Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Has anyone ever been successfully canceled?

Lowtax I guess...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

letthereberock posted:

Oh no these dastardly Russians might reveal that our cops are violent and corrupt how will we ever recover from this?

Well, they're threatening to leak CI lists which will get people killed

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

zoux posted:

Newsmax should prooobably have their White House press pass yanked, not sure why that hasn't happened

Technically, the White House Press Association determines who gets the press passes. Newsmax is a member of the WHPA.

The White House could just explicitly deny entry to the White House grounds to any Newsmax reporter. This is what Trump did to Jim Acosta for a few days before he backed down.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Also, as noted by the article and more damning in this context, housing commissioner under Mayor Michael Bloomberg.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/DanEggenWPost/status/1392180303863627778

quote:

“Technology is the first thing. If anyone has seen the television show ‘24,’ they would die if they saw what the Secret Service has. It’s a joke.”

My working theory on conservatives is that everything they think and do makes total sense if you realize that they think TV and movies are real.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

You ever wonder how it came to be that so many Roman emperors were killed by their own guards?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

You ever wonder how it came to be that so many Roman emperors were killed by their own guards?

It never stops being surreal that Trump a great loving load himself has this overwhelming hatred for fat people.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

quote:

Trump wanted the Secret Service to redesign the black fence surrounding the White House because he thought it looked “too much like a prison,” and proposed a multimillion-dollar renovation “to dig up and replace all the lowered gates, because he hated the bump he felt when his limo drove over them.” His advisers ultimately kept delaying the expensive project, hoping he would simply forget, Leonnig writes.

Lol, it's like a microcosm of the entire four years of slow-walking Trump's diseased brain.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/DanEggenWPost/status/1392180303863627778

My working theory on conservatives is that everything they think and do makes total sense if you realize that they think TV and movies are real.

This is absolutely true. Their brains have rotted from TV and Movies that only validate what they already think.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
biology is weird and you can still have a beer belly but still be strong/fitter than avg , no?

unless I knew a particular agent was unfit, I wouldnt mess with them.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1392090691908640770

You know we have to make a living as extraordinarily overpaid lobbyists when we leave office, Joe

Honestly, this kind of feels like the kind of thing where the reason to float this is to get some narrow carve-outs that they'll put in campaign ads. Like, okay, sure, what is the impact on allowing an exemption for real property used as both a primary residence and farming territory up to X acres? Probably basically nothing, the vast majority of people will never even see the obscure form that checkbox is on, and then whatever rural Dem can play up how they introduced the amendment for their district or whatever specific donor is pestering them about it.

Point by point:
-I think the corpo rate is should be non-negotiable, since it has great public polling, but it sounds like this is a predicted cave. I'd rather they come up with some bullshit "small business" exception to the rules rather than give Bezos and whoever a bunch of free money, but we'll see
-Doubling the cap gains tax "for those over $1M" seems really misleading to me, it's framed as though it's a "tax on millionaires", but it's literally just making it taxable in line with regular income, the actual cites are just Menendez and Warner saying "it seems high". That doesn't really indicate that it's dead, just needs to be messaged as "no longer treating capital gains as categorically different from other income" instead of "raising the capital gains tax"
-Making an exception on inheritance tax for family farms was literally always the plan, p sure. Even if they made all real property used for farming exempt, it probably would have minimal impact on how much tax is collected, considering that most of that land is probably held by a corp anyway, not to mention the vast difference in value between rural farmland and urban developments.
-I'm mostly ambivalent on the SALT situation, I think it makes sense to remove the cap but I also think it doesn't really fit the overall goals of this specific bill and the people making noises about it are in the House, where we can lose a few, rather than in the Senate, where we can't.
-I have no clue what the details are on the international tax changes, so I basically don't care. The person they cite in the article is from the some guy from the Chamber of Commerce, and he doesn't get to vote, so it's kind of not part of the same conversation as the rest of these, where they can point to a specific House or Senate member.

BougieBitch fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 11, 2021

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/AlanSuderman/status/1392176353722740742

Uh, I think if that stuff shows up in a background check you're not supposed to hire them

I recognize in advance I’m nitpicking and reading way more into what you posted and you’re probably right about whatever is in there about the cops, BUT I feel obliged to point out that, as someone who’s spent a lot of time working with juvenile offenders, including young people convicted of sex offenses, there are lots of excellent reasons why that sort of thing can and sometimes should be expunged from their record, and it’s a very good thing! It involves a ton of work and treatment and whatnot, but while it’s sealed court records and whatnot, it’d still make sense for someone to disclose that background in a psychological evaluation or some such, which are common in law enforcement hiring processes.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
LOL a USSS agent was cucking Donald Trump Jr. and blew up his marriage.

