Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The fact that they haven't offered leads me to believe it's a deeper structural issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans

deadwing posted:

yes, absolutely. 5 bucks a page, I'd buy 10 no questions asked

are you cammy?

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

The fact that they haven't offered leads me to believe it's a deeper structural issue.

the inventory system is a mess internally, its why they keep moving the stuff from tokens, etc.

im guessing the shader/inventory/character/vault/bounties/quests are all shared as a pool of "inventory space" and limited to only that. then split up in into their own systems.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
Yeah I have a lot of exotic armour duplicates and didn't go back to the Lost Sectors after I got those. Hmm. Maybe I'm just impatient and need to be constantly enticed by shiny things. Or - and this is a disgusting rumour - I could apparently play other games but I'm not sure how I feel about this compared to grumbling about how everything isn't the way I want it.

I'm sure you also used to be able to just spam handing in gunsmith parts and get a steady stream of stuff instead of having to keep moving over and clicking on the engram bit as well. Did I imagine this? I also need to embrace fashion and break free of how amazing everything looks in armatura.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I would love like...3 more weapon slots each for kinetic/energy/heavy

Really hate having to constantly bring up DIM

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Firebert posted:

I would love like...3 more weapon slots each for kinetic/energy/heavy

Really hate having to constantly bring up DIM

Could be worse, you could have an old legend of acrius eating a heavy slot.

I haven't logged in all week, any reason to do so before the season change?

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

deadwing posted:

yes, absolutely. 5 bucks a page, I'd buy 10 no questions asked

Stop ruining videogames.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Could be worse, you could have an old legend of acrius eating a heavy slot.

Dismantle shaders if you have them, reset artifact to make sure you don't lose sniper scavenger and SMG loader if the artifact bugs out again. I think that's it.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

ClydeFrog posted:

I'm sure you also used to be able to just spam handing in gunsmith parts and get a steady stream of stuff instead of having to keep moving over and clicking on the engram bit as well. Did I imagine this?
You did not imagine it, the 'hand in tokens' UI element used to turn into an engram when you handed in enough. Now you need to go back and forth and it's annoying on console, tennis elbow inducing on PC I guess.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

I heard yall like BABIES.

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/1391833080223109120

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

There's a lot of structural issues that are gonna stick around since they canceled D3 but it is what it is

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

Stack a bunch of completed bounties to get a big xp boost if you care about the season rank stuff.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Thanks Bungie for listening to the community and letting us complete the hmg catalyst quest (I will never complete the catalyst but the gun rules).

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Quickdraw is being removed from Felwinters tomorrow! I don't care because I run a DS build with shotgun dexterity. :smug:

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

limaCAT posted:

Thanks Bungie for listening to the community and letting us complete the hmg catalyst quest (I will never complete the catalyst but the gun rules).

I got to step 3 and can't complete it as far as I can tell because there is no longer any daily focus playlist? Mousing over that medal case that used to show what the focus is doesn't display anything anymore

Edit: apparently bungo tweeted about this 4-5 hours ago. Hopefully I can still complete the catalyst quest at some stage because it's a super fun HMG

Double edit: ok they have also tweeted that they've fixed it but it still ain't working for me. My own fault for not starting it earlier but a bit frustrating

Triple edit: ok so it is working even though it doesn't display when you mouse over the medal case, just got the catalyst killing stuff in a strike with heir apparent, happy days!

aejix fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 11, 2021

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

aejix posted:

I got to step 3 and can't complete it as far as I can tell because there is no longer any daily focus playlist? Mousing over that medal case that used to show what the focus is doesn't display anything anymore

Edit: apparently bungo tweeted about this 4-5 hours ago. Hopefully I can still complete the catalyst quest at some stage because it's a super fun HMG

Double edit: ok they have also tweeted that they've fixed it but it still ain't working for me. My own fault for not starting it earlier but a bit frustrating

It's right here, friend

limaCAT posted:

I finished the actual Catalyst for Heir Apparent in one afternoon of Battlegrounds that I did to clear up all my other challenges. Just run MG Ammo Finder/Scavenger/Reserves, hunt every purple box and use accurate headshot bursts to harvest kills

Eej fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 11, 2021

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

Eej posted:

It's right here, friend

I finished the actual Catalyst for Heir Apparent in one afternoon of Battlegrounds that I did to clear up all my other challenges. Just run MG Ammo Finder/Scavenger/Reserves, hunt every purple box and use accurate headshot bursts to harvest kills

I will never hate people who design tooltips and UI information more than the ones who work at Bungie. Thanks anyway haha!

