Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Venom seems to have the early but perennial superhero movie problem where the villain has to be connected to the hero because they can't possibly have any source of superpowers outside of the same one the protagonist has, so you end up with either this or comical mismatches with powerless thugs and tech bros.

Which is funny, because Spider-Man doesn’t tend to have this problem. Green Goblin, Doc Ock, and Sandman have nothing to do with Peter at all. Neither do Mysterio or Vulture in MCU Spider-Man. The Garfield movies fall into that trap a little (everything is connected to OsCorp) but even there Lizard or Electro have relatively little to do with SM.

Venom could easily do non-symbiote villains, I just think Sony is stretching out their Spider IP as much as they can, so why use Kraven or Morbius or Hobgoblin when you can make separate movies about them? People want that, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Does that mean that Morbius' nemesis is going to be a dude that spits blood and can only go out in the sunlight?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Woody and Hardy (lol) going full Venom Mode at the same time is going to be awesome
shame that the trailer is dark and desaturated as hell so the action will be terrible again but hopefully it will be balanced by more romcom hijinks

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Xealot posted:

Which is funny, because Spider-Man doesn’t tend to have this problem. Green Goblin, Doc Ock, and Sandman have nothing to do with Peter at all. Neither do Mysterio or Vulture in MCU Spider-Man. The Garfield movies fall into that trap a little (everything is connected to OsCorp) but even there Lizard or Electro have relatively little to do with SM.

Venom could easily do non-symbiote villains, I just think Sony is stretching out their Spider IP as much as they can, so why use Kraven or Morbius or Hobgoblin when you can make separate movies about them? People want that, right?

Yeah, I think it helps they were basically forced to do that because Spider-man's entire origin is absolutely a one-off, though then again 75% of his extensive rogues gallery are freak lab accidents.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Is he?

I thought he said he wants to do small budget movies and isn't doing anything except Zombie movies, an animated movie about Norse Mythology, and Ayn Rand adaptions for the foreseeable future.

Zack has talked about a number of ideas so far

There are a couple of spinoffs to his Zombie film going on, one's a prequel film, the other's an anime

The next film will probably be a small budget film called Horse Latitudes, production is delayed because of Covid, but it seems it's the next one he's gonna tackle. He hasn't said much about what the movie is about, but as I understand it it has to do with loss and death.

Aside from that, there's the Norse Mythology anime he's working on, he's talked about a sci fi starring a female lead, a King Arthur Movie as well as a movie about Napoleon.

He clearly has ideas, but time will tell which project he focuses on.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Snyder should shoot Kubrick's Napoleon script. Watch some heads really explode.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Kalko posted:

Taking this opportunity to post one of the greatest entrances in motion picture history :

https://i.imgur.com/2ANmnFM.mp4

Since The Death of Stalin is based on a graphic novel, does that make it a comic book movie?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Since The Death of Stalin is based on a graphic novel, does that make it a comic book movie?

It's based on Man of Steel right?

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Gatts posted:

I demand Maximum Carnage

But will settle for all actors going absolute HAM

Only if they get Juliette Lewis to play Shriek.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Xealot posted:

He wouldn't, definitely. But I very much want him to make an epic sci-fi/fantasy thing like Star Wars. The beginning of Man of Steel is better than most if not all of the Disney-Lucasfilm material, so I'm in for more of that.

The Krypton stuff in MoS is so pitch perfect in being weird, advanced, obviously sexually repressed but also trying to reject any connection to the natural environment that I get bummed thinking about how it's going to be discarded whenever they reboot Supes.

That said, there's plenty of weird SFF for Snyder to adapt. I'd love to see him take a shot at the Locked Tomb or Imperial Radch trilogies.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Should make an unrated cut called Maximum Carnage and a PG cut called Medium Carnage.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

RBA Starblade posted:

It's based on Man of Steel right?

Now I'm picturing Death of Stalin taking place in the Red Son timeline.

waddler
Jan 3, 2008

McCloud posted:

Aside from that, there's the Norse Mythology anime he's working on, he's talked about a sci fi starring a female lead, a King Arthur Movie as well as a movie about Napoleon.

He clearly has ideas, but time will tell which project he focuses on.

I accidentally read this list as a single entity, but I don’t think this is the first time Zach Snyder’s Fate has come up...

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

waddler posted:

I accidentally read this list as a single entity, but I don’t think this is the first time Zach Snyder’s Fate has come up...