Another agent blasted so many ropes inside of Tiffany Trump that they had to reassign him.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

FMguru posted:

Another agent blasted so many ropes inside of Tiffany Trump that they had to reassign him.

What?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Flopsy posted:

It never stops being surreal that Trump a great loving load himself has this overwhelming hatred for fat people.

Not that surprising, when reddit hosted those fat hate subreddits the participants would frequently be outed as overweight themselves. Dunno if it's a self loathing deal or a self delusion deal but with someone who is as narcissistic as Trump, he could literally think he is in good shape.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/may/11/trump-family-members-secret-service

quote:

In her new book, she writes that Secret Service agents reported that Vanessa Trump, the wife of the president’s oldest son, Donald Trump Jr, “started dating one of the agents who had been assigned to her family”.

Vanessa Trump filed for an uncontested divorce in March 2018. Leonnig reports that the agent concerned did not face disciplinary action as neither he nor the agency were official guardians of Vanessa Trump at that point.

Leonnig also writes that Tiffany Trump, Donald Trump’s daughter with his second wife, Marla Maples, broke up with a boyfriend and “began spending an unusual amount of time alone with a Secret Service agent on her detail”.

Secret Service leaders, the book says, “became concerned at how close Tiffany appeared to be getting to the tall, dark and handsome agent”.

Agents are prohibited from forming personal relationships with those they protect, out of concern that such feelings could cloud their judgment.

Both Tiffany Trump and the agent said nothing untoward was happening, Leonnig writes, and pointed out the nature of the agent’s job meant spending time alone with his charge. The agent was subsequently reassigned.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

FMguru posted:

Really?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

It is kind of amazing that no modern President has been assassinated based on this track record.

quote:

On Sept. 11, 2001, Secret Service agents raced Vice President Richard B. Cheney to a secure underground bunker below the White House — only to realize that they couldn’t immediately usher him inside to safety because they didn’t have the tightly guarded S-keys required to open the shelter.

quote:

Almost a decade later, Secret Service agents allowed a disoriented homeless man to wander through an unguarded staircase and get within steps of first lady Michelle Obama’s suite at the Beverly Hilton hotel.

quote:

A dozen agents and officers stood accused of turning a presidential trip to a South American resort town into a kind of Vegas bachelor party, complete with heavy drinking and prostitutes.

quote:

"Take us where the girls are,” one agent directs his taxi driver, and so the night begins, with Leonnig chronicling the escapades down to the minutia (“a mojito and at least eight beers”) and through a dispute about payment (“He vaguely remembered her saying something as they left the club about wanting money for sex. But $800?”) that helped propel the incident into an international scandal and led one member of the Counter Assault Team to later declare, “I woke up to a nightmare.”

quote:

Leonnig describes a “wheels up, rings off” culture — wedding rings and vows are removed when the plane lifts up to its next destination — where sex often proves a complicating factor, for the agents and protectees alike.

quote:

Donald Trump III, Trump’s 8-year-old grandson, once awoke in the back of his detail’s sport utility vehicle to find that an agent who was supposed to be protecting him had instead crawled into the back of the truck to snap a selfie with the unsuspecting young charge, Leonnig writes.

quote:

And following the deadly Jan. 6 insurrection at the U.S. Capitol, spurred on by Trump, some agents took to social media to express solidarity with the rioters. “One Secret Service officer called the armed protesters ‘patriots’ seeking to undo an illegitimate election,” Leonnig writes, “and falsely claimed to her friends that disguised antifa members had started the violence.”

President Biden’s transition advisers were so wary of Trump’s damaging hold on the agency that they urged the Secret Service to swap out all members of Trump’s protective detail before Biden was officially sworn in, Leonnig reports.

Also, there were apparently HUNDREDS of attempts on Obama's life that were unreported or thwarted by the FBI before they could happen.

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?
These office intrigue books...I dunno offhand how true they are, especially when they confirm so neatly to what we want to hear/read about.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Ither posted:

In the future, is it possible for the Fed to make policies like this (ex: medicare expansion) compulsory?

Medicare is a federally run program, which means if it were expanded states wouldn't be able to opt out of it.

Medicaid is state-by-state, so the ACA expansion was controlled by each state.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Has anyone ever been successfully canceled? Because from what I can tell canceled people are still around and free to do whatever they want.

