Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

JBP posted:

The lobber is crazy. Narrow maw or slug shotty is also great. Keep an eye on the extras and unlock the good ones. I absolutely bodied biome 3 with the slug.

I think I hate the shotgun because I fail the overload tap every time with it, same with the lobber and the one that shoots missiles. I love the game and want to keep pressing forward but after a good run where it feels like I'm going to press forward I fall into a challenge room against some weird miniboss that kicks my rear end and I have to walk away for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Target Track Jacket posted:

I think I hate the shotgun because I fail the overload tap every time with it, same with the lobber and the one that shoots missiles. I love the game and want to keep pressing forward but after a good run where it feels like I'm going to press forward I fall into a challenge room against some weird miniboss that kicks my rear end and I have to walk away for a bit.

You'll get used to it but I don't even bother with the lobber overload lol. I just mash and it keeps making GBS threads out globs.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
The lobber owns and is up there with the hollow seeker as best gun with minimal effort invested.

I don’t like the shotgun (or the dreadwhatever). Both are great up close but they don’t seem worth the danger of being up close. I’ll still pick one up if I see a good one. All the guns in this game feel good.

Apparently I’m missing a gun because I do not have that coilfang one people were talking about.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ultrachrist posted:

The lobber owns and is up there with the hollow seeker as best gun with minimal effort invested.

I don’t like the shotgun (or the dreadwhatever). Both are great up close but they don’t seem worth the danger of being up close. I’ll still pick one up if I see a good one. All the guns in this game feel good.

Apparently I’m missing a gun because I do not have that coilfang one people were talking about.

it's hidden in biome 4, in one of the smaller and more vertical room types. look for delphic visor orbs to shoot near the ceiling

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's crazy hw few people are doing the daily challenges.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Peak horseshit. Brought myself back from rest mode and the game was black except for the hud. Tried everything, ended up having to close the game and lost my run.

I don’t mind the roguelike conceit as long as I’m not losing runs to poor programming. This is absolutely unacceptable in a shipped game.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

veni veni veni posted:

It's crazy hw few people are doing the daily challenges.

Yeah I haven't been doing them. What do they give you? Just a fun challenge?

I actually would have had no clue they existed if not for the thread.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

You get ether, too.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I pretty much only did the daily for the trophy, rather try getting a no damage kill on Shrike for 5 ethers and usually the first two bosses drop a decent artifact

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

People aren't using the obolite repositories either, or they're pulling as many obolites out as they're putting in. Makes it really unlikely to actually see one complete, which means they aren't an fast source of ether any more. And hopefully there aren't many items that unlock only from the repositories because if so you're never going to get them.

Finally got the rotgland lobber and it's pretty beastly. One shot isn't bad when it recharges so fast, and it rips through enemies. I like it way better than the coilspine shredder despite having comparable firing modes and damage per hit. The timing on the recharge minigame sucks though.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Coilspine Shredder is the one weapon that I just really hate. No matter what mods I get on it, it seems to do absolutely sluggish DPS due to having to charge up the shots. I've never seen the bouncing gimmick really do anything of value, with how open most arenas are.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
The dailies may seem more underpopulated than they are because there are 6 different levels of daily, depending on how far you've progressed through the game.

I'd love for the devs to add some info to the databank matrix, I love filling out collectible lists and stuff like this but I mean it has literally no context. Short of painstakingly trying to increment research levels and check the matrix each time, its of no use whatsoever.

And yeah the coilfang thing has ended every run I've picked it up on. Same with the shotgun to a lesser extent.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Been waiting all day to go back and finish that B5 run I suspended last night. Am 10 minutes from when I’d normally sit down to play at night and the power just went out. :suicide:

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Anyone know if the wireseeker parasite that prevents malfunctions would prevent a critical one that I'd get from another parasite detaching? Anyone have a guess? Ready to attach another one since I have the +stagger artifact.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

HampHamp posted:

And yeah the coilfang thing has ended every run I've picked it up on. Same with the shotgun to a lesser extent.

With the shotgun you at least have slugs and narrow maw that make it much more usable. Those combined with the trait that refunds ammo if you hit most pellets make it in to a large monster blender.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

KingKapalone posted:

Anyone know if the wireseeker parasite that prevents malfunctions would prevent a critical one that I'd get from another parasite detaching? Anyone have a guess? Ready to attach another one since I have the +stagger artifact.

if you mean the kind that basically takes the bullet when you get a malfunction, then yes, the malfunction shouldn't even proc in the first place

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
One of the logs mentions avenging other deaths? I haven't seen that at all.
Another log she talks about killing another version of herself. Haven't seen that either. Did they cut multiplayer or something?

more ending chat
whoever mentioned it's somehow both too obtuse and too predictable is spot on.
clearly helios is supposed to be important but I don't really get what they are trying to portray. you are collecting fragments of the sun and it talks about putting him back together. And HELIOS ABANDONED is pretty on-the-nose.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

if you mean the kind that basically takes the bullet when you get a malfunction, then yes, the malfunction shouldn't even proc in the first place

Just tried it and it did pop the critical one, destroyed a resin so not too bad. The other parasite that prevents them is still attached.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

KingKapalone posted:

Just tried it and it did pop the critical one, destroyed a resin so not too bad. The other parasite that prevents them is still attached.

well poo poo, my bad. guess the conditions distinguish between "malfunction" and "critical malfunction"

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

well poo poo, my bad. guess the conditions distinguish between "malfunction" and "critical malfunction"

Now all shall know.