I mean, I would absolutely watch a sci-fi fantasy re-telling of the King Arthur legend from Guinevere or Morgaine Le Fay's perspective that somehow intersects Norse mythology and - through time travel or immortality - ropes Napoleon into the action. That sounds great.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Xealot posted:

I mean, I would absolutely watch a sci-fi fantasy re-telling of the King Arthur legend from Guinevere or Morgaine Le Fay's perspective that somehow intersects Norse mythology and - through time travel or immortality - ropes Napoleon into the action. That sounds great.

Zack Snyder's Bill and Ted 4

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

if they’re just coming out and confirming there are no other supers or Spidermen in Venom’s universe yet I wonder if that means spider verse will end up being real. assuming Sony doesn’t seriously intend to do just a bunch of weird solo movies with Spider-Man villains

im still intensely dubious even with all the confirmed cameos that the new Spider-Man won’t just be another mysterio/pietro bait and switch with how not careful at all they’ve been with the “leaks”

like Holland Spidey is watching some in universe bad spider-man TV show and haha Alfred Molina is doc Ock in the show we got you

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Mandrel posted:

if they’re just coming out and confirming there are no other supers or Spidermen in Venom’s universe yet I wonder if that means spider verse will end up being real. assuming Sony doesn’t seriously intend to do just a bunch of weird solo movies with Spider-Man villains

im still intensely dubious even with all the confirmed cameos that the new Spider-Man won’t just be another mysterio/pietro bait and switch with how not careful at all they’ve been with the “leaks”

like Holland Spidey is watching some in universe bad spider-man TV show and haha Alfred Molina is doc Ock in the show we got you

It would rule if they did this but then it zooms in on the TV a bit and then the entire rest of the movie is all of these other Spider-Men/villains EXCEPT for Holland, like him turning on his TV as the credits roll is his entire role in the film.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Kalko posted:

Taking this opportunity to post one of the greatest entrances in motion picture history :

https://i.imgur.com/2ANmnFM.mp4

It does have some competition.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

waddler posted:

Not gonna lie, I think Fate's themes are right up Snyder's alley.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The obvious solution to Venom not having Spiderman around is either they're all set during the Blip, or they're before Peter became Spiderman. Duh.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Lord_Magmar posted:

The obvious solution to Venom not having Spiderman around is either they're all set during the Blip, or they're before Peter became Spiderman. Duh.

Or they're in some other world in the multiverse which we know is a thing.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

There are other superheroes in Venom’s world, they’re just Image Comics characters Savage Dragon and WildC.A.T.s, for maximum confusion.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Xealot posted:

There are other superheroes in Venom’s world, they’re just Image Comics characters Savage Dragon and WildC.A.T.s, for maximum confusion.

Venom v Dilbert

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Grendels Dad posted:

Venom v Dilbert

https://abgcomics.com/post/126442538026/sunday-strip-watchmen-its-pretty-much-a-very

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Took me a while to realize that that Venom never uses webbing and other Spidey things so he never got to touch Peter. Maybe that’s why he’s such a bro.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Invalid Validation posted:

Took me a while to realize that that Venom never uses webbing and other Spidey things so he never got to touch Peter. Maybe that’s why he’s such a bro.

Eddie might have "touched" Peter in the sense of stiff-arming him (pre-spider bite) while yelling "Outta the way, kid! I'm chasing a story!"

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

MonsieurChoc posted:

Not gonna lie, I think Fate's themes are right up Snyder's alley.

Just imagining the bit where Shirou takes control of Unlimited Blade Works and parts the stormclouds to reveal a blue sky while Archer is suddenly wracked with the memories and idealistic hopes of his past life he's spent his whole adulthood repressing and thinking Yeah, Yeah that's the kind of poo poo Snyder would have a great spin on

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/Matt_Sibley/status/1392523376619663361?s=19

No surprises there

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Even as someone who will defend plenty of Marvel films, it's worrying how little auteur autonomy is being left in their pipeline; the directors dont direct the action sequences (over a third of most of these films), the editors work on set coloring guidelines, and they're not permitting showrunner-writers who can put their spin on the project.

