Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, pipewire seems to be breaking the streak of catastrophic audio efforts on linux. mostly goes a long way that it has a clear purpose (literally piping around media in reasonable formats in a containerized virtualized world) rather than unscoped generalization

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
FWIW I switched to pipewire on a lark and it works fine? The only thing that doesn't work is all applications immediately moving to the new output when I switch primary outputs, but since I just have to drag&drop the application to its proper output I'm not too annoyed by it.

I did notice that changing volume is instant now instead of having a ~200ms delay.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
U-he released Linux versions of all their vsts so I’m not going to bother going through the nightmare of hosting windows vsts in wine

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Amethyst posted:

the nightmare of hosting windows vsts in wine

what the gently caress?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

https://github.com/psycha0s/airwave

Maybe it’s ok idk

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
that is incredible in a very "why would you do this?" way

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I have a lot of old poo poo that cost hundreds of dollars that I can’t run in Linux unless I try that weird method. I get why some bother but the u-he stuff is great

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I am reminded of that weird php java bridge I saw in production once. When you want to use lucene but you are writing php code………

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

there’s also a php interpreter for the JVM

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
We used to have need for an SVG interface in PHP that was some garbage-tier C bindings to a Gnome library which, lol, required the entire loving gnome desktop as a dependency on all our web servers.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

shoeberto posted:

We used to have need for an SVG interface in PHP that was some garbage-tier C bindings to a Gnome library which, lol, required the entire loving gnome desktop as a dependency on all our web servers.

You've been gnomed

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

shoeberto posted:

linux desktops on the servers.
the legends were true.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Dont Touch ME posted:

You've been gnomed

lol'd irl

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

ynohtna posted:

linux desktops on the servers.
the legends were true.

I found a debian box today in a vmware cluster that gave me an xdm session when I consoled into it

loving terrifying

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

I found a debian box today in a vmware cluster that gave me an xdm session when I consoled into it

loving terrifying

it's beautiful,a ctually

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
Password: gali

I'm in ... this is unix - I know this!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

client did a generator test in the middle of the afternoon and a btrfs volume on a synology nas ate poo poo. RAID1 saved it somehow, not gonna argue

butterfs: melts when exposed to heat

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
Btrfs: makes your data toast

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

It is still baffling to me how you can make a COW fs that still eats poo poo after getting interrupted. Having guaranteed atomicity is the point of that entire exercise ffs.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

btrfs works fine, stop whining

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
it’s honestly mind boggling how some people still have the balls to trust btrfs. mad respect honestly.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

well you see some day larry ellison might finally decide to get mad at me, specifically, and put my data in danger if i put it on zfs according to my slashdot law degree. therefore its perfectly rational to have it constantly in danger on btrfs

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

the only issue i've seen myself with btrfs was icky free space calculation when the file system was pretty new. been a user since 2012. had lots of issues with xfs back around 2008/2009 ish when it had that fun let's-truncate-all-open-non-fsynced files during unexpected poweroffs.

you're holding it wrong.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'm pretty sure the creators of btrfs haven't murdered their spouses, so it's got that going for it

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

infernal machines posted:

i'm pretty sure the creators of btrfs haven't murdered their spouses, so it's got that going for it

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Nope, only their spouses data

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

they just thought up the name after looking at them

btrface

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
well gently caress, I guess picking btrfs for no reason on my current install was as stupid and arbitrary as it seemed

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I don’t know a single valid reason for choosing btrfs over ext4 in 2021 other than “file system forces users to keep regular tested backups”

mystes
May 31, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

I don’t know a single valid reason for choosing btrfs over ext4 in 2021 other than “file system forces users to keep regular tested backups”
Btrfs has a bunch of features that would actually be very useful if it wasn't like putting your data through a cheese grater.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

infernal machines posted:

i somewhat wonder how badly he screwed trying to get parole in 2020 and now has to wait till 2023.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

crazysim posted:

i somewhat wonder how badly he screwed trying to get parole in 2020 and now has to wait till 2023.

it's hard to imagine him ever convincing a parole board he should be let out. he's so sociopathic and narcissistic i doubt he's capable of genuine reform, and so far up his own rear end that he seems incapable of hiding exactly who he is

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/hans-reiser-defends-himself/2095757/

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah
Truly a linux programmer

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Kazinsal posted:

In theory, btrfs could offer features like ZFS, which would actually be really cool.

Like, if your fs guarantees atomicity you can disable a bunch of safeguards in your DB of choice which improves performance a lot (btrfs instead recommends disabling COW for DB files, which is utterly rear end-backwards).

We cut backup times of a 120TB dataset from >24h to a few minutes using native ZFS send/receive, which btrfs can also do.

It just sucks that btrfs sucks so much.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

no it doesn't

you should always choose btrfs before zfs if you're on linux

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

this seems like a very roundabout way of telling people not to use linux

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

well, if you don't want to have the best file system then suit yourself!

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

BobHoward posted:

it's hard to imagine him ever convincing a parole board he should be let out. he's so sociopathic and narcissistic i doubt he's capable of genuine reform, and so far up his own rear end that he seems incapable of hiding exactly who he is

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/hans-reiser-defends-himself/2095757/

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

I guess nobody’s all bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Soricidus posted:

I guess nobody’s all bad