More edits: I love altar farming on the moon for catalyst kills, zero brain power required

aejix fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 11, 2021

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

*trudging around nessus* VEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK, YOU MAKE MY DAAAAAAAAYAAAAAAY

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Welp, got my heir and catalyst missions done by only starting gg today and playing a few hours lol. Also got a god roll guillotine. Makes me feel better about not gilding my gambit seal, but gently caress grinding out 15ish more wins today with this garbage matchmaking and the lag/aimbot/etc poo poo I ran into this evening.

My own fault on the seal, but I had family poo poo to do and just couldn't deal with more bs from this game.

gently caress it, I'm ready for the new season, gimme that poo poo!

E: lol, got a shadow price and the exotic sparrow from the one whole nightfall I ran too.

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

aejix posted:

I will never hate people who design tooltips and UI information more than the ones who work at Bungie. Thanks anyway haha!

More edits: I love altar farming on the moon for catalyst kills, zero brain power required

On that note, is there anywhere in game (or out) that tells you what the weekly bonus is (e.g. double nightfall rewards, infamy, etc.)? I usually ignore the pop ups informing me about some bullshit like trials that I absolutely will not do Bungie, so I can miss it sometimes.

GeorgieMordor
Jan 23, 2015
I keep getting Umbral Engrams and I have no way to use these things. I have so many I have to discard my weakest ones now to make room for non-Umbrals.

Apparently a mission was supposed to auto-trigger that starts the quest to unlock the whatever device at the Drifter, but for some reason for me that has not happened for my character, and I have no idea how / where I can trigger this to start.

Does anyone have any idea what the issue is? I only have Beyond Light as far as purchased content goes -- is that a factor? That will be *super* annoying though if I'm getting drops that can only be used / activated by a part of the game I haven't purchased.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Umbral decoder is now at H.E.L.M., which is a location on the tower map, upper left. Believe you have to do an intro quest, Challenger’s Proving, so check your quest log or maybe it’s hanging out there in the director somewhere. See if you have access to H.E.L.M. first though.

GeorgieMordor
Jan 23, 2015

uwaeve posted:

Umbral decoder is now at H.E.L.M., which is a location on the tower map, upper left. Believe you have to do an intro quest, Challenger’s Proving, so check your quest log or maybe it’s hanging out there in the director somewhere. See if you have access to H.E.L.M. first though.

Ah that's a big help, thanks.

I did look for H.E.L.M. , but it wasn't on my map yet. I'll check my quest log for Challenger's Proving though.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

GeorgieMordor posted:

Ah that's a big help, thanks.

I did look for H.E.L.M. , but it wasn't on my map yet. I'll check my quest log for Challenger's Proving though.

The HELM should be available to everybody. Click on the Tower from the director and it’ll be an option to the upper left.

It’s kinda funny that you looked up where the Umbral Decoder was and found the instructions for where it was during Season of Arrivals, though. This isn’t your fault - it’s more amazing Bungie tutorializing.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I think that after today's patch HELM will actually be a main destination on the planet map.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Pirate Jet posted:

The HELM should be available to everybody. Click on the Tower from the director and it’ll be an option to the upper left.

It’s kinda funny that you looked up where the Umbral Decoder was and found the instructions for where it was during Season of Arrivals, though. This isn’t your fault - it’s more amazing Bungie tutorializing.
Had this problem last night looking up where Spider's big wanted target is to save up some bounties for the new season. Apparently the Silent Fang has moved twice since most of the guides were written, and there's now a map marker that you can track to find out where he is, so none of the guides have bothered updating.

Most searching for answers for Destiny content involves adding either 2021 or season of the [x] at the end and hoping google can work it out.

Is there a search string to limit results to after a certain date only?

GeorgieMordor
Jan 23, 2015

Pirate Jet posted:

Oh man, this! I did exactly that -- all the explanations I found were outdated. It's completely insane.

