Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

yellowcar posted:

lol the habs are gonna get swept in round 1

Please let me believe in Playoff Leafs :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Where's the off season thread to lurk in?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

HootTheOwl posted:

Where's the off season thread to lurk in?

The off-season doesn't begin until May 19th.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Carolina's had their best season in a decade and they're going to get swept by the Preds first round, who are in turn going to get utterly atomized by whoever survives Tampa/Florida.

At least it was a good game to probably end Rinne's regular season career on. :unsmith:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Edward Mass posted:

The off-season doesn't begin until May 19th.

Somebody should have told Winnipeg. They quit playing Mid April.

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:
Final Nolan Patrick update: 4-5-9 in 52 games, 4 points in his last 45, -30 on the season.

He'll turn it around with a full offseason and training camp!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

sedative posted:

Final Nolan Patrick update: 4-5-9 in 52 games, 4 points in his last 45, -30 on the season.

If it makes you feel any better, 2018-19 Jesse Puljujarvi was 4-5-9 in 46 games and -14, and now he's the happiest boy in hockey.

Have you tried putting Patrick on a line with McDavid?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

sedative posted:

this doesn't capture intangibles like whiffing the puck and falling over in open ice

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
Jets are 1-9 in their last 10 games. This reminds me a lot of two years ago when they also limped into the playoffs and lost in the first round to St. Louis.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

sedative posted:

Yeah for the Kraken!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Koth posted:

Jets are 1-9 in their last 10 games. This reminds me a lot of two years ago when they also limped into the playoffs and lost in the first round to St. Louis.

That sucks dude, it sounds almost like a Paul Maurice team.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

sedative posted:

Flyers traded Away Brayden Schenn because they got Patrick. For the cocaine dude. Just lol.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Booyah- posted:

this doesn't capture intangibles like whiffing the puck and falling over in open ice

I can do this on an ELC and they wouldn’t even need to spend a draft pick on me

I’ve even got the head injury history if that’s a prerequisite

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Habs should just forfeit the rest of the season now. The 4 games a week for the last 6 weeks has been brutal and they need to rest or something

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
I remember the game before Dubois was traded everyone kept tweeting about that one shift where he lazily kinda skated towards the corner on the forecheck and let the guy skate away without issue as proof that he was done in Columbus and wanted out

After watching a ton of Jets games this year, I think that is kind of just how he plays lol

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

whoever wins the bruins-caps season finale tomorrow is going to lose the series in 7

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

How does Paul Maurice still have a job?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Peyton Krebs got his jaw broken by a slapshot. Poor dude can't catch a break. Had just cracked the lineup and looked like playing a role in the playoffs

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

romanowski posted:

whoever wins the bruins-caps season finale tomorrow is going to lose the series in 7

I just want them to reactivate Greg McKegg purely to keep baseball sliding through Tom Wilson's legs for 60 straight minutes tomorrow night

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
...even when Wilson is on the bench I want McKegg flying at his face elbows first

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
...even in intermission I want McKegg drop kicking him from the top of the lockers

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Zat posted:

I took a look at the schedules for NBC, USA and NBCSN, and it looks like these are the start times for the opening playoff games this weekend. Obviously no info on which teams play when, but still cool to know.

Subject to change and all that. All times EDT.

Sat 15th
  • 3 PM on USA
  • 7:15 PM on NBC
Sun 16th
  • 12 PM on NBC
  • 3 PM on NBC
  • 7:30 PM on NBCSN
  • 10 PM on NBCSN

The 7:15 game on Saturday is now listed on NHL.com's schedule, it's Boston-Washington.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Koth posted:

Third place in each division is current on 75/75/73.. Winnipeg is on 59.

Think the north has the fewest 3 point games, but still that’s a incredible difference.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

stab posted:

How are the Habs a playoff team.

How.

