Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
keep the faith, boy adventurers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

right, tv news choppers started as a pretty oddball thing

https://epicmagazine.com/whatgoesup/

This guy is an idiot and my hero

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

The good thing about having such a small core writing/voice acting team is that if something can come together to bring it back, it won't have much trouble with getting the band back together. That's always a risk when a show goes on extended hiatus or is cancelled: Not being able to reunite the key people because they've all moved on to other projects.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That was an issue for Arrested Development. Everyone had moved on so half of that first season back was green screen shots of one character. It also helps that this show is a cartoon, so no one really need to be in the same places. All you have to do is get whoever is directing to be able to hear the voice actor.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
When I first saw this I thought it was Brock and some new VBs content.

https://twitter.com/polygon/status/1387048312000237590?s=21

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I was surprised by how close Invincible's animation felt to VB. Just without the impeccable style and taste of Doc and Jackson.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I was continuing my watch of Star Trek last night and I got to "Who Mourns for Adonais?" in which everyone is being held hostage by Apollo.

They are trying to figure out what this entity is and Kirk says "What if he actually IS Apollo."

So yeah, I can't be SURE that's where the line in "Every which way but Zeus" came from, but I had a good laugh.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
All pissed off because no one believes in Apollo anymore.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That's the only episode of Star Trek I've ever seen, it baffles me that people take the show so seriously

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It is an especially silly episode.

Cojawfee posted:

All pissed off because no one believes in Apollo anymore.

That is, quite succinctly, the plot of the episode.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I am thirsty and it is fruit punch and it is delicious!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Cloks posted:

I am thirsty and it is fruit punch and it is delicious!

TURSTAY!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Gaius Marius posted:

That's the only episode of Star Trek I've ever seen, it baffles me that people take the show so seriously

With a sample size of one, that should not surprise you.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Gaius Marius posted:

You may want to check out almost any other episode.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Like the classic, Spock's Brain.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Like the classic, Spock's Brain.

Brain and brain. What is brain?

Also whenever you post in this thread I misread your name as Ghost Robot

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Sash! posted:

You may want to check out almost any other episode.

Kesper North posted:

With a sample size of one, that should not surprise you.

I've seen the Futurama episode and the Episode of mad men with the Negron Complex so I think I've got a good understanding of the series

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Gaius Marius posted:

I've seen the Futurama episode and the Episode of mad men with the Negron Complex so I think I've got a good understanding of the series

A little bit reductive and leaves out the best episodes featuring The Sisko entirely...

But I can live with it.

I can live with it.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

In a fun twist of fate, the guy that played Apollo replayed the role in a pretty dope fan-made finale season to Star Trek's original run.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G-ziTBAkbQ

As a content warning the guy who led out the series and stars as kirk has been outted as a sex pest – issues well documented here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3898015&pagenumber=1. If you're ok with separation of art from artist worth checking out the reprise tho imo. Effort from others involved is worth the attention at least.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Apr 30, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

TAS is mandatory, giant Spock, Satan and Kzinti all

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Kesper North posted:

Also whenever you post in this thread I misread your name as Ghost Robot

fingers....fingers....fingers....

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

the double whammy of "GREETINGS, BROCK SAMSON!" and "no, don't point!" makes me laugh every time

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Kesper North posted:

Spock's Brain is a better parody than any intentional parody

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

:rip: Tawny Kitaen, the woman who broke up White Lion

https://twitter.com/matthewbwake/status/1391134330571968512?s=20

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

she will carry the blame forevermore on her hot, silky shoulders

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

“What was David Coverdale to do?” Is probably my favorite single Doc line read

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

“What was David Coverdale to do?” Is probably my favorite single Doc line read

I want to hear these conversations Brock and Doc had about popular music.

I've never listened to a podded cast before, but I'd listen to Doc and Brock Music Talk.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
A Venture Bros Podcast would be great.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

SeanBeansShako posted:

A Venture Bros Podcast would be great.

It is. It's called the commentaries.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

The whole show is two dudes riffing with each other in a mutual ramble and love fest. It's already a podcast.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

feedmyleg posted:

It is. It's called the commentaries.

those get interrupted every 22 minutes when clearly they should be three to four hours long

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I'm calling them podded casts from now on.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

One of the big charms of the show imo is that pretty much every combination of characters can at least once be seen just hanging out and shooting the poo poo, killing time and talking about random topics. Hank and Dean making jokes and shared pop culture references to liven up a long car ride, Brock and HeLPer talking about various topics in the car, the infamous 'mournful tits'... actually a theme is killing time on long commutes. Gives such a realistic touch to a show with so much globetrotting and travel to and from adventure destinations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

"Listen to those lyrics, man! It's all about love, and longing!"
:psylon:
"...yes, and Hobbits too"

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jzhz1l2zUMQ

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also comes to mind one thing I realised; at least in comparison to Jonas, Rusty can be verified as actually a dad. He spends times with his kids, plays Parcheesi rather than chess, has come up with a Doctail based on Hank's Halloween games, and in general knows how to have fun at home with his kids rather than just ignoring them while throwing key parties. Despite Doc's attempts to emulate his own upbringing because that's all he knows, the boys are around the level of merely sheltered rather than totally dysfunctional.

I suppose that's a generational thing; Jonas was a party parent/all-week weekend dad who completely neglected actually teaching Rusty to function, both in the role of a super-scientist and in everyday society. As a result, adventuring is the only life Rusty knows, but he doesn't get invited to nearly as many parties or have nearly as many friends, so his attempts to emulate his father's lifestyle are a shallow imitation. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
My guess is Jonas never wanted a kid, Jonas wanted a *clone* because he strikes me as the "I'll live forever because SCIENCE so I can be amoral and terrible now because eventually anyone/everyone who knows about it or cares will be dead eventually."

But he got Rusty instead. So Rusty was the walking, talking representation of his failure to achieve immortality and he treated him accordingly.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I would like to see a Venture Bros character that pulls that off. Like they raise their clone and then eventually find a way to transplant their own brain into the clone. Except, their brain gets too old, so they are just a demented old man in a 20 year old body.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
You mean Hank?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I do wonder if someone like Ben screwed up Jonas' plans by randomizing enough of Rusty's DNA to thwart his plans, but didn't do a good enough job, hence JJ.