Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Skwirl posted:

maybe Shanghai Noon, but I haven't seen that since it was in theaters.

neither have i but i'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's not good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Where my The Tuxedo-heads at?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

That's the first movie I ever walked out of.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i recently rewatched Rush Hour and on browsing the trivia discovered that Rotten Tomatoes was specifically invented by a Jackie Chan fan to consolidate reviews of that movie. another great movie with a terrible legacy.

For the longest time I thought RT came from moviepoopshoot.com

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I remember watching it on a plane as a kid shortly after it came out. I had really really wanted to see it in theaters but didn't, and then remember being disappointed watching it. So a few years ago I randomly threw it on to see if it was maybe a hidden gem or something.

Nope, awful. Just bad. There's one good scene which is when Jackie first puts on the Tuxedo and basically has to act like its controlling him and it's fantastic physical acting from the master, but beyond that just total rubbish.

I know there's a popular video essay about how Hong Kong vs. America cuts action scenes with Jackie Chan as the focus, but it really is just striking how little American directors understood what makes Jackie Chan special. Rush Hour gets the closest but it's still sloppy even when compared to some of the more middling stuff Chan did in Hong Kong.

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing

Skwirl posted:

Rush Hour and Rush Hour 2 are basically the only American Jackie Chan films I can recommend without reservation, maybe Shanghai Noon, but I haven't seen that since it was in theaters.

Rush Hour 2 is such a great, breezy, entertaining movie. It's weird that a Ratner film could be so good.

Best part is how they go get information from Don Cheadle, who points them to a guy who's been gambling some questionable bills. They go to talk to the guy, he panics immediately when he sees them and runs through a door leading them right to the 3rd act of the film. It makes no sense and it's bad detective work, but whatever, it keeps things moving along really well.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I watched Cleo from 5 to 7, it was basically all three Before movies condensed into 90 minutes. I liked it a lot!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Cleo From 5 to 7 is the best movie of the French New Wave.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/cevangelista413/status/1392554965105840129?s=19

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Two months ago I would have said Armie Hammer was the worst casting for that film.

Edit: How did the Orient Express film get a sequel, I didn't hear anything about it immediately after it was released, I'd assumed it was a flop.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Skwirl posted:

Two months ago I would have said Armie Hammer was the worst casting for that film.

Edit: How did the Orient Express film get a sequel, I didn't hear anything about it immediately after it was released, I'd assumed it was a flop.

It made 100 million in the US, and an additional 250 million in the rest of the world.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Cafe Barbarian posted:

Rush Hour 2 is such a great, breezy, entertaining movie. It's weird that a Ratner film could be so good.

Best part is how they go get information from Don Cheadle, who points them to a guy who's been gambling some questionable bills. They go to talk to the guy, he panics immediately when he sees them and runs through a door leading them right to the 3rd act of the film. It makes no sense and it's bad detective work, but whatever, it keeps things moving along really well.

Was Rush Hour 2 the one where Chris Tucker says that all Asians look alike? Because that was very and a horrible stain on what is otherwise a fun movie.

edit: I haven't seen either of those movies in a long time so I feel like both of them probably have not great things related to race going on because Brett Ratner.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 13, 2021

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The only thing I remember about Rush Hour 2 is one of the bloopers where Chris Tucker goes "drat, he's not going to be in Rush Hour 3" in response to a dude falling to his death.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Roth posted:

The only thing I remember about Rush Hour 2 is one of the bloopers where Chris Tucker goes "drat, he's not going to be in Rush Hour 3" in response to a dude falling to his death.

It's really terrible and even when I was a teenage dipshit I thought this was a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cif2ol6hEsI

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Doesn't Jackie Chan also say the n-word in one of them?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Roth posted:

I can't remember but probably. I think they did some "cute" culture clash scene where he was trying to talk like Chris Tucker. I haven't seen those movies in a really long time.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 13, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Roth posted:

The first one, but it's fine. It's him having no idea what the word means and copying Tucker when he's being friendly.