Like, the only examples of 'canceling' I can think that have stuck have been things like 'committed horrific sex crimes for many years', and even then it's not a guarantee and seems more like just being charged with a crime rather than "canceling".

Louis CK did sexpev harassment and his movie got canceled while he was filming and he has barely been in the public eye since.

Weinstein went to jail. Epsteins dead. Cosby went to jail and won't work again. Matt Gaetz is probably going to jail. Matt Lower's career is over.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

whydirt posted:

The Medicaid expansion from the ACA was compulsory until SCOTUS ruled against it!

They ruled against it bc the ACA had set up an all-or-nothing rule regarding the expansion & all Medicaid funding. Even the libs on scotus considered that a bridge too far.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

The Sean posted:

Yeah, why would you justify body-shaming someone? Weird that you would even ask.

Edit: also how do you even get ginger skin "by choice?" So weird, racist, and mean-spirited.

this is so hilariously stupid

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

quote:

A dozen agents and officers stood accused of turning a presidential trip to a South American resort town into a kind of Vegas bachelor party, complete with heavy drinking and prostitutes.
This is pretty much the status quo, the Secret Service are infamous horndogs. They travel out ahead of presidential visits and use that time to get up to all kinds of debauchery all around the world.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Also, there were apparently HUNDREDS of attempts on Obama's life that were unreported or thwarted by the FBI before they could happen.

Plus the time a random dude with a gun ended up in the same elevator as Obama purely by accident

Really it's amazing that only 4 presidents have been assassinated

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

:lol:

Please tell me crowned king of Dipshit Masculinity Don Jr. actually got cucked by the Secret Service :allears:

I might die laughing

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

TulliusCicero posted:

Please tell me crowned king of Dipshit Masculinity Don Jr. actually got cucked by the Secret Service :allears:

I might die laughing

It said his ex-wife got close to an agent after their marriage fell apart.

So, he probably did not get cucked. It's possible that something happened prior to that, but no evidence in the book.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The book also says that there were more than a dozen instances in the last 20 years of agents getting reprimanded and requiring additional training because they left their service weapon in a public bathroom or hotel.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Was the guy who dropped his gun out of his holster while breakdancing and shot someone secret service or FBI?

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

When does the facebook death threat escalate to an attempt on the President's life?

I'd be curious to learn more about the attempts they stopped, or just how stupid the plots were.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Was the guy who dropped his gun out of his holster while breakdancing and shot someone secret service or FBI?

The latter.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Olivia_Beavers/status/1392182214713040904

Perhaps a real conservative, from a real conservative state, maybe one who was chief of staff for a real conservative senator from a real conservative state. If we could find such a titan of conservatism of course.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/Olivia_Beavers/status/1392182214713040904

Perhaps a real conservative, from a real conservative state, maybe one who was chief of staff for a real conservative senator from a real conservative state. If we could find such a titan of conservatism of course.

I love that the worst examples he can find of Elise's betrayal of the conservative cause are:

- Voting for one version of the border wall and not for a different version.
- Supporting the equality act when she was campaigning (and then opposing it and voting against it in office).
- Voting for a bill to guarantee New York doesn't get any post offices closed.
- Voted for a non-binding resolution saying that pre-existing conditions should be covered.
- Said she supported a scaled-down version of the DREAM act for veterans.

These are the examples of her fighting to "advance the Democrats’ radical agenda."

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol

https://twitter.com/emilyngo/status/1392191054695256064?s=20

Flopsy posted:

The only SNL Trump skit that was any good was the POV where he's played by John Cena.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJ6WuWeBoY8

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 11, 2021

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

TulliusCicero posted:

I might die laughing
You'll need to order a defibrillator then

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Just own it and have MTG replace Cheney.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Groovelord Neato posted:

lol

The only SNL Trump skit that was any good was the POV where he's played by John Cena.

I liked the one from like 2002 when Darrel Hammond said "Cheezus Crust, what a pizza!"

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

BrokenKnees posted:

When does the facebook death threat escalate to an attempt on the President's life?

I'd be curious to learn more about the attempts they stopped, or just how stupid the plots were.

It looks like a lot of them "lacked the means" to actually carry out an attack, but discussed plans in private groups about it. I bet a lot of the "hundreds" of unreported instances came from situations like that. But, there were plenty of major real ones.

One of them was apparently a credible attack to bomb his inauguration.

quote:

Obama had a secret note in his pocket during his inauguration in case of an attack In 2009, the president-elect was warned of a ‘serious threat’ of terrorism at his swearing-in.

