Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

sethsez posted:

I mean, VR fans told them it was a bad idea to focus on the Quest over the Rift successor, to lock the Quest store down, to release the Quest 2 so soon after and focus on it exclusively, to cut corners for a cheaper price, to require Facebook logins, etc etc etc... and they seem to be doing just fine. I hate to give Facebook any credit because Zucc is a big evil rear end in a top hat, but most of their choices that they were told would be bad ideas have either wound up in their favor or (in the case of Facebook logins) not made enough of a dent to slow the momentum.

Their only real stumble has been their failure to make a solid social application / environment yet, which is embarrassing for them. They've been almost Google-like in how many different attempts they've made and abandoned.

Sure, but I'm talking about years ago when the Quest was just getting started, it was in large part due to pushes from Carmack. Of course once they started showing it off and people got to try it out, by that point anyone who couldn't tell that was the future was just stubbornly denying what their eyes were telling them. I still don't feel though that the Quest is a result of their clear vision for what VR could and should be, they largely lucked out by having Carmack drag them to it kicking and screaming. I don't think they're dumb, so they're clearly pushing it now, but I think they don't have a good vision, which means that I think that progress from them will still come slowly, which means there's room for other people to beat them to the punch.

And I totally think the struggle with social is a result of that lack of vision; I tried out Facebook Horizon a bit because I got in the beta, and I don't think it's going to be particularly successful either, and that's because it feels like a paint by numbers of features that are expected of a primarily social VR experience. It's competently done, you can build some kinda neat stuff with the built in tools, it's possible to jump between different worlds and join your friends, and it's so completely soulless that I really can't picture it taking off. They have the resources to do anything they want to do, and the things they want to do are just uninspired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

EbolaIvory posted:

This.

Just use the default window and in game options, grab OBS (i prefer normal obs for a zillion reasons as a "professional streamer", so eh on streamlabs obs for what your doing for sure if its just homie stuff) and game capture it then fire it off to any streaming service. Or use discord if its just for the homies and they want to like watch live.

VOD wise, youtube lets you shove the highest bitrate, recommend there if you're not trying to be streamer guy and just capture a vod easy.

Sweet, good to know. Any solutions on how to see chat in game? just enable notification sounds and press the home button to pull up my desktop feed? This is my first time playing so i'm not so sure i was some kind of in game overlay.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Stan Taylor posted:

Sweet, good to know. Any solutions on how to see chat in game? just enable notification sounds and press the home button to pull up my desktop feed? This is my first time playing so i'm not so sure i was some kind of in game overlay.

Twitch side, LIV has streamer kit, its free. its easy to setup. Just download LIV on steam and run the streamerkit option. theres some built in opens for it.

Otherwise, its a sea of window grabbing apps and depending on the week i might use a different one.

Third Edition
Nov 25, 2008
I get brutal lag through Air Link (i.e. up to 5 seconds before the quest 2 realizes I've turned my head) just on the home screen but Virtual Desktop runs everything silky smooth. Any ideas? Google said to make sure the bitrate is set to auto, which it is.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Third Edition posted:

I get brutal lag through Air Link (i.e. up to 5 seconds before the quest 2 realizes I've turned my head) just on the home screen but Virtual Desktop runs everything silky smooth. Any ideas? Google said to make sure the bitrate is set to auto, which it is.

I have the same issue and I'm just chalking it up to AirLink still being unfinished.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Lemming posted:

Sure, but I'm talking about years ago when the Quest was just getting started, it was in large part due to pushes from Carmack. Of course once they started showing it off and people got to try it out, by that point anyone who couldn't tell that was the future was just stubbornly denying what their eyes were telling them. I still don't feel though that the Quest is a result of their clear vision for what VR could and should be, they largely lucked out by having Carmack drag them to it kicking and screaming. I don't think they're dumb, so they're clearly pushing it now, but I think they don't have a good vision, which means that I think that progress from them will still come slowly, which means there's room for other people to beat them to the punch.

And you can't exactly claim Carmack had a crystal clear vision of VR because he spent years arguing against hand tracked controllers. That still boggles my mind.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Third Edition posted:

If you've ever messed with anything in the Oculus debug tool that could be your problem, even if you haven't it's probably worth double checking.

It's located at
C:\Program files\Oculus\Support\Oculus-diagnostics\Oculus Debug Tool\

Select the number value next to encode bitrate (mbps) and set it to 0 and press enter. Then click file at the top, and select restart as administrator. Allow it to run, and then make sure the value still says 0 afterwards. If it doesn’t say 0 after the restart, do it one more time.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I suppose those new oculus style vive controllers will be focus 3 only and wont support lighthouse tracking.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Tip posted:

And you can't exactly claim Carmack had a crystal clear vision of VR because he spent years arguing against hand tracked controllers. That still boggles my mind.