They went on an improbable points streak at the beginning of a shortened season and it's really difficult to piss that entirely away.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Call Your Grandma posted:

They went on an improbable points streak at the beginning of a shortened season and it's really difficult to piss that entirely away.

“Challenge loving accepted” - 2020-21 Philadelphia Flyers

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

Jets are getting swept so hard it might end the franchise again. If they play Oilers at least it will be McDavid and Leon doing cool things and averaging 4 points a game.

Toronto will score 8 goals a game against Winnipeg, while the old grit players embarrass them physically and the young guys laugh and dance after every goal.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jets were embarrassingly awful last night which means of course they'll beat the Leafs in 5

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Oilers are gonna steam roll the Jets and its gonna fuckin rule.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

Eric the Mauve posted:

That sucks dude, it sounds almost like a Paul Maurice team.

I really like Maurice as a guy that does interviews after the game. I don't really know enough about hockey systems and strategies to be able to point the finger solely at him.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

The Dirty Burger posted:

I remember the game before Dubois was traded everyone kept tweeting about that one shift where he lazily kinda skated towards the corner on the forecheck and let the guy skate away without issue as proof that he was done in Columbus and wanted out

After watching a ton of Jets games this year, I think that is kind of just how he plays lol

Yeah, I haven't seen a ton of intensity from him. It's been like 40 games and I still don't know what kind of player he is.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Light hearted reminder of the remarkable fact that in 22 years of coaching NHL teams Paul Maurice has reached the second round of the playoffs 3 times.

He is #6 all time in coaching wins.

He is #1 all time in coaching losses.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I'd like to apologize for the disparaging remarks I made when the Canadiens traded Domi for Josh Anderson. While I still question giving Josh Anderson of all players a 7-year deal, at least he's scoring at the same rate he did when he hit 27 in 18-19.

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

Was Maurice the Leafs coach after their golden Gilmour years? When they were a terrible team who grinded all year to miss the playoffs by one point?

Some quick research says yes he was. Those were such bad teams that got so much attention on our Canadian national networks. Darcy Tucker just can’t be the face of a franchise.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

Light hearted reminder of the remarkable fact that in 22 years of coaching NHL teams Paul Maurice has reached the second round of the playoffs 3 times.

He is #6 all time in coaching wins.

He is #1 all time in coaching losses.

This is amazing.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Maurice to take over head coaching duties of Toronto E5

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

Maurice really does give interviews though. I think that helps him with job security, he gives reporters so much good (positive) stuff to write about that they don’t want to run him out of town.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

The Athletic posted a pretty interesting article about Eichel and Reinhart. Some quotes I'd already read, some I hadn't.

quote:

Jack Eichel and Sam Reinhart were supposed to end the Sabres’ suffering. Instead, they got caught up in it.

They’re ready to leave the pain behind. Buffalo fans should prepare for more.

It’s hard to imagine Eichel and Reinhart skating in Sabres uniforms again. The prizes from Buffalo’s tank years took differing approaches to their season exit interviews — Eichel dropped atomic bombs about his relationship with the team while Reinhart voiced displeasure with the incessant losing — but the results were the same.

They’re ready to play elsewhere.

“I have a lot of thinking to do in this offseason,” Eichel said. “There’s a lot that I have to consider.”

It turns out Eichel’s herniated disk isn’t the only pain in his neck. The Sabres added to his misery by fighting against Eichel’s desire for surgery. The organization has held firm that time and rehab will correct the ailment, which ended Eichel’s season March 7, while the captain wants to take a proactive approach.

He discovered it may be his body, but it isn’t his choice.

“It doesn’t work like that. I wish,” Eichel said. “I’m under contract with this team and they definitely hold a lot of cards on what I can and can’t do.”

Eichel has gotten opinions that differ from team doctors. The collective bargaining agreement between the NHL and its players’ association has an injury grievance procedure that allows Eichel and the Sabres to present their medical cases to an arbitrator. Neither Eichel’s agent nor the Sabres returned messages on whether that grievance process was initiated.