As an aside, I can't decide if it's bad design or just a cheap way for Bungie to add "more stuff to learn and do", but the whole quest / seasonal content structure is a mess just for someone hopping into this game. Lots of indicators on stuff to do, but then so many times zero cues or guidance on how to actually do / get to it. It's like they wanted to make navigating a world map and your quests a challenge in itself.

Pirate Jet posted:

I'm 99% positive I did not see it there last time but I'll check again next time I hop in.

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008
Did you complete Battleground: Behemoth? It's on Nessus. That's the initial matchmaking activity for the season that starts the quest chain iirc. The game would have queued you up for it on your first login of the season but if you bailed on that queue you'll have to queue up for it manually.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Had this problem last night looking up where Spider's big wanted target is to save up some bounties for the new season. Apparently the Silent Fang has moved twice since most of the guides were written, and there's now a map marker that you can track to find out where he is, so none of the guides have bothered updating.

Most searching for answers for Destiny content involves adding either 2021 or season of the [x] at the end and hoping google can work it out.

Is there a search string to limit results to after a certain date only?

Even then searching by year gives me 2018/2019 results constantly. At this point it's just a mix of "ask questions and get mocked" or "figure it out yourself" to sort out half the things in this game.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

SkyeAuroline posted:

Even then searching by year gives me 2018/2019 results constantly. At this point it's just a mix of "ask questions and get mocked" or "figure it out yourself" to sort out half the things in this game.
There was a poster in another thread a while back who got a ps4pro and downloaded a bunch of f2p hames for her kids to try. She was saying how good the tutorial intro was just after the New Light bit was added.

I think she was mostly comparing it to other free games like fortnite where they just flash the controls up on screen and then drop you into a lobby, but it would be interesting to hear newer players takes on their impressions.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Bobby Deluxe posted:

There was a poster in another thread a while back who got a ps4pro and downloaded a bunch of f2p hames for her kids to try. She was saying how good the tutorial intro was just after the New Light bit was added.
I think she was mostly comparing it to other free games like fortnite where they just flash the controls up on screen and then drop you into a lobby, but it would be interesting to hear newer players takes on their impressions.
I played the newest New Light and it seemed like a good tutorial but I also briefly talked to someone who played it and said it was confusing and had no idea where to go or what to do. I would have really liked to played along with them and seen exactly what the issues were since it seemed pretty straightforward to me.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Well, I got in with New Light about 9 weeks into Hunt, and I just recently ran through the multiplayer parts of it with a friend who wanted to try the game, so I can give my thoughts on it.
  • lore first - New Light gives very little to go on setting-wise. It does a better job of introducing the Hive than what I've seen of Red War did, but the rest may as well not even exist. Cayde gets mentioned as dead before immediately showing up in random strikes that, as a New Light, are your main gameplay option. There's little coherent story here outside of "Fortnite guy's fire team died, go kill the wizard", followed up by the Riskrunner exotic quest that's been integrated. Considering the latter was written as effectively an immediate sequel to the former I'm going to call it all one thing. You pretty much just get surface level introductions that don't acknowledge the last three years of the game, and that's it.
  • Gameplay good - Cosmodrome has a decent balance for showing off movement and gunplay to know what you're getting into. You only get the one element out of the gate still but they at least chose elements that are representative of the respective classes, and the class identity clicks pretty fast. Riskrunner quest is a good intro for exotics, and of course it's a good gun in the first place. The followup quests lead you into the side activities fairly seamlessly.
  • Gameplay bad - Want to really know what to do? Good luck. Mods are either never explained or poorly explained, leaving you to tooltip guy's mercy. You're still in green and blue territory and there's little attention given to loot mechanics. When I ran through it the blue MG and sword didn't exist yet, so you couldn't even see some categories of weapons existed. The signposting for activities is there but there's still no actual tutorials for those activities; you're dumped directly into Gambit with no guidance, you're dumped into Crucible straight away into Trials sweats trying to steamroll pubbies in "casual" playlists, Strikes are straightforward but of course you have as good a chance of getting Corrupted as you do Lake of Shadows, so schizophrenic difficulty ahead. The three DLCs have previews... that automatically launch you into a mission with no warning three separate times. This season did it too - without allowing reentry if you backed out because you had other poo poo that you needed to do or didn't have enough time for a Battleground. (This may have been fixed after I got the pass 3 or 4 weeks in.) When it was still a thing, sunsetting was never explained or even mentioned, nor was items being pulled from the world pool - ask my incomplete Seventh Seraph armor on all three characters how I know.

