Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
If the Proud Boys death squads show up at my protest I will simply release a flock of doves as a distraction while I slide down a bannister shooting them in slow motion

Froghammer posted:

I mean, it's the same way gossip works. People actually believing that the election was stolen is less important than everyone knowing that everyone is talking about how some people, somewhere, believe that the election was stolen.

Yeah it's definitely self reinforcing at this point, I just think it matters that the big lie started as a campaign strategy for the Georgia runoffs (that sure worked out for them) and not as some grassroots movement of Republican voters.

https://mobile.twitter.com/OregonZoo/status/1392515269306687492

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

zoux posted:

I can't believe Liz Cheney came up with the plan, and the money, to pay off Stormy Daniels. And also cheated on Melania with her!

Why would Liz Cheney intimidate the Ukraine into investigating Trump, and then frame him for it?!

drat it Liz, is there no end to your scheming?!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Velocity Raptor posted:

Maybe I'm just thinking of a form of purity testing. I haven't been able to find anything on google to back up what I mean, so maybe I'm just dumb.

It's not meant as critique at all! It's just interesting in interrogating ideas like this because it's interesting to see the differences and similarities between different sorts of thought! Also you are not dumb in the least iota, I appreciate your posts at least.

Also this is something I want to talk about at least a little, but what is the difference between "purity testing" as it relates to most things. The way I see it used keeps changing from "We just want X and if you want Y your a bad person" to people asking "Please stop saying that X is good, it's really harmful". It seems as if most groups practice "purity testing" in it's most basic form and it's interesting to see where folks draw a line.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

I know that you got a job Ms Cheney
But your country's chud problem is complicated

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
“Hillary Clinton killed my dog and raped my mom!”

4 years later

“I can’t believe Liz Cheney killed my mom and raped my dog!”

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Josef bugman posted:

It's not meant as critique at all! It's just interesting in interrogating ideas like this because it's interesting to see the differences and similarities between different sorts of thought!

Also this is something I want to talk about at least a little, but what is the difference between "purity testing" as it relates to most things. The way I see it used keeps changing from "We just want X and if you want Y your a bad person" to people asking "Please stop saying that X is good, it's really harmful". It seems as if most groups practice "purity testing" in it's most basic form and it's interesting to see where folks draw a line.

No worries. Reading my post again and it's much more deprecating than I intended. I just honestly don't know where I heard what I was describing and the fact that google isn't helping me dig it up makes me thing that I'm confusing it with something else.

What I meant though, was like some people come together because they're tired of people with pickup trucks in their neighborhood. And they go around and harass people with pickups and go to town meetings to try and get a pickup truck ban implemented. Eventually they succeed and there is no more pickup trucks in the neighborhood. However, there sure are an awful lot of people with vans...

Like, once the cause of the groups founding has been removed, the group looks for other validation to exist.

Thinking on it more, I think it came up during an explanation of Qanon as a group and how they sometimes turned on and ousted one another. In that instance, I guess it would be more ousting someone because they're no longer sufficiently a believer.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I keep wondering if this is going to happen to Romney, but I have a feeling that this particular punishment is because Liz is a woman who talked bad about Trump, and the GOP is slavishly devoted to a mysognist pig and run on an openly mysognist platform.

Like other GOP members voted in favor of impeachment: why just Cheney?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

TulliusCicero posted:

I keep wondering if this is going to happen to Romney, but I have a feeling that this particular spanking is because Liz is a woman who talked bad about Trump, and the GOP is slavishly devoted to a mysognist pig and run on an openly mysognist platform.

Like other GOP members voted in favor if impeachment: why just Cheney?

This is absolutely not going to happen to Romney, because even the most foolish GOP fashies are not foolish enough to deliberately lose a Senate seat.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Wouldn’t Romney have to go through the Senate where there would be way less support for removing anyone on their side?

I’m sure sexism is a part of it for sure, but if he was in the House I think it would be much more likely he would be removed.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

TulliusCicero posted:

I keep wondering if this is going to happen to Romney, but I have a feeling that this particular punishment is because Liz is a woman who talked bad about Trump, and the GOP is slavishly devoted to a mysognist pig and run on an openly mysognist platform.

Like other GOP members voted in favor if impeachment: why just Cheney?

Cheney was a member of the leadership and from an established political dynasty. She's not a backbencher who is going to retire anyway.

Cheney's job involves fundraising and election strategy, and her outspoken stances on "truth" and "democracy" get in the way of that.

