Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Parrotine posted:

Isn't he still working these days? If so I'm generally surprised, thought he would have gotten shut out of directing for sure by this point.

It's been about a year and change since Ray Fisher just publicly outed all the lovely treatment he had to put up with on JL, and the more recent Whedon as a sex pest stuff didn't get traction until that time either.

The Nevers was a huge deal for him because it seemed like Whedon was never going to get another big movie gig and be his prestige Buffy show, and he'd been cut off from that as hard as they can.

I think everyone has seen the blood in the water and now is willing to namedrop Whedon for his behavior. CC, Michelle Trachtenberg, Nicholas Brendan all repeated some extremely damning statements about Whedon on Buffy/Angel they've publicly disclosed before but never managed to get him notoriety for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Skwirl posted:

Whedon developed The Nevers for HBOmax, and directed the first episode but was removed from production before it started airing. Of course if it doesn't get a second season he would have worked on it about the same as if he was never fired.

He wrote it all and directed a couple episodes. His stench is all over it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CelticPredator posted:

I thought he only directed the pilot?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I thought I read something about the rest being resent but that might have been shade about what he did to JL.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Joe Whedon sucked before it turned out he personally did.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-crucifixion-of-courtney-stodden

Incredibly relevant article.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jesus

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

There is so much hosed up poo poo in that article but this

quote:

The media’s treatment of you at the time was incredibly ugly. When I was researching to prepare for this interview, I came across your appearance on Dr. Drew’s show. You were 16 at the time, and Dr. Drew performed an ultrasound of your breasts on his show to prove they were real. And you were a minor. It’s insane to even say out loud.

Like I've been aware that Dr. Drew is kind of a piece of poo poo but jesus christ

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Sirotan posted:

There is so much hosed up poo poo in that article but this

Like I've been aware that Dr. Drew is kind of a piece of poo poo but jesus christ

That motherfucker was trying to get on a council on homelessness in Los Angeles earlier this year and had to withdraw because everyone was like “uh no buddy you suck”

Edit: I have not thought about Courtney Stodden in years but my biggest memory of seeing them on tv was that they were a regular target on The Soup, because I think they had a regular presence on E! and the Soup’s whole thing was predicated on mocking E! especially because that’s what was cheapest for the show but I remember whenever the two of them were brought up it was almost unrelenting and equally about Stodden and Hutchison.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 12, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Came up in the media that aged poorly thread, but the attitude in the 90s and 00s was basically 'racism and sexism are over, so we can make jokes about it and don't need to worry any more!' and it led to some absolutely heinous poo poo between irony poisoning and total lack of self-awareness. Also it became completely taboo to acknowledge power gaps and class issues.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I saw this comment on Reddit and thought it added some background info. It's pretty similar to the way Lindsey Lohan was ultimately torpedoed by parents who saw her just as a cash making machine. It isn't surprising in the least that Lohan was doing a lot better when her mother wasn't around.

quote:

Courtney and Doug were my neighbors in Hollywood Heights/Hightower right when they first got married. I would see them taking their pap walks to coffee bean and Starbucks. They had a specific paparazzo that used to come to their house or do set up shots with Courtney "jogging" in stilettos on the street. They were annoying as gently caress.

Then I watched one of those celebrity therapy shows (might have been another dr. drew show?) that had Courtney and her mother on. HOLY poo poo is her mother hosed up in the head. SHE wanted the fame, SHE wanted a connection to celebrity, and she saw her daughter as a vehicle to get there. Courtney told a story of her mom thinking a 17 year old grocery bagger was cute so she flirted with him and brought him home to meet her daughter. Courtney was 12! And her mom brought her home a 17 year old like she was supposed to "entertain him" in some way.

So obviously Courtney is an easy target to trash and she's a total mess, but her mom was loving her up from a young age, then sold her off to a perverted 50something year old man when she was 15 (they got married right when she turned 16). She's a victim. I don't know how someone would lead the life she led and come out normal. Hate her mom and dad, not Courtney.

edit: at one point Courtney's mom divorced her dad and moved in with Doug and Courtney. Their house was a little 2 bedroom 1 bath (but with great views) so the mom was probably listening to them bang nightly. She was weirdly obsessed with Doug but knew Doug didn't want a grown woman, so she offered him her child.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

DrVenkman posted:

I saw this comment on Reddit and thought it added some background info. It's pretty similar to the way Lindsey Lohan was ultimately torpedoed by parents who saw her just as a cash making machine. It isn't surprising in the least that Lohan was doing a lot better when her mother wasn't around.

Remider that Courtney is non-binary. Respect the pronouns yall.

Anyways, I do remember reading long ago that their mother would take them to movie sets or something like that and it was her, the mother, that introduced Hutchinson to Courtney. I think their mother was sort of stalking the guy? I probably read that in a gossip site, but I swear there was the rumor that Courtney's mom introduced them and was the one telling Courtney how to dress and what not.