I came from Warframe where playing the game required the wiki open in another window. I made the decision I was going to learn Destiny without external guidance because it'd been a long time since I'd played a game where that was feasible. When the season changed over I decided that it wasn't feasible here either. There's too many basic gaps left unexplained for introductions for New Light and the tooltips to do the job on their own.

Also, Special Finisher in New Light is busted as a reward so I still don't have it. One of two or three mods I would never even consider unequipping, but unobtainable.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

SkyeAuroline posted:

Cayde gets mentioned as dead before immediately showing up in random strikes that, as a New Light, are your main gameplay option. There's little coherent story here outside of "Fortnite guy's fire team died, go kill the wizard", followed up by the Riskrunner exotic quest that's been integrated. Considering the latter was written as effectively an immediate sequel to the former I'm going to call it all one thing.
That is definitely something that's completely mad. New lights are told Cayde is dead before they even have the option of flying to the tower, or other planets. Then part of new light is doing strikes, a few of which have dialogue from Cayde in them. Then you get to the tower and NPCs reference him being dead again. Then you start forsaken and who's the first person you meet?

It would be different if the strikes and DLCs were clearly flagged as happening as flashbacks to / simulations of previous continuity (like Ikora's meditations back in vanilla d2), but they're not.

GeorgieMordor
Jan 23, 2015

Geddy Krueger posted:

Did you complete Battleground: Behemoth? It's on Nessus. That's the initial matchmaking activity for the season that starts the quest chain iirc. The game would have queued you up for it on your first login of the season but if you bailed on that queue you'll have to queue up for it manually.

Ah! It was this!

Wow, that was so frustrating to unravel. Thanks for setting me straight -- honestly never would have found this even Googling probably.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
This thread is very useful for asking questions with only genteel mocking round the edges.

The game is not good at having things you need to know readily available in order to make good decisions on your own. Even just talking to Banshee for the first time and doing a little quest that gave you a mod to explain why they are good and useful would have helped, or an intro that said "Guardian this battleground mission is vital to starting the long road to success with the Cabal and you will need to complete it in order to access the new strategic HELM location to continue".

The problem is there is too much assumed knowledge, much of it is put together in a way where no one has said "what if this is the first time person X played this, what would be confusing or impede their enjoyment and therefore chance of giving us more monies."

But when it's good, it's really bloody good.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

ClydeFrog posted:

The problem is there is too much assumed knowledge, much of it is put together in a way where no one has said "what if this is the first time person X played this, what would be confusing or impede their enjoyment and therefore chance of giving us more monies."
There's definitely a huge gulf between New Light, which assumes you are completely new, and the expansions, which expect you to be a veteran with knowledge of the whole franchise's story since Destiny 1.

If only there had been a substantial campaign which set you up as a veteran warrior who lost and then had to regain their powers, give you actual reasons to travel to the multiple worlds, and introduce you to characters and give them context other than in a few lines of text or dialogue

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Roman posted:

There's definitely a huge gulf between New Light, which assumes you are completely new, and the expansions, which expect you to be a veteran with knowledge of the whole franchise's story since Destiny 1.

If only there had been a substantial campaign which set you up as a veteran warrior who lost and then had to regain their powers, give you actual reasons to travel to the multiple worlds, and introduce you to characters and give them context other than in a few lines of text or dialogue

Yeah but how are you going to punish players who didn't give you money by removing this content?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Logged in, got the pistol, logged out because the game won't be up until 5 PM ET according to their twitter.

:smith:

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

I was able to do the first mission until it sent you to a new place and then the servers said nah dog. It's annoying cause I was gonna try and at least get the artifact before my lunch was up so I could do other stuff but servers put a stop to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Also why the new exotic elemental weapon is slotted in the kinetic slot?