I totally agree! I just mean that, by and large, success in VR is a result of people just kind of lucking into finding out what works and what doesn't. I think that means there's still room for people who really get it on some level other people aren't to build something that really goes next level, since I don't think Facebook is going to make that happen in the near future, beyond pushing what they already have.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I suppose those new oculus style vive controllers will be focus 3 only and wont support lighthouse tracking.

Nope. There's really not a lot of R&D in the Pro 2 from what can be seen, it's just reaping the benefits of the Focus 3's new display and the rest is largely recycled tech and form factor.

Lemming posted:

And I totally think the struggle with social is a result of that lack of vision; I tried out Facebook Horizon a bit because I got in the beta, and I don't think it's going to be particularly successful either, and that's because it feels like a paint by numbers of features that are expected of a primarily social VR experience. It's competently done, you can build some kinda neat stuff with the built in tools, it's possible to jump between different worlds and join your friends, and it's so completely soulless that I really can't picture it taking off. They have the resources to do anything they want to do, and the things they want to do are just uninspired.

You're forgetting the branding and intent; It gets all the boomers and vocal little groups in somewhere they can talk and generate marketable opinions to sell and be sold to while generating biometric data. Simple will work for the non-tech-savvy users.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 12, 2021

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Tip posted:

If you've ever messed with anything in the Oculus debug tool that could be your problem, even if you haven't it's probably worth double checking.

It's located at
C:\Program files\Oculus\Support\Oculus-diagnostics\Oculus Debug Tool\

Select the number value next to encode bitrate (mbps) and set it to 0 and press enter. Then click file at the top, and select restart as administrator. Allow it to run, and then make sure the value still says 0 afterwards. If it doesn’t say 0 after the restart, do it one more time.

I was having the same problem earlier today, and this completely fixed it for me. Thanks!

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're forgetting the branding and intent; It gets all the boomers and vocal little groups in somewhere they can talk and generate marketable opinions to sell and be sold to while generating biometric data. Simple will work for the non-tech-savvy users.

Uh, sure, but what I'm saying is I don't think it's very good and it won't attract that many people to it.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I wish there was a 3rd party market for VR controllers, I'd totally buy whatever oculus wannabe madkatz controller if it meant having that on the vive or it's brethren.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I wish there was a 3rd party market for VR controllers, I'd totally buy whatever oculus wannabe madkatz controller if it meant having that on the vive or it's brethren.

Stuff pops up but the problem is itll be some company that promises something (etee comes to mind instantly), can't pull through, makes excuses, goes back and forth, sometimes with a lovely release, sometimes with no release, then a sudden revision, abandoning old versions.

ugh. I agree though. I'd be a vr accessory slut if there was some mad catz companies.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I'm still surprised Logitech haven't made something, given they made the VR ink stylus.

My money would still be on Tundra Labs making something eventually, if nobody else does. They make the best SteamVR HDK and they seem to know how to iterate consumer VR devices now with the Tundra Tracker.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Relatively new to VR and very much enjoying my Quest 2 and this thread. So far I’ve tried Beat Saber, Super Hot, Walking Dead, Fruit Ninja, Drunken Bar Fight (wireless) and Star Wars Squadrons and Project Cars (plugged into my PC). Any recommendations for must see games / experiences / cool poo poo would be gratefully received!

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
Lies Beneath is pretty cool. Great graphic comic style and it hits the creepy tone quite well. VERY difficult though.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

smellmycheese posted:

Relatively new to VR and very much enjoying my Quest 2 and this thread. So far I’ve tried Beat Saber, Super Hot, Walking Dead, Fruit Ninja, Drunken Bar Fight (wireless) and Star Wars Squadrons and Project Cars (plugged into my PC). Any recommendations for must see games / experiences / cool poo poo would be gratefully received!

Eleven Table Tenniissssssssss

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

smellmycheese posted:

Lone Echo for sure. That game has such a "look at how cool VR can be" vibe.

I played Pixel Ripped 95 just recently and, it's pretty short but otherwise it's really great. If you grew up in the 90s playing SNES games it definitely feels like going back to the 90s. I didn't really expect it to, because of the art style, but it just works.

I think Five Nights at Freddies: Help Wanted is actually kinda cool and worth it, even though Five Nights at Freddies is stupid. It's better in VR than the other Five Nights at Freddies for obvious reasons.

Edit: I'm playing FFI in 3DSen VR right now, and it rules. Just watch some videos it's way better than you'd expect it to be.

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 07:24 on May 12, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Some new options in SteamVR
https://steamcommunity.com/app/250820/announcements

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I think the closest we got was the Razer Hydra, which last time I checked still goes for insane money on eBay.