Romney doesn't have a formal leadership post. He has been censored by the state party, but he can't be removed from office until the 2024 primary.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Velocity Raptor posted:

Like, once the cause of the groups founding has been removed, the group looks for other validation to exist.

True, but at the same time is that different from an organisation that sets out to improve some municipal thing, succeeds and then demands more? The internal turning on "opponents" that are not true opponents but are people who are simply different is a very common one, but I don't think it is limited to just these particular groups as it were.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/SallyBronston/status/1392523737883455492

Oh okay, I see the problem here, the House minority leader is literally blind and deaf

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

zoux posted:

Oh okay, I see the problem here, the House minority leader is literally blind and deaf

Anyone want to place a bet that he will contradict this statement within the next 3-4 months?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The crazy thing I feel about the "I need a gun to protect myself from crime" is I had one person literally tell me they needed it because there's a gang next to them and well, if they wanted you dead I don't think any amount of armament will help you. They will just burn your house down with you in it.

By extension I think this logic applies to any one or group that insists they need it to protect themselves; whether it be from hypothetical violent criminals or oppressive groups. If they want you dead, they outnumber you and presumably possess considerably less scruples about how they are going to kill you and aren't going to go about it in a way where you have a shot at defending yourself.

I don't think there exists a single situation that doesn't ultimately becomes unable to answer the what if of "What if they set your house on fire?" None.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

TulliusCicero posted:

I'm sure Cheney being a woman has to do with it, but she's also the only one in leadership. I think Kinzinger (at least) had a primary challenger announce, but Republicans can't do much until then.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

Rea posted:

This is absolutely not going to happen to Romney, because even the most foolish GOP fashies are not foolish enough to deliberately lose a Senate seat.

I really don't think Utah would fail to vote Republican even if Zombie Stalin wins the primary. The Republican Party is free to nominate whatever whackjob they want, bending the knee to Dear Leader is all that's necessary.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

zoux posted:

...So they are mad at Cheney for supporting the impeachment of a President who tried to overturn the legitimate election of his rival?

So they just support the overturning of the legitimate election: cool cool

McCarthy has to be the dumbest fucker alive and he just gives the Dems soundbites to play in the suburbs every day until 2022

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Uhhh how is this pipeline attack not an act of war

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

cr0y posted:

No evidence that it’s a state actor

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

cr0y posted:

It was a privateer attack, not a direct Russian (or whoever) government assault.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

BougieBitch posted:

Hm, can you link me on that? My recollection was that it was killed in a ploy to get Lieberman on board, but if you have more information about that I'd like to see it. Here's some recent articles that seem to indicate that at least some of the Dems think they can get it through in reconciliation:
No! I had just inferred that it couldn't get past the Byrd Rule based on 11 years of hearing "we want the public option honest, but that dastardly Lieberman and Lieberman alone took it from you", but if you're telling me now that it could have gone in the 2010 reconciliation bill with the other PPACA fixes all along, but they just didn't wanna and have been lying about why it failed for 11 years, that's pretty damning for the argument that it's the politically practical strategy.

Why would it be any different this time. It's easier to pass legislation with a 10 seat majority than a 0 seat majority, they can't lose a single senator.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 12, 2021

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

zoux posted:

He's not wrong, no one is questioning. They've finished sorting themselves into the camps of whether or not the election was legitimate

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

cr0y posted:

Please don't openly endorse going to war over hacks because some oil company didn't implement a stronger security program.

Love, your friends in Cybersecurity.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

zoux posted:

i think one of the subtexts here is that nobody respects mccarthy, especially cheney, but also trump, and everyone else in the caucus. he's a nothing. trump tolerated having him there because he is a nothing, he'd do what he was told and wouldn't have the spine to say no even if he wanted. the rest of the caucus tolerated having him in because he was basically a sack of hay with a face drawn on it: letting him be in charge didn't elevate any of the warring factions over each other because he's a nothing. he is really, really dumb and him thinking on his own would not be tolerated, but he's not really capable of it - hence, dumb stuff like this.

he finally got pissed off at cheney because she wasn't even hiding her disdain for him anymore and what he was supposed to get out of all of this was people pretending to respect him

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

TwoQuestions posted:

I really don't think Utah would fail to vote Republican even if Zombie Stalin wins the primary. The Republican Party is free to nominate whatever whackjob they want, bending the knee to Dear Leader is all that's necessary.

This is 100% true. To show an easy example of this, look at how the state voted for Trump in 2016. There was a 3rd party Mormon, McMullin, on the ballot and the Mormon church had officially "denounced" Trump (for like a week). Trump still easily won (45.54%), with more than doubled the votes of McMullin (21.54%) and nearly doubled the votes of Clinton (27.46%).