It was gossip at the of the day and doesnt excuse that 50 year old pedo's bullshit.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/status/1392493337706369030?s=19

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
The Courtney Stoddard stuff was horrific in hindsite and I think it was something that made me realize I wasn't actually as good a person as I thought I was. I always considered myself a "feminist" and I remember thinking how it was 100 percent grooming/child abuse but I was right there laughing at every joke on their expense. I forget what exactly made me stop but I literally had a moment where I was like holy gently caress the entire country is mocking an abused child and it really made me consider a lot of opinions I had.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah, he was basically just doing the story he wanted to do ten years ago when he was writing The Runaways before it was politely suggested that 'his talent could be better used elsewhere' . Just the first episode is loaded with all the cliches and fetishes he loaded into all his other shows like the twee redhead mechanic that falls for the insecure introvert or the two leads that always refer to each other overly formal so they can punctuate when they drop the formality.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

B-Rock452 posted:

The Courtney Stoddard stuff was horrific in hindsite and I think it was something that made me realize I wasn't actually as good a person as I thought I was. I always considered myself a "feminist" and I remember thinking how it was 100 percent grooming/child abuse but I was right there laughing at every joke on their expense. I forget what exactly made me stop but I literally had a moment where I was like holy gently caress the entire country is mocking an abused child and it really made me consider a lot of opinions I had.

Celeb gossip media in the mid-late 00s was really weirdly vicious, and it was really big in America’s consciousness. At the time I think people thought it was all of these big shots getting taken down a peg, but looking back it’s very obvious that they were just punching down at women and minorities for basically being famous. I’m sure that undercurrent is still there, but the celeb gossip stuff isn’t as popular anymore so it doesn’t get as much attention.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Freaquency posted:

but the celeb gossip stuff isn’t as popular anymore

:psyduck: I mean, the Kardashians.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Freaquency posted:

but the celeb gossip stuff isn’t as popular anymore so it doesn’t get as much attention.

There was about as much reporting on Bennifer possibly getting back together as there was on Israel/Gaza these last two days.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

I’m not saying that there’s no interest in the lives of celebs anymore (Page Six still exists, and presumably so does TMZ), but it doesn’t seem nearly as rabid as it used to be. Maybe I’m just getting older and I’ve aged out of the demo that is targeted by that stuff so I miss it, but we definitely don’t have the monoculture that makes people like Courtney Stodden household names anymore.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Freaquency posted:

I’m not saying that there’s no interest in the lives of celebs anymore (Page Six still exists, and presumably so does TMZ), but it doesn’t seem nearly as rabid as it used to be. Maybe I’m just getting older and I’ve aged out of the demo that is targeted by that stuff so I miss it, but we definitely don’t have the monoculture that makes people like Courtney Stodden household names anymore.

Again, the Kardashians.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Freaquency posted:

Media is more fractured so it's easier to avoid what you aren't interested in, but it's a huge mistake to assume celeb gossip isn't still huge business. If anything, the rise of social media has made it more toxic. There was huge online backlash for Billie Eilish's Vogue cover that you probably completely missed if you don't actively follow Billie Eilish, but if you do it would have been inescapable. And in fact when I googled her to make sure I was spelling her name right the top result is her saying the backlash makes her not want to ever do another magazine cover.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Alhazred posted:

Again, the Kardashians.

I’m not really sure that’s a rebuttal to “as a whole we no longer give much of a poo poo about Z-list celebrities” but do go on

e:

Skwirl posted:

Media is more fractured so it's easier to avoid what you aren't interested in, but it's a huge mistake to assume celeb gossip isn't still huge business. If anything, the rise of social media has made it more toxic. There was huge online backlash for Billie Eilish's Vogue cover that you probably completely missed if you don't actively follow Billie Eilish, but if you do it would have been inescapable. And in fact when I googled her to make sure I was spelling her name right the top result is her saying the backlash makes her not want to ever do another magazine cover.

I think that’s fair - on average we probably hear about fewer low-tier celebs but the people that care about it likely really care about it, and it’s distilled down to just the worst sort of people having the worst sort of discourse.

Freaquency fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 12, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Freaquency posted:

I’m not really sure that’s a rebuttal to “as a whole we no longer give much of a poo poo about Z-list celebrities” but do go on

Khloe Kardashian became a billionaire entirely off people wanting to know every detail of her life despite her not being a singer or actress or having any marketable skills beyond her looks and last name.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Khloe Kardashian became a billionaire entirely off people wanting to know every detail of her life despite her not being a singer or actress or having any marketable skills beyond her looks and last name.