Not sure what people are doing with them in 2021, but back in the day you could use them to add Vive-wand-esque controllers to HMD’s like the DK2 that used only Xbox one controllers

Back when I was still rocking the Monoculus Rift, I was on the hunt for a set of hydras but they were always priced crazy high

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I had a pair back when it was the only option for hand tracking in VRChat, it was extremely janky. Wish I had kept them. Build quality was phenomenal though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The Vive Pro 2 HMD has gotten an Australian price of $1299AUD :eyepop:.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

smellmycheese posted:

Im having a blast playing Echo VR.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Great suggestion so far! Keep em coming!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I've been talking about it the last few pages but Blaston is an awesome 1v1 sorta Superhot Duel kind of thing that is a whole lot of fun. Like a slow-mo bullet hell and you have to avoid all the shots while killing your opponent. It's also deceptively exhausting and kind of a low-key fitness game because hooboy the lower body workout you will get from it.. :sweatdrop:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

smellmycheese posted:

Great suggestion so far! Keep em coming!

Did I somehow not see HL:Alyx in your list? That should be number one with a bullet imo

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
My two favorite games right now are Phasmophobia and Demeo. Check out some videos, because you definitely need to like janky horror and board games. I also think the Vader Immortal games and the Jurassic Park Alien Isolation clone are more fun than most people give them credit for. But skip Tales from the Galaxy's Edge unless you need to play every Star Wars game.

Also one of the best parts of VR is watching people play it for the first time. If you already have Beat Saber, get Richie's Plank Experience.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

smellmycheese posted:

Pistol Whip

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Professor Wayne posted:

If you already have Beat Saber, get Richie's Plank Experience.

I scanned a plank in last night a freaked out the my friend and his wife!

https://oculusapplab.com/ has a bunch of free games too

Gorilla Tag and Open Brush are neat and my kiddo loved playing Elixir

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Synth Riders + Noodle Manager for custom songs (if you're on PC).

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Finally played some Demeo and it was a blast. Not sure if it would have been as entertaining without the British guy and his Romanian significant other arguing tactics heatedly with each other. For some reason they were a hoot.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I played a game the other night with a guy from Poland who would get furious if anyone did or suggested anything he didn't want to do. It was great.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Have anyone tried this?
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/n9f9d9/reducing_fov_for_performance_40100_fps/

By the way, maybe it was my wifi acting up, but I was noticing clear compression and compromised image quality while playing Raw Data with Air Link. Although I suspect it was just because the game was full of moving detail: from a floor with some kind of 'energy field' effect with an animated noise texture to smoke at every side. The enemy of video compression, I guess. I should try and compare with VD, to see who deals best against it.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 12, 2021

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
I moved recently and got an upgraded VR space. So long 6x6 kitchen with lots of sharp edges to bang against. Hello 9x13 space with heavy duty gymnastics mats!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
It's funny, after the VR announcement the other day, I've noticed that Facebook is heavily advertising the Quest2 with "A trip to space is only $299 away". I basically never post on FB and while I have a CV1 linked to my personal account, I have to think these ads were specifically targeted at me after the announcement and not before...

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Drug Free Since: Lunch
I just got an eye exam for the first time in like 2 years so I was all ready to pull the trigger on some vroptician lenses. My eyes are dogshit however (like -8.5/-9, both cyl at -3.75) and the lenses cost a cool $169. I still wanna get em, but before I do, are there any other places I should shop around at before I pull the trigger with vroptician?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

kaptainkaffeine posted:

I just got an eye exam for the first time in like 2 years so I was all ready to pull the trigger on some vroptician lenses. My eyes are dogshit however (like -8.5/-9, both cyl at -3.75) and the lenses cost a cool $169. I still wanna get em, but before I do, are there any other places I should shop around at before I pull the trigger with vroptician?

If you go look on Etsy there are lots of cheap 3d printed lens holders designed to work with the cheapest pair of glasses from Zenni optical. My mom did it and I think she spent like $25 total and she's very happy with them.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

The new SteamVR settings for reducing FoV works pretty well at least, although the black borders move noticeably if you are reprojecting a lot.

It would be cool if they could fill the blanked out area with blurred out scene colors instead of leaving it black. It seems like it would make a big difference on any moving borders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

kaptainkaffeine posted:

Even though VROptician said it would be 4-6 weeks for delivery to the US, I received my lenses in five calendar days after ordering. Ordered on Thursday, got them the following Tuesday. While zenni optical/3-d printed lens holders are a method to save $$, if you want to be assured of quality, you've got to pony up the dough. Worth it, IMO, but I don't have a 3-d printer or the patience to browse etsy.