the place and you get .750, and other other nights they look like the team that they're the team that went back to back a few years ago. :shrug: going to be a thing that much is for sure.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I am indifferent whether the Caps draw the Isles or Bruins. I think they can beat the Isles but the games would be boring. I think the Bruins probably beat them but at least it would be more entertaining. I guess that means I should hope for the Isles?

All the injuries lately make me skeptical about a genuine playoff run, though the success of their acquisitions (Sprong, Sheary and to a lesser extent Chara) and the fact that Lavy will actually play Mantha when he refused Vrana time gives me some hope.

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 10, 2021

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

ThinkTank posted:

ThinkTank posted:

I’m confused.

I don’t disagree with you that it’s kinda bullshit that Vegas gets out of the expansion but that was the agreement and just cause the NHL has been lovely in the past doesn’t mean they should walk this back. Just don’t think it changes much in the end

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

WeaponX posted:

I’m confused.

I don’t disagree with you that it’s kinda bullshit that Vegas gets out of the expansion but that was the agreement and just cause the NHL has been lovely in the past doesn’t mean they should walk this back. Just don’t think it changes much in the end

Yeah, the only teams that should be cranky are the ones who were added last but still have to be part of the next round of expansion drafts. No, I don't care that it was 16 years later. I do expect there was a time limit on that clause, and CBJ and MIN also had it, but it probably only lasted 10 years or something. Mostly I'm annoyed that they made the draft rules so much better for the new teams after living through so many years of building without many blocks to start.

I'd be more annoyed if they tried to change the deal now, because that would just be terrible management.

Incidentally, where does Seattle slot into the the draft list? I'd expect they don't get the 1st overall, but top 5?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Frankly given that state of most team's finances, I'm quite sure any team that came up with a semi plausible sob story and offered to give up their share of the fee could get an exemption. I can't think of any team where their tenth best skater is worth $22 million to keep. Vegas is exempt because Foley is rich enough and competitive enough to make that deal

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/goalie_school/status/1391777549299208194

https://twitter.com/goalie_school/status/1391069633910775814

https://twitter.com/goalie_school/status/1390071307505586177

This is a pretty fun page to follow if you're into goaltending techniques and why some of them do what they do.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Jhet posted:

Incidentally, where does Seattle slot into the the draft list? I'd expect they don't get the 1st overall, but top 5?

They're slotted into the lottery as the third worst team

chaibat
Aug 21, 2008

Hirez posted:

Found this, $0.80/mo for 6months of athletic. https://theathletic.com/checkout2/springintmca/21springintmca

also heres some free 30 day guest passes

https://theathletic.com/gp/y7bstcle5u
https://theathletic.com/gp/o7w1ym43qj
https://theathletic.com/gp/pwu2ojsdtx
https://theathletic.com/gp/42spbz9ru6
https://theathletic.com/gp/9qo2ha1lzg

You will be charged a total of $0.80 each month for the first 6 months. Your subscription will then automatically renew at $7.99 each month thereafter until you cancel.

Thanks, perfect timing, mine had just expired.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Despite the Isles past few series against the Pens going New York's way they are still probably the team I would prefer the Pens get in the first round. Boston with Hall is a whole different beast and they match up excellently against the Pens along with the regular season series of 5 Wins (4 in regulation and 1 OT) being the tied best record against Pittsburgh (with the Flyers).

Next worse would be the Caps. The Pens 'won' the season series but it was on the back of 4 OT wins. I don't think I could handle a playoff series with nothing but OTs these days. Additionally, staying away from Tom Wilson concussing the ever living gently caress out of players for as long as possible is a good idea.

Then the Isles. They picked up Zajac and Palmieri which tbh weren't adds that improved the team. It replaced someone that's dead and then Zajac. Palmieri is playing 3:30 per night less than NJ and has gone from a .5 PPG to .25. Zajac has 2 points in 13. I also think Sullivan has worked on a few specific things to attack the Islanders system which requires huge amounts of energy to execute and while shorter this season was not easy.

As for the Penguins I still can't really make any sense of them. Some nights the goaltending shows up, other nights there are system breakdowns all over the place and you get .750, and other other nights they look like the team that they're the team that went back to back a few years ago. :shrug: going to be a thing that much is for sure.

I just don't like the matchup of Boston's top line vs the Pens' top line. Boston might be one of the few teams in the league that has a top line that can go toe to toe with the Pens' top line. Also Rask just always seems to own the Pens.

The Isles will be a tough matchup as well since they defend so well and that can frustrate the Pens, but the Pens have gotten pretty good defensive this year as well and seem comfortable in low scoring games so I'm hopeful they could handle that kind of series. The Pens are also much deeper offensively than the Isles are.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Lol oh no Buffalo

https://twitter.com/pham1717/status/1391786233727275014?s=19

https://twitter.com/pham1717/status/1391786023424831492?s=19

https://twitter.com/pham1717/status/1391786567941906432?s=19

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

How do you break a rib shooting?

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Improper technique while prone maybe?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

letters W E L and P the size of the drat Hollywood sign falling all over Blackbelt Bombman right now, christ

E: and yeah I don't know how he managed to break a drat rib shooting but fuckin' ouch.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

This has the makings of an incredible summer

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
how the absolute gently caress do you not give your star player the health care he needs

GOOD JOB PEGULAS

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/pham1717/status/1391788085030146051

https://twitter.com/pham1717/status/1391788679149064194

https://twitter.com/pham1717/status/1391789203948777474

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Eichel is gonna be a New York Ranger

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

WeaponX posted:

Jim Ramsay will have him fixed up in no time.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/IneffectiveMath/status/1391788391981666305

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

WeaponX posted:

Sabres are gonna get like Kakko, Strome and two firsts back too lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Eichel also admitted he's been battling a lingering abdominal injury he suffered sometime last season. Said he likely would have had surgery in the offseason but covid prevented him from traveling to get opinions on it.

No wonder he looked like poo poo this season, playing through a broken rib and some kind of ab injury.

Then he hurts his neck on top of it.