I didn't realize killing the first boss made the biome skippable once the gateway was found. And there's a portal to get back to the second boss. I have the most money I've ever had though so I want to find the fabricator room first.

Do bosses stagger?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

KingKapalone posted:

Now all shall know.

I didn't realize killing the first boss made the biome skippable once the gateway was found. And there's a portal to get back to the second boss. I have the most money I've ever had though so I want to find the fabricator room first.

Do bosses stagger?

they don't. the only way you're going to interrupt one of their attacks is by fully draining a lifebar and triggering a phase change

they're basically Enter the Gungeon bosses in that they're just puttering about doing their thing as you frantically pump bullets into them

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Spite posted:

Another log she talks about killing another version of herself. Haven't seen that either. Did they cut multiplayer or something?

There should be a feature where you can find corpses of other players, and get possible loot or a fight out of it. But it seems to be profoundly broken, and only briefly worked during the save-eating patch.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Spite posted:

This stuff was in the patch that was corrupting save files, it was pretty rad

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Finally beat Biome 3. Maybe there's adaptive difficulty or something because it seemed like the game was trying to give me a win button? I got a series of artifacts that sent me a 257% health bar, 40% protection, a spaceman I didn't need to use, low health regen that I didn't need, adrenaline-based health refresh, and a half-dozen adrenaline-maxing items

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

I still can't figure out how the daily challenges work. There are multiple tiers, but I can only do the highest? Only being able to do it once kind of sucks too. Being able to repeat to improve your score would definitely add some replayability.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Carmant posted:

I still can't figure out how the daily challenges work. There are multiple tiers, but I can only do the highest? Only being able to do it once kind of sucks too. Being able to repeat to improve your score would definitely add some replayability.

Yeah it's weird that you can't replay them to try for a better score. Just make the 5 Ether reward a once a day thing.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Insane how much better guns get after a certain breakpoint. They really could have done the scaling a little better but I'm having a great time feeling OP as hell

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Not a Children posted:

Finally beat Biome 3. Maybe there's adaptive difficulty or something because it seemed like the game was trying to give me a win button? I got a series of artifacts that sent me a 257% health bar, 40% protection, a spaceman I didn't need to use, low health regen that I didn't need, adrenaline-based health refresh, and a half-dozen adrenaline-maxing items

It's that combination of gaining more understanding of the game and an expanding item pool sometimes resulting in really strong equipment combos. Plus I'm sure the weapon traits you've been unlocking helped too. It's a good feedback loop!

Except for those times when still you find yourself facing a roomfull of rocket drones and a couple Severed when your only options are "default pistol" and "wide maw shotgun" but that's just how it goes.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Is there a way to see just how much effect you're getting out of the artifact that increases positive parasite effects? Picking it up didn't affect anything on my stats page.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Is there a way to see just how much effect you're getting out of the artifact that increases positive parasite effects? Picking it up didn't affect anything on my stats page.

I'm convinced it only increases future parasite pickups which is bullshit. Before you pick up a new one it says 10% but when you open the menu it will be 15%.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Nope, you just gotta look at the difference between before you pick it up and after. One I noticed was a 15% protection going to 20%. So it's usually like 33%

And yeah I dont think it works for parasites you already have before getting it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I kinda hate biome 4. Or at least I hate how random it is. Whether or not it’s an absolute cakewalk to get through Or a nightmare seems completely rng dependent. It’s fun if I have a fair run but some of them have felt stupidly trollish.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

RatHat posted:

Nope, you just gotta look at the difference between before you pick it up and after. One I noticed was a 15% protection going to 20%. So it's usually like 33%

And yeah I dont think it works for parasites you already have before getting it.

Oh heck, well that's not great. There does seem to be player unfriendly design decisions that I didn't expect coming off of Hades. Little things that dampen your excitement when you discover stuff. For example, you can run out of space to pick up artifacts, but if you find another, you can't swap any of them or drop any. So, do you choose to not pick up the artifacts that you find in case you might need the space for a more powerful one later? Will it even be an issue?

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Oh heck, well that's not great. There does seem to be player unfriendly design decisions that I didn't expect coming off of Hades. Little things that dampen your excitement when you discover stuff. For example, you can run out of space to pick up artifacts, but if you find another, you can't swap any of them or drop any. So, do you choose to not pick up the artifacts that you find in case you might need the space for a more powerful one later? Will it even be an issue?

You can destroy currently held artifacts. Highlight one in the menu and hold square, I think?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I made it to biome 6. I am so, so happy that I never have to do the mandatory challenge room from biome 5 ever again, jesus christ. What a nightmare biome.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

King of Solomon posted:

I made it to biome 6. I am so, so happy that I never have to do the mandatory challenge room from biome 5 ever again, jesus christ. What a nightmare biome.

I just died to that one again. This is torture.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Timotheous Venture posted:

You can destroy currently held artifacts. Highlight one in the menu and hold square, I think?

Yep yep. I typically destroy 2-3 artifacts late in a run once I can replace them with something more useful for my build.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I didn't find challenge room in biome 5 to be too bad, plenty of grapple points to get away or jump down if you're getting a bit overwhelmed

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
One of those curse fuckers in biome 6 gave me -30% protection, jesus. Still managed to find the last sun fragment.

Are cyphers tied to specific rooms? In other words, if I'm 19/20 for cyphers, do I need the right room to spawn or could #20 be in the same place as #19 on a subsequent run?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Specific to random rooms I believe, Biome 2 took me forever, still missing a cypher from 6 but still waiting for a fix to this scout log 9 before I even try hunting it down.