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Josef bugman posted:

True, but at the same time is that different from an organization that sets out to improve some municipal thing, succeeds and then demands more? The internal turning on "opponents" that are not true opponents but are people who are simply different is a very common one, but I don't think it is limited to just these particular groups as it were.

I was able to find what I was thinking of. It was from a video on youtube giving an explanation of how the Alt-Right radicalizes its members and then ostracizes anyone who speaks out - labeling them as an infiltrator trying to push an agenda, resulting in other members being more likely to stay in line else they risk being ousted too.

Here's the video I'm talking about timestamped to the relevant section. (9:32 - 12:47)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P55t6eryY3g&t=572s

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Real curious how the GOP is going to message: "The election is over and legitimate, but the President should not have been impeached because ???" And the Frothing at the mouth senile lunatic ranting at his Hotel and to the internet to anyone who will listen about "MASS VOTER FRAUD! STOP THE STEAL!"

...good thing almost all of their voters are dumb as pig poo poo I guess

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Please don't openly endorse going to war over hacks because some oil company didn't implement a stronger security program.

Love, your friends in Cybersecurity.

I'm actually an ICS cybersecurity goon 🙂. I (incorrectly) thought it was believed to be a Russian actor.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Kind of? I'm not taking a side here but this is a thing that happened depending on your definition of leftist.

'The KKK' is a weird definition of leftist.

(If you read a bit closely, that's actually a right-wing rally being attacked by leftists. The OP asked for an example of a left-wing rally fending off right-wing attackers using guns. Hayes Pond was a KKK rally being attacked by Lumbee Native Americans wielding guns.)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

cr0y posted:

I'm actually an ICS cybersecurity goon 🙂. I (incorrectly) thought it was believed to be a Russian actor.

And that's exactly why we shouldn't treat cyber incidents as "acts of war". Attribution is difficult.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

cr0y posted:

I'm still easily willing to believe it was despite protests, but this is not something you go to war over against a nuclear power.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Velocity Raptor posted:

I was able to find what I was thinking of. It was from a video on youtube giving an explanation of how the Alt-Right radicalizes its members and then ostracizes anyone who speaks out - labeling them as an infiltrator trying to push an agenda, resulting in other members being more likely to stay in line else they risk being ousted too.

Here's the video I'm talking about timestamped to the relevant section. (9:32 - 12:47)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P55t6eryY3g&t=572s

Ahhh got it! Thank you.

But this is an instance where "the alt-right" are not the only people that do this. It's a thing based around communal understanding of things.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

zoux posted:

George P is Jeb's son.

https://twitter.com/MacFarlaneNews/status/1392501746174464014

I can only think of one reason you wouldn't immediately answer that with a no

This is why I take the DOJ/fbi investigation over congress investigation of the 6th and the various Trump election poo poo. All these ghouls will peacock and not recall and etc in front of the cameras and cspan. They don’t in private.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I know "gaslighting" has been thrown around to the point of becoming almost useless but
https://twitter.com/StevenTDennis/status/1392529239145078784

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Josef bugman posted:

Ahhh got it! Thank you.

But this is an instance where "the alt-right" are not the only people that do this. It's a thing based around communal understanding of things.

Yeah, I misremembered what this was referring to and applied it incorrectly. This is starting to get in the weeds now, so lets just end it here since this whole thing started based on me attributing behavior incorrectly.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

TulliusCicero posted:

she a woman

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Velocity Raptor posted:

Yeah, I misremembered what this was referring to and applied it incorrectly. This is starting to get in the weeds now, so lets just end it here since this whole thing started based on me attributing behavior incorrectly.

Got it, but thank you!

Keep safe!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TulliusCicero posted:

don't think any others were in leadership to be expelled. they're not expelling her from the house, just her leadership position.

the expulsions start in the next primary season.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Rea posted:

Well, they did shoot themselves in the foot on two in Georgia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/ArthurDelaneyHP/status/1392487174654861322

Oh my god all the sins against conservativism committed by Trump are gonna turn out to be the evil machinations of the Liberal Liz Cheney!

What is the cost of lies? It’s not that we will mistake them for the truth.
The real danger is that, if we hear enough lies, then we no longer recognize the truth at all.
What can we do then? What else is left but to abandon even the hope of truth and content ourselves instead with stories?
In these stories, it doesn’t matter who the heroes are. All we want to know is who is to blame.