You'd think TV would be the place they'd allow some autonomy. Netflix aimed for a different tone from Disney, had their own flops, Agents of Shield did *waves hands* and the Marvel machine still printed money, what's the harm?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

disney as an organization is pathologically obsessed with their Brand, is why. Its not just enough that something makes money; it has to make money the way Disney says it should. This is the same company that would, if given the opportunity, destroy every extant record that Song of the South ever actually existed as a film so that they could just pretend that the br'er rabbit gang only exist as Marketable Branding Characters for splash mountain. This is the company that got caught retouching set photos of the original Star Wars to remove cigarettes because Carrie Fisher having smoked in 1977 is considered unacceptable for the Disney 2020 Brand. Disney doesn't care if a director can print money for them doing things their way, because if the director is doing things their way that means Disney doesn't have a hand firmly on the steering wheel to keep them from leaving the center lane.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Neurolimal posted:

You'd think TV would be the place they'd allow some autonomy. Netflix aimed for a different tone from Disney, had their own flops, Agents of Shield did *waves hands* and the Marvel machine still printed money, what's the harm?
Why would you ever make a million dollars when, with a little more Management, you could make $1.1 million? You're only thinking about the money they're making; corporate executives think about the theoretically infinite amount of money that they could be making.

Asset management completely takes over the artistic process in order to make as much money as possible. Even the brand obsession is just instrumental; rewriting history is the same as discarding old machinery to them. The goal is to make the artistic process into an industrial manufacturing process that can be predictably controlled and endlessly fine-tuned to make even more money.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Halloween Jack posted:

Asset management completely takes over the artistic process in order to make as much money as possible. Even the brand obsession is just instrumental; rewriting history is the same as discarding old machinery to them. The goal is to make the artistic process into an industrial manufacturing process that can be predictably controlled and endlessly fine-tuned to make even more money.

Related but these Megacorps are usually averse to risk and double down on stuff that's worked until it starts failing. Marvel's made tens of billions under Feige, they're going to let him run all of it until the flops start hitting the bottom line.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It's also sounds pretty similar to the way marvel comics worked/works.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I'm kind of curious of what people's lived experiences as the directors and writers on the series have been like. Like a showrunner can also stomp down on the creativity on talent, and there are shows where writers don't really get to do anything and are just glorified editors for a creative genius. They can act like bullies locking people out of the room like Sam Simon did for years to women writers on The Simpsons or like creepy gurus who abuse their power like Dan Harmon or Matthew Weiner.

it's Marvel and I'm aware of them not just making story elements straight edict but also storyboarding movies before there is even a proper creative team. So, not really going to go to bat for them being a bastion for artistic vision. But I'm not totally against the idea of a traditional showrunner being challenged.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
What is the practical difference between not having a show runner and having a series of shows all made by the same director/producer ala J.J. Abrams or Shondaland?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

What is the practical difference between not having a show runner and having a series of shows all made by the same director/producer ala J.J. Abrams or Shondaland?
Producers like that can be more of guiding influences or original creators than actually serving the day to day writing and production. A showrunner is exactly what it sounds like. It's the person in the thick of it, usually managing the writer's room and general creative direction of the show. Sometimes it's a more mercenary like position, but it can often be the creator of the show. They can take on other roles like directing, but in general TV has always been a bit more writer-centric than film.

EDIT: To be clear, Abrams and Shondland's shows all have/had showrunners who have more influence than what is being described in the Marvel stuff. I mean Abrams producing Lost and having Lindelof showrun is what eventually led to him actually making good stuff like The Leftovers.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 13, 2021

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

JJ doesn’t run shows, yeah. He comes up with the concept or gets pitched one from someone inside Bad Robot, it gets developed inside the company, and then JJ goes into the room and pitches the developed idea to a network or platform. Once it’s greenlit, he maybe directs the pilot to establish the style of the show, and once that’s done, it’s up to the showrunners. Like, Kurtzman and Orci cut their teeth on co-running Alias in the middle seasons, pitched JJ on Fringe, and then developed and ran that while working on M:I 3 and early work on Star Trek.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Well this is ironic.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/marvel-shang-chi-eternals-china-release-1234971166/

Shang-Chi might have trouble screening in China due to using the "real" Mandarin as a villain. Meanwhile, Eternals sees a similar issue but because of Chloe Zhao being a "persona-non-grata" for the CCP.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The MSJ posted:

Well this is ironic.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/marvel-shang-chi-eternals-china-release-1234971166/

Shang-Chi might have trouble screening in China due to using the "real" Mandarin as a villain. Meanwhile, Eternals sees a similar issue but because of Chloe Zhao being a "persona-non-grata" for the CCP.

Finally, some vindication for saying that retconning a "real" Mandarin in an Iron Man 3 DVD bonus short was a dumb idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

Finally, some vindication for saying that retconning a "real" Mandarin in an Iron Man 3 DVD bonus short was a dumb idea.
You don't understand, I read a wikipedia article about the Mandarin after seeing Iron Man thirteen years ago and that jogged my memory that I vaguely remember him from a lovely 90s cartoon so the Mandarin is an important character.