Regardless, Eichel is angry things reached this point.

“I’ve been a bit upset about the way that things have been handled since I’ve been hurt,” Eichel said. “I’d be lying to say that things have moved smoothly since my injury. So, yeah, there’s been a bit of a disconnect, I think, from the organization and myself. It’s been tough at times.

“Right now, for me, I think the most important thing is just trying to get healthy and figure out a way to be available to play hockey next year wherever that might be.”

Wherever. That. Might. Be.

Those weren’t Eichel’s final words of the day — not even close — but they might have been the last words of his Buffalo career. The 24-year-old was already fed up with losing. Adding personal issues to the professional woes has created a lethal combination.

“But for now, obviously, I’m here,” Eichel said. “I’m the captain of this hockey team and my goal is to be available to try and help the guys in the room and help this organization win hockey games. I’ll continue to do that as long as I’m here.”

The clock is ticking.

“As an organization, I’m sure that they’re considering every option and what they want to do moving forward,” Eichel said. “I guess we’ll just wait and see what happens.”

What’ll likely happen is a trade. Few things are as important to athletes as their health. Their bodies got them to the top and are the instruments that keep them there. Eichel has been a fitness freak since his teen years, so being told he doesn’t know what’s best for himself has created a gap that likely can’t be bridged.

“My own camp on one page and the team on another, that’s been tough,” Eichel said. “I mean, listen, my No. 1 interest and my No. 1 goal is Jack Eichel, you know what I mean? You’ve got to look after yourself. You’ve got to look after what’s best for yourself. The organization has a similar job to do, but it’s to look after what’s best for the Buffalo Sabres.

“Things maybe just haven’t been very black and white, to put in perspective. We’re all trying to educate ourselves on the situation and what would be best moving forward. There’s been some tough conversations, but I’ve got to do what’s best for me.”

Without seeing Eichel’s medical records, it’s impossible to speculate whether rehab or surgery is the best option. Clearly, there are doctors voting against spinal invasion procedures, but Eichel is confident in his preferred option.

“It’s a pretty quick recovery,” he said. “It’s not bad. It’s a quicker recovery. Just like anyone in my position, you just want to try and put yourself in as good a position as you can to be ready to rock when the puck drops next year. That’s my goal.

“I’ve talked to a whole heck of a lot of people and a lot of different opinions, so just try to inform myself as much as I can.”

One thing Eichel knows all about is the spotlight. His name entered the rumor mill last offseason, resulting in trade speculation from New York to Los Angeles. The chatter will be endless now that his strained relationship with the Sabres is public knowledge.

“You guys got to write about something, right?” Eichel said with a grin before laying out the serious facts. “We haven’t had enough success and I haven’t had enough success. I’ve not obtained the goals that I’ve set forth for myself as a professional hockey player in making the playoffs, winning, being successful.

“Whenever that happens, I think you’re always vulnerable for rumor mills and potential trades.”

General manager Kevyn Adams, who is scheduled to meet the media Wednesday, will be getting calls on Eichel’s good buddy, too. Six years of losing and another last-place finish has sucked the life out of Reinhart, a restricted free agent who is just 14 months from unrestricted free agency.
Kevyn Adams may have to oversee another Sabres rebuild. (Photo by Bill Wippert / NHLI via Getty Images)

“It’s unfortunate that in this business you almost need to kind of reset,” Reinhart said. “It’s just unfortunate for me being here how often that reset is.

“No one wants to go through a rebuild, especially going into next year turning 26 at the start of it.”

Reinhart was the Sabres’ most productive player this season, stepping up in Eichel’s absence with 25 goals and 40 points in 54 games.

“Honestly, there’s not much to take right now (from this season),” he said. “Not really looking to be in the business just to be in games.”

Even if Buffalo offered Reinhart a long-term deal, it doesn’t sound like he’d be interested.