Tucker says "What's up my n------" to a guy and then they do a handshake half hug thing and later when Tucker leaves Chan alone with a group of Black men he repeats the phrase, and everyone gets upset. I don't think the joke would get written today, but it's not bad.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

The first one, but it's fine. It's him having no idea what the word means and copying Tucker when he's being friendly.

Tucker says "What's up my n------" to a guy and then they do a handshake half hug thing and later when Tucker leaves Chan alone with a group of Black men he repeats the phrase, and everyone gets upset. I don't think the joke would get written today, but it's not bad.

Slightly more than a decade ago there was a movie where an A-list Hollywood actor did blackface as well as the other A-list actor who directed the film doing something extremely ableist and the former was even nominated for an Academy Award. The Academy rarely recognizes comedy performances and that was the loving one they went with.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
What an extremely roundabout way to describe something.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

CPL593H posted:

Slightly more than a decade ago there was a movie where an A-list Hollywood actor did blackface as well as the other A-list actor who directed the film doing something extremely ableist and the former was even nominated for an Academy Award. The Academy rarely recognizes comedy performances and that was the loving one they went with.

Granted I’m white as hell, but this feels real close to saying Martin Scorsese approves of Jordan Belfort’s actions.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

CPL593H posted:

I kind of get the RDJ bit because he's playing a character that's so inept and egotistical that he doesn't get why what he's doing is wrong, and other characters call him out repeatedly for it. I'm more uncomfortable with Tom Cruise's "greedy and aggressive jew" character, even if it was apparently a dig at Weinstein.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm more uncomfortable with Tom Cruise's "greedy and aggressive jew" character, even if it was apparently a dig at Weinstein.

Scott Rudin, actually. I was reminded about that when all the recent stuff about Rudin came out.

Hoop Dreams
Oct 21, 2010

CPL593H posted:

RDJ and Ben Stiller's characters are both idiots. It's taking a piss out of actors. Method actors who go to extremes like blackface and actors who want to be taken seriously and win awards by performing ableism are not shown positively. So I think there is a nuance there.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Tropic Thunder is really one of the trickiest films when it comes to this poo poo. There's so many layers of irony and having it both ways going on that it's almost brilliant in its deliberate offensiveness. I dunno, it's absolutely one that defies simple pass/fail categorization.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Tropic Thunder uses blackface to critique Hollywood. Egotistic actors, studios that will hire a white/straight/cis actor to portray poc/gay/trans characters and then say the actor is so brave for doing it, etc. But the fact that it uses blackface to critique an absurd and racist institution does not excuse it from criticism for balckface. People can absolutely have valid objections to how Tropic Thunder uses blackface.

But to just say "it has blackface, therefore it is in the same category of bad as Amos and Andy" is not good criticism.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I get the joke. But when you have black people telling you personally and see black people in media saying it's bad I'm going to go ahead and say my lily white rear end doesn't get to decide it's okay. Jokes can be bad jokes. And I will outright say I thought the movie was hilarious when it came out. But I was also in my early 20s and at the very least it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The Oscars are also so white that it's been controversial in recent years. So imagine being a black actor that year and having your performance overlooked because they had a slot for someone doing blackface. At the very least the whole thing is a bad look. That said if anyone here is black and doesn't think I should be offended on your behalf I will gladly take a seat.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Zoolander is better than Tropic Thunder because TT has, like, themes and character arcs and things. It's basically a real movie, whereas Zoolander commits fully to being a series of somewhat-related dumb skits.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Kazzah posted:

Zoolander is better than Tropic Thunder because TT has, like, themes and character arcs and things. It's basically a real movie, whereas Zoolander commits fully to being a series of somewhat-related dumb skits.

Thats exactly why I would say Tropic Thunder is a better movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

So much from Tropic Thunder pops in my head at random points during the week it’s insane.

“Pop an rear end open!”

“Mmm more beeeeans!”

“I’m the dude playin the dude disguised as another dude!”

“Here we go again...again...”