Emanuel was working on a contingency plan in case of an attack during the ceremony. Obama would need to instruct people how to evacuate and project calm. Emanuel wanted Obama to have a prepared statement to read, but the threat was a closely held secret. Obama had not even told his wife, Michelle.

“I can’t read the speechwriters into this, so I want you to write a brief statement for the President-elect,” Emanuel told Axelrod. “Meet him right before the ceremony in the Speaker’s office and give it to him. He’ll put it in his pocket in case it’s needed.”

Another time, someone shot at the East Wing of the White House (where one of the Obama daughters was inside) and the Secret Service didn't realize it until 4 days later when they found the bullet because the guard on duty thought it was a car backfiring.

quote:

November 2011: A man with a semiautomatic rifle parks in front of the White House and fires at the building, with Sasha Obama inside and Malia Obama on her way home. A Secret Service supervisor, mistaking the shots for car backfire, orders officers to stand down. The service does not figure out that shots hit the building for four days, and only then because a housekeeper noticed broken glass. The president and first lady are infuriated, The Post reports years later.

There was the incident where 3 random people not on the guestlist (one of whom said he wanted to punch Obama) were let into a state dinner.

And another time where:

quote:

Uniformed officers and agents failed to take out an intruder who raced into the White House with a knife and could have been armed with explosives until 45 seconds after he entered the White House.

quote:

After uniformed officers failed to take out 42-year-old Omar J. Gonzalez when he hopped over the fence and ran into the White House, the Secret Service issued a statement saying the officers intentionally allowed him to pass because they “showed restraint.”

quote:

On a regular basis, to appease White House or campaign staffs, Secret Service officials order agents to ignore basic security rules and let people into events without being put through a magnetometer or metal detector.

quote:

May 2013: A Secret Service supervisor leaves a bullet in a woman’s room at the Hay-Adams hotel, which overlooks the White House, and allegedly leaves his Presidential security detail and tries to force his way into the room to retrieve it.

quote:

March 2014: Three Secret Service agents responsible for protecting Obama in Amsterdam are placed on leave after a night of drinking, in violation of Secret Service rules. One of the agents is passed out drunk in a hallway, The Post reports. The newspaper reports that the three are part of what is known as the counter assault team, a last line of defense responsible for fighting off assailants if the president or his motorcade comes under attack.

quote:

Sept. 16, 2014: In perhaps the most chilling of the Secret Service lapses, a security contractor with a gun and an assault record gets on an elevator with the president during a trip to Atlanta. The Post, citing people familiar with the incident, reports that the contractor used his cellphone to take video of Obama and did not stop when Secret Service agents told him to. The Secret Service only learns that the man has a gun when he is fired on the spot and turns it over. Obama was not told, The Post reports.

quote:

Sept. 19, 2014: An Iraq war veteran with a knife jumps the White House fence, dashes through the North Portico doors and makes it deep inside the building, into the East Room, before he is tackled, and only then by an off-duty Secret Service agent. A congressman tells The Post that a security alarm was disabled because White House and Secret Service staff nearby found it too noisy.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 11, 2021

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool the nra managed to get hosed IN A TEXAS COURT

HOW BAD DO YOU HAVE TO gently caress UP AS THE NRA TO GET YOUR BANKRUPTCY THROWN OUT IN TEXAS WHEN YOU ARE CLAIMING THAT NEW YORK IS TOO MEAN TO GUN OWNERS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007

letthereberock posted:

And NH wasn’t even especially close. It seems, unlikely you’re gonna find 60,000 votes to throw out in a state with less than a million votes total.

Every Presidential election there’s a conspiracy theory in NH that lots of Democratic Massachusetts residents illegally vote in NH. It’s so incredibly dumb but it even predates the Trump era.

So related but not directly, I work in NH with a bunch of extremely right wing individuals(all in sales, weird) who are super into Trump. Due to Covid travel restrictions last summer, NH had a HUGE influx of tourists from southern New England who decided that if they couldn’t travel for their vacations they’d just come to NH. Well turns out a lot of them loved it and decided to move here permanently since work from home options now allow them to do so. As a result we have the hottest housing market in the country and more population growth than ever before, and it is starting to dawn on the Trumpers that most of the people moving to NH are not conservative.

What you’re likely seeing is the last ditch efforts by them to try and hold the state as gentrification slowly rips it from their grasp. It has been fun watching them try to do mental gymnastics to claim how horrible the transplants are while at the same time bragging about how much their houses are now worth. Maine is undergoing a similar wave of gentrification, so it is very unlikely either state is going to be a toss-up for much longer.