“In terms of the future, I don’t really have much for you right now,” Reinhart said. “That stuff’s all going to get figured out when the time comes.”

In theory, Adams doesn’t have to move Eichel or Reinhart. Eichel has five seasons left on his contract at $10 million per year, and his no-movement clause doesn’t kick in until July 2022. Reinhart is under team control for one more season.

But come on. If the captain and an alternate captain aren’t buying in, why would anyone else? Buffalo has an NHL record-tying 10-year playoff drought. Keeping disgruntled players is a sure-fire way to reach 11.

Reinhart’s stock is high, being in the top 10 in goals. After playing right wing for five seasons, he showed versatility by succeeding at center when Eichel went down. Adams’ goal would be to find a similar player who has more than one year of team control.

The last time Eichel was healthy, in 2019-20, he finished eighth in Hart Trophy voting with 36 goals and 78 points in 68 games. He stumbled to just two goals and 18 points in 21 games this season but detailed a laundry list of reasons. In addition to the herniated disk, Eichel had a sprained ankle, suffered a broken rib before training camp and played through an abdominal injury that’s lingered since 2019-20 and is “unresolved.”

“I have a lot more to give and to show to people,” Eichel said. “When I was in the lineup, I definitely didn’t contribute and play as well as I needed to play and as well as this team needed me to play. That’s just the hard truth. That’s what it comes down to: I was not good enough. I can look myself in the mirror and say, ‘Yeah, you weren’t good enough this year. The times where you were in the lineup, you weren’t good enough.’

“I’ve got to be better hockey player, and that’s what it comes down to: Got to get healthy and get myself prepared for next year but got to be better.”

Eichel is already good enough to generate a massive trade haul. The Sabres would need a first-line center in return for Eichel along with at least one top prospect and multiple draft picks. Odds are good the Sabres would lose any trade since Adams is dealing from a position of weakness, but getting those three pieces of a player, prospects and picks could make the deal close.

Even with Eichel and Reinhart, what the Sabres have isn’t working. They purposely fell to the bottom of the NHL in 2014 and 2015 to get great draft picks. They selected Reinhart at No. 2 in 2014 and Eichel at No. 2 in 2015.

The Sabres have finished 23rd, 26th, 31st, 27th, 25th and 31st since then. While Eichel is an All-Star and Reinhart is a first-line player, Buffalo could swap them out and add the incoming pieces to a new core featuring Rasmus Dahlin, Dylan Cozens and others.

The results might not be pretty right away, leading to more suffering by the fans, but it’s not like things are great now.

“The losing stuff, it takes a toll,” Eichel said. “I’m frustrated.”

The hockey world is well-aware of that. The hockey world will also be watching to see where Buffalo sends Eichel and Reinhart.

“I’m sure that there’ll be changes coming,” Eichel said. “I don’t know what they’ll be, but just like you, I guess I’ll wait and see.”

Both Eichel and Reinhart seem to be over the Sabres completely, and Ristolainen told Adams he would be open to a trade. This is going to be a total tear-down, AGAIN, for Buffalo.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Carwash oval office posted:

Maurice really does give interviews though. I think that helps him with job security, he gives reporters so much good (positive) stuff to write about that they don’t want to run him out of town.

He would be great on Coach's Corner and the gently caress away from my hockey team.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Carwash oval office posted:

Was Maurice the Leafs coach after their golden Gilmour years? When they were a terrible team who grinded all year to miss the playoffs by one point?

Some quick research says yes he was. Those were such bad teams that got so much attention on our Canadian national networks. Darcy Tucker just can’t be the face of a franchise.

There was over a ten-year gap between the golden Gilmour years and when Maurice became coach. There was even another golden team in between!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

There was over a ten-year gap between the golden Gilmour years and when Maurice became coach. There was even another golden team in between!

That just broke me. I skipped over the Sundin years. gently caress I’m old.