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I should also say that I don't think anyone is a horrible monster if they like movies with problematic elements. But I think it's okay for people to be like "No, this is not okay.". I'm sure every single one of us likes some problematic movies and I don't exclude myself. But in my case I feel like Tropic Thunder might be going too far.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I should also say that I don't think anyone is a horrible monster if they like movies with problematic elements. But I think it's okay for people to be like "No, this is not okay.". I'm sure every single one of us likes some problematic movies and I don't exclude myself. But in my case I feel like Tropic Thunder might be going too far.

That's absolutely fair. And sorta my attitude as well but we all draw our own lines.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

TrixRabbi posted:

Tropic Thunder is really one of the trickiest films when it comes to this poo poo. There's so many layers of irony and having it both ways going on that it's almost brilliant in its deliberate offensiveness. I dunno, it's absolutely one that defies simple pass/fail categorization.

Speaking of older movies that defy pass/fail on this stuff, I watched Big Trouble in Little China and while I think its undermining of Russel as a hero and its love for Hong Kong action make it transcend what at first seems like pretty icky stuff, having not one but two setpieces set around sex work and trafficking of Asian women is indefensible in 2021.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Laying on the couch, minding my own business, watching the new (final) season of Castlevania on Netflix, and I was stung on my mid right flank by a tiny bark scorpion that somehow made it's way indoors.

Big welt where the stinger went in, followed by a strong numb pain around it. Gotta let the venom run it's course, but gently caress if this isn't unpleasant. Been probably 15 years since this happened to me last.

I'm not even gonna get invited to Mortal Kombat afterwards. This stinks.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Fellas, fellas, please! Cogent, reasonable arguments without resorting to hyperbole and ad hominem attacks, and respectfully acknowledging the other side's views without agreeing with them is not how it's done! This is the Internet! I can't believe nobody even mentioned Hitler.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Paul Walter Hauser is right. But it also goes both ways, like Disney and their Girlboss pandering leading people to elevate mediocre poo poo because it expressed politics you personally agree with. I get it, but you're fooling yourself if you don't think a lot of current criticism wasn't done with one eye on the reviewer thinking how they'll be perceived for liking/disliking something. Are we really going to pretend that we don't see it when someone mentions a piece of Art and someone else instantly wants to remind them of some *problematic* part of it?

Personally I think it's a problem that be best avoided by ignoring social media (which you also can't do because too many writers rely on it). It's an age where anything can be clipped, taken out of context and misconstrued to the wrong crowd.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

therattle posted:

Fellas, fellas, please! Cogent, reasonable arguments without resorting to hyperbole and ad hominem attacks, and respectfully acknowledging the other side's views without agreeing with them is not how it's done! This is the Internet! I can't believe nobody even mentioned Hitler.

I sent a scorpion after Gonz, that's how you do it right, right?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Grendels Dad posted:

I sent a scorpion after Gonz, that's how you do it right, right?

That's more like it. Or something foul. Or at least threaten to do it. It helps if you have an uncle or cousin who was/is in the special forces and can help you beat up your opponent.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

therattle posted:

Take that back or my Navy SEAL uncle will garrote you in the middle of the night you [insert racial slur].

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kazzah posted:

Comedies should be actual movies, not a series of wacky improv scenes that barely connect. Unless that's like, literally the idea, like Monty Python and The Meaning of Life.

Gonz posted:

Laying on the couch, minding my own business, watching the new (final) season of Castlevania on Netflix, and I was stung on my mid right flank by a tiny bark scorpion that somehow made it's way indoors.

Big welt where the stinger went in, followed by a strong numb pain around it. Gotta let the venom run it's course, but gently caress if this isn't unpleasant. Been probably 15 years since this happened to me last.

I'm not even gonna get invited to Mortal Kombat afterwards. This stinks.

Use a snakebite tourniquet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

therattle posted:

Edit: wow, thank you for the gold and karma, gentle-sirs and ladypeople! I tip my hat to you all, oh ho ho!