Well the family was massively popular well before that so it stands to reason that they’re still going to get attention, but that really wasn’t my point anyway. I just wanted to point out how outright mean spirited celeb media was a decade ago and how it feels like it’s changed. As I said in my edit above though, you’re probably right that it’s just as bad but now it’s hidden in these little internet niches, and that probably makes it worse.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

If anything, the rise of SoMe has made the gossip industry even bigger.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Freaquency posted:

Well the family was massively popular well before that so it stands to reason that they’re still going to get attention, but that really wasn’t my point anyway. I just wanted to point out how outright mean spirited celeb media was a decade ago and how it feels like it’s changed. As I said in my edit above though, you’re probably right that it’s just as bad but now it’s hidden in these little internet niches, and that probably makes it worse.

Kim Kardashian (and subsequently her whole family) became "massively popular" because of the sex tape she filmed with Ray J.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

How in the world did society think this was remotely ok?

quote:

Another thing that stands out to me is, when I was 17 years old I went on Funny or Die!’s The Donny Clay Show with Jason Alexander. And on the show, the skit was me in a bathing suit—I was a minor—and Doug was sitting next to me, but Jason was in the middle and he was feeling my breasts with his cellphone. It was supposed to be a funny thing, where he turns to the camera and goes, “Come back on the show when you’re 18, and I can have my way with you behind this couch.” I remember looking around and the cameraman and everyone was laughing. I was this joke. A giant, sexual joke. And looking back on all of this stuff, nobody wants to say anything about it. Apparently, it’s OK to treat minors this way.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Kardashian rules. The entire reason she did her show was to raise awareness of Armenian genocide, and now that the US finally officially recognizes it, there ending the show. Mission accomplished.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Nckdictator posted:

How in the world did society think this was remotely ok?

quote:

Another thing that stands out to me is, when I was 17 years old I went on Funny or Die!’s The Donny Clay Show with Jason Alexander. And on the show, the skit was me in a bathing suit—I was a minor—and Doug was sitting next to me, but Jason was in the middle and he was feeling my breasts with his cellphone. It was supposed to be a funny thing, where he turns to the camera and goes, “Come back on the show when you’re 18, and I can have my way with you behind this couch.” I remember looking around and the cameraman and everyone was laughing. I was this joke. A giant, sexual joke. And looking back on all of this stuff, nobody wants to say anything about it. Apparently, it’s OK to treat minors this way.

Out of curiosity I went and looked at said video. IT'S DISGUSTING :barf: And please don't look at the comments, lots of ugly internet people commenting about how hot is seeing a minor being exposed as a piece of meat and molested on camera.

How did they let that happen? What the gently caress?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Wait, is it that Jason Alexander or just some rando internet guy with the same name?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

Wait, is it that Jason Alexander or just some rando internet guy with the same name?

Do you want to be mad or do you want me to lie?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

King Vidiot posted:

George: "well if JERRY can do it"

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Desperado Bones posted:

Out of curiosity I went and looked at said video. IT'S DISGUSTING :barf: And please don't look at the comments, lots of ugly internet people commenting about how hot is seeing a minor being exposed as a piece of meat and molested on camera.

How did they let that happen? What the gently caress?

Watched clips of the video because it was too uncomfortable otherwise. loving yikes.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/IWriteAllDay_/status/1392590259045687297?s=20

Click for full, I guess Chrissy Teigen released a public apology to Courtney Stodden

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Chrissy Teigen left Twitter for almost a month and then came back.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Chrissy Teigen left Twitter for almost a month and then came back.

Chrissy Teigen (who once DM'd an underage teenager telling them to kill themselves because they were very obviously being sexually abused by an adult) quit twitter for a month because of how toxic it was.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Skwirl posted:

Do you want to be mad or do you want me to lie?

George is gettin' upset!

But anyways, umm, so I guess playing Duckman wasn't too big of a stretch for him then.

e: Okay I flipped through the video for a bit, what the gently caress. Like it's not funny, they're a child and they've been apparently starved and augmented and paraded around in a bikini by a sick 50-something psychopath and then humiliated by a washed-up, slumming actor/comedian. I can't believe anybody thought that was okay.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 13, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

George is gettin' upset!

But anyways, umm, so I guess playing Duckman wasn't too big of a stretch for him then.

e: Okay I flipped through the video for a bit, what the gently caress. Like it's not funny, they're a child and they've been apparently starved and augmented and paraded around in a bikini by a sick 50-something psychopath and then humiliated by a washed-up, slumming actor/comedian. I can't believe anybody thought that was okay.

They weren't augmented. Dr Drew personally inspected them so he could announce on television that their breasts were real.

They were also still 16 when this happened.

Courtney did say they didn't eat for three days before an interview because of nerves, so I'd guess they probably also didn't eat for awhile before filming a sketch in a bikini.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I was completely unaware of Courtney Stodden. It was just a piece of pop culture that missed me entirely. The last couple of pages have been a loving trip. An awful one.

It's crazy that, as petty and nasty as he was, WWTDD was somehow nowhere near the worst gossip site and looks almost principled compared to some of their competition.